BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW X7 (G07) Forums General BMW X7 Forum 2023 X7 brake booster malfunction

08-17-2023, 07:15 PM   #67
FlyEagle1
Private
Rep
Drives: 2024 Alpina XB7 Green

@CF_F80cuhhh
Sir, I purchased a 2024 XB7 with a production date 6/6/23 and manufacture date7/23. Departed SC on 7/25/23. Is there any way to determine if this build had updated parts to prevent the brake booster issue? Thanks for the information in your post.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2023, 07:59 AM   #68
SMKS
Private
Rep
Drives: Bmw x7 m60i

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyEagle1 View Post
@CF_F80cuhhh
Sir, I purchased a 2024 XB7 with a production date 6/6/23 and manufacture date7/23. Departed SC on 7/25/23. Is there any way to determine if this build had updated parts to prevent the brake booster issue? Thanks for the information in your post.
From what I heard and see. The models affected with the brake boosters are the ones with highway assistance and all models 2023 and 2024. The new ones coming out of the factory from 8/1 of 2023 are the new brake boosters. Keep in mind the faulty brake booster usually goes bad before 2k miles range. If you exceed that or don't have highway assistance you should be ok.

Hope that helps.

Ps if yours goes bad get ready for a down time of 5 to 7 weeks. Being they are using most brake boosters for new line in SC and only allowing 2 brake boosters per dealer . Also keep in mind this part is coming from Germany the shipping alone is 2 weeks. 1 month ago the avg vehicles affected us wide were 100 not sure about world wide now its over 2000 that's usa alone.

Hope this helps. Also i8 update is out with i8.5

Gl
Appreciate 2
alic9613.50
      08-18-2023, 08:05 AM   #69
SMKS
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by trichsmith67 View Post
Personally, I don’t really care about how/why my 2023 X7 had an issue. Why failure after 1000 miles vs 8,000 miles? Does not make any sense. To purchase a vehicle and have it be in service for 9 weeks is a bunch of BS. After dealing with BMW Customer relations for over 3 months, they don’t give a shit.
File for repurchase. Down time compensation is also good .

But purchase buy back you get your money back.

Is it worth it? Rates going up.

Can you get a better deal?

So much to consider.
But you definitely 100% qualify for a repurchase AKA lemon law in which states are 30 in shop or in service for same repair 4 times. In your case its down time.

Gl
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2023, 08:08 AM   #70
SMKS
Private
Rep

Quote:
@CF_F80cuhhh
All models meaning x7 not all bmw models. I didn't post that.

All x7 models regular All 6 cylinder and all 8 cylinders.

X7 and x7 m60i.
Appreciate 1
alic9613.50
      08-18-2023, 08:52 AM   #71
SMKS
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CF_F80cuhhh View Post
Okay let me help give everyone the actual info on this issue as I am an Employee for BMW and my 2023 X7 is down with the same issue (parts on backorder)

BMWs are created with a very large ECU (computer) that have hundreds and hundreds of electronic codes for the parts being used on the vehicle in order for those parts to operate when in use. They call this a service pack. For every code there's a part associated to it. When these vehicles come off the truck only 25% of the components in the vehicle work becuase the technician at the dealer is responsible for downloading the codes into the ECU for the rest of the car to operate. Kind of like a brand new desktop computer when you're installing software. For example: The Steering rack component that is responsible for the steering of the car has an electronic code that is downloaded into the computer in order for that steering rack to fully operate. If the code fails then you can't steer the car...simple.

This particular issue everyone is dealing with here is a brake boost malfunction. Essentially the vehicle is not reading that there is a brake pedal being applied, so you can't brake, change gears, or in a lot of cases even start the car because that electronic coding for the brake booster has malfunctioned, convincing the vehicle that there is no brake being engaged. This is affecting an undetermined amount of vehicles from the first wave of production For the X5, X6, and X7. Essentially, if you got your X5, X6, or X7 of any trim level in it's first year production of the LCI to get iDrive 8.0 then you possibly are affected. This is because those cars are on Service pack 23 and idrive 8 components using service pack 22 parts because those parts have been introduced and developed in their launch of the G-Chassis in 2019 Model years. The software or codes, if you will, stop recognizing those older parts being used on the car. This issue is solved with an updated part which are on all of 24MY cars already. This is why there's a back-order on the brake boosters if you're experiencing this issue. They have to manufacture the part in Germany and ship it to the US, made-to-order.

