BMW
X7 and XM
forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW X7 (G07) Forums General BMW X7 Forum Can the crystal knob be installed after?

05-19-2023, 11:43 AM   #23
ivinioX7
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: X7-M

Garage List
2020 BMW X7 40i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcortez75 View Post
Here is a crystal shifting knob you can retrofit in Amazon https://amzn.to/2yvu1m7
Did you install one on your vehicle?
Is this something that needs to be done at the dealership? (Will they even agree to install an aftermarket part?)
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2023, 01:36 PM   #24
thenew3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 X7, 2016 X3, 2021 MME

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivinioX7 View Post
Did you install one on your vehicle?
Is this something that needs to be done at the dealership? (Will they even agree to install an aftermarket part?)
If your dealer is like most I've encountered in the past 30 years, they will likely not install it.

But you should be able to take it to a 3rd party independent shop and they can do it for you.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2023, 05:59 AM   #25
ivinioX7
Private
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW X7 40i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by thenew3 View Post
If your dealer is like most I've encountered in the past 30 years, they will likely not install it.

But you should be able to take it to a 3rd party independent shop and they can do it for you.
Gotcha, that makes sense why they won't touch it.
I've seen many aftermarket crystal shift knobs for sale on Amazon and AliExpress. Essentially, they are all the same (Made in China). I wonder if anyone has one installed and could provide feedback on their performance and reliability.

PS: I found an installation guide online with a scary warning that the iDrive can be damaged and the vehicle must be towed to the dealer to replace and reprogram the new iDrive.
https://www.car-analysis.com/BMW-Cry...stallation.htm, The project of swapping the part, is straightforward, but the outcome may be costly if things are not aligned properly.

Last edited by ivinioX7; 05-24-2023 at 09:21 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2023, 07:37 PM   #26
ivinioX7
Private
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW X7 40i  [0.00]
An update for my post above; I purchased the kit from Aliexpress, and today it was installed.

I am not confident that the electronic part in the Chinese shift knob will last long without damaging the I-Drive, so I decided to keep the original inner parts and replace just the crystal knob.
Yes, the X in the middle of the knob does not illuminate, but I can live with that, especially since I don't like too many lights.
The start-bottom replacement was easy, and it fit like a glove.
Things were not so smooth with the round glass I-Drive controller. The chrome ring does not lock fully on one side, the rotating disk does not feel smooth as it used to, and it seems that there's friction with the new chrome ring. Bummer.
I'll give it another look, if no success I will install the OEM part back to its place.
Appreciate 2
Mail4loys415.50
BzsBimmer3292.50
      07-18-2023, 12:29 AM   #27
darrenchan0321
Rep
Drives: BMW X4

Aftermarket Shift Knobs: https://www.coolshiftknobs.com/produ...al-shift-knob/
Appreciate 0