BMW
X7 and XM
forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW X7 (G07) Forums General BMW X7 Forum NOTE FOR NEW BUYERS: Difference between current build and new 4/2023 build

09-10-2022, 09:41 PM   #133
Brigitte
Major
Rep
Drives: 2023 Mazda CX-9

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjabend View Post
The steering wheel senses a change in electrical capacitance. On a test drive, I could keep a single finger lightly touching the wheel. There is a membrane on the wheel that generates a certain level of capacitance and the vehicle calibrates to that capacitance on start-up. The vehicle then requires additional capacitance to continue steering for you. There are likely other methods that might work besides touching the wheel.
According to wtwo3 he was able to drive hands-free up to 80+ mph with only the fabric of his pants barely touching the steering wheel!! I love it...
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2022, 09:43 PM   #134
rjabend
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW X7 xDrive40i

Garage List
2024 X7  [6.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brigitte View Post
According to wtwo3 he was able to drive hands-free up to 80+ mph with only the fabric of his pants barely touching the steering wheel!! I love it...
Thanks. I saw that, but there may be easier ways.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2022, 09:49 PM   #135
Brigitte
Major
Rep
Drives: 2023 Mazda CX-9

Quote:
Thanks. I saw that, but there may be easier ways.
We will probably discover more ways as more people are receiving their X7. I'm waiting for feedback from new owners...good or bad!
Appreciate 1
BMW5and71071.00
      09-11-2022, 10:43 AM   #136
BMW5and7
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: X7;X5;S-Class;Navigator

I did my best to find an-in-depth review of the drive assist on idrive-8 X7 LCI, but couldn't find any informative reviews online. I am going to take an LCI for a test drive later this week for a 30-min highway drive and will report back to the community on any major or minor differences between the pre-LCI with most recent software versus the LCI drive assist functionality. However, as a previous iX owner, which I know has the higher level or upgraded hardware (same on the 7-series) I would be surprised if there are major differences, as even the iX with the software available at that time didn't show major differences (both are great this far). The light knee touch, and ping-pong elimination, is something I've seen on road trips with iX, and was also to use same way on the pre-lci right after the 11/2022 and 3/2022 software update. The one that I feel will have some serious improvements that current pre-lci owners might feel, is the 7-series as it's already equipped with a new software and hardware package (But nobody has that vehicle yet!).
Appreciate 3
      09-11-2022, 12:06 PM   #137
BMWFanBoi
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW X7

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW5and7 View Post
I did my best to find an-in-depth review of the drive assist on idrive-8 X7 LCI, but couldn't find any informative reviews online. I am going to take an LCI for a test drive later this week for a 30-min highway drive and will report back to the community on any major or minor differences between the pre-LCI with most recent software versus the LCI drive assist functionality. However, as a previous iX owner, which I know has the higher level or upgraded hardware (same on the 7-series) I would be surprised if there are major differences, as even the iX with the software available at that time didn't show major differences (both are great this far). The light knee touch, and ping-pong elimination, is something I've seen on road trips with iX, and was also to use same way on the pre-lci right after the 11/2022 and 3/2022 software update. The one that I feel will have some serious improvements that current pre-lci owners might feel, is the 7-series as it's already equipped with a new software and hardware package (But nobody has that vehicle yet!).
Please let us know, as I am depending upon insights and knowledge from forum members and the community.

This is the determining factor on if I place an order now or wait until April 2023.
Appreciate 1
      09-15-2022, 03:53 PM   #138
ghurty
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Volvo

Hi,
Anything new with this?
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2022, 03:55 PM   #139
rjabend
Captain
Rep

Garage List
2024 X7  [6.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghurty View Post
Hi,
Anything new with this?
Ditto. I decided to wait, but have not seen any updates.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2022, 04:09 PM   #140
Alf89
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW i3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghurty View Post
Hi,
Anything new with this?
Seems like it's just a matter of waiting until 04/2023 if you want the additional functionality.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2022, 04:41 PM   #141
ghurty
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Volvo

Is this confirmed? I really wanted it this year for the tax write off.