I have more info on this if anyone has any questions.

To conclude there is nothing mechanically wrong with your X7...it's an electronic malfunction of the code for the brake booster. This was due to shortage of parts during Covid as manufacturers continue to update their cars technology without upgrading the parts because of shortage of materials across the world. It trickles down. The more tech your new vehicle has these days, the more issues like these that will happen. So always best to get that 2nd year production vehicle after anything software related as been updated. (also fixes the issue) All 2024 X7s are now built with updated iDrive 8.5 with updated parts (no brake boost issues on these cars)

Let me get this straight. There is nothing wrong with the brake booster? Is what you saying? It's a not a mechanical default? It's electrical electronic default yet they have to change out the entire brake booster? I am little confused with your post.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2023, 08:58 AM   #72
FlyEagle1
Private
Rep

@Bloodtone9
Thanks-just hit 1,806miles. I do have highway assist. I appreciate your posting the update from your sources.
Appreciate 1
alic9613.50
      08-18-2023, 05:18 PM   #73
BVB09
Private
Rep
Drives: 2020 750i 2017 X5 2015 S5 conv

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloodtone9 View Post
Let me get this straight. There is nothing wrong with the brake booster? Is what you saying? It's a not a mechanical default? It's electrical electronic default yet they have to change out the entire brake booster? I am little confused with your post.
I read it as well and was confused; further, I have a '24 that was build in April and it had the malfunction though it came with I Drive 8 vs 8.5. It took close to 5 weeks but had it fixed and no issue since then (about 1,000 miles of mixed driving).
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2023, 05:28 PM   #74
dimapb
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW 760i; 2022 BMW X7

Garage List
2023 BMW 760  [0.00]
2022 BMW X7  [0.00]
Quote:
File for repurchase. Down time compensation is also good .

But purchase buy back you get your money back.

Is it worth it? Rates going up.

Can you get a better deal?

So much to consider.
But you definitely 100% qualify for a repurchase AKA lemon law in which states are 30 in shop or in service for same repair 4 times. In your case its down time.

Gl
You don’t necessarily need to do a buy back. You can ask for a trade assist and they will simply swap your car with the same terms. You may have to pay the difference if the MSRP of the new one is higher than your existing vehicle.
I just went through this process with my 760. I had a bad strut and my car was at the dealer for 4 weeks due to part not available. I called bmw na and asked for a trade assist. Had a new car in 3 days. My new 760 was $8k higher than my original car, but bmw waived all fees and I walked away with a brand new car and my existing terms and payment.
      08-18-2023, 06:56 PM   #75
SMKS
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dimapb View Post
You don’t necessarily need to do a buy back. You can ask for a trade assist and they will simply swap your car with the same terms. You may have to pay the difference if the MSRP of the new one is higher than your existing vehicle.
I just went through this process with my 760. I had a bad strut and my car was at the dealer for 4 weeks due to part not available. I called bmw na and asked for a trade assist. Had a new car in 3 days. My new 760 was $8k higher than my original car, but bmw waived all fees and I walked away with a brand new car and my existing terms and payment.
Trade assist is good if you have older car.

Trade assist 2024 for 2024 with 500 miles?

Plus if people get out totally they can explore other brands with this sour taste left with this brake booster. Brand new with issues like this just makes me want to look at other brands.

I really appreciate your message.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2023, 07:40 PM   #76
chicagox7
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 Q7, 07 RDX, 23 X7 40i-soon

Quote:
From what I heard and see. The models affected with the brake boosters are the ones with highway assistance and all models 2023 and 2024. The new ones coming out of the factory from 8/1 of 2023 are the new brake boosters. Keep in mind the faulty brake booster usually goes bad before 2k miles range. If you exceed that or don't have highway assistance you should be ok.
Thanks for the post. Curious where you got the 2k mile estimate from. Also curious if others on this board have exceeded 2k miles. I have a ‘23 with 3,700 miles and highway assist and have been nervous about this. Better understanding teh 2k data point will do a bit to ease my mind. Appreciate ths insight.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2023, 07:47 PM   #77
dimapb
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW 760i; 2022 BMW X7

Garage List
2023 BMW 760  [0.00]
2022 BMW X7  [0.00]
Quote:
Trade assist is good if you have older car.

