BMW
X7 and XM
forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos Still want an EV?

01-19-2024, 01:51 PM   #6073
Car-Addicted
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M4 CS

Garage List
2020 BMW M4 CS  [9.88]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murf the Surf View Post
There is a stretch of the Trans Canada Highway in northern Ontario where it's over 300 miles between gas stations.
When green grifters have wet dreams this is what they dream about.

Appreciate 4
      01-19-2024, 01:54 PM   #6074
eugenebmw
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G82 M4, G22 M440, E92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Car-Addicted View Post
Enjoy your two strokes now. Soon the next time you fire up that leaf blower, the black SUV's will show up in your drive way.

Two-strokes always bring back my early skiing days, My best friend had several Saab 93 Monte Carlo's we took to the ski areas. Good fun, Freewheeling is an acquired taste in mountain country.
You mean this
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      01-19-2024, 02:01 PM   #6075
Car-Addicted
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW M4 CS  [9.88]
Quote:
Originally Posted by eugenebmw View Post
You mean this
No I mean this, Use of leaf bowers is a constitutional crisis and an environmental catastrophe of biblical proportions.

Appreciate 4
M5Rick61920.00
Efthreeoh17492.00
      01-19-2024, 02:03 PM   #6076
eugenebmw
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
No I mean this, Use of leaf bowers is a constitutional crisis and an environmental catastrophe of biblical proportions.

We better keep our mouths shut
Appreciate 3
M5Rick61920.00
Efthreeoh17492.00
      01-19-2024, 02:39 PM   #6077
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Quote:

I think you mean an existential threat...

Err... existential crisis.
Appreciate 4
M5Rick61920.00
eugenebmw1597.00
      01-19-2024, 05:03 PM   #6078
eugenebmw
Lieutenant
Rep

My ex Tesla friends told me ppl are making fun of them when they have the EVs.

Charging orphans - They don't have a place to charge because they lived in the buildings without EV plugs. They all go to the supercharger at lunch and again after dinner Some of the OP in this forum are saying they are so happy not to make a gas station visit. I guess that is something my friends never get it
Appreciate 5
M5Rick61920.00
Efthreeoh17492.00
      01-19-2024, 05:32 PM   #6079
M5Rick
General
Rep
Drives: M5 F10 DCT Gunmetal

Quote:
Originally Posted by eugenebmw View Post
My ex Tesla friends told me ppl are making fun of them when they have the EVs.

Charging orphans - They don't have a place to charge because they lived in the buildings without EV plugs. They all go to the supercharger at lunch and again after dinner Some of the OP in this forum are saying they are so happy not to make a gas station visit. I guess that is something my friends never get it
The supercharger station was the 'hanging out' place for them, I can't think of a worse place to waste your time
Appreciate 4
      01-19-2024, 05:47 PM   #6080
eugenebmw
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M5Rick View Post
The supercharger station was the 'hanging out' place for them, I can't think of a worse place to waste your time
The city my friends live in only has 12 supercharge stations for the whole city. I think they spend more time to see their EV buddy than anyone
Appreciate 3
      01-20-2024, 04:17 AM   #6081
Car-Addicted
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW M4 CS  [9.88]
More truth from the Financial pages:
With Germany in recession and Detroit reeling over ultra-cheap Chinese EVs, Beijing vows to crack down on ‘blind’ construction of new projects
1/19/24
China is making automakers around the world nervous. Its domestic carmakers—helped by generous state subsidies—are churning out alarmingly inexpensive electric vehicles at a relentless pace, saturating their home market and threatening EV manufacturers overseas.
Xin Guobin, vice-minister of industry and information technology, said that Beijing would take “forceful measures” to address what he called “blind” construction of new EV projects—i.e., not justified by demand—by some Chinese carmakers and local authorities, as reported by the Financial Times.

“Their price is kept artificially low by huge state subsidies. This is distorting our market,” European Commission President Ursula von der Leyen said in September. “And as we do not accept this distortion from the inside in our market, we do not accept this from the outside.”
Last year in China, BYD launched the Seagull, an EV with a cutthroat price of about $11,000. It quickly became one of the best-selling EVs in China. The Seagull and similar models from China could prove to be a disruptive force in overseas markets.
https://sg.finance.yahoo.com/news/ge...201412706.html
Appreciate 4
      01-20-2024, 05:39 AM   #6082
Tejas1836
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2023 X5MC Workmaster 75

ˆˆˆˆ
Yeah, I'd park those in my garage
      01-20-2024, 06:02 AM   #6083
murderspice
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M2

