Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
Technical Topics B58 6-Cylinder Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications Oil Pump issues - 2020 M340

05-03-2023, 05:54 PM   #67
b58.fazil
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M340i xDrive Alpine W

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacobM340i View Post
Bmw did an entire engineering analysis of the oil pump failure on the B58 TU and found the reason of it failing was not because it was plastic, but because the engine spun backwards during certain start scenarios like not pushing all the way on the brake pedal or hitting the start stop button twice quickly when starting. They found it was a problem in the DME tuning and performed a recall to reflash the dme to correct the parameters.
Also,

If the oil pump has nothing to do with it and it’s a software problem.

Why did BMW changed MY21 models oil pump from plastic to metal. Seems unnecessary if that isn’t an issue.
Appreciate 2
      05-03-2023, 07:51 PM   #68
CrownRoyal79
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 435i

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjun_3421 View Post
Just got my oil pump replaced.

2020/No mods/35k miles.

I noticed that the oil measurement didn't complete when I was around 25k miles but I overlooked it assuming that it could be a software issue!

Took it to the dealer as soon as I saw this thread.

Attaching the tech notes if someone is interested to understand how it was diagnosed.
“Oil pressure fluctuating” - that sounds bad. I wonder how much this would cost out of warranty.

I do have a strange noise that I’m trying to figure out: Whirring sound from engine
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2023, 08:02 PM   #69
b58.fazil
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownRoyal79 View Post
“Oil pressure fluctuating” - that sounds bad. I wonder how much this would cost out of warranty.

I do have a strange noise that I’m trying to figure out: Whirring sound from engine
Dealer gave me a quote $5200 if i did the oil pump with them out of warranty. He said they would charge bmw if it was warranty $7k. He said bmw tops top dollar 😂

Guess we know how dealers make most their money now lol
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2023, 08:16 PM   #70
seccsc
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: G20 M340xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by b58.fazil View Post
The rear diff leak is normal. You just have to replace the cap which is very inexpensive.

I haven’t experienced any of these problems aside from the oil pump, and diff leak. The 2022 and 2023 m340i’s seem to have no problems whatsoever. Seems like bmw have learned and taken care of everything they need to.
Hello,

This is not normal and is a venting isssue. The vent has to be modified by the BMW dealer. There are many threads detailing this issue.
I had my pumpkin replaced and the second pumpkin had to be modified by the dealer.

Cheers!
      05-03-2023, 10:38 PM   #71
JacobM340i
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i rwd

Garage List
2020 BMW M340i  [0.00]
  [0.00]
Quote:
Also,

If the oil pump has nothing to do with it and it’s a software problem.

Why did BMW changed MY21 models oil pump from plastic to metal. Seems unnecessary if that isn’t an issue.
It might be metal but there is still not actual proof that I’ve seen that it is metal beside people saying that it is and that the part number being different. Fact is that gen 1 b58 and n55 had plastic oil pumps and had no catastrophic problems beside the oil measure failing at 20% when the engine was hot.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2023, 10:49 PM   #72
JacobM340i
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW M340i  [0.00]
  [0.00]
Sure change the pump under warranty if you can’t measure or if your worried about it failing completely, but I don’t think we should be causing mass panic over this like s55 crank hub. It’s very expensive to change outside of warranty and i haven’t heard of any complete catastrophic failures of the oil pump in cars that have been confirmed to have the oil/vacuum pump recall. Yes the measurement stopping at 20ish% is an undeniable issue that is only fixed via replacement of oil pump, but has proven in the past with the N55 to not cause devastating engine failure. Just an annoyance and most people can still measure if they let the engine cool slightly. If someone gets on here and says “I had the recall for oil/vacuum pump and my car recently experienced an engine failure because of low oil pressure” then I would change my mind and probably pay to replace my oil pump or do it myself hahahaha. But yes if your under warranty might as well go ahead and have it replaced.

https://youtu.be/ghzDzJ7HcK4
https://www.tiktok.com/@fcpeuro/vide...79147953212718
Appreciate 1
      05-04-2023, 06:25 PM   #73
JacobM340i
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW M340i  [0.00]
  [0.00]
Fwiw I contacted the biggest bmw/supra tuning/Indy shop in my state and asked them about it and they acted like I sounded crazy, they never heard of this issue(not saying it never happens). They are currently building a 2020 8 second supra(with the same plastic oil pump) and have built plenty others and work on b58s daily and have never heard about this or seen it. They have seen failures of the b58 but mostly cylinder wash due to people pushing the engines too hard tuned and ringland failure. They said they’re excellent engines fwiw.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2023, 12:14 PM   #74
b58.fazil
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Ask him when he experienced the oil pump failures? Bmw supposedly recalled at the beginning of 2022, their engineering data showed the reason for the failures was because of the engine spinning backwards during an unusual start up procedure. They re-flash the DME software and it’s supposedly fixed it, I have not heard of any failures of cars that have been recalled since then. And if they were recent did they have the recall done in the first place? N54 and n55 and the pre TU b58 all have plastic oil pumps and generally had no catastrophic failures.
This is MarinTuned response to the recall.
Attached Images

