BMW X7 (G07) Forums General BMW X7 Forum X7 Snow Mode

11-16-2022, 11:09 AM   #45
toddwalton
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2019 X7 - 2024 G26

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW5and7 View Post
Yes, you should never turn traction control off in snow….
Now this was years ago, and this was in a different BMW, but I was once unable to get the car up a steep incline in the snow, the wheels would not move when I applied the gas.

So I had to turn traction control off and gently push the accelerator to get the wheels moving and up the hill.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2022, 11:22 AM   #46
streborx
Major
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X7 M50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddwalton View Post
Now this was years ago, and this was in a different BMW, but I was once unable to get the car up a steep incline in the snow, the wheels would not move when I applied the gas.

So I had to turn traction control off and gently push the accelerator to get the wheels moving and up the hill.
My experience was similar -- my 2006 Pathfinder would cut the throttle halfway up a hill, and there was no disable button. My 2013 Lexus would behave similarly, but disabling the traction control allowed me to make it all the way up, albeit with some tire slippage and some counter-steering necessary.
Appreciate 1
toddwalton1337.50
      11-16-2022, 12:46 PM   #47
DancyQ
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Honda Accord - Manual

Coming back to the OP, if I am in all season tires, is eco a better mode to drive in snow vs. comfort? I am no pro but understands that it won't be a good idea to drive in sports mode in snow but wondering if eco vs comfort will make a difference?
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2022, 03:12 PM   #48
BMW5and7
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: X7;X5;S-Class;Navigator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DancyQ View Post
Coming back to the OP, if I am in all season tires, is eco a better mode to drive in snow vs. comfort? I am no pro but understands that it won't be a good idea to drive in sports mode in snow but wondering if eco vs comfort will make a difference?
On early morning hours, when there is more ice than snow, I found eco-pro to be really useful especially that my foot is a bit heavy on the gas pedal sometimes. I kina naturally adjusts the throttle to a lower lever which is exactly what you want to do in snow conditions. It might be as safe in Comfort, but I certainly feel it is easier to handle and take off in Pro Mode and not be too worried on slipper roads. Just make sure to be on Pro-Individual, and have the AC Pro mode deactivated so that you don't compromise heating, and limit the Pro mode to soft engine throttle only.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2022, 03:43 PM   #49
Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F06 650ix GC / F15 X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by streborx View Post
Haven't had a chance to- experience traction control yet. Does it brake a spinning wheel only, or does it kill the throttle too?
BMW's DSC does both. ASC (automatic stability control) is at the base of DSC. ASC debut on BMWs back in the early 1990s and it's function was to reduce engine throttle when rear wheel slip was detected. By 1993...BMW introduced the next iteration of ASC+T...which added ABS braking to the rear wheels to aid ASC. Then in 1995 BMW introduced DSC on the 7 & 8 series...then rolled it out over the next years across the entire line...DSC brought ABS braking to both the front & rear axle and ASC's engine throttle reduction if any wheel detected slippage or loss of traction.

{There are probably embedded videos in iDrive that go over the features of DSC as well as xDrive. You can usually find them quickly if you go to the owners manual in iDrive}

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddwalton View Post

I believe there is a paragraph in the owners manual that discusses this.

When conditions like deep snow or an icy incline...overcoming engine throttle reduction and ABS braking can hinder forward movement...in these conditions it is recommended to deactivate DSC. Spinning your wheels without the engine throttle being cut back can actually get you moving on an icy incline (or similar predicament). Once underway, you can reactivate DSC.
Attached Images

Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.

Last edited by Qsilver7; 11-16-2022 at 04:15 PM..
Appreciate 1
toddwalton1337.50
      11-16-2022, 03:51 PM   #50
BMW5and7
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qsilver7 View Post
I believe there is a paragraph in the owners manual that discusses this.

When conditions like deep snow or an icy incline...overcoming engine throttle reduction and ABS braking can hinder forward movement...in these conditions it is recommended to deactivate DSC. Spinning your wheels without the engine throttle being cut back can actually get you moving on an icy incline (or similar predicament). Once underway, you can reactivate DSC.
That's exactly why I think the Snow-Mode is not a redundant system to X-drive. My Lincoln Navigator does really very well in Snow-Mode in snow/icy conditions and adjusts the throttle vs ABS vs wheels spinning as needed. It cuts through deep snow, and moves up on inclined icy surface just fine. In my view, much better than the X7 . I still think Snow-Mode is something the X7 is missing. Although others have said that the off-road package that was discontinued might have included Snow-Mode.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2022, 10:30 AM   #51
DancyQ
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Honda Accord - Manual

Quote:
On early morning hours, when there is more ice than snow, I found eco-pro to be really useful especially that my foot is a bit heavy on the gas pedal sometimes. I kina naturally adjusts the throttle to a lower lever which is exactly what you want to do in snow conditions. It might be as safe in Comfort, but I certainly feel it is easier to handle and take off in Pro Mode and not be too worried on slipper roads. Just make sure to be on Pro-Individual, and have the AC Pro mode deactivated so that you don't compromise heating, and limit the Pro mode to soft engine throttle only.
Thank you.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2022, 01:57 PM   #52
blutob2
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 X7 40i

