BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > Rear Swaybar Install Problems!!

03-27-2019, 01:15 PM   #23
M2joey
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M2, 335is, X5 M50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotxERAU View Post
So the rear is a PITA for very little gain. What are thoughts on just the front being installed and rear OEM left alone.
It is a big investment for the gain, I feel. I will not be installing one and I drive my M2 like it was just stolen, on the track. The front is a nice improvement, from what I hear, I will be doing that at some point.

Again, if you are building a serious go fast car for the track. That extra 13% would certainly be valuable.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2019, 07:59 PM   #24
PilotxERAU
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 F87 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by isjoey View Post
It is a big investment for the gain, I feel. I will not be installing one and I drive my M2 like it was just stolen, on the track. The front is a nice improvement, from what I hear, I will be doing that at some point.

Again, if you are building a serious go fast car for the track. That extra 13% would certainly be valuable.
That was pretty much my feeling as well. I have the front in and I do feel a tighter more direct front end and turn-in. I think I will leave the rear OEM for the time being as long as there are no adverse handing issues when I get it on a track.

Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2019, 10:10 AM   #25
Anthony1s
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2018 Mineral Grey M2

Quote:
That was pretty much my feeling as well. I have the front in and I do feel a tighter more direct front end and turn-in. I think I will leave the rear OEM for the time being as long as there are no adverse handing issues when I get it on a track.

Thanks.
Did you use the Dinan front end links? I'm getting some creaking noises come from them when I'm driving real slow and turning the wheel. For example, backing out of a parking space. My mechanic can reproduce the sounds by grabbing the end link and putting force on it. I'm emailing Dinan about it now.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2019, 12:34 PM   #26
PilotxERAU
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony1s View Post
Did you use the Dinan front end links? I'm getting some creaking noises come from them when I'm driving real slow and turning the wheel. For example, backing out of a parking space. My mechanic can reproduce the sounds by grabbing the end link and putting force on it. I'm emailing Dinan about it now.
I am using the Dinan front links. I over torqued the links at the sway bar as you recommended and I also did a spirited drive with lots of lateral g loading and so far no issue. I am not hearing anything. Hopefully it stays that way. I still need an alignment though.
Appreciate 1
Anthony1s756.50
      04-01-2019, 12:52 PM   #27
Anthony1s
Banned
Rep

Quote:
I am using the Dinan front links. I over torqued the links at the sway bar as you recommended and I also did a spirited drive with lots of lateral g loading and so far no issue. I am not hearing anything. Hopefully it stays that way. I still need an alignment though.
Thanks, they're sending me new links.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2019, 06:53 PM   #28
PilotxERAU
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Any issues with the rear sway? All good there?
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2019, 07:56 PM   #29
Anthony1s
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Any issues with the rear sway? All good there?
Nope, all good there.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2019, 08:56 PM   #30
PilotxERAU
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Hey Anthony1, I readjusted my links to the stiffest sway bar hole and now I am getting clanking sound like metal on metal popping sounds when turning the wheel at low speed mostly when backing up. Is h=this like what you experienced? Maybe I have to torque down the sway bar bolt more? Not sure if this is detrimental but it doesn't sound like its good.
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2019, 08:16 PM   #31
Anthony1s
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Hey Anthony1, I readjusted my links to the stiffest sway bar hole and now I am getting clanking sound like metal on metal popping sounds when turning the wheel at low speed mostly when backing up. Is h=this like what you experienced? Maybe I have to torque down the sway bar bolt more? Not sure if this is detrimental but it doesn't sound like its good.
You're talking about the front bar, right? Seems like what I got. If you can get a recording I can confirm for you it's the same sound. I was at the dealership the other day for new rear tires and they commented on the sound, said it might from not replacing the strut brace bolts when I had the coilovers installed... but I did replace them. One thing I was reading about was it could be from not replacing the bottom stiffening plate bolts. I didn't replace mine. The thread that was talking about it I think the M2 had stock suspension, but it seemed like that had a similar sound and that replacing the bolts fixed it. Whenever I upgrade the downpipe I was gonna replace those bolts with it, but since it's simple, I may order the bolts and do it now instead of waiting. Cause I won't be doing the downpipe until beginning of next year. Anyway, that's where I'm at in my thinking now. Doesn't seem like tightening the sway bolts more would resolve the noises, as mine are already a little over tightened.

