BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance (Wash/Wax/Detailing/Exterior Restoration & Repairs)

07-10-2015, 11:03 AM   #23
shortseller
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘18 ABM F80ZCP/dct

Quote:
Originally Posted by jawwadh View Post
make sure u buy a metal house quick connect to replace the plastic included one which leaks from day 1
I did, thx. Yeah strange at that price they wouldn't included metal. It's a cheap upgrade and at bulk pricing I suspect it won't cost the company much.
      07-10-2015, 11:07 AM   #24
BEMR
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 15 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortseller View Post
Yeah...not going to debate hose/bucket wash vs pressure/soap bottle bucket wash, folks can make up their own minds on this but I will say, when operating power tools a level of knowledge and respect must be implemented to ensure a positive result.

I especially appreciate the power washer results on my wheels, now with every wash the rims look great!
I hear ya on that, probably the best part of any forum, the differing opinions right or wrong you can decide from all the perspectives.

As far as your mention of the wheels/rims and the benefit of power washing at least those, I'm ok with that but to avoid the p/washer setup etc, i found this item to be the best wheel cleaning device ever, they should include it in the trunk equipment of every BMW, it actually gets into every tight spot on our wheels no matter how narrow and actually makes cleaning your wheels fun, and easy. This is a MUST have item IMO especially since there is a possibility you could spray off a tire weight with too much power washing.

Name:  20150520_180853_resized_1.jpg
Views: 320
Size:  563.9 KB

With integrity nothing else matters, without integrity nothing else matters.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2015, 11:30 AM   #25
shortseller
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘18 ABM F80ZCP/dct

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEMR View Post
I hear ya on that, probably the best part of any forum, the differing opinions right or wrong you can decide from all the perspectives.

As far as your mention of the wheels/rims...This is a MUST have item IMO especially since there is a possibility you could spray off a tire weight with too much power washing.

Attachment 1242019
Have had it for years, agreed a must have, and still do between the soap and rinse stage.
      07-10-2015, 02:54 PM   #26
dmk08
Gone Fishin’
United_States
Rep
Drives: Walks

Quote:
Originally Posted by jawwadh View Post
make sure u buy a metal house quick connect to replace the plastic included one which leaks from day 1
My plastic one isn't leaking and I've had it a few months.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2015, 12:43 PM   #27
RocketBoots
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Horse Drawn Carriage

Quote:
Also my comments on this topic always seem to spark controversy, I have owned BMW'S many for about 20 years, never waxed, never buffed, never pressure washed, my cars today are a f82 and a 13 128i convertible, both cars look like they just were just delivered, no dullness,no swirl marks, nothing. It's all about the wash process that causes the need to have to detail the paint surface anyway in the first place, if done properly there is no need.

I am attaching a very good read from Edmund's.com also pay attention to what the last paragraph States relating to clear coat finishes today from statements made by a chemist for PPG (that part by a commentor although) who manufactures the clear coat. Then finally nowhere in the article does it mention anything about pressure washing.

http://www.edmunds.com/car-care/conf...detailers.html
I can see why your comments would spark some controversy, from the detailing industry. While I disagree most of your comments, I agree that a lot of damage to cars is done by improper washing. Also, your car may look like it was just delivered, but maybe that's because it was delivered with a bunch of swirls

I'm no professional detailer, but to me, a lot of detailing is common sense. You don't drag a dirty rag across your paint. Wash the cleanest parts of the car fist. Etc, etc. I personally don't like to polish my cars much if at all, because it removes the protective clear. A few (or a bunch of) swirls look a lot better than clear coat failure.

I find it really, really hard to believe you have NO swirls in your paint, especially on any of your previous cars. I'd be willing to bet the farm you do, but you just don't notice them, or don't care. Color makes a big difference in the visibility, of course, but I've never seen a car without swirls. Cars can still shine and look very good with swirls.

