BMW
X7 and XM
forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW X7 (G07) Forums General BMW X7 Forum 2023 X7 cascading issues and BMW refuses buyback

02-02-2023, 12:32 PM   #45
Ritu_o0o
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brigitte View Post
WOW...I didn't know about this...I thought BBB can handle any complaints regardless of the business location or whether or not they participate?! Unless they handle car manufacturers differently.

It's good to know...I should have checked if Mazda participates in my state
In fact they do!

I had few issues with (Southern California Edison) the electricity provider in Southern California regarding incorrectly billing me for more than 2 years, I called Edison and explained numerous times, some customer service rep assured me that hey will fix the issue, some declined. At the end I filed complaint in BBB, BBB said they do not affiliate Edison, but I still filed a complaint. In few weeks I got an email from Edison stating that they received inquiry from BBB and they are working on fixing my billing issues (which was fixed in next monthly bill)

So IMO it’s worth a try!
Appreciate 1
Brigitte485.50
      02-02-2023, 12:43 PM   #46
Saejin
Captain
Rep
Drives: None

Quote:
Originally Posted by agnisco View Post
It would be interesting to see the actual numbers/percentages of X7 exhibiting serious problems that ultimately require major repairs or trade assist/buyback/replacement. I mean these forums, of course, are an outlet to share good and bad experiences with the car. It gives people a good outlet to vent on how bad their car is and how extensive the problems are with their car. Not to minimize anyone’s problems, because it’s horrible that anyone has to go through these types of problems with such an expensive vehicle. I’m taking delivery in a couple weeks and I pray I don’t get one of the problem ones. But I have to believe that the vast majority of these cars coming off the line are functioning perfectly, or near perfectly, and that it’s probably not realistic to completely right off an entire model year of a vehicle and believe that the same vehicle made 6 months later is going to be vastly superior than the one made 6 months prior.

Hopefully I’m right and don’t have to eat my words when I end up with a lemon.

OP, I hope you get taken care of and are made whole, and I hope the same for the others that are having serious problems.
I agree, yet there are always blanket comments or assumptions made such as the LCI was a complete miss, BMW quality is horrible, how can BMW screw up the LCI, and so on.

Amazes me how such broad assumptions are made with such little data to base them off of.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2023, 01:07 PM   #47
Brigitte
Major
Rep
Drives: 2023 Mazda CX-9

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjabend View Post
Brigitte has 100% authority to consider and purchase whatever vehicle she likes. From her posts, it is clear she was very thorough in evaluating the X7 and other vehicles as well.

IMHO questioning or criticizing her evaluation or selection is inappropriate even if she decided to buy a Harley
Thank you Rjabend...some think that I was pretending to be in the BMW market...God only knows why. They don't have any idea how many months of research I have done...how many SUVs I eliminated. You know I started with Lincoln Aviator because I'm a Ford person. How dare I choose a Mazda over a BMW
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2023, 01:36 PM   #48
Brigitte
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ritu_o0o View Post
In fact they do!

I had few issues with (Southern California Edison) the electricity provider in Southern California regarding incorrectly billing me for more than 2 years, I called Edison and explained numerous times, some customer service rep assured me that hey will fix the issue, some declined. At the end I filed complaint in BBB, BBB said they do not affiliate Edison, but I still filed a complaint. In few weeks I got an email from Edison stating that they received inquiry from BBB and they are working on fixing my billing issues (which was fixed in next monthly bill)

So IMO it’s worth a try!
I'm a strong believer in BBB...they resolved every single issue I complained about. One time...I took my car to Brake Masters to change all 4 brakes. When I was ready to pick it up...I discovered they only changed the parking brake which I didn't authorize! They didn't do what I took my car for. They told me I must pay in order to get my car back. I paid. Then I directly filed a complaint with the BBB. The resolution was unbelievable...They agreed to refund my money + they changed all 4 brakes free of charge + they told me I can select any other Brake Masters store to do the job! I was thrilled...
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2023, 01:49 PM   #49
Brigitte
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by blutob2 View Post
Well, I had a 2021 Hyundai Palisade and it was a lemon. Was going to get another one but dealer was going to charge me a 7% markup even though the year prior I bought it at MSRP at the same dealer. I told him to go F himself and bought the X7. But, we looked at Kia, Lexus, Toyota, Audi, Lincoln, Genesis, Volvo, Jeep, and Acura. So yeah, I went from $50K to the X7. Wasn't about the money, heck we were happy with the Palisade's features.
Other than the BMW X7 and X5 45e...I looked at Lincoln Aviator...Infiniti QX60...Lexus RX 350h...Acura MDX...Cadillac XT6...Buick Enclave...Mazda CX-9 was the last one I considered...and it was it!