You're on OEM springs and shocks right?
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2019, 06:43 PM   #32
PilotxERAU
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
You're talking about the front bar, right? Seems like what I got. If you can get a recording I can confirm for you it's the same sound. I was at the dealership the other day for new rear tires and they commented on the sound, said it might from not replacing the strut brace bolts when I had the coilovers installed... but I did replace them. One thing I was reading about was it could be from not replacing the bottom stiffening plate bolts. I didn't replace mine. The thread that was talking about it I think the M2 had stock suspension, but it seemed like that had a similar sound and that replacing the bolts fixed it. Whenever I upgrade the downpipe I was gonna replace those bolts with it, but since it's simple, I may order the bolts and do it now instead of waiting. Cause I won't be doing the downpipe until beginning of next year. Anyway, that's where I'm at in my thinking now. Doesn't seem like tightening the sway bolts more would resolve the noises, as mine are already a little over tightened.

You're on OEM springs and shocks right?
Yes the front. I have the Dinan bar and Dinan coilover kit on the stock shocks. I went as far as putting a GoPro in the wheel well and it visually looks like the end links are functioning properly with no binding. I can hear the clang/metallic pop or snap type sound on the video when turning the wheel to maneuver for backing up or going forward at low speeds. So you may be onto something with the screws being a problem. I did not change the screws out when installing bar. I also slightly over tightened the sway bolts like you.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2019, 06:50 AM   #33
CSBM5
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2 Comp, 2011 M3, etc

This reminds me of my E46 with Turner sway bars on it. I kept getting noise from the front bar/links; binding like clink at slow speeds, etc. I checked and rechecked everything, loosened and properly retorqued bolts, etc. That would clear up the noise, but it would come back again within a few days each time. I solved it by tightening the end link to bar nut "goodentight"...meaning about as much force as I could put into a 12" long ratchet offset with the 16mm thin wrench on the end link side.

I made sure I wasn't going to crazy on that torque as you don't want the bolt to be stressed over its elastic limit. The end link bolt is loaded in shear, so there isn't an additive load to the bolt torque tension stress.

No more noise. This was in 2007. I sold the car to my daughter about 10 years ago, who still has it, and it's never been a problem again since.

Not sure that helps, but if the noise goes away after retorquing the end link to bar nut for a short period of time and returns, you might be able to isolate it to that joint.
2007 E91 328i Silver, slushbox, Eibach fr/E93 M3 rear sway bars, ARC-8
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2019, 08:35 AM   #34
PilotxERAU
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSBM5 View Post
This reminds me of my E46 with Turner sway bars on it. I kept getting noise from the front bar/links; binding like clink at slow speeds, etc. I checked and rechecked everything, loosened and properly retorqued bolts, etc. That would clear up the noise, but it would come back again within a few days each time. I solved it by tightening the end link to bar nut "goodentight"...meaning about as much force as I could put into a 12" long ratchet offset with the 16mm thin wrench on the end link side.

I made sure I wasn't going to crazy on that torque as you don't want the bolt to be stressed over its elastic limit. The end link bolt is loaded in shear, so there isn't an additive load to the bolt torque tension stress.

No more noise. This was in 2007. I sold the car to my daughter about 10 years ago, who still has it, and it's never been a problem again since.

Not sure that helps, but if the noise goes away after retorquing the end link to bar nut for a short period of time and returns, you might be able to isolate it to that joint.
Thanks I will try cinching it down more.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2019, 09:32 AM   #35
Anthony1s
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Thanks I will try cinching it down more.
I'm not even sure my noise is coming from the sway bar, because I had coilovers installed at the same time. And there is another thread heard of guys with Ohlins coilovers which seem to have the same noise. Then there is you who didn't get the noise until stiffening the sway bar. Very hard to track this down.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2022, 12:20 AM   #36
neonbrown
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

im experiencing some of the same issues, did anybody ever figure this out? maybe in another thread
Appreciate 0