Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
Technical Topics B58 6-Cylinder Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications Oil Pump issues - 2020 M340

04-15-2023, 12:38 AM   #23
JacobM340i
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i rwd

Garage List
2020 BMW M340i  [0.00]
  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by k4sh_90 View Post
No, I haven’t had that done. I purchased the car with 8K miles on it, so the previous owner may have gotten that taken care of, or the dealership during the certification process.
Interesting so the recall might not have been done at all or the pump may have already become damaged before the recall was done(recall came out the end of 2021). I wouldn’t stress guys, until we start seeing b58s that have had the recall have complete catastrophic oil pump failures, I think it will be fine. And as confusing as it seems from all my research it seems not being able to read oil level or having it stop at 15-20% is completely unrelated to catastrophic failure of the pump. Ive found tons of threads on f30 forums for having a oil measure fail at 15-20% for the n55 and requiring an oil pump replacement just like the b58. Seems to be a long running thing with bmws. Best thing to do is just wait for it to cool down a lil bit to stabilize oil pressure and measure it, can’t do it when it’s hot. If you can’t measure at all then I would consider changing the pump.

I’m still currently trying to join the m340i fb page and keep getting denied haha, if anyone has access to that it would be great if you could do some research and try to find a recent case of catastrophic oil pump failure on a car that has had the recall done and report back with there findings. Ik there are plenty of people unable to read oil level when engine is hot, but I’m more concerned about the catastrophic failure resulting in engine replacement.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2023, 01:14 AM   #24
b58.fazil
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M340i xDrive Alpine W

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacobM340i View Post
Interesting so the recall might not have been done at all or the pump may have already become damaged before the recall was done(recall came out the end of 2021). I wouldn’t stress guys, until we start seeing b58s that have had the recall have complete catastrophic oil pump failures, I think it will be fine. And as confusing as it seems from all my research it seems not being able to read oil level or having it stop at 15-20% is completely unrelated to catastrophic failure of the pump. Ive found tons of threads on f30 forums for having a oil measure fail at 15-20% for the n55 and requiring an oil pump replacement just like the b58. Seems to be a long running thing with bmws. Best thing to do is just wait for it to cool down a lil bit to stabilize oil pressure and measure it, can’t do it when it’s hot. If you can’t measure at all then I would consider changing the pump.

I’m still currently trying to join the m340i fb page and keep getting denied haha, if anyone has access to that it would be great if you could do some research and try to find a recent case of catastrophic oil pump failure on a car that has had the recall done and report back with there findings. Ik there are plenty of people unable to read oil level when engine is hot, but I’m more concerned about the catastrophic failure resulting in engine replacement.
hi yes i am in one of the m340i owner groups on FB. Below is a few screenshots of a member who replaced the oil level sensor and it didn’t fix the oil not reading issue.

I should note my symptoms besides oil not reading is, high oil pressure also well as significantly reduced throttle and acceleration.

I’ve read somewhere that so far there has only been 2 b58s blown up due to the oil pump failure.

For the foreseeable future I will remain cautious and drive with ease until I replace this oil pump. Although I am concerned if I had caused any possible and permanent damage to the engine itself.

I have an appointment at a dealership for an inspection next week! Wish me luck guys.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-15-2023, 01:30 AM   #25
JacobM340i
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW M340i  [0.00]
  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by b58.fazil View Post
hi yes i am in one of the m340i owner groups on FB. Below is a few screenshots of a member who replaced the oil level sensor and it didn’t fix the oil not reading issue.

I’ve read somewhere that so far there has only been 2 b58s blown up due to the oil pump failure.

For the foreseeable future I will remain cautious and drive with ease until I replace this oil pump. Although I am concerned if I had caused any possible and permanent damage to the engine itself.

I have an appointment at a dealership for an inspection next week! Wish me luck guys.
What are your high oil pressure symptoms?

What I’m getting at is that there is no proof that if your oil measure fails at 15-20% when the oil temp is hot that your oil pump is going to have a catastrophic failure. They are two completely different problems, having the oil level stop reading at 15-20% has been an annoying issues affecting bmw of different chassis and engines for almost a decade but is not serious enough to warrant an oil pump replacement if outside of warranty because it’s about 2-3k.

The pictures attached at the bottom are screenshots from the n55 thread below. Explaining why the measurement aborts at 15-20%.
https://www.2addicts.com/forums/show....php?t=1556741

The catastrophic failure is in result to an error in the dme causing the crankshaft to spin backwards during certain start conditions and cause permanent, catastrophic damage to the pump and requiring a replacement. But it was corrected with a recall under the name vacuum pump/brake recall.
https://www.autoevolution.com/news/b...ll-166990.html
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-15-2023, 01:40 AM   #26
b58.fazil
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
What I’m getting at is that there is no proof that if your oil measure fails at 15-20% when the oil temp is hot that your oil pump is going to have a catastrophic failure. They are two completely different problems, having the oil level stop reading at 15-20% has been an annoying issues affecting bmw of different chassis and engines for almost a decade but is not serious enough to warrant an oil pump replacement if outside of warranty because it’s about 2-3k.
https://www.2addicts.com/forums/show....php?t=1556741

The catastrophic failure is in result to an error in the dme causing the crankshaft to spin backwards during certain start conditions and cause permanent, catastrophic damage to the pump and requiring a replacement. But it was corrected with a recall under the name vacuum pump/brake recall.
https://www.autoevolution.com/news/b...ll-166990.html
well I hope that’s the case. But it’s also undeniable that someone had the same issue and they replace the oil level sensor and that didn’t fix the issue but once they replaced the oil pump suddenly it was fixed? Now I’m not sure how and why that was the case but it was. Also according to my service records, at 5K miles, the dealership replaced the oil level sensor already so I don’t think this issue is related to that.