Thank you
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2022, 05:23 PM   #142
rjabend
Captain
Rep

Garage List
2024 X7  [6.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alf89 View Post
Seems like it's just a matter of waiting until 04/2023 if you want the additional functionality.
Thanks; very helpful! Don't know why I didn't consider that option
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2022, 05:46 PM   #143
Alf89
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW i3

Quote:
Thanks; very helpful! Don't know why I didn't consider that option
I wasn't trying to be snarky--which is more than I can say about your post. The OP already quoted a BMW rep saying it won't be available until 04/2023. I was merely chiming in to answer ghurty's question to say I personally haven't seen or heard anything else. (I am very interested in this subject matter and have been looking into it elsewhere as it affects my buying decision as well.)
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2022, 06:16 PM   #144
rjabend
Captain
Rep

Garage List
2024 X7  [6.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alf89 View Post
I wasn't trying to be snarky--which is more than I can say about your post. The OP already quoted a BMW rep saying it won't be available until 04/2023. I was merely chiming in to answer ghurty's question to say I personally haven't seen or heard anything else. (I am very interested in this subject matter and have been looking into it elsewhere as it affects my buying decision as well.)
OK. Thanks for your explanation. Sorry I misunderstood. It looks like we are on the same team.

Last edited by rjabend; 09-15-2022 at 06:43 PM..
Appreciate 3
Alf8932.50
Brigitte485.50
BMW-X157.00
      09-15-2022, 08:10 PM   #145
BMW5and7
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

So, here is a summary of all the updates (old/previous and new updates) in a single response:
  • ynguldyn, "who has been sharing internal leaks from BMW accurately since 2013", is still projecting the following for the new Motorway "or highway" Assistant: available from 03/23 for iX, then available from from April 2023 for X7, and also available form April 2023 for the X5 and X6 when their LCI variant will be released. This is a strong indication that the X7 will get the hardware upgrade around that timeline as previously predicted.
  • The most solid and formal supporting information we have on this topic is the formal response that a member in this forum had received directly from BMW North America in a formal written response. Copy of the message from BMW NA:
""Hi Adam - We should first point out that BMW does not produce vehicles capable of autonomous driving. At this time, the Driver Assistance Professional Package for the new 2023 BMW X7 models does not include Highway Assistant, which will be introduced on the new BMW 7 Series and allows attentive hands-free driving at speeds up to 80 mph under suitable conditions. While we anticipate this feature will be available for order starting in the spring of 2023, it will not be possible or practical to retrofit or upgrade vehicles produced earlier. The system currently available for order in the 2023 BMW X7 allows attentive hands-free driving at speeds up to about 40 mph under suitable conditions."
  • I had the chance to take an LCI for a test drive. While I was hopping to take it for slightly longer duration, I am not seeing any significant improvements over the pre-LCI with the 3/2022 software update. The comparison I made was basically for the same spec (Both with DHP, rear steering assist, and 21" wheels). I made sure that the tire pressure was accurate too. The ride was as soft, and the drive assist was very precise (equally) in both vehicles. The "knee touch" worked well in the LCI as good as it worked in the pre-LCI --> with 11/2021 or 3/2022 software.
  • The camera sensors and drive assist module behind the windshield looks different from those close picture that I have for the 7-series sedan. Meaning, the module and hardware in the X7 LCI is different from that that the 7-series and iX are getting. Reports from BMW confirms that BMW 7-series as well as iX will be getting the motorway assist as well as new driving features via a software update. As a matter of fact, the 7-series is getting right at intro (this later comment 100% matches the leaks from ynguldyn too).
  • The 7-series sedan, on BMW website, is showing clear language referencing the highway assist as you build a vehicle. We are not seeing that for X7 in the build configurator as expected (at least until now). Keep watching the website for the X7 build around 3/2022 for any indication that the new hardware or service pack is about to be released (ideally just around the announcing of the LCI X5 and LCI X6)

Final note: I am doing my best to share what I know or what I find. Please make your own decision with the understanding that things could change at any time, released sooner, or later, thought most these leaks given how soon they may occur in the future tend to be more reliable as time passes by with no further leaks indicating the opposite. For instance, long term leaks have a bit more speculation around them, but those short-terms ones are now becoming more and more reliable as we approach Q1 of 2023. To add some suspense as am closing this response, long-term leaks are confirming that there will be an EV variant of the X7 (iX7) when the new generation is released starting 8/27.

