BMW
X7 and XM
forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW X7 (G07) Forums General BMW X7 Forum Experience after 80K Miles?

08-11-2020, 10:31 PM   #23
Hsiaowei511
Counting the Days!
Rep
Drives: BMW X7,Lexus GS 350

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Blue View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW-TX View Post
There have been various discussions on this forum asking to compare the 40i vs M50i. Everyone has their own valid reasons, but I will at least pass on the advice given to me by two senior managers at BMW (one was dealership GM and one was a regional district manager). Note they both understood that I drive my cars 7-10 years:
- both strongly recommended the 40i
- M50i not worth the extra cost for what you get (but if money is no object of course go for it)
- the M50i engine has more maintenance issues/challenges/costs later on as it logs mileage/age
- one said he would only sell an M50i to a friend if it was used/CPO (i.e. it already has taken the big depreciation hit and covered under warranty)
- reiterated how tried and true the inline-6 is and its reliability

Again, just two perspectives, but I found it interesting they didn’t push me to the M50i when I was clearly willing and ready to spend the extra money. They discouraged me from ordering one, and I ended up going with peace of mind of the 40i, more cash in my pocket and better gas mileage.
Unfortunately, BMW has made the B&W audio exclusive to the M50i now, and that's something many of us wanted on our X7's. Makes it more frustrating to consider a 40i.
I'm so glad I ordered my 40i when I did. Picked it up with PCD today and listened to the B&W all the way home. It is SWEET!
Appreciate 1
Wild Blue3683.50
      08-11-2020, 10:43 PM   #24
Skyrider
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 535i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hsiaowei511 View Post
Quote:
Quote:
There have been various discussions on this forum asking to compare the 40i vs M50i. Everyone has their own valid reasons, but I will at least pass on the advice given to me by two senior managers at BMW (one was dealership GM and one was a regional district manager). Note they both understood that I drive my cars 7-10 years:
- M50i not worth the extra cost for what you get (but if money is no object of course go for it)
- the M50i engine has more maintenance issues/challenges/costs later on as it logs mileage/age
- one said he would only sell an M50i to a friend if it was used/CPO (i.e. it already has taken the big depreciation hit and covered under warranty)

Again, just two perspectives, but I found it interesting they didn't push me to the M50i when I was clearly willing and ready to spend the extra money. They discouraged me from ordering one, and I ended up going with peace of mind of the 40i, more cash in my pocket and better gas mileage.
Unfortunately, BMW has made the B&W audio exclusive to the M50i now, and that's something many of us wanted on our X7's. Makes it more frustrating to consider a 40i.
I'm so glad I ordered my 40i when I did. Picked it up with PCD today and listened to the B&W all the way home. It is SWEET!
Is your X7 40i a 2020 or 2021?
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2020, 10:46 PM   #25
Hsiaowei511
Counting the Days!
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyrider View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Again, just two perspectives, but I found it interesting they didn't push me to the M50i when I was clearly willing and ready to spend the extra money. They discouraged me from ordering one, and I ended up going with peace of mind of the 40i, more cash in my pocket and better gas mileage.
2020. Just in the nick of time!
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2020, 11:00 PM   #26
Skyrider
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Congrats. Same here. Looks like we snatched the last of the 2020 new production. I love mine. Picked up 2 weeks ago. I can't live without my B&W now that I have it.
Appreciate 1
      08-11-2020, 11:37 PM   #27
Hsiaowei511
Counting the Days!
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Congrats. Same here. Looks like we snatched the last of the 2020 new production. I love mine. Picked up 2 weeks ago. I can't live without my B&W now that I have it.
I played around with the sound themes and ended up driving home 4 hours in 3D Lounge mode. To me it filled the car with more sound than the others. What are your thoughts?
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2020, 11:47 PM   #28
Skyrider
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I played around with the sound themes and ended up driving home 4 hours in 3D Lounge mode. To me it filled the car with more sound than the others. What are your thoughts?
The 3D lounge mode is focused more on the rear passenger. When I tried sitting in the 2nd row it was amazing. From the front it felt like the fullness in the front wasn't complete. I personally prefer the 3D on Stage sound mode. It makes good use of the overhead speakers and gives better overall surround sound. With that said, sound is very personal. So it's about what works for you. I attached a little explanation of the different B&W sound profiles given by a professional audiophile reviewer.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-11-2020, 11:53 PM   #29
Hsiaowei511
Counting the Days!
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

The 3D lounge mode is focused more on the rear passenger. When I tried sitting in the 2nd row it was amazing. From the front it felt like the fullness in the front wasn't complete. I personally prefer the 3D on Stage sound mode. It makes good use of the overhead speakers and gives better overall surround sound. With that said, sound is very personal. So it's about what works for you. I attached a little explanation of the different B&W sound profiles given by a professional audiophile reviewer.
Cool, thanks! Definitely have some more playing around to do!
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2020, 11:57 PM   #30
MB21
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW X7 M5.0i

Quote:

Again, just two perspectives, but I found it interesting they didn’t push me to the M50i when I was clearly willing and ready to spend the extra money. They discouraged me from ordering one, and I ended up going with peace of mind of the 40i, more cash in my pocket and better gas mileage.
To be frankly honest I am very technical deal with automotive etc and what I can tell most salesman's in USA are story tellers and not at all any level experts. They have no basic understanding and I usually am way better prepared than the sales person. Therefore I never seal advice from them as it is pointless.

The bottom line is if BMW would indeed had significant issues with the V8 would they really stick with those engines for so long? I doubt, sure some might get more or less lucky.

Anyhow I have got the M50i and so far I really enjoy this ride, thank his is large SUV and has such a low effort of acceleration it is beyond impressive. The 6 cylinder while impressive has to do some work to move forward at least this is my view.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2020, 11:03 AM   #31
BigHunk
///M
Canada
Rep
Drives: X5M , iX , S1000XR

M50i is simply better car in every way.
Experience is on higher level with M50i.
4.0 feels so dull in that car.
Reliability wise, first year models are prone to have issues, how they go to end of production, they improve gremlins and issues.
About the sales people, 90% have no expertise what are they selling.