As for pressure washing, my purpose for a pressure washer is as a method of dispensing soap (with a foam cannon): Adding lubricity and allowing some of the initial dirt to wash away. I do NOT view it as having the same purpose as much more powerful pressure washers used to clean decks, siding, concrete. I agree, those definitely would damage the paint.

Maybe I drank the detailer kool-aid, but as someone who likes clean cars and used big box store products in the past, I definitely see a difference with some of the 'high-end' stuff. Clay bars, fallout removers, non-detergent soaps, good towels... I used to wonder why sometimes I'd clean a car, and still feel bumps when I ran my hand over the paint. Now I know.
Appreciate 1
      07-11-2015, 12:48 PM   #28
RocketBoots
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Horse Drawn Carriage

Quote:

As far as your mention of the wheels/rims and the benefit of power washing at least those, I'm ok with that but to avoid the p/washer setup etc, i found this item to be the best wheel cleaning device ever, they should include it in the trunk equipment of every BMW, it actually gets into every tight spot on our wheels no matter how narrow and actually makes cleaning your wheels fun, and easy. This is a MUST have item IMO especially since there is a possibility you could spray off a tire weight with too much power washing.

I have this. While I agree it lets you get behind the calipers, which is the tightest spot of the wheel, I HATE it because of the overspray. It flicks all that dissolved/emuslified brake dust everywhere! I can be careful not to get it ALL over me, but I still have lots of black dots on my clothes and arms most of the time. I quit using it, and switched to Wheel Woolies. I found those to be MUCH better. If I really want to get behind the caliper, I use the smallest woolie, and it does a great job. Worth checking out if you haven't used them before.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2015, 07:20 PM   #29
BEMR
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketBoots
Quote:

[IMG]http://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/att...9&d=1436543376[/IMG]
I have this. While I agree it lets you get behind the calipers, which is the tightest spot of the wheel, I HATE it because of the overspray. It flicks all that dissolved/emuslified brake dust everywhere! I can be careful not to get it ALL over me, but I still have lots of black dots on my clothes and arms most of the time. I quit using it, and switched to Wheel Woolies. I found those to be MUCH better. If I really want to get behind the caliper, I use the smallest woolie, and it does a great job. Worth checking out if you haven't used them before.
I understand what your saying but if anybody is critical of paint flaw, swirls, oxidation, dull color, orange peel, and so on its me. My cars do not start out from the dealer with any paint imperfections whatsoever.

I'm in the Temecula area more than happy to meet anybody to check out, like I said before a wax cloth will not slide across paint surface, but my color and shine will look the same.

Pressure and abrasiveness not good on a paint surface ask PPG. Like the article mentions, our clear coats are as thick as one third the thickness of a post it note, why take the chance.

As far as the wheel cleaning tool, I hear ya on the wet brake dust splatter, just keep your head above the wheel height, and stand partially aside, no problem.

Appreciate 0
      07-12-2015, 08:40 AM   #30
Walt Dockery
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: na

Quote:

Also my comments on this topic always seem to spark controversy, I have owned BMW'S many for about 20 years, never waxed, never buffed, never pressure washed, my cars today are a f82 and a 13 128i convertible, both cars look like they just were just delivered, no dullness,no swirl marks, nothing. It's all about the wash process that causes the need to have to detail the paint surface anyway in the first place, if done properly there is no need.

I am attaching a very good read from Edmund's.com also pay attention to what the last paragraph States relating to clear coat finishes today from statements made by a chemist for PPG (that part by a commentor although) who manufactures the clear coat. Then finally nowhere in the article does it mention anything about pressure washing.

The ppg reference was not only in the comments section, It wasn't from a ppg chemist rather it was from a guy who claims his uncle was a ppg chemist. 3rd hand info at best, no thanks.

This is like people who dispense medical/health advice backed up by "trust me, my mom is a doctor".
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2015, 09:23 AM   #31
BEMR
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt Dockery
Quote:

The ppg reference was not only in the comments section, It wasn't from a ppg chemist rather it was from a guy who claims his uncle was a ppg chemist. 3rd hand info at best, no thanks.

