M5POST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > M5 versus...

11-29-2014, 05:09 PM   #111
Bimmer6
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 458SPY, GT3RS on the way

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdList View Post
Here is an honest look at it Vic. I had 2 2015 allocations. I canceled one and while I was going in to finalize the 2nd (which I did do) for April delivery, I bought a 2014 buy back that was on the floor. I don't give two shits about the POTENTIAL small difference in resale due to branded title. These are very different than your average cars and the buy back was for a specific reason that GT3 buyers are familiar with. They even come with a certification of engine replacement date signed by Porsche. I don't buy these as investments. I want to enjoy it now. And I could not be happier that I did. In fact, I am not too sure that I will go through with my 2015 order. This car is utterly perfect. I also have an extra year warranty. No difference at all in a 2014 and 2015 so I was happy to pay MSRP and figured that it is worth every penny for the "now" enjoyment that I am getting out of the car. If anyone truly thinks that I will have a hard time selling this ridiculously amazing car when allocations are impossible to get then I would say that they are fooling themselves. I already had one guy freaking out when he saw that I got it because his friend was literally a day away from going to the dealer to scoop it up himself. Anyone wanting one of these in the next few months will not be able to be choosy. Pretty sure a non-tracked example with these options will be very attractive to anyone wanting the car for the same use as me. All speculation but I can pretty safely say that any loss, if there is any at all, will be minimal and in my book definitely well worth it.

Like I said, resale worries seem kinda silly for people like us. And frankly, I made my arrangement with the dealer such that if the demand for these goes up once allocations are totally GONE here shortly, then I can sell or trade mine and take my 2015 or just keep my 2014. Mine is so heavily optioned that I truly love it. I prob could have spent a tiny bit less if it weren't but it is such a special example. PCCB, CF everywhere (including illuminated sills) and EXACTLY everything else I would have ordered. In fact, my 2015 build is the EXACT car, with the exception of having carbon bucket seats, and frankly, I don't know if I want them. In the rare case I do track it it will be a very limited thing, and the 18-way seats as you know give a ton of support. For my use, the 18-way are prob. better. My MAC will be a depreciating car, somewhat preserved by the exceptional deal that was made for me on my first 650s and also by the extra concessions made by McLaren with the much higher MSRP replacement car. Honestly, nothing exotic is holding well except the Huracan and that won't last. Even the 458 Spider has taken a hit recently and now the new chief over there has made clear his intent to up production. So, who cares. We have both bought cars to ENJOY. Get the one you want based upon when and why you want it. The 2015 will sell for more on resale purely due to being a model year newer. Will it be meaningful or offset the enjoyment missed in waiting? Up to you. Personally, as I said, I don't care so much about the small difference. The only reason I would buy my 2015 will be if I love the buckets or if I can get enough for my 2014 that it makes it silly not to. Because if costs are offset, then I got the now enjoyment and a newer car. Thats the only way I give a darn about 2014 vs. 2015.

I think anyone laboring too much over resale on these kind of cars should invest their money elsewhere. The fact is that these are limited production, very unique, fun cars. It's the experience that matters most.

So my short version of this is that if I was getting a 2015 within the next few weeks, I would wait. Because that only makes sense. Only for such a short wait. Waiting for months, I grab a 2014 and never look back. You may buy cars for different reasons than me. I suspect not but I don't know. For me, I just want the immediate thrill. Additionally, as I hesitate to say this because I know I tend to say it about all of my cars and then I see something that I can't resist and I trade them shortly after, I very well may keep this car long term. Not as my only car. As my DD while I enjoy my MAC and whatever is next less frequently. It is such a contrast to everything else that it makes the choice of what to drive every day even more enjoyable. So with that resale becomes even less significant.

Still, I find it comical that people make comments about resale on these cars, engine replacement or branded title or not, as they will make the resale percentages on pretty much everything else seem very silly. It's like dating a supermodel and wishing she had DD vs D cups. She's gonna cost you a little bit for the ride but you're gonna smile ear to ear when you first get her AND when you get rid of her. I'll spend more to have her sooner than later. Especially when my buddies already have theirs-lol!

