05-20-2024, 10:17 AM   #1
Sat Pat
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2025 X7 40i

New 2025 X7 Owner: A Few Questions

Hi all,
I picked up my 2025 X7 40i last month, and have been enjoying it and learning all its many features (and a few quirks) since then. I’m also new to the BMW brand, coming from over 15 years in various Audis. Hope some of you guys can answer a few questions that I have:

1. Does anyone else find the reflection of the driver’s side A/C vent trim in the mirror to be too distracting? Every time I look at the driver’s side mirror, my brain needs an additional second or two to parse through the various layers of reflections to read the neighboring lane. It’s not only distracting but also potentially dangerous. Am I missing something or is it bad design on BMW’s part? I don’t want to wrap the silver trim because that’s the factory design and it will look odd.

2. I have DHP and can easily feel the Integrated Active Steering working every time I take a sharp turn. Sometimes I can also see the rear wheels turning in the rear mirrors. However how can I tell when the Active Comfort Drive with Road Preview is working (other than by doing a back-to-back test drive of a non-DHP X7 on the same road)? The ride is generally comfortable but I can’t tell how and how much DHP is contributing to it. Any signature indications I should be looking for? I also did not find much information online regarding this feature. A few brief Google and YouTube searches only surfaced some basic information that was old and/or not X7-specific, and not too detailed in any case. How far ahead can it see, are there any indications that it detected a pothole and adjusted the suspension, etc.?

3. Same general question as #2 but for active roll stabilization. I don’t even see it listed in the spec. sheet as a standard or optional feature. Does it have a different or formal name? Sometimes when I’m switching from R to D or vice versa, I can feel one side of the car raising/lowering. Which feature is doing it?

Thanks!
Attached Images

Last edited by Sat Pat; 05-20-2024 at 10:50 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2024, 11:00 AM   #2
mattsrs
Major
Rep
Drives: X7

The reflection has been there since 2019 and nothing can be done about it. It gets worse when you tint the windows. It annoyed me the first time I noticed it but over time, my brain ignores the reflection I think and I haven't noticed it or hasn't bothered me
Appreciate 2
Sat Pat101.00
Cam330i257.00
      05-20-2024, 06:36 PM   #3
Sat Pat
Private
United_States
Rep

Thanks, I figured as much. FWIW, I added 50% tint in the front and haven't noticed that the reflection has gotten any worse. Or maybe it was already bad enough that I didn't really notice it getting worse. I'll just give it some time and hope that my eyes and brain will adjust to it.
Alternatively, I'll just start driving with the windows down. That'll cure the reflections as well as the weak air conditioning - two birds one stone, and all that.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2024, 11:34 AM   #4
Rangerbmr
Rep
Drives: 2024 X7 40i

Garage List
2024 BMW x40i  [7.50]
I’m as irritated as you on the dash reflections. I found wearing sunglasses mitigates the various glares. Hard to believe a 100k auto has these types of issues I hope you better luck than me with your X7. Our 2024 has been a bust for us. Two major recalls, a replacement of the screen and head unit. Wife won’t drive it at all with brake recall with no remedy. Sucking it up and trading for non bmw. Good luck.
Appreciate 1
Sat Pat101.00
      05-21-2024, 03:00 PM   #5
Tyriondo
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW X7 40d M Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangerbmr View Post
I’m as irritated as you on the dash reflections. I found wearing sunglasses mitigates the various glares.
I use polarized sunglasses all the time while driving. I believe that's the reason I have never felt any reflections in the car.
Appreciate 1
Sat Pat101.00
      05-21-2024, 05:55 PM   #6
Sat Pat
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I’m as irritated as you on the dash reflections. I found wearing sunglasses mitigates the various glares. Hard to believe a 100k auto has these types of issues I hope you better luck than me with your X7. Our 2024 has been a bust for us. Two major recalls, a replacement of the screen and head unit. Wife won’t drive it at all with brake recall with no remedy. Sucking it up and trading for non bmw. Good luck.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyriondo View Post
I use polarized sunglasses all the time while driving. I believe that's the reason I have never felt any reflections in the car.
Thanks both for your responses - will try wearing sunglasses. The problem there is that because I wear glasses, swapping the sunglasses on and off gets annoying for short trips, which is the bulk of my driving.