Trade assist 2024 for 2024 with 500 miles?

Plus if people get out totally they can explore other brands with this sour taste left with this brake booster. Brand new with issues like this just makes me want to look at other brands.

I really appreciate your message.
Agree. With the buy back you definitely have more options. Btw, my old car was a 2023 760 with 5k miles on it. Trade assist worked for me because I wanted to stay in the same car. However, I did think about switching to i7 instead of 760, which was also offered to me, but I’m just not ready for EV yet.
      08-19-2023, 05:21 AM   #78
FlyEagle1
Private
Rep

For those who have a 2024 X7, at what mileage did your brake booster fail? Did you have prior error message or symptoms before failure?

Last edited by FlyEagle1; 08-19-2023 at 07:47 AM..
Appreciate 1
      08-19-2023, 08:27 AM   #79
LeKayz
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW X7

Garage List
Quote:
For those who have a 2024 X7, at what mileage did your brake booster fail? Did you have prior error message or symptoms before failure?
Around 600 miles. No symptoms or error message before fail. We babied it when we broke it in. M60i prod date April.
Appreciate 1
      08-19-2023, 11:49 PM   #80
alic96
Rep
Drives: BMW 320i

Quote:
Originally Posted by CF_F80cuhhh View Post
Okay let me help give everyone the actual info on this issue as I am an Employee for BMW and my 2023 X7 is down with the same issue (parts on backorder)

BMWs are created with a very large ECU (computer) that have hundreds and hundreds of electronic codes for the parts being used on the vehicle in order for those parts to operate when in use. They call this a service pack. For every code there's a part associated to it. When these vehicles come off the truck only 25% of the components in the vehicle work becuase the technician at the dealer is responsible for downloading the codes into the ECU for the rest of the car to operate. Kind of like a brand new desktop computer when you're installing software. For example: The Steering rack component that is responsible for the steering of the car has an electronic code that is downloaded into the computer in order for that steering rack to fully operate. If the code fails then you can't steer the car...simple.

This particular issue everyone is dealing with here is a brake boost malfunction. Essentially the vehicle is not reading that there is a brake pedal being applied, so you can't brake, change gears, or in a lot of cases even start the car because that electronic coding for the brake booster has malfunctioned, convincing the vehicle that there is no brake being engaged. This is affecting an undetermined amount of vehicles from the first wave of production For the X5, X6, and X7. Essentially, if you got your X5, X6, or X7 of any trim level in it's first year production of the LCI to get iDrive 8.0 then you [...]
This is probably the most helpful post I’ve ever come across in this board. Seriously, thanks for breaking that down. It makes much more sense now as to why these issues are being reported.

I was starting to get a bit concerned about the mechanical integrity of the 24’s but it really just comes down to the tech at the end of the day.
Appreciate 1
      08-22-2023, 07:55 AM   #81
SMKS
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by alic96 View Post
This is probably the most helpful post I’ve ever come across in this board. Seriously, thanks for breaking that down. It makes much more sense now as to why these issues are being reported.

I was starting to get a bit concerned about the mechanical integrity of the 24’s but it really just comes down to the tech at the end of the day.
Well yes and no. The brake booster has to be changed. It's not like an upgrade or software issue. The actual brake booster is default and the wait time for this is around 5 to 7 weeks with a shipping time from Germany of 2 weeks alone. The brake booster is has a fault computer or mechanical they rushed the production so they would sell cars not they only allowing 2 brake boosters per dealer nationwide. This is going to hurt BMW at the long run. Many vehicles were stop production to get the new part . Just because the car does not recognize the brake being pressed and not start that the electrical part but a faulty brake booster not working is a mechanical issue.
Appreciate 2
      08-31-2023, 07:47 PM   #82
losBMW
Registered
Rep