This is like people who dispense medical/health advice backed up by "trust me, my mom is a doctor".
Funny how the multi billion dollar a year detail industry just does not want to let people get out of the box a little to see if this could be true, and by the way I did mention originally the PPG citing was from a 3rd party. Clear Coating has advanced leaps and bounds over the years yet traditional auto detailing has stayed the same, so lets see if Corporate PPG can back any of my claims not a 3rd party.......

http://corporate.ppg.com/Innovation/...clearcoat.aspx

Appreciate 0
      07-12-2015, 09:31 AM   #32
BEMR
Colonel
United_States
Rep

And with that in mind this is also a good read or is this guy mixed up too...

http://web-cars.com/phorum/read.php?1,44288

Appreciate 0
      07-12-2015, 09:41 AM   #33
BEMR
Colonel
United_States
Rep

And finally I realize these links create some pretty good factual examples other than my own cars, but nobody will buff, wax , or clean my car, especially power spray, and if washed properly from the beginning your paint clear coat will stay good as new. Power sprayers can ruin paint if you just put the nozzle a little to close to a painted surface, like the guy here recently that had paint chipped away from his bumper and it looked like a battery acid spill, was most likely a dealer power sprayer.

Appreciate 0
      07-12-2015, 12:24 PM   #34
Walt Dockery
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: na

Quote:
Funny how the multi billion dollar a year detail industry just does not want to let people get out of the box a little to see if this could be true, and by the way I did mention originally the PPG citing was from a 3rd party. Clear Coating has advanced leaps and bounds over the years yet traditional auto detailing has stayed the same, so lets see if Corporate PPG can back any of my claims not a 3rd party.......

http://corporate.ppg.com/Innovation/...clearcoat.aspx

You acknowledged it was in the comments but neglected to mention the guy was claiming knowledge based on his uncle.

The "multi billion $" (and highly fragmented) detailing industry is different from the automotive paint industry. The paint cos and OEMs have zero incentive to keep this secret, sorry but your conspiracy theory doesn't hold water.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2015, 12:30 PM   #35
BEMR
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt Dockery View Post
You acknowledged it was in the comments but neglected to mention the guy was claiming knowledge based on his uncle.

The "multi billion $" (and highly fragmented) detailing industry is different from the automotive paint industry. The paint cos and OEMs have zero incentive to keep this secret, sorry but your conspiracy theory doesn't hold water.
That's why I cited the PPG Corporate sites own article on Clear Coat, NOT the third parties, you need to read their article on the link. Also the xx billion dollar industry standard comes from an organization used in citing gross revenues of certain industries, maybe their wrong too, and not stating in any way a "conspiracy" lol, in any sort of the imagination. Just trying to point out the other side of a story that so many just hate to hear, also lol.

Appreciate 1
      07-12-2015, 12:37 PM   #36
BEMR
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Recently had this same conversation with a 30 year industry professional auto detailer, he was able to show different stages in photos in which he was able to take swirl marks and scratches back to almost the cars original look. He had stage 1, 2, and 3 levels of photos. One being a Porsche 911, in the stage one photos it was quite clear that there were major swirl marks, fine scratches, etc. it just looked like shit, 2 was the process to repair, and 3 were final results. They were great and amazing to say the least, but my argument was that if it were my 911 it would have never came to the stage one level, and what in the hell was that guy doing to his paint to make it look so shitty in the first place. His answer, "no response".

Appreciate 0
      07-26-2015, 11:28 PM   #37
motex
2020 Mineral White 30d MSport
Costa Rica
Rep
Drives: 2020 Mineral White 30d MSport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravymark View Post
Not everything, but it does get a decent amount off. Plus it's fun to cover your car in foam!
+1
Me playing with my GoPro and my Karcher foam cannon