When was this vacuum pump/brake recall issued? I entered my vin and can’t find any recalls.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-15-2023, 01:47 AM   #27
JacobM340i
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW M340i  [0.00]
  [0.00]
Quote:
well I hope that’s the case. But it’s also undeniable that someone had the same issue and they replace the oil level sensor and that didn’t fix the issue but once they replaced the oil pump suddenly it was fixed? Now I’m not sure how and why that was the case but it was. Also according to my service records, at 5K miles, the dealership replaced the oil level sensor already so I don’t think this issue is related to that.

When was this vacuum pump/brake recall issued? I entered my vin and can’t find any recalls.
It’s the second one down from the top, “program dme software”, keep in mind that recall is to fix the catastrophic oil pump, failure issue, because the engine spins backwards under certain start circumstances. The DME software upgrade does not fix the oil measurement issue only oil pump replacement will do that.

And yes you are right that what I saying, look at the attached pictures at the bottom of my last post, bmw says the only fix is the oil pump. oil level sensor doesn’t fix the measurement issue only oil pump replacement, but it’s not a hard issue to get around, just let the engine sit for 30 minutes come back and it will measure just most likely.

But I’m still curious about your high oil pressure issues, what are the symptoms??
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2023, 02:41 AM   #28
b58.fazil
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
It’s the second one down from the top, “program dme software”, keep in mind that recall is to fix the catastrophic oil pump, failure issue, because the engine spins backwards under certain start circumstances. The DME software upgrade does not fix the oil measurement issue only oil pump replacement will do that.

And yes you are right that what I saying, look at the attached pictures at the bottom of my last post, bmw says the only fix is the oil pump. oil level sensor doesn’t fix the measurement issue only oil pump replacement, but it’s not a hard issue to get around, just let the engine sit for 30 minutes come back and it will measure just most likely.

But I’m still curious about your high oil pressure issues, what are the symptoms??
Ok I’ll try letting it sit for 30 mins before doing the oil measurement.

My symptoms are oil reading stopping between 15-18%, high oil pressure codes, throttle lag and reduced acceleration.

I’ve also reset the throttle and that didn’t help.

Regardless, I will replace the oil pump either via warranty or just going to have an independent shop do it and just call it “preventative maintenance”, because this is the only thing stopping me from doing PI and turbo. Wanna make sure everything is totally good.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2023, 02:51 AM   #29
JacobM340i
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW M340i  [0.00]
  [0.00]
Quote:
Ok I’ll try letting it sit for 30 mins before doing the oil measurement.

My symptoms are oil reading stopping between 15-18%, high oil pressure codes, throttle lag and reduced acceleration.

I’ve also reset the throttle and that didn’t help.

Regardless, I will replace the oil pump either via warranty or just going to have an independent shop do it and just call it “preventative maintenance”, because this is the only thing stopping me from doing PI and turbo. Wanna make sure everything is totally good.
I completely understand you wanting it to be future proof if your going to be pushing big power, but yea give waiting 30 minutes for oil temp to come down then trying again to measure a try a lemme know. The high oil pressure codes are concerning though, I don’t have those, does it trip a check engine light or a warning on the dash for high oil pressure or just when you plug the car in like BimmerLink or something?
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2023, 04:30 PM   #30
b58.fazil
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
I completely understand you wanting it to be future proof if your going to be pushing big power, but yea give waiting 30 minutes for oil temp to come down then trying again to measure a try a lemme know. The high oil pressure codes are concerning though, I don’t have those, does it trip a check engine light or a warning on the dash for high oil pressure or just when you plug the car in like BimmerLink or something?
Gonna definitely try tomorrow!

As far as the codes go they dont happen often maybe I’ll notice it like once every other month just because I check my codes on MHD like every other day. It doesn’t trigger a CEL which is good. Here is a ss of what the code says.

Although it used to happen a lot and I think it was because I wouldn’t warm up the car as long as I do now. Now I usually let it sit for about 3-5 mins and then I’ll drive 5 miles before beating on it.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-16-2023, 03:16 AM   #31
JacobM340i
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW M340i  [0.00]
  [0.00]
Quote:
Gonna definitely try tomorrow!

As far as the codes go they dont happen often maybe I’ll notice it like once every other month just because I check my codes on MHD like every other day. It doesn’t trigger a CEL which is good. Here is a ss of what the code says.