Rangerbmr Sorry to hear about your troubles. Which car are you considering next?
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2024, 02:14 PM   #7
Rangerbmr
Rep
Drives: 2024 X7 40i

Garage List
2024 BMW x40i  [7.50]
We are going back to the GLS--a 2025 GLS450. We have had three over the past 10 years- without even a minor mechanical problem.Wifey loves them--in return I get my 1966 Corvette..I did enjoy the X7 handling but over all was unimpressed with workmanship, materials and how uncomfortable the seats were on a 6 hour trip. We focused on it for hauling grandchildren which the GLS does fine. best of luck
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2024, 02:29 PM   #8
rjabend
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW X7 xDrive40i

Garage List
2024 X7  [6.50]
Quote:
We are going back to the GLS--a 2025 GLS450. We have had three over the past 10 years- without even a minor mechanical problem.Wifey loves them--in return I get my 1966 Corvette..I did enjoy the X7 handling but over all was unimpressed with workmanship, materials and how uncomfortable the seats were on a 6 hour trip. We focused on it for hauling grandchildren which the GLS does fine. best of luck
Surprisingly, I have been finding as of late that MB has a lower reliability rating than BMW.

Mercedes-Benz
Predicted Reliability Score: 23
Average Yearly Maintenance Costs: $908

Last edited by rjabend; 05-24-2024 at 03:51 PM..
Appreciate 4
Kalvis19.50
LVBMW2364.00
      05-29-2024, 09:09 AM   #9
Sat Pat
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Cool, GLS is a great car. If I could justify having two luxury 7-seaters in my garage, I'd have a GLS and an X7. Every time I see one now, I think of it as 'the one that got away'
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2024, 09:45 AM   #10
omnid00d
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X7 M50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sat Pat View Post
Cool, GLS is a great car. If I could justify having two luxury 7-seaters in my garage, I'd have a GLS and an X7. Every time I see one now, I think of it as 'the one that got away'
I personally prefer the look of the GLS and the added utility over the X7. Every time I see one on the road, I always catch myself looking at it. I just enjoy the x7 ride a lot more.
Appreciate 2
      05-29-2024, 12:20 PM   #11
LVBMW
Major
Rep
Drives: '24 iX M60 '23 Tesla Model Y-P

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjabend View Post
Surprisingly, I have been finding as of late that MB has a lower reliability rating than BMW.

Mercedes-Benz
Predicted Reliability Score: 23
Average Yearly Maintenance Costs: $908
Definitely. BMW was recently rated #1 by Consumer Reports. MB was near the absolute bottom. None of their tested models were recommended.
Appreciate 3
      06-02-2024, 03:02 PM   #12
DeutschesAuto
Rep
Drives: BMW X7

Quote:
Polarized sunglasses will cause your HUD view to dim considerably. Just FYI.
Appreciate 1
Tyriondo160.50
      06-04-2024, 04:29 AM   #13
ok31
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '24 iX 50

Not to hijack the thread but also a new owner here and have a few nagging questions.

First- should there be anything like a shelf or divider in the glovebox? It looks like there are some ports but I see nothing there. Car had 25 miles on it so they were detailing and prepping it but when uninstalling the mats they forgot the Velcro tabs and it’s making me wonder what else they “forgot”

Second- does any/every one have locks on the wheels or is that not a thing any more? My iX that was “traded” had them
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2024, 04:39 AM   #14
rjabend
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW X7 xDrive40i

Garage List
2024 X7  [6.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ok31 View Post

Second- does any/everyone have locks on the wheels or is that not a thing anymore? My iX that was “traded” had them
The 1st time I moved to California (LA), a wheel and tire were immediately stolen. Locks ever since, but they are not fool-proof. Since that event all my vehicles have carefully chosen locks. Crime is definitely not improving.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2024, 05:29 AM   #15
Tyriondo
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW X7 40d M Sport