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [10.00]
  [10.00]
Quote:
the next time you fire up that leaf blower, the black SUV's will show up in your drive way.
Please ease up on the hyperbole; it detracts from your position and makes you sound crazed.
      01-20-2024, 09:04 AM   #6084
Car-Addicted
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW M4 CS  [9.88]
Quote:
Originally Posted by murderspice View Post
Please ease up on the hyperbole; it detracts from your position and makes you sound crazed.
I find a sense of humor is the best response to these insane times, you should try it sometime.
Appreciate 6
      01-20-2024, 09:18 AM   #6085
Car-Addicted
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW M4 CS  [9.88]
Ford Cuts Michigan Workforce for Electric Truck That Joe Bozo Touted
19 Jan 2024
On Friday, Ford executives announced that about 1,400 auto workers at the Rouge Electric Vehicle Center in Dearborn, Michigan, would be moved to other manufacturing jobs at the company or offered retirement packages.
The workforce cuts come as Ford scales back production of its all-electric F-150 Lightning due to a lack of demand among American consumers.
“This sucker’s quick,” Bozo said while driving the pickup truck.
At the same time, Ford executives said they are hiring about 900 auto workers in Michigan to produce traditional gas-powered cars, indicating that such vehicles are in high demand against electric vehicles (EVs).
The latest Rasmussen Report survey, though, found that 65 percent of American adults said they were not likely to consider buying an EV when purchasing their next car — including 37 percent who stated they are “not at all likely” to buy an EV. Fewer than three in ten Americans said they would consider purchasing an EV.
A Consumer Reports survey conducted in late 2023 found that EVs have almost 80 percent more problems than gas-powered cars using traditional combustion engines.
https://www.breitbart.com/economy/20...-biden-touted/

I'm feeling more cynical than usual today. So did Ford, under pressure of CAFE fines in 2023 keep up production of EV's knowing that they would scale back in 2024 and eliminate EV jobs in an election year?
Appreciate 3
      01-20-2024, 09:33 AM   #6086
Car-Addicted
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW M4 CS  [9.88]
Got me thinking:
U.S. Automakers Face Over $14 Billion In Fines For Failing To Meet CAFE Standards
October 3, 2023
The proposal from the Bozo’s administration to hike fuel economy standards through 2032 would end up costing automakers billions of dollars. It would reportedly cost General Motors about $6.5 billion and Stellantis $3 billion. Additionally, Ford would be on the hook for about $1 billion.
Detroit’s three automakers face $2,151 per vehicles in compliance costs compared with $546 per vehicle on average sold by other automakers, the letter said, and the policy “would reward those auto manufacturers resisting the transition to a fully electric future the most.”
Automakers buy credits or pay fines if they cannot meet CAFE requirements. In June, Reuters first reported Stellantis and GM paid a total of $363 million in CAFE fines for failing to meet U.S. fuel economy requirements for prior model years.
https://jalopnik.com/failing-to-meet...-ov-1850894492

So next time you are angry about the cost increase in you next car or truck, Blame the Bozo's in Washington and not the auto manufacturers.
Appreciate 4
      01-20-2024, 09:34 AM   #6087
murderspice
Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [10.00]
  [10.00]
The consumer side was definitely oversold without the infrastructure to back it up. Hopefully governments can respond and get these issues solved for people before (channeling car-addicted) everyone’s house burns down or black suvs show up at your house. I have full faith that washington is more than willing to blow through billions of dollars in the name of infrastructure if given the opportunity, lol. We just need more revenue.
eugenebmw1597.00
      01-20-2024, 10:07 AM   #6088
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
The consumer side was definitely oversold without the infrastructure to back it up. Hopefully governments can respond and get these issues solved for people before (channeling car-addicted) everyone’s house burns down or black suvs show up at your house. I have full faith that Washington is more than willing to blow through billions of dollars in the name of infrastructure if given the opportunity, lol. We just need more revenue.
Washington already did in GFY 2023 (October 2022). Last I read, so far, two chargers were installed in Massachusetts. We just need a faster printing press...
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."
Appreciate 3
      01-20-2024, 10:15 AM   #6089
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Ford Cuts Michigan Workforce for Electric Truck That Joe Bozo Touted
19 Jan 2024
On Friday, Ford executives announced that about 1,400 auto workers at the Rouge Electric Vehicle Center in Dearborn, Michigan, would be moved to other manufacturing jobs at the company or offered retirement packages.
The workforce cuts come as Ford scales back production of its all-electric F-150 Lightning due to a lack of demand among American consumers.
“This sucker’s quick,” Bozo said while driving the pickup truck.
*At the same time, Ford executives said they are hiring about 900 auto workers in Michigan to produce traditional gas-powered cars, indicating that such vehicles are in high demand against electric vehicles (EVs).
The latest Rasmussen Report survey, though, found that 65 percent of American adults said they were not likely to consider buying an EV when purchasing their next car — including 37 percent who stated they are “not at all likely” to buy an EV. Fewer than three in ten Americans said they would consider purchasing an EV.
A Consumer Reports survey conducted in late 2023 found that EVs have almost 80 percent more problems than gas-powered cars using traditional combustion engines.
https://www.breitbart.com/economy/20...-biden-touted/