I hope that helps, and I hope that you all enjoy your X7 vehicles regardless of what you decide.

Last edited by BMW5and7; 09-15-2022 at 08:19 PM..
Appreciate 8
      09-15-2022, 08:51 PM   #146
Brinkley77
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Cadillac SRX

Garage List
2024   [0.00]
BMW X7  [0.00]
Quote:
So, here is a summary of all the updates (old/previous and new updates) in a single response:
  • ynguldyn, "who has been sharing internal leaks from BMW accurately since 2013", is still projecting the following for the new Motorway "or highway" Assistant: available from 03/23 for iX, then available from from April 2023 for X7, and also available form April 2023 for the X5 and X6 when their LCI variant will be released. This is a strong indication that the X7 will get the hardware upgrade around that timeline as previously predicted.
  • The most solid and formal supporting information we have on this topic is the formal response that a member in this forum had received directly from BMW North America in a formal written response. Copy of the message from BMW NA:
""Hi Adam - We should first point out that BMW does not produce vehicles capable of autonomous driving. At this time, the Driver Assistance Professional Package for the new 2023 BMW X7 models does not include Highway Assistant, which will be introduced on the new BMW 7 Series and allows attentive hands-free driving at speeds up to 80 mph under suitable conditions. While we anticipate this feature will be available for order starting in the spring of 2023, it will not be possible or practical to retrofit or upgrade vehicles produced earlier. The system currently available for order in the 2023 BMW X7 allows attentive hands-free driving at speeds up to about 40 mph under suitable conditions."
  • I had the chance to take an LCI for a test drive. While I was hopping to take it for slightly longer duration, I am not seeing any significant improvements over the pre-LCI with the 3/2022 software update. The comparison I made was basically for the same spec (Both with DHP, rear steering assist, and 21" wheels). I made sure that the tire pressure was accurate too. The ride was as soft, and the drive assist was very precise (equally) in both vehicles. The "knee touch" worked well in the LCI as good as it worked in the pre-LCI --> with 11/2021 or 3/2022 software.
  • The camera sensors and drive assist module behind the windshield looks different from those close picture that I have for the 7-series sedan. Meaning, the module and hardware in the X7 LCI is different from that that the 7-series and iX are getting. Reports from BMW confirms that BMW 7-series as well as iX will be getting the motorway assist as well as new driving features via a software update. As a matter of fact, the 7-series is getting right at intro (this later comment 100% matches the leaks from ynguldyn too).
  • The 7-series sedan, on BMW website, is showing clear language referencing the highway assist as you build a vehicle. We are not seeing that for X7 in the build configurator as expected (at least until now). Keep watching the website for the X7 build around 3/2022 for any indication that the new hardware or service pack is about to be released (ideally just around the announcing of the LCI X5 and LCI X6)

Final note: I am doing my best to share what I know or what I find. Please make your own decision with the understanding that things could change at any time, released sooner, or later, thought most these leaks given how soon they may occur in the future tend to be more reliable as time passes by with no further leaks indicating the opposite. For instance, long term leaks have a bit more speculation around them, but those short-terms ones are now becoming more and more reliable as we approach Q1 of 2023. To add some suspense as am closing this response, long-term leaks are confirming that there will be an EV variant of the X7 (iX7) when the new generation is released starting 8/27.

I hope that helps, and I hope that you all enjoy your X7 vehicles regardless of what you decide.
Not sure I've said this but Thank you for all your
effort in sharing info with us.
Appreciate 3
Brigitte485.50
BMW5and71071.00
rjabend376.00
      09-15-2022, 08:56 PM   #147
Taktix1
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 23 X7 40i

For sure, thanks for all the info. Definitely nice to have this info before making a decision. I'm assuming that you would need to get the Driver Assistance Package in order to have this 'highway assistant' feature. As I was never planning to get DAP, I opted to order the LCI now. Hopefully will have it in a week or two (just got out of QC) and can't wait!
Appreciate 2
BMW5and71071.00
      09-15-2022, 09:04 PM   #148
adamjs83
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5, 2020 X7