Does anyone know the part # for the brake boost DSC module that is replacing the defective one? I would appreciate any input anyone has. We received our 2023 BMW X7 back from the dealership after 3+ weeks. The part # listed on the service documentation 34-50-5-A8B-118 BRAKE BOOSTER:343022. Doing a search quick search online looks like it is readily available. Which makes me wonder if they installed the new updated module.
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2023, 11:43 AM   #83
Jpparker07
Registered
Rep

Hello guys. I posted on another forum about this, but I have a 2024 x7 purchased in June and I had the same "brake booster" failure issue. However, after getting a new brake booster installed, I picked up my car yesterday and after 8 miles got a "low brake fluid" warning. I drive it back to the dealership and on the highway back I had a full brake failure and the car popped up with a STOP NOW warning. The brakes had gone completely stiff and I had to cruise to a stop while slamming as hard as I could on the brakes. The dealership seems to be taking it very seriously, but it seems that the brake booster may not be the only thing leading to these failures. Not sure I want to be the guinea pig while they figure this out. The X7 may just not be for us.
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2023, 01:30 PM   #84
Orient330iNYC
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 X7 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jpparker07 View Post
Hello guys. I posted on another forum about this, but I have a 2024 x7 purchased in June and I had the same "brake booster" failure issue. However, after getting a new brake booster installed, I picked up my car yesterday and after 8 miles got a "low brake fluid" warning. I drive it back to the dealership and on the highway back I had a full brake failure and the car popped up with a STOP NOW warning. The brakes had gone completely stiff and I had to cruise to a stop while slamming as hard as I could on the brakes. The dealership seems to be taking it very seriously, but it seems that the brake booster may not be the only thing leading to these failures. Not sure I want to be the guinea pig while they figure this out. The X7 may just not be for us.
it sounds like the dealer messed up and didn't fill/bleed the system properly.
Past: 2019 G01 M40i ZDA/2VF/ZPP/ZPX/688/3AC
Appreciate 1
LeKayz85.50
      09-01-2023, 03:59 PM   #85
SMKS
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jpparker07 View Post
Fluid leakage is typical for brake booster failure. Electronic brake boosters housed with the master cylinder may also develop leaks that affect their performance. Compromised engine function can occur with a vacuum leak when there is a hole in the diaphragm or the check valve that brings air into the system.

Or the service department didn't bleed the brakes properly.
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2023, 04:36 PM   #86
SMKS
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by losBMW View Post
Does anyone know the part # for the brake boost DSC module that is replacing the defective one? I would appreciate any input anyone has. We received our 2023 BMW X7 back from the dealership after 3+ weeks. The part # listed on the service documentation 34-50-5-A8B-118 BRAKE BOOSTER:343022. Doing a search quick search online looks like it is readily available. Which makes me wonder if they installed the new updated module.
That's actually a good question.

So from your post I am calling the dealer up right now to see what part number was changed.
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2023, 06:00 PM   #87
SMKS
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by losBMW View Post
I haven't picked up the car yet but I just got an email and it states these

3451601 replacing hydraulic unit
105 WAB

1-34-50-5-a8b -118 brake booster 343022

1-34-51-6-893 -390 seal brake booster 348520

2-81-22-0-142-156 brake fluid 832560

2-7-14-6-890-655 p1800305biking collar nut

And then is on another page

Regarding i8.5 recall
B652023 recall operating system
Cause campaign 84061

There's more about the i8.5 but to much to type

Hope all this helps

I forgot there something about a faulty code

Something like program/encode control units include letting faulty memory 105 WAB

Last edited by SMKS; 09-01-2023 at 06:07 PM..
Appreciate 1
abcsoup197.50
      09-09-2023, 09:55 PM   #88
mazenakos
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW X7 M60i

Garage List
Had the same happen to my 2023 X7 M60i today (8k miles, took delivery 11/22). I was coming to a stop at a red light and it was initially braking fine then heard a clicking sound followed by the brake pedal becoming too stiff. Luckily no one was in front of me but I hardly got it to stop in the middle of the intersection. Pissed so many drivers off whose light turned green and I could only recover by turning the car off then on again. Took a picture of the fault and the message and will contact the dealer on Monday. Too sad to read this is an issue for many X7 owners.
Appreciate 1
abcsoup197.50