BMW
X7 and XM
forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Off-Topic Discussions Board Valvoline engine guarantee

12-13-2010, 08:55 AM   #1
Freakazoid
Captain
Rep
Drives: Saturn Redline

Valvoline engine guarantee

Anyone hear of this? Sounds halfway decent. Here's the site:
https://valvoline.promo.eprize.com/engineguarantee/

Not looking for fanboi-ism or stupid crap related to 'its all a scam, blah blah blah'.... like the majority of the internet say. Or that valvoline oil is shit oil, yada yada yada. Let's go with the assumption that they will pay out.

Cliff notes:
1. Engine is guaranteed up to 150k/225k/300k, depending on oil used. (no later than 2029).
2. Oil changes must be done within 4k miles (you're allowed to go over 3 times).

Here's my thought process, see what the OT response is to this....
Conventional oil is 150k, synth blend is 225k. Each of these are generally only a couple more dollars than any other competition, tops. (depending on where you go it can be cheaper).
Say 100k in oil changes all conventional, which is 250 oil changes, a dollar or two an oil change more is basically $500 more you MIGHT be paying.

Personally I don't see the downside of this. And 4k miles is something that I think is an appropriate interval on conventional oil.

Keep in mind, wouldn't be doing this on the BMW, but just generally thinking for the cheaper cars.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2010, 11:20 AM   #2
CollinsE90
Where my bitches
United_States
Rep
Drives: Cadillac coupe deville

cheaper cars yes, but if I pay the money for full synthetic Im going 7500 miles period. Im sure you have to keep the car the whole time too.
      12-13-2010, 11:58 AM   #3
Buegie
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 330xi

I didn't follow all of your post...If you went 100k miles with a change at every 4k that would be 25 changes which means your paying even less. It seems like a good deal for only a few extra dollars but I'm sure you would go through hell trying to get them to cover any sort of damages
      12-13-2010, 12:57 PM   #4
Feyd
Major
Rep
Drives: a DEEZZULL

When push comes to shove, they'll find a way to weezle out of it, or be so damn complacent about it, you'll get frustrated and stop pursuing their help. I by all means go for it if you think the investment is really that insignificant to you, but dont' be supprised if you end up loosing.

I'd be willing to bet that the reality is that even if they do honor it, you should expect to deal with things like:
  • You'll be guilty until proven innocent (you redline your motor too much, etc.)
  • They'll ONLY repair what needs to be repaired regarless of the fact that some secondary systems should be replaced to keep their intial repair fuctioning correctly
  • You'll get ONLY one claim on the engine (make it count)
  • If a new engine is needed you'll get a "rebulit/refurbished" one
  • You'll have to have it put it by "joe-shmo import car service" since he's the absolute lowest quote they can find.
  • The process will inevatably take 4x longer than it should and you'll end up having to project manage the diagnosis and repair
  • I doubt very seriously that they'll pay the facility doing the repairwork directly, which means that you''ll be out of pocket for 60-90 days until Valvoline can pull their collectived heads out of their asses and write you a check
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2010, 01:48 PM   #5
Freakazoid
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buegie View Post
I didn't follow all of your post...If you went 100k miles with a change at every 4k that would be 25 changes which means your paying even less. It seems like a good deal for only a few extra dollars but I'm sure you would go through hell trying to get them to cover any sort of damages
sorry good point, I added a zero in there for some stupid reason.

Also agreed on the fight for it.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2010, 01:48 PM   #6
Freakazoid
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CollinsE90 View Post
cheaper cars yes, but if I pay the money for full synthetic Im going 7500 miles period. Im sure you have to keep the car the whole time too.

I'm tossing out the idea of doing full synthetic with them. That's just a bit of a wash. I agree, if I'm getting full synthetic, I'm doing my own methods.

However I'm thinking purely conventional oil, and possibly the synth blend
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2010, 01:51 PM   #7
Freakazoid
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feyd View Post
When push comes to shove, they'll find a way to weezle out of it, or be so damn complacent about it, you'll get frustrated and stop pursuing their help. I by all means go for it if you think the investment is really that insignificant to you, but dont' be supprised if you end up loosing.