Garage List
Quote:
The 1st time I moved to California (LA), a wheel and tire were immediately stolen. Locks ever since, but they are not fool-proof. Since that event all my vehicles have carefully chosen locks. Crime is definitely not improving.
Check the Rimgard for wheel protection.

https://us.rimgard.com/
Appreciate 2
Heimdall139.00
      06-30-2024, 09:45 PM   #16
Mike Meyers
Rep
Drives: 16 X5M

Reflection in door mirrors

Has anyone tried wrapping the dash trim? Should do away with the reflection.
Appreciate 1
Heimdall139.00
      06-30-2024, 11:18 PM   #17
RJC-1
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW M850XI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sat Pat View Post
Hi all,
I picked up my 2025 X7 40i last month, and have been enjoying it and learning all its many features (and a few quirks) since then. I’m also new to the BMW brand, coming from over 15 years in various Audis. Hope some of you guys can answer a few questions that I have:

1. Does anyone else find the reflection of the driver’s side A/C vent trim in the mirror to be too distracting? Every time I look at the driver’s side mirror, my brain needs an additional second or two to parse through the various layers of reflections to read the neighboring lane. It’s not only distracting but also potentially dangerous. Am I missing something or is it bad design on BMW’s part? I don’t want to wrap the silver trim because that’s the factory design and it will look odd.

2. I have DHP and can easily feel the Integrated Active Steering working every time I take a sharp turn. Sometimes I can also see the rear wheels turning in the rear mirrors. However how can I tell when the Active Comfort Drive with Road Preview is working (other than by doing a back-to-back test drive of a non-DHP X7 on the same road)? The ride is generally comfortable but I can’t tell how and how much DHP is contributing to it. Any signature indications I should be looking for? I also did not find much information online regarding this feature. A few brief Google and YouTube searches only surfaced some basic information that was old and/or not X7-specific, and not too detailed in any case. How far ahead can it see, are there any indications that it detected a pothole and adjusted the suspension, etc.?

3. Same general question as #2 but for active roll stabilization. I don’t even see it listed in the spec. sheet as a standard or optional feature. Does it have a different or formal name? Sometimes when I’m switching from R to D or vice versa, I can feel one side of the car raising/lowering. Which feature is doing it?

Thanks!
Great pic of the AC vent glare issue. Speaking of AC how is yours, any issues?

Topic permitting, I try to be objective as possible
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2024, 10:41 AM   #18
omnid00d
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X7 M50i

Quote:
Nope and the news makes it look like it's getting worse with no mitigation insight. I had a theft attempt in my company garage of all places (only a bar gate blocking the entrance) the 1st week I got my X7. I say attempt because I later found I was driving on 2 nuts instead of 5 on passenger side front tire. Hit up the parts ppl at the dealer for nuts and locks and they confirmed it's still quite an issue but surprised they didn't complete the job (thank goodness they didn't).

Quote:
Check the Rimgard for wheel protection.

https://us.rimgard.com/
Wow nice. they only see 1 config for BMWs. I didn't think the pattern of universal for all BMWs?
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2024, 10:47 AM   #19
mattsrs
Major
Rep
Drives: X7

Quote:
Originally Posted by omnid00d View Post
Nope and the news makes it look like it's getting worse with no mitigation insight. I had a theft attempt in my company garage of all places (only a bar gate blocking the entrance) the 1st week I got my X7. I say attempt because I later found I was driving on 2 nuts instead of 5 on passenger side front tire. Hit up the parts ppl at the dealer for nuts and locks and they confirmed it's still quite an issue but surprised they didn't complete the job (thank goodness they didn't).

Wow nice. they only see 1 config for BMWs. I didn't think the pattern of universal for all BMWs?
5x112 is X7s pattern which is what listed on that site for BMW so it will work.
Appreciate 2
Tyriondo160.50
      07-21-2024, 11:18 PM   #20
Sat Pat
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJC-1 View Post
Great pic of the AC vent glare issue. Speaking of AC how is yours, any issues?
Sorry for the late reply - Bimmerpost is blocked on my work computer, and I'm logging in after many days after discovering Bimmerpost's mobile app today.

