BMW
X7 and XM
forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos Canadian Grand Prix '08

06-09-2008, 12:56 PM   #45
94JZA80
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1994 BPU Supra

it also would have been a MUCH better race for me had Nico Rosberg in the Williams Toyota had he not run into the back of Hamilton at the end of pit lane, knocking his front spoiler loose. there may have been a Toyota on the podium had that not happened.
      06-09-2008, 01:06 PM   #46
Couch
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

Garage List
2007 E92 335i  [0.00]
Sorry, since I'm still a noob to F1 and don't remember names/cars.

Towards the end of the race one of the guys (i believe a vodafone machine) drove straight through a turn to overtake a position. The announcers were saying he would be penalized for that, but weren't sure how.

What was his penalty?
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2008, 01:09 PM   #47
KonigsTiger
Racying Dynamics
Rep
Drives: E92M3 RS46 Club Sport, others

Quote:
Originally Posted by Couch View Post
Sorry, since I'm still a noob to F1 and don't remember names/cars.

Towards the end of the race one of the guys (i believe a vodafone machine) drove straight through a turn to overtake a position. The announcers were saying he would be penalized for that, but weren't sure how.

What was his penalty?

Didn’t see that one, but if you are forced out by another car or for some reason he had to “cut” the corner, he would not be penalized. Massa in the Ferrari did the same to pass the McLaren and was not penalized. I think he should have
      06-09-2008, 01:12 PM   #48
Couch
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

Garage List
2007 E92 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW-M-Mexico View Post
Didn’t see that one, but if you are forced out by another car or for some reason he had to “cut” the corner, he would not be penalized. Massa in the Ferrari did the same to pass the McLaren and was not penalized. I think he should have
It appeared to be an intentional pass. He was trailing behind, and instead of even taking the corner, he drove straight through the dirt/grass.

The announcers said that he would definitely be penalized for it as it was a blatant illegal move.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2008, 01:19 PM   #49
KonigsTiger
Racying Dynamics
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Couch View Post
It appeared to be an intentional pass. He was trailing behind, and instead of even taking the corner, he drove straight through the dirt/grass.

The announcers said that he would definitely be penalized for it as it was a blatant illegal move.
Wow, I suppose (if you saw Vodafone on the car) that it must have been Heiki Kovalainen who ended up 9th. Again, I missed that one part somehow but if it is as you said, then they must have missed it. He should have been penalized.
      06-09-2008, 01:58 PM   #50
Calgary Agent
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: '11 550i

Garage List
2011 F10 550i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 94JZA80 View Post
keep in mind that you could balme the McLaren team for the incident as well - they should have been just as aware of the red light at pit exit, and did nothing to warn Hamilton about it, or he might not have gone into the back of Kimi.
Sorry, I call BS. It wasn't up to the team to remind young Hamilton (who I like btw) that they were under SC conditions - he knew that when he dove into the pits under SC. It was plain and simple a lapse in concentration. Not what you'd expect from world championship material.

At the same time, and I've already said this, Kimi pulled a similar brain-fart move 2 weeks ago in Monaco when he rear ended Sutil and took him out of the race. Maybe that was the reason Kimi merely pointed the light out to Lewis as he walked by (instead of taking a good poke at him).

Lewis Hamilton has all the makings of a future WCD. Unfortunately, he's also shown several instances (take the last few races of 2007) where if he'd driven with his brain on, he would have secured the championship. Not to mention he's now got his head has swelled several sizes with all the media attention he's gotten.
      06-09-2008, 02:14 PM   #51
94JZA80
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1994 BPU Supra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgary Agent View Post
Sorry, I call BS. It wasn't ENTIRELY up to the team to remind young Hamilton (who I like btw) that they were under SC conditions - he knew that when he dove into the pits under SC. It was plain and simple a lapse in concentration. Not what you'd expect from world championship material.
fixed

nobody's arguing that Hamilton had a momentary lapse of concentration - that much is certain. the fact remains though that, had team McLaren been paying more attention to the race than their driver Hamilton, they might have radioed him in time to prevent the accident. on the other hand, perhaps the team was well aware of the red light at the end of pit lane and simply assumed that Hamilton was also aware of it and would slow down in time...regardless, what happened happened, and we'll never know what could have been...
      06-09-2008, 02:19 PM   #52
KonigsTiger
Racying Dynamics
Rep