And since when did you care what anyone else thought?-lol You know all of this already. Get what you want! I suspect you are looking for a nudge to say buying the 2014 is ok because you want to have it now. Just get down there and take it home.

Whatever you do, rest assured it is prob one of the best cars ever. I haven't bought anything that has ever had me making so many excuses to drive! As you know, you can read the mags and listen to everyone's bs comments who don't know any more about the car than what they themselves have read or maybe have experienced from a short test drive, but owning it and getting real seat time is something that really feels even more amazing every day.
Vic - I think Cold explained it well in his free time. Honestly I never had problem with the buy-backs beacause they have the same engine as the 2015's. Porsche didn't repair the car, but they replaced all the engines with a 100k warrantee to remove any concerns.

I always say get what you like because you want it. Just got home from a 300 miles drive through the GA mountains and to North Carolina. This freaking car absolutely amazed me in the turns, and Long straights. Yes you can hail booty at 0730 in the mountains. I will say this was the best drive of my life in this car, and the rear wheel steering is fantastic. Bottom line if you have the change to grab a GT3 I say do it, and I drove the crap of this car today and it wanted more. I was tired after 5 hours, and I rev'ed the hell out of this motor and it wanted more. This is no garage queen!
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2014, 06:23 PM   #112
Vic55
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW M8 Competition Coupe

Thanks guys--- as you know its not about the money but its all about the money as Ive watched the wind blow both ways when it comes to factory buybacks where one says its ok to get because the value wont drop. Both cars are on the ground so its not an issue about getting the car "right now" ... for me Ill spend more, if I get the car, and buy the 2015.

Again, thanks for the input.
2020 Audi R8 V10 Performance Suzuka Gray
2012 Mercedes Benz C63 AMG Black Series Obsidian Black
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2014, 08:10 PM   #113
Bimmer6
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic55 View Post
Thanks guys--- as you know its not about the money but its all about the money as Ive watched the wind blow both ways when it comes to factory buybacks where one says its ok to get because the value wont drop. Both cars are on the ground so its not an issue about getting the car "right now" ... for me Ill spend more, if I get the car, and buy the 2015.

Good luck let us know where you land, and considering you can get either I would take the 2015 due to less time on the ground.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2014, 08:55 PM   #114
ColdList
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: McLaren 675LT / C7 Z07

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer6
Quote:

Good luck let us know where you land, and considering you can get either I would take the 2015 due to less time on the ground.
That would be my move as well if both on the ground.

Henry, you did the old man drive and didn't even call me?

2016 McLaren 675LT - Chicane Grey
2016 Corvette Z07 - Artic White
2016 BMW F86 X6M - Black Sapphire Metallic
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2014, 10:13 PM   #115
Bimmer6
Colonel
Rep

Quote:

Nope went to my buddy's place in NC! Tell ya later went to the Porsche garage oh my.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2014, 10:59 PM   #116
ColdList
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer6
Quote:

Nope went to my buddy's place in NC! Tell ya later went to the Porsche garage oh my.
Yeah, I saw the pics from the drive and didn't see you. Not that I can go anywhere at the moment with this family flu...ugh

Sounds great. Let's talk next week and make plans for Dec. 7.

Sharkwerks should be here Mon. We are going to wake up the crowd at C&O for sure!-hahahahahahaha!

Appreciate 0
      11-30-2014, 01:53 PM   #117
Vic55
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer6 View Post
Found a few more cars but they don't have PCCBS... I don't think they are a dire need but more of a nice add here like on the Turbo S.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2014, 06:45 PM   #118
Bimmer6
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Found a few more cars but they don't have PCCBS... I don't think they are a dire need but more of a nice add here like on the Turbo S.
If your only going to keep the car short term it may not be a major issue. I did about 300 miles yesterday through the GA mountains to NC, and tons of crazy turns. Early in the morning in the south it's empty me and a buddy but the GT3's through the ringer with heavy braking up and hill and down hill. Speeds well over triple digit, and I love this car more. She officially list the title garage queen today .......few nicks in the windshield/on those big hips. This car needs no more torque or hourse power when you really get to drive it the way it was meant to be driven.