Last edited by Brigitte; 02-02-2023 at 03:24 PM..
Appreciate 1
blutob2283.00
      02-02-2023, 06:27 PM   #50
BMW5and7
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: X7;X5;S-Class;Navigator

Quote:
Thank you Rjabend...some think that I was pretending to be in the BMW market...God only knows why. They don't have any idea how many months of research I have done...how many SUVs I eliminated. You know I started with Lincoln Aviator because I'm a Ford person. How dare I choose a Mazda over a BMW
Agreed, 100%. Accusing a forum member that they are just “pretending” to be in the BMW market is inappropriate. It makes me feel that BMW is a Lambo or Ferrari type of brand!. Come on… it’s a BMW after-all, not that big of a deal for many people really, and I see no issue at all with someone looking at a BMW while also considering Mazda CX-9. Like I said, we as a family have done that and really drove-test the CX-9 too.

For the last 15 car purchased we’ve made, really half of them were in the 40-80K range, and other half were in the 80-132K range. And, the prices overlapped and were equally spread out over the years (up and down). We buy based on style and emotion, rather than price point. We have a maximum limit, but we never had any issues going well below that limit if there is a vehicle we feel we want to enjoy. We considered once an SUV but then bought a coupe yet at half the price during that dealer visit! Cars for many is just a toy and there is no need to have strict standards!
Appreciate 4
supdes48.00
Brigitte485.50
blutob2283.00
srisri6.00
      02-02-2023, 07:36 PM   #51
mitch65
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2023 X7

Quote:
Thank you. CX-9 has a lot of standard features across all trims which is really nice. It is easy to get in and out...that is important to me because I have a knee problem. in addition to its reliability...it's good looking
The CX9 is a nice vehicle, but you should have waited for the just announced 2024 Mazda CX90 , a huge improvement with a plug in option
Appreciate 1
Brigitte485.50
      02-02-2023, 08:49 PM   #52
Saejin
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitch65 View Post
The CX9 is a nice vehicle, but you should have waited for the just announced 2024 Mazda CX90 , a huge improvement with a plug in option
Too bad BMW5and7 wasn't on the CX-9 forum to let everyone know to wait

Just kidding. I cross-shopped the MDX against the X7 and was looking at the new Sequoia TRD Pro, Raptor w/37, Porsche Cayenne S/GTS, and even the Porsche Cayman/Boxster GTS models before settling back into the X7.

Visit to the Acura dealer was pretty interesting. We pulled up in our 2021 X7 to look at the new MDX before we ended up with an Audi SQ5...long story...lockdown/pandemic impulse trade-in.

Anyhow...the Acura rep literally asked me why I was there looking at the MDX when I clearly had the X7 which was almost 2x as much...told him we consider everything and it's not just about price/brand/prestige/whatever.

Ended up passing on the MDX due to many things we didn't like.
Appreciate 3
      02-02-2023, 10:50 PM   #53
Brigitte
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW5and7 View Post
Agreed, 100%. Accusing a forum member that they are just “pretending” to be in the BMW market is inappropriate. It makes me feel that BMW is a Lambo or Ferrari type of brand!. Come on… it’s a BMW after-all, not that big of a deal for many people really, and I see no issue at all with someone looking at a BMW while also considering Mazda CX-9. Like I said, we as a family have done that and really drove-test the CX-9 too.