Quote:
Sorry, I call BS. It wasn't up to the team to remind young Hamilton (who I like btw) that they were under SC conditions - he knew that when he dove into the pits under SC. It was plain and simple a lapse in concentration. Not what you'd expect from world championship material.

At the same time, and I've already said this, Kimi pulled a similar brain-fart move 2 weeks ago in Monaco when he rear ended Sutil and took him out of the race. Maybe that was the reason Kimi merely pointed the light out to Lewis as he walked by (instead of taking a good poke at him).

Lewis Hamilton has all the makings of a future WCD. Unfortunately, he's also shown several instances (take the last few races of 2007) where if he'd driven with his brain on, he would have secured the championship. Not to mention he's now got his head has swelled several sizes with all the media attention he's gotten.
Yea, sure, I totally agree that at the end of the day it´s his fault. But you know, Kimi almost crashed as well and is why he was parallel to the other car (forgot who that was) and Hamilton screws it up and then came Toyota and also screwed it up. Not trying to make excuses, but it was an stupid accident and since there was sooo much traffic, he was watching through his rear view mirror in order not to crash with someone on the side, when he turns around, bam!! And that´s that and is why he was penalized (kimi in Monaco was not) 10 spots. I also think that is fair.
      06-09-2008, 02:24 PM   #53
Calgary Agent
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: '11 550i

Garage List
2011 F10 550i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW-M-Mexico View Post
And that´s that and is why he was penalized (kimi in Monaco was not) 10 spots. I also think that is fair.
The 10-spot penalty is completely fair. Kimi perhaps should have gotten same for Monaco but there was enough doubt to call it a "racing incident".
Hamilton will just have to hope to take P1 in France (= P11 after penalty) then get a jump on the start and show us what he's got. Maybe he can get a podium? There's lots of racing left this year my friend(s) ....
      06-09-2008, 02:37 PM   #54
KonigsTiger
Racying Dynamics
Rep

Quote:
The 10-spot penalty is completely fair. Kimi perhaps should have gotten same for Monaco but there was enough doubt to call it a "racing incident".
Hamilton will just have to hope to take P1 in France (= P11 after penalty) then get a jump on the start and show us what he's got. Maybe he can get a podium? There's lots of racing left this year my friend(s) ....
+ 10 and agree entirely! Lets see what he can do in France.
      06-10-2008, 10:28 AM   #55
montreal_bimmer
OEMconcept
Italy
Rep
Drives: BMW

Garage List
2006 325i  [10.00]
Hamilton is an excellent driver, and it does help that he is driving an excellent machine, but no one this year has shown consistency as much as Robert Kubica. Yes Hamilton is an excellent driver and future WC, but lets not take away from Kubica. for those who watched the Monaco race a couple weeks ago, Kubica was the only driver to drive a flawess race. Same with the Canadian GP this past weekend. He was loosing time to Hamilton for the first 15-20 laps, and then as the tire wear came into effect, he started gaining bit by bit... it would have been interesting to see what the result would have been if the accident in the pits would not have happened.

anyway, Heidfeld had an excellent race as well... couldnt keep up with Kubica's pace, but held his ground, and did an excellent job bringing home second place.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2008, 02:58 PM   #56
IrateSpeed6
ˇRoca encendido!
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 STi Stage II

It will most likely be a mix of Kimi, Massa, or Hamilton in the first two rows - Kubica is the wild card - I'm guessing he'll be on the first two rows but who knows where he'll be. My guess is Massa at P1, Hamilton P2(but penalized to 12), Kubica P2, Kimi P3 to start...

Oh, and gotta hand it to DC for 3rd place!