E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Anyone have a dinan stage 1 installed, on 335i?

10-23-2010, 06:26 PM   #23
san6279
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brey335i View Post
Word of warning: Dinan only covers you for the original 50,000 miles / 4 years. They do not cover an extended warranty and BMW has no obligation to honor your extended warranty after the Dinan install.

Trust me on this. BMW won't sell the extended warranty to a Dinan owner for a reason. And Dinan only stands behind their product for the original warranty period on the car.
No, trust me. I did my research on this and got it in writing from the dealer that the Dinan software upgrade has no impact on my CPO warranty. I covered my bases.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2010, 06:29 PM   #24
san6279
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyscho_Powers View Post
@ gary s

Thanks for the input.. Btw what is giac tune? Sorry I'm a noob. Also, I've been thinking stage 1 and stage 2 are like $500 apart and so much more in power increase. Make more logical sense to step up to the stage 2.. Do you know if I have the factory oil cooler and will that withstand the amount of power increase in a stage 2 or probably upgrade to the dinan oil cooler? Becuase I think to retrofit those are a lil spendy right? And also I'm probably looking at about close to $4k in stage 2 plus dinan oil cooler and install right?
Get in touch with Alex at BMW Seattle. He has quite a bit of experience with Dinan and can get you a quote on whatever you want pretty quick. My understanding is you would be fine with Stage 2 and the factory oil cooler. Not sure I'd spend to upgrade to the Dinan oil cooler. Spend your money somewhere else.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2010, 06:37 PM   #25
san6279
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
@san6279

So yeah I just bought the car from BMW seattle.. It was a CPO car, with 1 yr original warranty plus 2 yrs on top of that.. And besides (brey335i) pointed out that the warranty from dinan ONLY covers the ORIGINAL WARRNTY 4th/50k miles.. And plus im debating whether to mod the car or not.. A lil extra power would be nice but in actual reality I don't know if how much of that power increase do I get to use.. I guess only on occasion.. And stock car is pretty decent as well.

Oh an yeah I'm in shoreline area.. How you like the car so far?
Do your own research, but I grilled BMW Seattle pretty hard on the warranty coverage issue. Got it in writing that Dinan install would have no impact on the CPO warranty. I would say BMW Seattle is "Dinan friendly" as they are an authorized dealer. From what I've read in the forums, Dinan friendliness varies greatly from dealer to dealer. Alex at Seattle is a great resource.

You make a good point on how much you'd get to use it. The car is very quick even without it. Guess I just couldn't resist...wanted more power. Still debating on coughing up for the oil cooler retrofit and Stage 2. If I could convince myself the aux oil cooler helped engine longevity I'd probably get it. However, my understanding is the oil cooler only kicks in at 240F. So far I haven't even hit that temp yet.

So far I am really enjoying the car. Wish I had more chances to really open it up.

I'd like to do a dyno run. Believe there is a place in Kirkland or Redmond.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2010, 06:56 PM   #26
san6279
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by san6279 View Post
No, trust me. I did my research on this and got it in writing from the dealer that the Dinan software upgrade has no impact on my CPO warranty. I covered my bases.
I also got it in writing that the Dinan warranty coverage is for 2 years. Their website is a little confusing on this, but BMW Seattle confirmed the minimum coverage is 2 years....since that is what they offer if your car has no remaining BMW warranty. So, bottom line, Dinan warranty is for the remainder of your orig BMW warranty or a minimum of 2 yrs, whichever is longer.

I do agree, however, that if I have a problem caused by Dinan after the 2 yrs is up, technically my CPO would not cover.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2010, 07:02 PM   #27
Brey335i
Banned
Rep
Drives: e46 ///M3

Quote:
That you got it in writing is certainly good... but if I were you, I'd get that in writing from Dinan as well. At the end of the day, it's Dinan that needs to accept your claim
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2010, 07:02 PM   #28
Bavarian E92
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2010 E90 335 Montego

Quote:
I also got it in writing that the Dinan warranty coverage is for 2 years. Their website is a little confusing on this, but BMW Seattle confirmed the minimum coverage is 2 years....since that is what they offer if your car has no remaining BMW warranty. So, bottom line, Dinan warranty is for the remainder of your orig BMW warranty or a minimum of 2 yrs, whichever is longer.

