proTUNING Freaks
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics

04-07-2014, 07:18 PM   #133
aus
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Odysse

So the only way to get txt messages to show up on the iDrive is to get 6NS?
If you guys haven't tried it, it's pretty slick.

For iPhone users: Settings -> Bluetooth -> hit the ">" for your car's BT, then turn ON "Show Notifications" The only problem is, the phone doesn't ding when there's a message. You have to look for the Letter icon on the top border of the iDrive.

To view messages, I have a button programmed for "contacts" then shift LEFT and then scroll down to "messages" and they'll download from the phone.

If you live in a state like Cali where you can get a ticket for checking your phone even at a red light, it comes in handy.

Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by some of the top engineers in the world because some guys sponsored by a company told you it's "better??" But when you ask the same guy about tracking, "oh no, I have a kid now" or "I just detailed my car." or "i just got new tires."
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2014, 09:28 PM   #134
Swancoat
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by aus View Post
So the only way to get txt messages to show up on the iDrive is to get 6NS?
If you guys haven't tried it, it's pretty slick.

For iPhone users: Settings -> Bluetooth -> hit the ">" for your car's BT, then turn ON "Show Notifications" The only problem is, the phone doesn't ding when there's a message. You have to look for the Letter icon on the top border of the iDrive.

To view messages, I have a button programmed for "contacts" then shift LEFT and then scroll down to "messages" and they'll download from the phone.

If you live in a state like Cali where you can get a ticket for checking your phone even at a red light, it comes in handy.

So it doesn't pop up automatically (or at least with one button press)? You have to dig through menus to read them? Brutal.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2014, 03:30 AM   #135
tisme
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 in Sakhir Orange

Garage List
In the UK 6NS is standard; here's my order which includes the standard options in the second file. Standard options vary so much by geo.
Attached Images

04-09-2014, 04:59 AM   #136
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2021 i3S, 2024 i4 M50

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW / Oregon View Post
Here is more detailed info on the 6NS option:
Finally... thanks.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2014, 03:52 PM   #137
aus
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swancoat View Post
So it doesn't pop up automatically (or at least with one button press)? You have to dig through menus to read them? Brutal.
It's not too bad as long as you set a memory button to Contacts, then you just have to move the iDrive knob to the LEFT and hit Messages. The main problem is there is no sound, so you have to check regularly.
Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by some of the top engineers in the world because some guys sponsored by a company told you it's "better??" But when you ask the same guy about tracking, "oh no, I have a kid now" or "I just detailed my car." or "i just got new tires."
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2014, 05:20 PM   #138
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
It's not too bad as long as you set a memory button to Contacts, then you just have to move the iDrive knob to the LEFT and hit Messages. The main problem is there is no sound, so you have to check regularly.
My iPhone 5 sends the email/text sound alerts via USB to the iDrive. The phone sound switch must be set to not-mute, obviously.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2014, 07:19 PM   #139
aus
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swancoat View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Technic View Post
My iPhone 5 sends the email/text sound alerts via USB to the iDrive. The phone sound switch must be set to not-mute, obviously.
That's strange. All my friends with this feature also don't get a ding or any sound when they get an in coming txt. I have an iPhone 5 as well.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2014, 08:43 AM   #140
NewNole2001
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2012 E93 328i, 2015 F8

Quote:
That's strange. All my friends with this feature also don't get a ding or any sound when they get an in coming txt. I have an iPhone 5 as well.
Check out Windows Phone. Whenever I get a text, my phone fakes a phone call, and then asks me if I'd like to have it read the text to me using voice recognition. And a lot of the members of the dev team for Cortana drive BMWs and they worked closely with the Bluetooth team to work out kinks for the upcoming release Windows Phone 8.1. I was talking extensively with the Project Manager for voice recognition in Cortana last week (he drives an X5).

Best of all, this functionality is standard with the base M3/4.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2014, 03:06 PM   #141
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Your audio source must be USB/Bluetooth Audio otherwise you will not hear it... the alerts are sent via the external sources audio not via Bluetooth phone.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2014, 01:01 PM   #142
MDIVISION
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3

For 2015 vehicles. “Enhanced USB & Bluetooth plus Smartphone Integration” will not be standard. That will now be a $500 option. Instead, “hands-free Bluetooth and USB audio connection, now including Bluetooth audio streaming” will be standard. Basically what this equipment change does is free up storage space in the center console.

Another way of saying it is, the main feature “Enhanced USB & Bluetooth plus Smartphone Integration” ($500 option) gives you, is the place in the center console to install a Snap-In adapter. It also provides a few other functionalities including two phones being paired at the same time, and message dictation.
2014 BMW 335i MPPK SOLD
2015 M3 SOLD

Last edited by MDIVISION; 04-18-2014 at 04:02 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2014, 01:54 PM   #143
Ghetto2315
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 16' BMW i8

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mloyalty View Post
For 2015 vehicles. “Enhanced USB & Bluetooth plus Smartphone Integration” will not be standard. That will now be a $500 option. Instead, “hands-free Bluetooth and USB audio connection, now including Bluetooth audio streaming” will be standard. Basically what this equipment change does is free up storage space in the center console.