Quote:
Well, I wouldn't consider that as the only benefit, that would be an underestimation. IMO:

Does it helps inexperience drives? yes.
Is that a plus? Yes
Does it help experiences drivers too? Yes
Is it safer and more convenient? yes for both experiences and inexperienced drivers.
Sorry man I disagree. I grew up in the south but was stationed in ND and it obviously snowed a lot, I mean a lot. I learned how to drive in that pretty well over the course of 5 years. Hell, I drove a RWD stick shift up there and made it around safely. Experienced drivers do not necessarily need Snow Mode. Only my last SUV actually had this, which was the Hyundai Palisade. It worked fine but I didn't personally need it. I took it to CO and managed just fine. I then got the X7 with no Snow Mode and took it to ND over xmas last year. Had tons of snow and it handled extremely well. Ultimately, it's the driver. The AWD X7 doesn't need a separate snow mode, I can tell that difference with my Palisade. When I traded for the X7, I didn't even bat an eye on it not having a Snow mode.

Last edited by blutob2; 11-17-2022 at 02:04 PM..
Appreciate 1
Gdwheel54.00
      11-17-2022, 02:11 PM   #53
BMW5and7
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by blutob2 View Post
Sorry man I disagree. I grew up in the south but was stationed in ND and it obviously snowed a lot, I mean a lot. I learned how to drive in that pretty well over the course of 5 years. Hell, I drove a RWD stick shift up there and made it around safely. Experienced drivers do not necessarily need Snow Mode. Only my last SUV actually had this, which was the Hyundai Palisade. It worked fine but I didn't personally need it. I took it to CO and managed just fine. I then got the X7 with no Snow Mode and took it to ND over xmas last year. Had tons of snow and it handled extremely well. Ultimately, it's the driver. The AWD X7 doesn't need a separate snow mode, I can tell that difference with my Palisade. When I traded for the X7, I didn't even bat an eye on it not having a Snow mode.
If snow-mode is not needed for a "pro-driver," it doesn't mean that it has no value for all other drivers.
The X7 without Snow Mode handles better than a Hyundai with Snow Mode (of course, am not surprised). However, by all means that does NOT mean that the X7 would even handle better with a snow mode. I have other vehicles with Snow Mode and 100% they handle better with Snow Mode than the X7 (yeah size and weight is different) but still the X7 could get even better if it has snow-mode. Is it a must have based on how it is doing without it? Maybe no, but would it become better, YES 100% imo. Advanced vehicles with Snow mode has different characteristics than AWD or X-drive. With all respect, I do not consider the Hyundai Snow mode to be a true Snow mode anyway (the X7 without Snow-Mode is certainly still better).

To that point, the xOffroad Package (which was discontinued) had an xSnow mode..... So, with that I am sorry but you are wrong because the X7 already had an even better Snow-Mode system that takes the performance in snow condition to a higher level compared to the X7 without the xOffroad Package which does not have Snow Mode. I wish I can try the X7 with the xOffroad Package, which I believe is limited to only a few vehicles ever equipped with it before it got discontinues, but if it was there, it certainly had the xSnow mode for a reason....

Last edited by BMW5and7; 11-17-2022 at 02:28 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2022, 08:31 AM   #54
pwfd2135
Rep
Drives: 2022 - X7 \ 2012 G37xS

if you are worried about driving a SUV in the snow. I would just take it easy and go a little slower. its a heavy truck so it shouldn't be an issue. just take your time
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2022, 10:22 AM   #55
BMW5and7
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwfd2135 View Post
if you are worried about driving a SUV in the snow. I would just take it easy and go a little slower. its a heavy truck so it shouldn't be an issue. just take your time
Well, driving relatively slow is an exercise that we all should follow regardless of our driving skills. You can't beat mother nature when the vehicle slips and you have no friction or control over the vehicle at high speeds. I was just hopping the X7 has a snow-mode, but I just found that it actually has one with the off-road package which rarely exist on most X7s anyway. What I though is missing, was in fact considered by the X7 engineers already, but unfortunately only available with the off-road package.

Another feature I dislike is that the X7 does not allow you to set the height to the min or max all the time while driving, and it sets itself back to default medium height level. Sometimes I feel it helps to keep it very high when am driving through a pile of 6-10 inch snow after a storm before the city clears in-town roads which happens quite often for those who leave home too early in the morning. I wonder if the off-road package with snow-mode would allow the vehicle to stay at the maximum height the entire trip while driving in-town at around 30-45 MPH.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2022, 12:46 PM   #56
bagekko
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Lots of BMWs

Garage List
2018 M4 Vert  [0.00]
2006 Z4M Roadster  [0.00]
1995 540i  [0.00]
2008 BMW M5  [0.00]
2019 i3 Rex  [0.00]
2021 X7 40i MSport  [0.00]
Not getting the off road pkg is my only regret, have everything else but it and DA+. Does anyone know if it is temp or perm removed from new builds? I thought maybe they made it standard but don't think so. Also didn't realize when ordering the height control is only while parked, think sales told me adjustable while driving, had I known would of gotten it.