I do agree, however, that if I have a problem caused by Dinan after the 2 yrs is up, technically my CPO would not cover.
Wow.... So someone out of warranty could pay for the Stage 2 upgrade and get a 2 yr consequential damage warranty through dinan?
      10-23-2010, 07:05 PM   #29
san6279
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bavarian E92 View Post
Wow.... So someone out of warranty could pay for the Stage 2 upgrade and get a 2 yr consequential damage warranty through dinan?
This is from their website. You can check me on my understanding of it. Does not appear consequential damages are included when you are out of the BMW warranty. At that point, the warranty is only for the Dinan products.

WARRANTY
We consider our limited warranty coverage to be a very important component of each Dinan Performance Product and we want you to fully understand it. Dinan’s objective is to enhance the enthusiast’s driving experience by designing and manufacturing the best performing and highest quality automotive products possible. Our limited warranty is intended to cover Dinan products when they are used in the manner for which they were originally designed. Like any manufacturer, we cannot be responsible when our products are subjected to misuse, improper installation, misapplication, modification or neglect.

Consumers are encouraged to familiarize themselves with the specifics of Dinan’s Limited Warranty, including exclusions and potential effects to the manufacturer’s limited new car warranty, prior to making the decision to purchase and install Dinan products and systems. Consumers are invited to contact Dinan at 408-779-8584 with any questions regarding Dinan’s limited warranty coverage, procedures, exclusions, etc.

CARS COVERED BY THE ORIGINAL VEHICLE MANUFACTURER’S NEW CAR LIMITED WARRANTY.

US and Canadian Specification Vehicles Only

If your vehicle is currently covered by the vehicle manufacturer’s new car limited warranty, Dinan products are warranted for the remaining term of the vehicle manufacturer’s new car limited warranty. The manufacturer’s new car warranty is limited to 4 years or 50,000 miles (80,000 kilometers in Canada), commencing on the date of first retail sale or the date the vehicle is first placed in-service as a demonstrator or company vehicle, whichever is earlier. Dinan’s warranties are transferable when ownership of the vehicle into which the Dinan products were originally installed is sold.

To obtain service under this warranty, the vehicle must be brought, upon discovery of a malfunction or defect in materials and/or workmanship, to the workshop of any Authorized Dinan Dealer, during normal business hours. Proof of purchase in the form of a lawful invoice is required. The Authorized Dinan Dealer will, without charge for parts or labor, repair or replace the defective Dinan component(s), as well as any original vehicle manufacturer’s component(s) that may have been directly affected by a Dinan component, using new or authorized remanufactured parts. The decision to repair or replace said parts is at the sole discretion of Dinan and/or the original vehicle manufacturer. Parts for which replacements are supplied under this limited warranty become the property of Dinan and/or the original vehicle manufacturer. In all cases, a reasonable period of time must be allowed for warranty repairs to be completed after the vehicle is delivered to the Authorized Dinan Dealer.

CARS NO LONGER COVERED BY THE ORIGINAL VEHICLE MANUFACTURER’S NEW CAR LIMITED WARRANTY.

Dinan Performance Products are warranted for a 2-year, unlimited mileage period from the date of original purchase. Dinan’s warranties are transferable when ownership of the vehicle into which the Dinan products were originally installed is sold.

To obtain service under this warranty, the vehicle or Dinan product must be brought, upon discovery of a malfunction or defect in materials and/or workmanship, to any Authorized Dinan Dealer during normal business hours. In the event of a warranty claim, Dinan will repair or replace, at its sole discretion, any defective Dinan component upon receipt of the item and proof of the original purchase in the form of a lawful invoice. This warranty does not include reimbursement for repairs to any original vehicle manufacturer's component(s) that may have been affected by a Dinan component. Labor charges associated with the repair or replacement of a Dinan product will be reimbursed at the Authorized Dinan Dealer’s standard hourly rate, based upon the original vehicle manufacturer’s and/or Dinan’s schedule of flat rate labor times. The defective component must be returned to Dinan for verification of the defect before any warranty adjustment will be made. A reasonable period of time must be allowed for warranty replacement, shipping and/or repairs to be completed after the vehicle or product is received by an Authorized Dinan Dealer or Dinan’s facility.