Appreciate 3
      05-05-2023, 01:55 PM   #75
JacobM340i
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW M340i  [0.00]
  [0.00]
Quote:
This is MarinTuned response to the recall.
“One got the light the moment the recall was done”? Like as they were loading it?
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2023, 01:58 PM   #76
b58.fazil
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
“One got the light the moment the recall was done”? Like as they were loading it?
I think he meant like after it. Dealer said kick rocks because it was tuned.
Appreciate 1
      05-05-2023, 02:42 PM   #77
JacobM340i
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW M340i  [0.00]
  [0.00]
[QUOTE="b58.fazil;30103285"]I think he meant like after it. Dealer said kick rocks because it was tuned.

One thing I noticed is when going back through the old screenshots that u posted about the oil pump problems he has seen, I noticed that the most recent car he said failed which I assume is the one ur talking about with the dealer said kick rocks analogy,
“The one that recently went out conservative stock car. Got rod knock at 38k miles. Proper oil every 3k miles. Low oil pressure eventually came on. Dealer said kick rocks.”

It kinda sounds like it possibly spun a rod and then got the low oil pressure light, if the oil pump failed wouldn’t you get the low oil pressure light first then the engine would start knocking?

I don’t want everyone to think I’m being super hyper critical of everything someone says because i know it’s hard to tell that over the Internet. I’m just trying to take everything with a grain of salt and make a logical decision if I should spend 3-4k getting it replaced or deal with the headache of replacing it myself after working on aircraft every single day hahaha.
I can replace the pump myself but like the saying goes “a handyman’s house is always in the worst shape” last thing I wanna do is work on planes at work then come home to fix my own car haha.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2023, 02:58 PM   #78
b58.fazil
Private First Class
Rep

[QUOTE=JacobM340i;30103446]
Quote:
I think he meant like after it. Dealer said kick rocks because it was tuned.

One thing I noticed is when going back through the old screenshots that u posted about the oil pump problems he has seen, I noticed that the most recent car he said failed which I assume is the one ur talking about with the dealer said kick rocks analogy,
“The one that recently went out conservative stock car. Got rod knock at 38k miles. Proper oil every 3k miles. Low oil pressure eventually came on. Dealer said kick rocks.”

It kinda sounds like it possibly spun a rod and then got the low oil pressure light, if the oil pump failed wouldn’t you get the low oil pressure light first then the engine would start knocking?

I don’t want everyone to think I’m being super hyper critical of everything someone says because i know it’s hard to tell that over the Internet. I’m just trying to take everything with a grain of salt and make a logical decision if I should spend 3-4k getting it replaced or deal with the headache of replacing it myself after working on aircraft every single day hahaha.
I can replace the pump myself but like the saying goes “a handyman’s house is always in the worst shape” last thing I wanna do is work on planes at work then come home to fix my own car haha.
I see what you’re saying and It could’ve been a spun rod or oil pump. We won’t know until we dive deeper into this

Currently got a quote for the labor $1200 and then I’m getting the new oil pump for around $550. It’ll end up costing me maybe 3 days and just shy of $1800. At the end of the day I’m gonna call it preventative maintenance and save myself the worry of having a blown motor.

I applaud you for informing us deeper than any other group. I wouldn’t have known about the recall and it’s main issue.

At the moment I’m at 52k miles
Appreciate 2
EXE462104.50
      05-05-2023, 03:46 PM   #79
JacobM340i
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW M340i  [0.00]
  [0.00]
Quote:
I see what you’re saying and It could’ve been a spun rod or oil pump. We won’t know until we dive deeper into this

Currently got a quote for the labor $1200 and then I’m getting the new oil pump for around $550. It’ll end up costing me maybe 3 days and just shy of $1800. At the end of the day I’m gonna call it preventative maintenance and save myself the worry of having a blown motor.

I applaud you for informing us deeper than any other group. I wouldn’t have known about the recall and it’s main issue.

At the moment I’m at 52k miles
That’s not bad at all, hell for that price I might do it too, might as well because my car needs motor mounts bad anyway.
Indy shop or dealer?
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2023, 04:47 PM   #80
b58.fazil
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
That’s not bad at all, hell for that price I might do it too, might as well because my car needs motor mounts bad anyway.
Indy shop or dealer?
Definitely good deal. I’ve seen other shops charge like $3k.

I’m working with an indy shop. I’m always going to them for work on my car. They specialize in B58s primarily here in Chicago.

I would shop around and see other shops who are knowledgeable about this and see maybe if someone would tackle this project for a little discount.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2023, 06:08 PM   #81
m340ninja
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M340i

Just got my car back from dropping it off for maintenance. SA mentioned that they couldn't check the oil level but immediately mentioned that the fix is an oil pump replacement.