Again pending on your driving the steel brakes worked exceptional well for me yesterday. Just had a lot of cleaning to do today!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-30-2014, 07:00 PM   #119
Vic55
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
If your only going to keep the car short term it may not be a major issue. I did about 300 miles yesterday through the GA mountains to NC, and tons of crazy turns. Early in the morning in the south it's empty me and a buddy but the GT3's through the ringer with heavy braking up and hill and down hill. Speeds well over triple digit, and I love this car more. She officially list the title garage queen today .......few nicks in the windshield/on those big hips. This car needs no more torque or hourse power when you really get to drive it the way it was meant to be driven.

Again pending on your driving the steel brakes worked exceptional well for me yesterday. Just had a lot of cleaning to do today!
Yeah Im leaning to no ceramics--- 3 of my 4 Turbos didn't have it and neither did the C4S... Still figuring out what I want to do.

I have a choice of black, Sapphire blue, white, or yellow. (I have red too but no way)
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2014, 07:03 PM   #120
M6-Coupe
Major General
Rep
Drives: F92 M8

Quote:
... This car needs no more torque or hourse power when you really get to drive it the way it was meant to be driven.
475 HP for a RWD ~3150 lb car (according to Porsche USA website) is a lot!
Gone : 2013 F13 Sakhir Orange M6 -7DCT
Gone: 2013 F13 Alpine White 650i -ZF8
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2014, 11:09 AM   #121
Vic55
Lieutenant General
Rep

Im close Henry LOL my car will be close to yours option and colorwise but thats because you have good taste

do you like your wheels in the std finish or did you wish you got black??
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2014, 01:35 PM   #122
Bokke
Major
Rep
Drives: E90M3/991.2GT3/G82M4CSL/9YOTGT

I am making the same change - just sold my Sahkir Orange F10 after 25 months and 19000 awesome miles. For me the GT3 is just to hard to pass on. Scheduled for production 12/5 and delivery 1/31. It has slid back two weeks in the last month so hope these dates hold. Got to see the first pics of the buckets today:

Anyway, here is my build:
Attached Images

23 G82 ///M4CSL | AW | Race Buckets |
24 9YO Cayenne TGT | QGM| Burgundy | Neodyne / PCCB
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2014, 02:44 PM   #123
SuckaGDog
Captain
Rep
Drives: M5, C63 AMG Black Series

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bokke View Post
I am making the same change - just sold my Sahkir Orange F10 after 25 months and 19000 awesome miles. For me the GT3 is just to hard to pass on. Scheduled for production 12/5 and delivery 1/31. It has slid back two weeks in the last month so hope these dates hold. Got to see the first pics of the buckets today:

Appreciate 0
      12-01-2014, 06:23 PM   #124
Bimmer6
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Im close Henry LOL my car will be close to yours option and colorwise but thats because you have good taste

do you like your wheels in the std finish or did you wish you got black??
What's up brother. I love the standard finish, and black was my first choice until I saw them side by side. No regrets.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2014, 07:02 PM   #125
ColdList
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
What's up brother. I love the standard finish, and black was my first choice until I saw them side by side. No regrets.
That mineral white was right man. Pops in the sun!

Appreciate 0
      12-01-2014, 07:06 PM   #126
ColdList
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:

Very nice build! LOVE the PCCB and all the carbon!

I am soooo torn on the bucket seats. Sat in a Boxter Spider with them and they were not very comfy. Having a hard time getting verification whether they are much different or not. I know they are supposed to be the same as in the 918 but that doesn't help me either. Was thinking of just getting them and then swapping them out with someone who has 18-way and would want the buckets but can't get solid confirmation from Porsche that the wiring harness that would work for the 18-way would be in the car if I ordered with buckets. If you have any first hand knowledge or information about this please PM me.