The Dinan Limited Warranty Specifically Excludes:

•return shipping charges, •towing charges, •rental car fees •damage to a component or assembly due to the installation of replacement parts with specifications that differ in any material respect from the original vehicle manufacturer’s or Dinan parts, •damage resulting from the unauthorized modification of a Dinan part or assembly, •damage resulting from the use of other manufacturer’s products in conjunction with Dinan products or systems, •damage to the clutch due to power shifting or abuse, •brake rotor warp, •friction materials, •maintenance services and parts when replaced during maintenance such as spark plugs, lubricants, fluids, engine tune-up parts, replacement of filters, coolant and refrigerant, •mechanical adjustments or repairs which result from normal wear and tear, •drive-belts, •light bulbs, •damage due to the failure to perform maintenance services at the specified intervals or in accordance with the instructions in the owner’s manual from the original vehicle manufacturer or Dinan’s product instructions, •damage attributable to negligence, improper installation, improper treatment or treatment contrary to the instructions in the owner’s manual from the original vehicle manufacturer or Dinan’s product instructions, •engine damage resulting from alteration of Dinan's original boost pressure, •damage resulting from the use of improper or contaminated fuel, •damage occurring through corrosion resulting from weak or improper coolant, •damage to a Dinan component as a result of a collision or improper collision damage repairs, •any vehicle operated in any competitive event, •custom-designed competition parts, •damages resulting from loss of time, inconvenience or loss of the use of the vehicle, •damage resulting from environmental influences, flood, accident, fire damage, or road salt corrosion, •re-manufactured or refurbished products or components (these products are clearly identified as re-furbished and are warranted for the period specified for that particular product).

General:

The installation of Dinan Performance Products and systems may affect the vehicle manufacturer’s new car limited warranty. The vehicle manufacturer’s new car limited warranty may not apply to modifications to a vehicle or the installation of any performance accessories or components attached to the vehicle which substantially alter the original engineering and/or operating specifications or which result in damage to other original vehicle manufacturer’s components.

This warranty shall be null and void if the vehicle identification number has been altered or cannot be read, if the odometer has been replaced or altered and the true mileage cannot be determined, if the vehicle has been declared a total loss or sold for salvage purposes, or if the vehicle has been used in any competitive event.

These warranties give you specific legal rights, and you may also have other rights, which vary, from state to state.

The duration of any implied warranties, including the implied warranty of merchantability and fitness for a particular use, is limited to the duration of the express warranties herein. Dinan hereby excludes incidental and consequential damages, including loss of time, inconvenience, or loss of the use of the vehicle, for any breach of any express or implied warranty, including the implied warranty of merchantability and fitness for a particular use, applicable to the product.

Some states do not allow limitations on how long an implied warranty lasts, or the exclusion or limitation of incidental or consequential damages, so the above limitations and exclusions may not apply to you.

Statement Revised 10/22/04

Last edited by san6279; 10-23-2010 at 07:07 PM.. Reason: Clarification.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2010, 07:36 PM   #30
Pyscho_Powers
Private
Rep
Drives: '07 e92 335i coupe

Quote:
Do your own research, but I grilled BMW Seattle pretty hard on the warranty coverage issue. Got it in writing that Dinan install would have no impact on the CPO warranty. I would say BMW Seattle is "Dinan friendly" as they are an authorized dealer. From what I've read in the forums, Dinan friendliness varies greatly from dealer to dealer. Alex at Seattle is a great resource.

You make a good point on how much you'd get to use it. The car is very quick even without it. Guess I just couldn't resist...wanted more power. Still debating on coughing up for the oil cooler retrofit and Stage 2. If I could convince myself the aux oil cooler helped engine longevity I'd probably get it. However, my understanding is the oil cooler only kicks in at 240F. So far I haven't even hit that temp yet.

So far I am really enjoying the car. Wish I had more chances to really open it up.

I'd like to do a dyno run. Believe there is a place in Kirkland or Redmond.
@ sans6279

Yeah man.. Tough situation for me right now.. Don't know to keep her stock or run the dinan software.. But yeah if I were to go with the software I would follow the same footsteps as you. I'll make sure the software doesn't affect anything of my existing warranty plus the additional 2 more yrs I have...

But I think in your case, id just upgrade to the stage 2 and btw doesn't dinan or BMW Seattle honor your stage 1 and you'd just have to pay another $500 for the stage 2. That would be my guess...

You race or track ur car? It's sure nice to have the extra power handy.. Lol

You doing anything else to your car? Man, we should meet up and hang sometime bro.. Photoshoot man! Lol
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2010, 07:58 PM   #31
san6279
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
@ sans6279

Yeah man.. Tough situation for me right now.. Don't know to keep her stock or run the dinan software.. But yeah if I were to go with the software I would follow the same footsteps as you. I'll make sure the software doesn't affect anything of my existing warranty plus the additional 2 more yrs I have...