For the last 15 car purchased we’ve made, really half of them were in the 40-80K range, and other half were in the 80-132K range. And, the prices overlapped and were equally spread out over the years (up and down). We buy based on style and emotion, rather than price point. We have a maximum limit, but we never had any issues going well below that limit if there is a vehicle we feel we want to enjoy. We considered once an SUV but then bought a coupe yet at half the price during that dealer visit! Cars for many is just a toy and there is no need to have strict standards!
Exactly! This will probably be my last car...as I drive an average of 3000 miles a year!

In the order of priority:
1-Reliability
2-The step-in height...how easy to get in and out
3-The length of the cushion of the driver seat...I prefer shorter ones
4-How nice the SUV looks
5-Price not to exceed $100,000...NO minimum!

The Mazda CX-9 fits the bill...it is exactly what I want!
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2023, 10:58 PM   #54
Brigitte
Major
Rep

Quote:
I actually decided not to wait as I try to avoid the first year models. They normally have too many problems.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2023, 11:14 PM   #55
BMW5and7
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: X7;X5;S-Class;Navigator

Quote:
I never realized they announced the 2024. I just read a couple articles. If they can really prove it is capable of doing 30 miles in EV mode for the PHEV, that would be awesome and in my opinion would probably be the best affordable SUV in the 40-50K USD range. Not sure about their drive assist feature which I really care about it, but if it’s as good as Toyota Safe Sense 3.0, they clearly have an advantage over the Pilot and Highlander now.

Sorry OP for hijacking the thread!
Appreciate 1
Brigitte485.50
      02-03-2023, 12:19 AM   #56
rjabend
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW X7 xDrive40i

Garage List
2024 X7  [6.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW5and7 View Post
I never realized they announced the 2024. I just read a couple articles. If they can really prove it is capable of doing 30 miles in EV mode for the PHEV, that would be awesome and in my opinion would probably be the best affordable SUV in the 40-50K USD range. Not sure about their drive assist feature which I really care about it, but if it’s as good as Toyota Safe Sense 3.0, they clearly have an advantage over the Pilot and Highlander now.

Sorry OP for hijacking the thread!
Apparently, the hybrid comes with a 4 cylinder instead of the straight six. I asked via email about their driver assist features such as capacitive steering wheel sensing via email but they don't know yet. I love that feature on the X7! They also couldn't comment on whether it could set speed from signs with offset.

"Thank you for contacting Mazda Customer Experience Center.

In creating the Mazda CX-90, we incorporated cutting-edge technology to curate an intuitive experience that amplifies your focus and helps filter out distractions. We considered how to improve your journey from every angle including an available 360° View Monitor with See-through View technology, and the placement of screens and displays. Every inch of the CX-90, is honed to support and elevate your experience. Mazda’s largest Active Driving Display features an increased area and type size, allowing for optimal visibility and functionality and providing easier access to essential information about your vehicle. This is all we have on our Mazda CX-90 right now. You can check for updates on our Mazda website, www.mazdausa.com.

If you have any questions in the future, you can reach me directly using the number and extension below."
Appreciate 2
Brigitte485.50
BMW5and71071.00
      02-03-2023, 12:39 AM   #57
Brigitte
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjabend View Post
Apparently, the hybrid comes with a 4 cylinder instead of the straight six. I asked via email about their driver assist features such as capacitive steering wheel sensing via email but they don't know yet. I love that feature on the X7! They also couldn't comment on whether it could set speed from signs with offset.

"Thank you for contacting Mazda Customer Experience Center.

In creating the Mazda CX-90, we incorporated cutting-edge technology to curate an intuitive experience that amplifies your focus and helps filter out distractions. We considered how to improve your journey from every angle including an available 360° View Monitor with See-through View technology, and the placement of screens and displays. Every inch of the CX-90, is honed to support and elevate your experience. Mazda’s largest Active Driving Display features an increased area and type size, allowing for optimal visibility and functionality and providing easier access to essential information about your vehicle. This is all we have on our Mazda CX-90 right now. You can check for updates on our Mazda website, www.mazdausa.com.

If you have any questions in the future, you can reach me directly using the number and extension below."
I debated if I should wait for the CX-90...but I was afraid as first-year models normally suffer from reliability problems. I was told that it's possible it will go on sale this Spring...but who knows.