Appreciate 0
      12-01-2014, 07:18 PM   #127
Vic55
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:

I am soooo torn on the bucket seats. Sat in a Boxter Spider with them and they were not very comfy. Having a hard time getting verification whether they are much different or not. I know they are supposed to be the same as in the 918 but that doesn't help me either. Was thinking of just getting them and then swapping them out with someone who has 18-way and would want the buckets but can't get solid confirmation from Porsche that the wiring harness that would work for the 18-way would be in the car if I ordered with buckets. If you have any first hand knowledge or information about this please PM me.
I had a car incoming with the bucket seats (over 45 days out)--- most guys on rennlist said if you drive the car on a regular basis and need certain adjustments the 18 way will be the choice. I wont drive my car much if I get it but I did love the 18 way seats on my Turbo S and my 991 C4S for both comfort, bolster support and adjustability. The buckets look amazing and cut weight out but I dont care about that too much.

Oh have you heard this exhaust:

Appreciate 0
      12-01-2014, 07:23 PM   #128
Bimmer6
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
I had a car incoming with the bucket seats (over 45 days out)--- most guys on rennlist said if you drive the car on a regular basis and need certain adjustments the 18 way will be the choice. I wont drive my car much if I get it but I did love the 18 way seats on my Turbo S and my 991 C4S for both comfort, bolster support and adjustability. The buckets look amazing and cut weight out but I dont care about that too much.

Oh have you heard this exhaust:

[u2b]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uifwUQi3QGs[/u2b]
Not a fan of the buckets with bolts exposed, and all my years of playing sports I need to adjust my back supports for comfort from time to time. Me and the better half like to take drives for long weekends, and the bucket would not be fan friendly for me. Each to his own .......looks like leather strapped on to a go cart seat.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2014, 07:45 PM   #129
Bokke
Major
Rep
Drives: E90M3/991.2GT3/G82M4CSL/9YOTGT

Quote:

I too was very toooorn, but I said WTF I could probably swap if need be. I have no first hand knowledge to pass along....once I get them I will let you know....at 6'5" 250lbs this could be interesting!
23 G82 ///M4CSL | AW | Race Buckets |
24 9YO Cayenne TGT | QGM| Burgundy | Neodyne / PCCB
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2014, 07:52 PM   #130
Vic55
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
I too was very toooorn, but I said WTF I could probably swap if need be. I have no first hand knowledge to pass along....once I get them I will let you know....at 6'5" 250lbs this could be interesting!
Well you will be stuck---- literally LOL

I think you will be fine and since they have limited vertical movement your taller frame will give you good line of sight.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2014, 09:02 PM   #131
ColdList
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Oh wow. I am 6'2" 230 and the ones in the Boxter hurt!

I just spoke to a buddy who has a 918 on order. Supposedly they are the same seats. After sitting in them he highly recommended the 18-way for the GT3. He is a big guy too and for long rides he thought they would be uncomfortable. This is of course unless you are a hard core track guy and just want the ultimate in lightweight and support. I think I might get wedged in and not be able to get out once I got home-lol For now, I am sticking with the 18-way.

Last edited by ColdList; 12-01-2014 at 09:32 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2014, 09:21 PM   #132
Bimmer6
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Oh wow. I am 6'2" 230 and the ones in the Boxter hurt!

I just spoke to a buddy who has a 918 on order. Supposedly they are the same seats. After sitting in them he highly recommended the 18-way for the GT3. He is a big guy too and for long rides he thought they would be uncomfortable. This is of course unless you are a hard core track guy and just want the ultimate in lightweight and support. I think I might get wedged in and not be able to get out once I got home-lol For now, I am sticking with the 18-way. Very interested in your feedback though once the car arrives.
Ha I knew you would change your mind!
Appreciate 0