I'm feeling more cynical than usual today. So did Ford, under pressure of CAFE fines in 2023 keep up production of EV's knowing that they would scale back in 2024 and eliminate EV jobs in an election year?
* Details. To be fair, Ford is reportedly adding a 3rd shift to the Michigan Assembly Plant (MAP) where the Bronco and Ranger are built. From FoMoCo:

"DEARBORN, Mich., Jan. 19, 2024 – Ford Motor Company announced plans to create nearly 900 new jobs as part of a new third crew at Michigan Assembly Plant in Wayne to meet demand for the popular Bronco and Bronco Raptor and the all-new Ranger and Ranger Raptor.

The company is moving nimbly across its global footprint to capitalize on its balanced lineup and serve customers with the right mix of gas-powered, hybrid and electric vehicles, while optimizing financial returns.

In addition to nearly 900 net new hires, the new 1,600-person third crew at Michigan Assembly Plant will also include approximately 700 employees from Ford’s Rouge Complex in Dearborn who applied for job openings.

Ford is adding the manpower this summer to support planned future volume increases for vehicle lines assembled at the plant. The all-new Ranger and Ranger Raptor are on track to launch this year. Michigan Assembly Plant will transition to producing vehicles seven days a week versus five currently, with three crews working two shifts.

Approximately 1,400 employees will be impacted as the Rouge Electric Vehicle Center transitions to one shift effective April 1. Roughly 700 will transfer to Michigan Assembly Plant and the others will be placed in roles at the Rouge Complex or other facilities in Southeast Michigan, or take advantage of the Special Retirement Incentive Program agreed to in the 2023 Ford-UAW contract."

Edit:

Just to add. BMW lost my business in 2022 as a result of it not selling a regular sport-package 3-series with a manual transmission. A Ford Bronco filled the bill.
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."

Last edited by Efthreeoh; 01-20-2024 at 10:28 AM..
Appreciate 5
      01-20-2024, 10:25 AM   #6090
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
If you knew how Montgomery County Maryland is run, it's not hyperbole. When I lived there and the county declared a "red alert" for air quality, I'd go out and fire up as many of my lawn equipment engines as I could.

I suggested my friend convert his leafblower to run a small electric generator to charge the batteries of the electric leafblower he'll have to buy next year.
Appreciate 2
eugenebmw1597.00
      01-20-2024, 10:31 AM   #6091
murderspice
Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [10.00]
  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
We just need a faster printing press...
I doubt we’d be so reliant on deficit spending if we actually went for the low hanging fruit; things like tax enforcement and closing loopholes brings vast fucking waves of revenue (my words). Why should some asshole get away with easily discoverable tax fraud just because he’s rich and files a more “complicated” tax form than me. Fuck him, he should get caught and have to pay just like i would. Same with people with offshore tax havens; or am i the sucker because Im not rich like them? /rant
      01-20-2024, 10:34 AM   #6092
Murf the Surf
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Porsche 993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
If you knew how Montgomery County Maryland is run, it's not hyperbole. When I lived there and the county declared a "red alert" for air quality, I'd go out and fire up as many of my lawn equipment engines as I could.

I suggested my friend convert his leafblower to run a small electric generator to charge the batteries of the electric leafblower he'll have to buy next year.
The city of Toronto is planning on banning gas powered lawn mowers, leaf blowers, snow blowers etc.
Appreciate 3
      01-20-2024, 10:57 AM   #6093
Car-Addicted
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW M4 CS  [9.88]
Some times you just need a good The Babylon Bee

SACRAMENTO, CA — With skyrocketing costs and grid failures across California, the Californian government is recommending everyone purchase a giant human-sized hamster wheel to generate electricity to charge their electric cars.

Appreciate 5
eugenebmw1597.00
NickyC17683.00
KRS_SN13742.00
      01-20-2024, 11:03 AM   #6094
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I doubt we’d be so reliant on deficit spending if we actually went for the low hanging fruit; things like tax enforcement and closing loopholes brings vast fucking waves of revenue (my words). Why should some asshole get away with easily discoverable tax fraud just because he’s rich and files a more “complicated” tax form than me. Fuck him, he should get caught and have to pay just like i would. Same with people with offshore tax havens; or am I the sucker because I'm not rich like them? /rant
I'd prefer tax law that promotes capital investment in American companies and technology to increase the US job base, which would generate more tax revenue.
Appreciate 5