But I think in your case, id just upgrade to the stage 2 and btw doesn't dinan or BMW Seattle honor your stage 1 and you'd just have to pay another $500 for the stage 2. That would be my guess...

You race or track ur car? It's sure nice to have the extra power handy.. Lol

You doing anything else to your car? Man, we should meet up and hang sometime bro.. Photoshoot man! Lol
All how you look at it I guess. To me, your "tough" situation is not such a bad place to be. To Dinan, or not to Dinan. Life could be worse, huh? : )

For me, Stage 2 would be a no-brainer except I would have to pay a $2700 premium to first get the aux oil cooler installed. Yes, you are correct, I'd only have to then pay approx another $500 to upgrade from Stage 1 to Stage 2. (I am kicking myself daily for not doing more homework prior to purchase and make sure I had the oil cooler.)

I'd also like to get the Dinan air intake, but that is another story altogether.

Hey, maybe BMW Seattle would give us a little bit of a deal if we got all our stuff done together? Again, Dinan software is 20% off until end of October.

So far, the only other stuff I've had done is a 15% tint all around and clear bra. I'm not much into cosmetic mods. Would rather spend my $$ on making the car faster....for now anyway.

If you start moding your car you should get a dyno done first for a benchmark. Wish I would have done that.

Not trying to brush you off on getting together. Right now work and my 2 kids (2-1/2 yr and 7mo old) are keeping me extremely busy. However, photoshoot or dyno run would be fun sometime.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2010, 10:13 PM   #32
Pyscho_Powers
Private
Rep

Quote:
All how you look at it I guess. To me, your "tough" situation is not such a bad place to be. To Dinan, or not to Dinan. Life could be worse, huh? : )

For me, Stage 2 would be a no-brainer except I would have to pay a $2700 premium to first get the aux oil cooler installed. Yes, you are correct, I'd only have to then pay approx another $500 to upgrade from Stage 1 to Stage 2. (I am kicking myself daily for not doing more homework prior to purchase and make sure I had the oil cooler.)

I'd also like to get the Dinan air intake, but that is another story altogether.

Hey, maybe BMW Seattle would give us a little bit of a deal if we got all our stuff done together? Again, Dinan software is 20% off until end of October.

So far, the only other stuff I've had done is a 15% tint all around and clear bra. I'm not much into cosmetic mods. Would rather spend my $$ on making the car faster....for now anyway.

If you start moding your car you should get a dyno done first for a benchmark. Wish I would have done that.

Not trying to brush you off on getting together. Right now work and my 2 kids (2-1/2 yr and 7mo old) are keeping me extremely busy. However, photoshoot or dyno run would be fun sometime.
Yeah I know that's a tough one to swallow.. Gonna make a big dent in the wallet.. But I mean you have something good already might as well finish what you wanted in the first place...

True that, I will try to get my car dynoed first before I start messing with anything.. But we'll see about that... I think imma call cantrell motorsport in kirkland to see if they got a dyno.. I think they do..

Right now I'm just leaning towards stock but who knows, I might get that big crave and go for the stage 2.. Unforunately for u, ur car didn't come with an oil cooler.. But don't hang ur head save and you'll get there..

Oh and btw, I'm talking to Dan (parts manager) BMW Seattle the other day and he too told me to talk to alex.. I'll do that Monday morning and we'll see what happens. But I know for sure that even if I wanted a stage 2, I'm looking around $2100-2200 ballpark...

Have your ever thought of a cat-delete pipes? That too should increase about 10-15 hp to your horsepower gains..
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2010, 10:36 PM   #33
san6279
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brey335i View Post
That you got it in writing is certainly good... but if I were you, I'd get that in writing from Dinan as well. At the end of the day, it's Dinan that needs to accept your claim
Point well taken.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2010, 10:53 PM   #34
acj75
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 E92 335i

Quote:
Just got my 335 not too long ago and started in the realm of upgrading.. I am pondering of getting the dinan stage 1 software, but before I get all worked up I just have some questions. Don't want to do too much, but just enough to have a little fun.

1. Firstly, if I just plan to upgrade to just the stage 1 dinan software itself and not anything else, what would the horsepower be? I've talked to the dinan people and they said it was going to be like 360hp/380 tq. Is this true? Anyone in the same as me!?