Although it used to happen a lot and I think it was because I wouldn’t warm up the car as long as I do now. Now I usually let it sit for about 3-5 mins and then I’ll drive 5 miles before beating on it.
Yea I just scanned mine, I don’t have any oil pressure faults, so I would definitely look into that. And I’m at a little over 70k which means I’m at the upper end of mileage for these cars it seems.
Appreciate 1
EXE462104.50
      04-16-2023, 03:23 AM   #32
b58.fazil
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Yea I just scanned mine, I don’t have any oil pressure faults, so I would definitely look into that.
Yea its very interesting. But most with the oil pump issue have either high oil pressure or low oil pressure. I’m pretty sure mine is bad or isn’t working properly. Yours is probably working correctly seeing as you’re not getting this code. My car run fine and I do my oil changes very frequently 3500 miles. No metal in the oil or filter either. I’m also at 51k miles

How many miles do you currently have?
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2023, 03:25 AM   #33
JacobM340i
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW M340i  [0.00]
  [0.00]
Quote:
Yea its very interesting. But most with the oil pump issue have either high oil pressure or low oil pressure. I’m pretty sure mine is bad or isn’t working properly. Yours is probably working correctly seeing as you’re not getting this code. My car run fine and I do my oil changes very frequently 3500 miles. No metal in the oil or filter either. I’m also at 51k miles

How many miles do you currently have?
I’m at a little over 70k miles, what type of oil do you use?
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2023, 03:30 AM   #34
b58.fazil
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
I’m at a little over 70k miles, what type of oil do you use?
Oh wow nice haha. I’m using 5W-30 Liqui Moly Special Tec since it’s LL04 approved. Occasionally I’ll use Cera Tec for added protection.

I find 5w-30 and 40 are a very line fine and I don’t want it to take too long for oil to come up to temp.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2023, 03:35 AM   #35
JacobM340i
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW M340i  [0.00]
  [0.00]
Quote:
Oh wow nice haha. I’m using 5W-30 Liqui Moly Special Tec since it’s LL04 approved. Occasionally I’ll use Cera Tec for added protection.

I find 5w-30 and 40 are a very line fine and I don’t want it to take too long for oil to come up to temp.
I use 0w-20 and 5w-30, if you are getting high oil pressure faults I would suggest moving to the recommended 0w-20 possibly. A thicker oil will create higher oil pressure than a thinner oil. And that cera tec stuff probably makes it thicker as well. I could be mistaken but I thought I remember you saying that you used to be hard on the car when the engine/oil was cold and that’s when you would get the high oil pressure faults but now you don’t so much anymore after letting it warm up a bit before getting on it.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2023, 05:03 AM   #36
b58.fazil
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
I use 0w-20 and 5w-30, if you are getting high oil pressure faults I would suggest moving to the recommended 0w-20 possibly. A thicker oil will create higher oil pressure than a thinner oil. And that cera tec stuff probably makes it thicker as well. I could be mistaken but I thought I remember you saying that you used to be hard on the car when the engine/oil was cold and that’s when you would get the high oil pressure faults but now you don’t so much anymore after letting it warm up a bit before getting on it.
Ahh I see what you’re saying. But you use both 0w-20 and 5w-30? Can you elaborate more?
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2023, 05:41 AM   #37
JacobM340i
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW M340i  [0.00]
  [0.00]
Quote:
Ahh I see what you’re saying. But you use both 0w-20 and 5w-30? Can you elaborate more?
I try to use 0w-20 in the winter and 5w-30 in the summer, because of the crazy temp changes here in Atlanta.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2023, 07:43 AM   #38
mru_turbo
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i

I had the same issue with measuring my oil level. The progress bar would not exceed 16%.

Dealership replaced the oil level sensor which didn't help. In the end, they replaced the oil pump under warranty and all was good. FYI, my car was not tuned at this time.
      04-16-2023, 11:29 AM   #39
b58.fazil
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mru_turbo View Post
I had the same issue with measuring my oil level. The progress bar would not exceed 16%.

Dealership replaced the oil level sensor which didn't help. In the end, they replaced the oil pump under warranty and all was good. FYI, my car was not tuned at this time.
Thank you for sharing!
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2023, 09:18 AM   #40
Giggler
Banned
Rep
Drives: 20' M340i, 24' X5 40i

I’ve noticed just recently my oil level check fails at 21%… worked fine before under the exact same conditions. Scheduled to have it diagnosed and repaired next week. For those who have had this repair done, how many days are you without your car?
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2023, 05:22 PM   #41
GOTOFMS
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i

Can we get owners with the oil pump issue to list the build date of their vehicles. I want to see if its related to pre-2020 built M340i's.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2023, 07:11 PM   #42
b58.fazil
Private First Class
Rep

From what I’ve seen affected are from 04/19-08/19 so far.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2023, 09:06 PM   #43
Giggler
Banned
Rep
Drives: 20' M340i, 24' X5 40i

Quote:
From what I’ve seen affected are from 04/19-08/19 so far.
My car was manufactured 04/19
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2023, 09:07 PM   #44
b58.fazil
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giggler View Post
My car was manufactured 04/19
Are you having the oil pump issue?
Appreciate 0