I found this article that discussed specs:

https://www.greenwaymazda.com/mazda-cx-90-release-date/
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2023, 02:03 PM   #58
rjabend
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW X7 xDrive40i

Garage List
2024 X7  [6.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZBMerLife View Post
I don’t think anyone said she can’t buy what she wants. Apparently you and others don’t think it’s odd for a person to drive a Ford Fusion, consider a X7 but ultimately buy a Mazda. I’m gonna join the Lambo and Bentley forum today and pretend I ultimately settled on the BMW 😂😂😂. Not sure where you guys are from, but that’s called fronting in NYC. 😂😂😂
I grew up in Bergenfield
Appreciate 1
      02-03-2023, 03:26 PM   #59
Brigitte
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZBMerLife View Post
I don’t think anyone said she can’t buy what she wants. Apparently you and others don’t think it’s odd for a person to drive a Ford Fusion, consider a X7 but ultimately buy a Mazda. I’m gonna join the Lambo and Bentley forum today and pretend I ultimately settled on the BMW 😂😂😂. Not sure where you guys are from, but that’s called fronting in NYC. 😂😂😂
"Fronting"...that's insulting, totally inappropriate and baseless. I was initially considering buying a Lincoln Aviator until I read stories about buybacks. Then I decided to look into the BMW X7. I joined this forum about 8 months ago because I was seriously considering buying an X7 or even an X5 45e. I did extensive research...I went as far as selecting the color I like...posting youtube videos of the color. Then I read stories about buybacks and people being stranded on freeways...etc.

With that said...If I was a person who pretend to be rich and in the market to buy a luxury car as BMW...I would have put in my profile that I drive a Mercedes-Benz...I would not have posted that I bought a Mazda. You're not thinking it through...you carelessly post baseless silly accusations.
Appreciate 2
BMW5and71071.00
mitch57805.50
      02-03-2023, 04:33 PM   #60
braver
Rep
Drives: VW Atlas '22, want BMW x7 '23

So this is getting interesting and interesting.. I've almost impulse-bought an x7 after sliding, in my Atlas into a pile of trucks behind a jack-knifed one. With the Atlas in the shop for a month (thanks German engineering!) I felt why not get the x7 finally. (Alas the value of the 2022 Atlas plunged on its own and after the accident, not sure what to do about it.) Then I saw the highway assist coming and waited, happy that BMW5and7 was right. And now I see that the 2023 LCI is effed in general. So what makes y'all think that the 2024 will be any better? Same problems plagued Leica -- the products developed during pandemic freeze and glitch. Looks like wait and see is a solid option again?
Appreciate 1
BMW5and71071.00
      02-03-2023, 05:35 PM   #61
Ace6180G07
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 X7 M50i / 2024 X5 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by braver View Post
So this is getting interesting and interesting.. I've almost impulse-bought an x7 after sliding, in my Atlas into a pile of trucks behind a jack-knifed one. With the Atlas in the shop for a month (thanks German engineering!) I felt why not get the x7 finally. (Alas the value of the 2022 Atlas plunged on its own and after the accident, not sure what to do about it.) Then I saw the highway assist coming and waited, happy that BMW5and7 was right. And now I see that the 2023 LCI is effed in general. So what makes y'all think that the 2024 will be any better? Same problems plagued Leica -- the products developed during pandemic freeze and glitch. Looks like wait and see is a solid option again?
Effed? How? Mines trouble free and a lot of other users on here are the same. People just like to be heard especially in forums. Especially when there’s glitches. Glitches were fixed with the latest software update. If you are really into the highway assist then wait. For me I had it in my X5 and didn't use it once. So not an issue. It’s a dream car for the money. Just my opinion. Based on actual LCI ownership.
Appreciate 3
chicagox7191.00
braver1.50
Brigitte485.50
      02-03-2023, 07:04 PM   #62
Bob in IL
Major
Rep
Drives: 2024 G01 X3, 2019 G30 5 Series

Quote:
Other than the BMW X7 and X5 45e...I looked at Lincoln Aviator...Infiniti QX60...Lexus RX 350h...Acura MDX...Cadillac XT6...Buick Enclave...Mazda CX-9 was the last one I considered...and it was it!
That was a nice, and understandable, mix of SUV's. I just started shopping for something to replace one of our cars and I'm all over the board as far and as brands/models/pricing but will narrow things down eventually.
Brigitte485.50
      02-03-2023, 07:05 PM   #63
collector28
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW X7