Another way of saying it is, the main feature “Enhanced USB & Bluetooth plus Smartphone Integration” ($500 option) gives you, is the place in the center console to install a Snap-In adapter. It also provides a few other functionalities including two phones being paired at the same time, and message dictation.

For further information, please see attached link.

http://www.bmwpkod.com/bmw-connecteddrive

PKOD is for BMW employees only because it contains sensitive and non-public information.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2014, 06:40 PM   #144
IMrMark
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M4

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [9.66]
awesome thread guys; saved me $500 bucks!
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2014, 06:48 PM   #145
aus
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Your audio source must be USB/Bluetooth Audio otherwise you will not hear it... the alerts are sent via the external sources audio not via Bluetooth phone.
It's stange because I can stream music via BT, and hear the keyboard sounds when I type a message while connected via BT audio, but I still don't get a ding when I get a txt.
I just check the iDrive screen border for the envelope sign.

Appreciate 0
      04-22-2014, 04:29 AM   #146
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep

Can you hear your texts "ding" via your phone not connected to the car?

If you use Google Maps Navigation while Bluetooth Audio selected, can you hear the routing prompts via the car?

Quote:
It's stange because I can stream music via BT, and hear the keyboard sounds when I type a message while connected via BT audio, but I still don't get a ding when I get a txt.
I just check the iDrive screen border for the envelope sign.

Appreciate 0
      04-22-2014, 08:29 AM   #147
ake
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW i4 e40

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMrMark View Post
awesome thread guys; saved me $500 bucks!
Me too! Never would use the dock... so I don't need it.
[ Yas Marina Blue | Black Full Merino Leather | 19" Black-Light Alloy Wheels | M Double-Clutch Transmission | Carbon Fiber interior | Driver Assistance Plus / Lighting / Executive | Adaptive M Suspension | Harman Kardon Surround ]
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2014, 05:46 PM   #148
aus
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Can you hear your texts "ding" via your phone not connected to the car?

If you use Google Maps Navigation while Bluetooth Audio selected, can you hear the routing prompts via the car?
I hear Google Maps Navigation instructions from the car speakers while playing music via BT (Spotify). I'm not sure if I hear a ding while listening to music via BT and get a txt.
I do know when I'm connected to BT and listening to the car radio, I don't get a ding.

If I'm NOT connected to the car, my phone will ding when I get a txt. When I have the phone connected to a BT speaker listening to music, and get a txt, I also get a ding from the speaker. It's really strange why it doesn't ding when connected via BT to the car while listening to the radio.

Appreciate 0
      04-22-2014, 06:12 PM   #149
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
I hear Google Maps Navigation instructions from the car speakers while playing music via BT (Spotify). I'm not sure if I hear a ding while listening to music via BT and get a txt.
I do know when I'm connected to BT and listening to the car radio, I don't get a ding.

If I'm NOT connected to the car, my phone will ding when I get a txt. When I have the phone connected to a BT speaker listening to music, and get a txt, I also get a ding from the speaker. It's really strange why it doesn't ding when connected via BT to the car while listening to the radio.

This is why:

Quote:
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2014, 07:27 PM   #150
aus
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
This is why:
Thanks man. Now I get what you're saying. I guess there's no way to get a dig while listening to the radio. Not a big deal to check the screen every few minutes.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2014, 11:35 PM   #151
iDriveEurope
Private
Rep
Drives: '15 F80 m3 MW, cloth, 6mt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedan_Clan View Post
It depends on where you are. Down here in SoCal we have Coding Meets, and people will just bring food & drinks and shoot the shit while we code. There's usually no charge for our local coders, but I'm sure that some do.
I'm in LA. I have 2011 e90 m3 that is sat ready. Is there code that can help me....or do I need more hardware?
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2014, 02:43 AM   #152
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep
Drives: '22 Chalk Gray Porsche C2S

Quote:
Originally Posted by iDriveEurope
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedan_Clan View Post
It depends on where you are. Down here in SoCal we have Coding Meets, and people will just bring food & drinks and shoot the shit while we code. There's usually no charge for our local coders, but I'm sure that some do.
I'm in LA. I have 2011 e90 m3 that is sat ready. Is there code that can help me....or do I need more hardware?
That's a good question. Let me do some checking. What exactly do you want done?
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2014, 04:59 PM   #153
andy79
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 328i

Guys these are the specs on my old 2012, meaning I don't have enhancement Bluetooth........ please advice,
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-08-2014, 04:32 PM   #154
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy79 View Post
Guys these are the specs on my old 2012, meaning I don't have enhancement Bluetooth........ please advice,
BMW Apps = Enhanced USB and Bluetooth in MY2012 E9x M3

Why are you asking this in the F80 thread?
Appreciate 0