Quote:
Well, driving relatively slow is an exercise that we all should follow regardless of our driving skills. You can't beat mother nature when the vehicle slips and you have no friction or control over the vehicle at high speeds. I was just hopping the X7 has a snow-mode, but I just found that it actually has one with the off-road package which rarely exist on most X7s anyway. What I though is missing, was in fact considered by the X7 engineers already, but unfortunately only available with the off-road package.

Another feature I dislike is that the X7 does not allow you to set the height to the min or max all the time while driving, and it sets itself back to default medium height level. Sometimes I feel it helps to keep it very high when am driving through a pile of 6-10 inch snow after a storm before the city clears in-town roads which happens quite often for those who leave home too early in the morning. I wonder if the off-road package with snow-mode would allow the vehicle to stay at the maximum height the entire trip while driving in-town at around 30-45 MPH.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2022, 04:49 PM   #57
streborx
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by blutob2 View Post
Absolutely agree - I'll take a 4WD with a set of snow tires over all the high tech drive modes any day. Once you've survived a couple ND winters in a stick shift, anything beyond 3 pedals just gets in the way.
Appreciate 1
blutob2283.00
      12-01-2022, 05:18 PM   #58
Angelo_GraysonMiniBMW
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X3,2020 Land Cruiser

Quote:
Absolutely agree - I'll take a 4WD with a set of snow tires over all the high tech drive modes any day. Once you've survived a couple ND winters in a stick shift, anything beyond 3 pedals just gets in the way.
This is why I have a 200 series Land Cruiser for the bad days.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2022, 06:02 PM   #59
streborx
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelo1 View Post
This is why I have a 200 series Land Cruiser for the bad days.
There are no bad days in a Land Cruiser!
Appreciate 1
NGT25770.50
      12-01-2022, 06:41 PM   #60
Angelo_GraysonMiniBMW
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X3,2020 Land Cruiser

Quote:
There are no bad days in a Land Cruiser!
You got that right
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2022, 11:12 PM   #61
NGT2
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M550i xDrive (2020)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qsilver7 View Post
I use dedicated winter tires and I never have any issues with wheel slippage. To get the DSC light to illuminate…I have to force the situation by accelerating unnaturally for the weather conditions.

If you are in a weather conditions where 2 gear starts would be preferable…you can do that by simply moving the gear shift lever to the left and selecting 2…or you can use the paddles behind the steering wheel if you have them.

A snow mode would be redundant and totally unnecessary in my opinion. And with a knowledgeable understanding of how X-drive works along with how DSC/DCT works and knowing how to use the different transmission driving modes (manual/sport/regular).

DSC still has the original ASC (automatic stability control) function at its base level operation. ASC will reduce throttle reduction at any hint of wheel slippage…and DSC kicks in with ABS braking to a sliding wheel if engine throttle reduction isn't enough to regain traction.

If the OP is experiencing excessive wheel slippage…its probably more due to having all season tires which are inadequate for the driving situation and are failing to provide enough traction because it's either too cold or too slippery for them to provide traction.

Again, with dedicated winter tires mounted when ambient temps are consistently below 45° F…I've never had any wheel slippage as described by someone using all seasons in the same condition.

I would describe my X-Drive experience over the years along with dedicated winter tires as handling like a mountain goat…sure footed and well in control. Again, fish-tailing and wheel spin/slippage is non-exisitant. But my tires aren't being pushed beyond their limit because their rubber compound, tread, and sipes are designed for the cold/wet/dry/icy/snow road conditions of my winter driving situations.

If one hasn't done so…I recommend going to the owners manual in iDrive and pull up the embedded videos. Every one of my BMWs that has X-Drive…also has an embedded video of how the system works. The embedded videos are kind of fun to watch.

I have older versions of iDrive than those on this forum…but you still have embedded videos…you can see the ones my f06 & f15 have in the screen captures below:
That's awesome. The X7 we just got is my first Xdrive vehicle. So far the experience has been great but haven't had winter weather yet (we get cold temps but rarely snow and ice). On wet roads, even the 2wd traction control features you mentioned work really well to stop my 540i from losing its footing.

I am going to watch the videos you mentioned. Great tip.

If the X7 handles itself anything like the GX I traded for it, I will be very very impressed. I didn't expect it would when I traded, but we hardly need it so I don't really care. The GX is meant to be an off road vehicle and rides like it. Cracks me up that it's the number one choice of all the carpool moms here. They're more suited for their husbands' hunting camps.

RETIRED: 2018 540i Luxury Line (Dark Graphite/Canberra Beige)
Appreciate 0