I'd be willing to bet that the reality is that even if they do honor it, you should expect to deal with things like:
  • You'll be guilty until proven innocent (you redline your motor too much, etc.)
  • They'll ONLY repair what needs to be repaired regarless of the fact that some secondary systems should be replaced to keep their intial repair fuctioning correctly
  • You'll get ONLY one claim on the engine (make it count)
  • If a new engine is needed you'll get a "rebulit/refurbished" one
  • You'll have to have it put it by "joe-shmo import car service" since he's the absolute lowest quote they can find.
  • The process will inevatably take 4x longer than it should and you'll end up having to project manage the diagnosis and repair
  • I doubt very seriously that they'll pay the facility doing the repairwork directly, which means that you''ll be out of pocket for 60-90 days until Valvoline can pull their collectived heads out of their asses and write you a check
very good, interesting points. I was thinking more a more 'black and white' approach, but you're right....even if they do accept the claim, it could be drawn out for months, and dealing with all other kinds of crap in the meantime. For your last point though, they at least claim they do pay directly and you're not paying out of pocket.

Main reason I'm thinking it is for a Hyundai Sonata, an easy 15-20k miles a year. I figure by 130k miles, it might be worth it.

interetsing interesting
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2010, 02:55 PM   #8
Feyd
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freakazoid View Post
For your last point though, they at least claim they do pay directly and you're not paying out of pocket.
Read the fine print.... it says "when possible" they will either pay directly or "reimburse you".

That means, whoever you use won't be in their "system" therefore you are getting reimbursed. Good news though... there is a statute of 60 days before you can file directly with their ins. provider... at which point I'm sure another clock starts for another 60-90 days.

I actually just read over the fine print of this thing and it friggin' wreaks man.... bad.

There are so many "at our discression" clauses there is NO WAY you'll ever get covered for anything.

The fine print also says that it won't cover anything that is already covered under your warranty (or extended warranty), but will pay the deductible. So it sounds like you are paying for double ins. at that point but only getting the benefits your existing warranty.

You hyundai will have a warranty till 100k anyway.... most of the shit that'll be falling off of it at that point will be your steering rack/sideview mirrors, etc. If you really want an extended warranty for piece of mind, I'd take that $500.00 and put it towards a comprehensive plan that'll cover everything beyond your factory warranty.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2010, 07:05 PM   #9
Freakazoid
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Read the fine print.... it says "when possible" they will either pay directly or "reimburse you".

That means, whoever you use won't be in their "system" therefore you are getting reimbursed. Good news though... there is a statute of 60 days before you can file directly with their ins. provider... at which point I'm sure another clock starts for another 60-90 days.

I actually just read over the fine print of this thing and it friggin' wreaks man.... bad.

There are so many "at our discression" clauses there is NO WAY you'll ever get covered for anything.

The fine print also says that it won't cover anything that is already covered under your warranty (or extended warranty), but will pay the deductible. So it sounds like you are paying for double ins. at that point but only getting the benefits your existing warranty.

You hyundai will have a warranty till 100k anyway.... most of the shit that'll be falling off of it at that point will be your steering rack/sideview mirrors, etc. If you really want an extended warranty for piece of mind, I'd take that $500.00 and put it towards a comprehensive plan that'll cover everything beyond your factory warranty.
good point at 'at our discretion'. I didn't pay enough attention with that.

I did know about the doubling warranty, but it seemed worth it as I'd be doing oil changes anyways.

Let me simplify to this... if you're doing conventional oil changes anyways is there any DOWNSIDE to this? Maybe a loss of 50 bucks more in oil changes.

That's probably what I'm trying to think out. Even if it becomes a pain, make the judgement call, then right?

Any thoughts? Thanks for the responses mate!
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2010, 07:17 PM   #10
Feyd
Major
Rep

If the cost is "negligible" for you, I'd say go for it... I mean what can it hurt? I just wouldn't count on them coming through when it counts. As long as you don't get your hopes up, you have nothing to ever be disappointed about.

I haven't bought oil in a long time, so I have no opinion on Valvoline... but is there a generally better received product for the same price? Like Mobil 1?
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2010, 08:17 PM   #11
Freakazoid
Captain
Rep

Quote:
If the cost is "negligible" for you, I'd say go for it... I mean what can it hurt? I just wouldn't count on them coming through when it counts. As long as you don't get your hopes up, you have nothing to ever be disappointed about.

I haven't bought oil in a long time, so I have no opinion on Valvoline... but is there a generally better received product for the same price? Like Mobil 1?
Personally I think almost all oil is exactly the same. The only oil that is seen as universally bad is quaker stake. My old car required Mobil 1, but that was because of GM's requirements. I've yet to see ANY conclusive proof that warrants one oil over another.

The way I see it is...as you even mentioned it comes down to the warranty lasting 100k miles regardless. The price difference is literally no more than a dollar or two an oil change TOPS. Beyond the 100k mile, I guess I'd probably take the .1% chance of getting it taken care of, for the cost of 50 bucks over 8 years, rather than the 0% chance.

the other aspect is it enforces me to get oil changes in under 4k miles, which is probably a good thing. Sorta like a thorn in the side
Appreciate 0