The most I can say about the AC is that it is serviceable. This car costs more than all my previous cars combined, but has the weakest AC of all of them. Now, nearly the entire country is also amidst a record heat wave, so I'm willing to give it some benefit of doubt. While it does reach a comfortable temperature eventually, getting there requires frequent adjustments and results in a noisier cabin.

First, the airflow from the center vents is really weak and fails to provide quick cooling to the face.
Second, the fan noise-to-cooling ratio is too high. While the AC does eventually manage to reach an acceptable temperature, it is far too noisy for how much cooling it provides.
Third, the controls are far too complicated and require constant fiddling with the touchscreen to get comfortable. In my previous cars, I would set the temperature to 72 F all year round and the car would figure out the rest. Not in this one. I have to frequently lower the temperature to 70, 68, or even less to get adequate cooling. And then there's the stupid slider buried in the settings that you have to constantly fiddle with in spring and fall, when temperatures vary in a wider range than in summer and winter.
Fourth, the ASS kicks in even when the cabin temperature has not reached the set value.
And finally, the ventilated seats are just trash. The only time they work acceptably is when they are least needed, when outside temperature is already in the comfortable 70s.

Overall, I think the system is passable, but still a major fail on BMW's part. They should feel embarrassed about putting out such a product at any price, and at $100k+, I expect it to be much more than passable.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2024, 12:10 AM   #21
RJC-1
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW M850XI

No worries and thanks for the info.

Sorry to hear you have one of the X7's that are affected with the weak AC. I tested two new ones, an M60 and 40i and they both were marginal at best even when set to the coldest position, flow, etc.

The heat wave certainly doesn't help but we are currently in N Cali where it's been as high as 109 and the AC in our triple black non-tinted window '24 Grand Wagoneer blows ice cold and strong within a minute of starting the vehicle even when set to 72'. My M850 (a SW FL car) behaves the same way in the high 90's and 6x's the humidity than out here.

I've suggested those with affected vehicles take the temp from inside the main vents and if it's not up to spec you have all the proof you need to get BMW to make it right. Check out my thread - I posted a link there https://g07.bimmerpost.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2115782

I was really looking forward to swapping out the GW for an X7, but a weak AC system isn't going to work for us, and I'm so glad we tested two before I ordered one. The X7 imho is one of the nicest large lux suv's on the market today and I'm now looking at a '25 MB GLS to replace the GW (great vehicle/no issues, but the looks have grown old on us and Jeep service even at authorized GW centers is so-so, especially for a $120,000.00 SUV). I will also say this, the GW has the best massaging seats of any vehicle I've owned. Ours is a Series lll Obsidian.

With respect to your ventilated seats - if the ac isn't cold enough the v-seats won't work well. You can set the cc to bilevel (face/feet) this helps to also blow 'cold' air under the seats where the fans pull it though the seats. I do this on the M850 and they work extremely well but it has cold air.

If it makes you feel any better (misery loves company) some new range rovers are having the exact same weak AC issue, my guess is BMW and RR use the same AC systems. One of my dear fiends just bought a brand new '24 full sized Autobiography, he has to keep his ac set to 60 and his seat coolers on high to stay cool (they are actually cooled by a thermoelectric device vs vented like most) ... needless to say he's not a happy camper about his AC.

I really think everyone here suffering from this issue needs to bring their vehicles in and file a complaint with BMW, or nothing is going to change.

Hope they get this sorted out for you and everyone else, also hoping it's something in your settings as some seem to have found helpful here.

Topic permitting, I try to be objective as possible
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2024, 11:53 AM   #22
kilowatt88
Rep
Drives: M440

Any way to make rear doors unlock from the initial press? Super annoying to have to do a separate additional button push from inside when you are trying to get the kids out. (And you can not open from outside even if car is "unlocked")
Appreciate 0