Garage List
2020 Mercedes-Benz GLE  [0.00]
2022 Audi  [0.00]
2023 BMW X7  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace6180G07 View Post
Effed? How? Mines trouble free and a lot of other users on here are the same. People just like to be heard especially in forums. Especially when there’s glitches. Glitches were fixed with the latest software update. If you are really into the highway assist then wait. For me I had it in my X5 and didn't use it once. So not an issue. It’s a dream car for the money. Just my opinion. Based on actual LCI ownership.
Same here, bought the LCI in October and has been problem free.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2023, 08:43 PM   #64
Saejin
Captain
Rep

Going back to the OPs original post for this...hope you get things resolved. I've never dealt with buybacks, but know some here have been successful. Also, I would say trade it in, but given it's a 2023, the depreciation hit would be too much and not in your favor.

- unfixable ac issues
-- saw your other thread...seems to be a design issues as others are having the same issue...BMW trying to be smarter than us when it comes to AC control...we all are conditioned to have cold air blow on us from an AC...when it tries to be smarter than us and just keep the entire inside temp maintained at 68* without direct air blowing on us maybe it plays mind tricks on us.

In my X7 LCI, haven't experience a summer yet, but from a heater perspective I had some issues with its "auto" operation. Basically my wife wouldn't feel the air coming out of the vents was warm enough. In some cases it was blowing cool air even when we set the temp to 75 and outside temps were 20-30s. After learning more about the new system and adjusting some settings, works perfectly now and I hard have to adjust anything in the climate menu...just change the temp up or down.

- suspension failure
-- could be a bad module like BMW said...have they replaced it yet? I've seen others report this and from what I remember everything got resolved by the dealer.

- headlight failure
-- no real insight on this...again, maybe another bad module or connection issue

- inconsistent infotainment glitches and screen blackouts
-- i've had a few of these in my X7, but no screen blackouts. Just driver assistance disabled as either the front sensors were blocked with dirt or the eye tracking system couldn't see my face. Also, sometimes it hit and miss if I can change music channels using my steering wheel controls...happens about 1 out of 20 or so tries.

I do believe most of these issues can be fixed by BMW if given enough time, but also believe no car should arrive with these issues. Fortunately it doesn't seem to be a widespread issue amongst all X7s produced even if it seems so from the small percentage of owners who post on this forum.
Appreciate 1
TechCTU802.50
      02-04-2023, 04:59 PM   #65
PNWM3
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW XM

Quote:
What do you mean exactly? There is nothing confusing about it...after the stories of people having trouble with their 2023 X7...I decided to look elsewhere. "reliability" is my top priority. Owners of the 2023 Mazda CX-9 are overwhelmingly happy with it due to its reliability.

I don't appreciate the tone of your post!
You’re comparing a $100k vehicle versus a $50k vehicle aimed at vastly different markets. Both brands are about as reliable as the other. If you were looking at a GLS or a Q7 then cool. This just sounded a bit far fetched and unrealistic
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2023, 05:44 PM   #66
Brigitte
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNWM3 View Post
You’re comparing a $100k vehicle versus a $50k vehicle aimed at vastly different markets. Both brands are about as reliable as the other. If you were looking at a GLS or a Q7 then cool. This just sounded a bit far fetched and unrealistic
What seems unrealistic to you is realistic to others. Price/luxury was a non-issue to me. I looked at a variety of SUVs from $50k to a max of $100k. I eliminated the first one I looked at due to buybacks stories...that was the Lincoln Aviator. I was looking for reliability and comfort as I have a knee problem in addition to a back problem. I went for a test drive for the Cadillac XT6 which was at the top of my list (after eliminating the BMW). The seat was so uncomfortable for me due to its length. So I went to test drive a Mazda CX-9...it was very easy to get in and out and the seat was so comfortable. In addition, I browsed forums discussing that SUV...owners are overwhelmingly happy with it due to its reliability.
Appreciate 1
braver1.50