2. Will this overheat the engine? I have a factory oil cooler and no, I dont smash on the throttle all the time.

3. How is it compared to stock power? Pretty noticeable?

Thanks,

Burt
hey Burt-

I have the Dinan S1 software installed. It's very subtle during daily driving, but there's a definite increase over stock when you mash the throttle. I live in a hot part of the country, but I've never had any overheating issues since I got the flash around 6 months ago. And by the way, my CPO did not come with the factory oil cooler.

When I was first considering the flash, I couldn't find many real world examples of Dinan S1 performance. I went to the 1/4 mile track a couple weeks ago for my first time ever. I'm a rank beginner when it comes to drag racing, but I managed to run a 13.1 @105 in the 1/4. If it's any point of reference, the only other 335i there that night was a bone stock E90. The best he ran was a 14.1 @ 99.

Good luck with your decision. Hope this helps!

Here's a video of my best run from that night:

10-23-2010, 10:53 PM   #35
san6279
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Yeah I know that's a tough one to swallow.. Gonna make a big dent in the wallet.. But I mean you have something good already might as well finish what you wanted in the first place...

True that, I will try to get my car dynoed first before I start messing with anything.. But we'll see about that... I think imma call cantrell motorsport in kirkland to see if they got a dyno.. I think they do..

Right now I'm just leaning towards stock but who knows, I might get that big crave and go for the stage 2.. Unforunately for u, ur car didn't come with an oil cooler.. But don't hang ur head save and you'll get there..

Oh and btw, I'm talking to Dan (parts manager) BMW Seattle the other day and he too told me to talk to alex.. I'll do that Monday morning and we'll see what happens. But I know for sure that even if I wanted a stage 2, I'm looking around $2100-2200 ballpark...

Have your ever thought of a cat-delete pipes? That too should increase about 10-15 hp to your horsepower gains..
Finish what I started...I like your way of thinking. I waiver back and forth on a weekly basis.

From the NW section on this board, looks like many people go to Carb Connection in Kirkland to dyno.

FYI, Alex works Thursday thru Saturday.

On pipes. One of my criteria for upgrades (for now) is not to increase exhaust note and not to mess with warranty. If I had the oil cooler and some money to burn, I'd do Stage 2 plus the Dinan air intake (it looks nice too).

Seriously, though, if you decide to upgrade let me know. Maybe we can get a deal if we go in together. Probably not for just two vehicles, but you never know.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2010, 12:44 AM   #36
Pyscho_Powers
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by acj75 View Post
hey Burt-

I have the Dinan S1 software installed. It's very subtle during daily driving, but there's a definite increase over stock when you mash the throttle. I live in a hot part of the country, but I've never had any overheating issues since I got the flash around 6 months ago. And by the way, my CPO did not come with the factory oil cooler.

When I was first considering the flash, I couldn't find many real world examples of Dinan S1 performance. I went to the 1/4 mile track a couple weeks ago for my first time ever. I'm a rank beginner when it comes to drag racing, but I managed to run a 13.1 @105 in the 1/4. If it's any point of reference, the only other 335i there that night was a bone stock E90. The best he ran was a 14.1 @ 99.

Good luck with your decision. Hope this helps!

Here's a video of my best run from that night:

Thanks for vid and the input bro.. Much appreciated, any plans for a stage 2? You don't have a oil cooler right now right? So how do you like it the flash?
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2010, 12:47 AM   #37
Pyscho_Powers
Private
Rep

Quote:
Finish what I started...I like your way of thinking. I waiver back and forth on a weekly basis.

From the NW section on this board, looks like many people go to Carb Connection in Kirkland to dyno.

FYI, Alex works Thursday thru Saturday.

On pipes. One of my criteria for upgrades (for now) is not to increase exhaust note and not to mess with warranty. If I had the oil cooler and some money to burn, I'd do Stage 2 plus the Dinan air intake (it looks nice too).

Seriously, though, if you decide to upgrade let me know. Maybe we can get a deal if we go in together. Probably not for just two vehicles, but you never know.
Yeah man I'll definitely let u know... Thinking hard about it u know... Yess... Noo... Haha
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2010, 05:47 AM   #38
GaryS
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i 6MT

Garage List
2009 135i  [6.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bavarian E92 View Post
No, it's two years on the Dinan parts only.
Appreciate 0