After speaking with them more, they told me that they didn't find anything else wrong with the car. Everything else is looking healthy but of course I'd rather have the work done instead of waiting for the worst situation. I'm already out of warranty (54k miles) so expected to pay out of pocket.

SA told me he would work on getting best pricing for parts/labor and then send me the quote. Someone above him said there isn't an immediate need to change it out which I thought was interesting. Will report back once I have some numbers.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2023, 06:11 PM   #82
b58.fazil
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by m340ninja View Post
Just got my car back from dropping it off for maintenance. SA mentioned that they couldn't check the oil level but immediately mentioned that the fix is an oil pump replacement.

After speaking with them more, they told me that they didn't find anything else wrong with the car. Everything else is looking healthy but of course I'd rather have the work done instead of waiting for the worst situation. I'm already out of warranty (54k miles) so expected to pay out of pocket.

SA told me he would work on getting best pricing for parts/labor and then send me the quote. Someone above him said there isn't an immediate need to change it out which I thought was interesting. Will report back once I have some numbers.
Numbers will be pretty high. If you’re going to replace oil pump I would look for an independent shop to do the work.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2023, 02:50 PM   #83
Giggler
Banned
Rep
Drives: 20' M340i, 24' X5 40i

I just got my car back from the being serviced. They first attempted to solve the problem by replacing the oil pressure control valve, and when that didn't work, they replaced the oil pump. The parts had to be mailed in which meant I was without a car for 10 days total. That was a major headache... and something I learned is that if you don't have a maintenance contract with your dealership and you own the car outright, you're not getting a loaner car.

Strangely enough (or maybe not), driving away from the dealership, I immediately noticed improved throttle response and more surging power in the upper rev range... so this oil pump failure had no doubt negatively impacted the performance of the car. But now I wonder for how long the oil pump was dysfunctional for me to be so used to degraded performance that it's now noticeably better.

I would urge all owners in the effected year to look into this, and I'm very surprised a recall has not been announced for this. In a modern engine with proper maintenance, you would expect an oil pump to be a lifetime component.
Appreciate 3
EXE462104.50
MAKH 588.50
      05-12-2023, 03:07 PM   #84
JacobM340i
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW M340i  [0.00]
  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by m340ninja View Post

Any update on a good will warranty?
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2023, 10:51 PM   #85
m340ninja
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M340i

Quote:
Any update on a good will warranty?
Nope, no numbers yet. I’ll reach back out to them tomorrow.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2023, 08:56 PM   #86
tturedraider
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i M Sport

Garage List
Since I became aware of this issue I’ve been trying to remember to do a measurement every time I park and I have been doing so well with my measurements, but I got the dreaded failure today. I’ll be emailing my SA. My driver side rear door doesn’t always unlock the doors when I grab the handle, so I’ll be having that checked, too.
Attached Images

member #388003 - Use me as a referral
& you could win a one day ///M Driving School!!

06-14-2023, 06:12 PM   #87
J_C
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i RWD

Hi folks,

I have a 2020 M340i with 44k miles, I have an oil pump issue that's unable to read the oil level as some of you here have had.

So, I dropped off my car at the dealership 2 weeks ago to replace the pump, but my service advisor said that the same symptom is still occurring, even though they replaced it with a newer pump. (Part # 11419895359)

They've been diagnosing my car for a week and still can't figure out why it's not reading the oil level.

Has anybody had the same issue or heard about a case like mine?

Any clue is appreciated.

I'm writing below what the service mechanic claimed to have done on my car.

1) Replacing the oil pressure valve - didn't work
2) Replacing the oil pump with newer parts - didn't work
3) BMW NA recommended resetting the battery (I'm not sure what is this) - didn't work
4) BMW NA recommended resetting the computer - didn't work
5) BMW NA recommended checking the wiring from the engine control. They are working on it, but I'm skeptical it's going to resolve the issue.
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2023, 06:27 PM   #88
TheJungatron
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i RWD- USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_C View Post
Hi folks,

I have a 2020 M340i with 44k miles, I have an oil pump issue that's unable to read the oil level as some of you here have had.

So, I dropped off my car at the dealership 2 weeks ago to replace the pump, but my service advisor said that the same symptom is still occurring, even though they replaced it with a newer pump. (Part # 11419895359)

They've been diagnosing my car for a week and still can't figure out why it's not reading the oil level.

Has anybody had the same issue or heard about a case like mine?

Any clue is appreciated.

I'm writing below what the service mechanic claimed to have done on my car.

1) Replacing the oil pressure valve - didn't work
2) Replacing the oil pump with newer parts - didn't work
3) BMW NA recommended resetting the battery (I'm not sure what is this) - didn't work
4) BMW NA recommended resetting the computer - didn't work
5) BMW NA recommended checking the wiring from the engine control. They are working on it, but I'm skeptical it's going to resolve the issue.
Have them replace the oil level sensor. its quick and its outside the pan.

I'm dreading this for my car, I check it every time I drive
(Retired - 1987 325i Vert)
Appreciate 0