F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > 2014 320D Brand new dissapointing
proTUNING Freaks

02-03-2015, 10:02 AM   #45
2k15f30
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2015 335i M Sport

Funny, I just bought an A4, brand new in November. It was the biggest POS on the planet when it came to turbo lag, I couldn't get away from that car fast enough. I even went to the 65-70k mark in their lineup to get quarto and the 3.0 engine to get a car that felt like it was meant to be driven. The problem, the tech isn't available in Audi at that price point so I bailed on them. If they offered a package in the a4 that had the 3.0 and offerings for tech like LDW SLI etc they would have a nice car there. Not to mention that fact that Audi could have cared less that I hated that car and wanted to buy a different product of theirs. The rep wouldn't even call me back. You can't get out of their leases either. Overall the experience with Audi was a resounding "Go back to BMW"

My opinion is Audi is overpriced and under tech'ed for the money. They nave a horrible problem in their 2.0t with the turbo lag. Add CVT to that and its an accident waiting to happen. I was nearly broadsided when pulling into traffic while the engine was contemplating what to do with the input from the gas pedal. Good riddance to the Audi. Now I know why I've had 9 BMW products over the last several years. I just love them.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2015, 10:06 AM   #46
ft1330
Major
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ELNch View Post
Remember the engine is electronically restricted the first couple of thousand kilometers to ensure that the engine is broken in the way it should be.

Depending on your driving style all the torque should be available within 5000 to 9000 km.

Most people are not aware of this
Indeed, I had never heard of this. Could you please share some source on this, because I find it dubious to be honest.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2015, 10:45 AM   #47
WilliCO
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 F10 535 xDrive MSport

The suspensions on the current batch of xDrive BMWs are, simply, comically bad.

I come out here looking for "I am so disappointed with my new BMW" threads, and an xDrive non-DHP BMW is behind them almost all the time.

For people who truly value all wheel drive and performance, Audi seems to be a better choice. Maybe Porsche if the buyer has the means.

The most disappointing part is that all this is avoidable - BMW seems to have made choices to defang the xDrive cars (except the 2 and 6 series, for some reason) and force people into expensive and non lease-friendly aftermarket mods to make up the difference. And here's Audi who will sell you a quattro car with a limited slip differential. I'm not an Audi fanboy at all, I'm just pointing out the difference in philosophy.

On the engine noise - maybe an exhaust upgrade? You did test drive the car, no?
      02-03-2015, 11:15 AM   #48
kent11202
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ft1330 View Post
Indeed, I had never heard of this. Could you please share some source on this, because I find it dubious to be honest.
I was curious about this as well (posted on Jan 10) and no "official" source has been forthcoming as of today.

Going to the dealer tomorrow and if I don't forget I will ask the SA if he has ever heard of this.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2015, 11:49 AM   #49
cgpublic
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 A3 2.0T Quattro

Quattro!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillInDenver View Post
For people who truly value all wheel drive and performance, Audi seems to be a better choice.
^This. Pre-F30, BMW offered two wonderful reasons to drive a BMW 3 in place of an Audi with Quattro: The world's best naturally-aspirated engine and a vastly superior steering combo to provide a wonderful connection between road, car and driver.

Guess what? BMW no longer offers a NA engine, and thanks to their implementation of electronic steering, no longer offers a superior connection between road, car and driver.

Combined with the 2K premium BMW charges for xDrive, you really have to dig deep to find a reason to purchase a BMW if you desire all-wheel drive, e.g., I'm sure there are those who would prefer the 8-speed ZF in the BMW over the DSG in the Audi.

If you seek a RWD/manual driving experience, BMW hands down.

For myself, as much as I loved both of my E90s, BMW really needs to overcome a few hurdles for the next 3, i.e., xDrive pricing penalty and no Sport suspension option for xDrive, combined with general F3x issues, steering feel (terrible, everyone else including MB and Audi have mastered electronic steering better then BMW), re-thinking the exterior/interior (falling farther and farther behind MB and Audi; just wait until the new A4 this year) for me to consider another BMW.

Past: 2008 E90 328xi | Montego Blue | Dakota Black | Brushed Aluminum
Packages & Options: Premium | Sport | Xenon | CA | Heated Seats | iPod
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2015, 11:50 AM   #50
WilliCO
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 F10 535 xDrive MSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by ELNch View Post
Remember the engine is electronically restricted the first couple of thousand kilometers to ensure that the engine is broken in the way it should be.

Depending on your driving style all the torque should be available within 5000 to 9000 km.

Most people are not aware of this
Quote:
Originally Posted by ft1330 View Post
I believe most people aren't aware of it because it's not true. Agreed, we need a source on that assertion please.
      02-03-2015, 03:28 PM   #51
jamiem1987
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 335D LCI

Ok I tested 2 330d's today, a rwd and an xdrive. The xdrive was a joke and for me totally did not feel like a bmw, it was very bouncy matching what some guys said regarding the suspension. The rear wheel drive one was absolutely superb though, really enjoyed the drive however I still cant help but feel that the f30 just isnt a quality product, the wind noise was shocking, it seemed to be coming from the wing mirrors, though I must say the engine sounded soooo much better than the rattly old 20d. I am desperate to start liking the f30 i feel that bmw are so close to making the perfect car, it just seems to me that odd issues like interior quality and wind/road noise are spoiling it for me, after owning a c class and a4 previous i feel the bmw is let down big time with refinement. This is a shame as I spend most of my life on the motorway so this is really important to me. I am tempted to wait for the lci to see if theres any improvements on my points.

Thanks again for your help again, this forum is superb.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2015, 02:17 PM   #52
kent11202
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i

OK gang, I asked the SA about the "electronically restricted" deal. He said you will probably never find anything in writing BUT it's true for some of the M Class models.

According to him, the vehicle is "restricted" for the first 1,200 miles at which point you're essentially good to go. He did say something about you bring the car in for a few other little things as well (I think he said something about changing the differential fluid and?)

So, if you have an M Class and are curious, the best bet is to confirm all this with YOUR SA.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2015, 07:36 AM   #53
SchweiZ4
Private First Class
France
Rep
Drives: F15 X5 M50d

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamiem1987 View Post
Ok I tested 2 330d's today, a rwd and an xdrive. The xdrive was a joke and for me totally did not feel like a bmw, it was very bouncy matching what some guys said regarding the suspension. The rear wheel drive one was absolutely superb though, really enjoyed the drive however I still cant help but feel that the f30 just isnt a quality product, the wind noise was shocking, it seemed to be coming from the wing mirrors, though I must say the engine sounded soooo much better than the rattly old 20d. I am desperate to start liking the f30 i feel that bmw are so close to making the perfect car, it just seems to me that odd issues like interior quality and wind/road noise are spoiling it for me, after owning a c class and a4 previous i feel the bmw is let down big time with refinement. This is a shame as I spend most of my life on the motorway so this is really important to me. I am tempted to wait for the lci to see if theres any improvements on my points.

Thanks again for your help again, this forum is superb.
Thanks for your feedback.
I can understand some of your disappointments, especially with the 320D model.

But on my side, I am truly happy with my car and everything about it; even the interior, wind noise, and steering wheel.
(I would have loved to get more engine noise into the cabin, but I can definitely live with that)
Maybe it depends on the car you were coming from before (Z4 E89 in my case).

Maybe your expectations are too high for a 3 series.
Have you tried a 5 or 6 series?
Appreciate 0