Garage List
2020 X7  [0.00]
2019 X5  [0.00]
Quote:

I took delivery of my vehicle today. It seems roughly the same as my 2020 X7 in terms of driver assist. It was a short drive home so I will update after a few more trips.
2019 BMW X5 xdrive40i Mineral White
Appreciate 1
BMW5and71071.00
      09-15-2022, 10:16 PM   #149
rjabend
Captain
Rep

Garage List
2024 X7  [6.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by adamjs83 View Post
I took delivery of my vehicle today. It seems roughly the same as my 2020 X7 in terms of driver assist. It was a short drive home so I will update after a few more trips.
Interesting BMW Highway Assist advantage note:

"According to a review of the system from CNET, during a pre-production 7 Series test drive, BMW’s Highway Assistant has an advantage over its competitors’ systems. Its ability to allow the driver to adjust the speed or braking without turning the system off its great. In most such systems, a press of the throttle or brake pedal will deactivate the system, forcing the driver to take over. However, BMW’s system doesn’t do that, the driver can speed up or slow down as they wish and the system will stay with them."

In the article at: https://www.bmwblog.com/2022/08/30/b...ft-hands-free/

Last edited by rjabend; 09-15-2022 at 10:23 PM..
Appreciate 3
Brigitte485.50
PL13.50
BMW-X157.00
      09-16-2022, 01:03 PM   #150
adamjs83
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5, 2020 X7

Garage List
2020 X7  [0.00]
2019 X5  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by adamjs83 View Post
Interesting BMW Highway Assist advantage note:

"According to a review of the system from CNET, during a pre-production 7 Series test drive, BMW’s Highway Assistant has an advantage over its competitors’ systems. [COLOR="Red"][COLOR="Black"]Its ability to allow the driver to adjust the speed or braking without turning the system off its great.[/COLOR][/COLOR] In most such systems, a press of the throttle or brake pedal will deactivate the system, forcing the driver to take over. However, BMW’s system doesn’t do that, the driver can speed up or slow down as they wish and the system will stay with them."

In the article at: https://www.bmwblog.com/2022/08/30/b...ft-hands-free/
Highway assistant is not in currently delivered cars.
2019 BMW X5 xdrive40i Mineral White
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2022, 04:45 PM   #151
chitownx7
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5, 2011 550

I ended up canceling my LCI order - it had been at the dealer for a month with a defective module and they haven't been able to get the replacement. They just kept pushing it back and I was getting a bad feeling. Works out well, I'm just going to buy my 2020 x5 off the lease, wait until April and then do another custom order and get the highway assist. Can't wait to see how much more they are charging for the additional functionality. Hopefully by then I can do better than $1000 off MSRP + loyalty
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2022, 05:11 PM   #152
BMW5and7
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chitownml View Post
I ended up canceling my LCI order - it had been at the dealer for a month with a defective module and they haven't been able to get the replacement. They just kept pushing it back and I was getting a bad feeling. Works out well, I'm just going to buy my 2020 x5 off the lease, wait until April and then do another custom order and get the highway assist. Can't wait to see how much more they are charging for the additional functionality. Hopefully by then I can do better than $1000 off MSRP + loyalty
The 7-series drive assist pro with highway hands free driving is only $400 more than the X7.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2022, 12:50 AM   #153
Starry
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i

I was about to make an order and saw this. Now I am hesitant...
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2022, 11:37 AM   #154
BMW5and7
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starry View Post
I was about to make an order and saw this. Now I am hesitant...
Would wait regardless of the anticipated system/hardware or drive assist upgrades soon. Many of the LCI vehicles produced now are coming with some errors/software glitches, and all kind of other issues. Some are lucky to not see many issues, but the there are several posts/threads that u can here on all kind of stuff. If you already have an X7 or already have a vehicle and don’t mind waiting, it might be wise to wait a little until BMW figures out all these issues, and also potentially get the advantage of some upgrades for autonomous driving. I think hands-free highway driving is a really nice and comfortable feature which may get complimented by autonomous driving L3 later when personal pilot is released. You can’t go wrong with waiting just a few months, if you can.
Appreciate 4
rjabend376.00
Brigitte485.50