01-15-2022, 06:45 AM   #23
Joemac8
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 X7 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Pină View Post
To all those complaining, you do know this feature was designed to detect fast moving vehicles, not a slow walking pedestrian, right?

It works almost too well in my car, as it will alert for vehicles more than 8-10 feet away.
You might be correct. Other manufacturers also allow for slow moving things such as pedestrians etc. It is those who step in back of my reversing car that worry me the most. My 2015 Suburban warned of those type events and that is what I had assumed the BMW would do as well. It does not. It is therefore less safe.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2022, 06:58 AM   #24
ComingInHot
Newish
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMWs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joemac8 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Pinã View Post
To all those complaining, you do know this feature was designed to detect fast moving vehicles, not a slow walking pedestrian, right?

It works almost too well in my car, as it will alert for vehicles more than 8-10 feet away.
You might be correct. Other manufacturers also allow for slow moving things such as pedestrians etc. It is those who step in back of my reversing car that worry me the most. My 2015 Suburban warned of those type events and that is what I had assumed the BMW would do as well. It does not. It is therefore less safe.
I've not had any issues with this so far… seems to work correctly and also the vehicle applies brakes accordingly. I still do not rely on it blindly I am a driver after all so I will be responsible and look with my own eyes and back up slowly….no regrets that way
Appreciate 1
Al Pină1838.50
      01-15-2022, 08:02 AM   #25
x7bmw23
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW X7 40i M Sport

I need to test mine as I haven't noticed or really paid close attention to the screen. I typically don't move until I look over both shoulders, pause for 2 seconds and then slowly creep out of a spot. The wide angle rear camera helps tremendously.

The back up sensors on the other hand work too well. I always back into a single car garage and even while backing up slowly, the x7 slams on the brakes and sensors are going crazy. If I leave the parking sensors on, the truck will refuse to enter the garage. Mind you I have approximately 6 inches of clearance on either side with mirrors folded in. So I hv gotten into the habit of turning the sensors off to get in garage. Then I have the fear of driving through the garage wall into my man cave on the other side with the sensors off 😂. This is the sole reason my wife refuses to drive the X7 because of fear of hitting something with such minimal clearance. I even offered to pull in engine first and then coached her on using the back up assistant feature but she still refuses to touch it. I have forbidden her from ever parking in the garage. Told her to just leave it in the driveway if she needs to use it. Mind you, four leased vehicles and she curb rashed the wheels on the first three. And yes, I purchased wheel and tire protection packages on each vehicle for that reason.

I'll test my rear detection later today and report back my experience.
Appreciate 1
MystroX56243.00
      01-15-2022, 04:44 PM   #26
Wanderer73
Major
Rep
Drives: X7 M50i

Two issues from my perspective:

1) Many people have a similar feature in their other cars that is far superior to what I've experienced. For example, I live in the city, and my driveway backs into a busy street. My daughter's Kia Sportage beeps and shows visual arrows in the direction of cars crossing perpendicular to my driveway. It picks the cars up way in advance as you're moving down the driveway. Amazing system. The X7 does not provide this type of experience.

2) The inconsistency of audible/visual warnings is frustrating. I was backing out of a parking space the other day, and a fast-moving car almost took off the back of my car—no audible warning or the red illuminated corners in the parking view. The last time this happened in the same grocery store parking lot, I got the red illuminated corners, but not audible warning.
Appreciate 1
      01-15-2022, 09:48 PM   #27
mitch57
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW X7 xDrive40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanderer73 View Post

1) Many people have a similar feature in their other cars that is far superior to what I've experienced. For example, I live in the city, and my driveway backs into a busy street. My daughter's Kia Sportage beeps and shows visual arrows in the direction of cars crossing perpendicular to my driveway. It picks the cars up way in advance as you're moving down the driveway. Amazing system. The X7 does not provide this type of experience.

2) The inconsistency of audible/visual warnings is frustrating. I was backing out of a parking space the other day, and a fast-moving car almost took off the back of my car—no audible warning or the red illuminated corners in the parking view. The last time this happened in the same grocery store parking lot, I got the red illuminated corners, but not audible warning.
Yep! That sounds about right. I've had the same experience. My 35K Mazda is light years ahead of BMW in that department.

I don't trust any of BMW's safety technology.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2022, 09:15 AM   #28
Baylor2000
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW X7 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanderer73 View Post

Our other car is a Kia Stinger GT so your comment drives home my surprise that there isn't arrows and side mirrors that flash when a car or shopping cart is approaching, etc. We aren't getting much of anything at all so it will be mentioned at the next service. Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2022, 11:04 AM   #29
Wanderer73
Major
Rep
Drives: X7 M50i

Baylor2000, unfortunately, your disappointment is not going to be changed unless BMW decides to address the experience in a software update.
Appreciate 1
mitch57798.00
      01-16-2022, 11:10 AM   #30
sbkim
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 X7 M50i

Glad to hear I am not alone. My wife also complains of overly sensitive braking intervention while backing out of our garage (just started a separate thread on this).

Conversely, she almost rear ended another car while backing out of grocery parking lot because the warning light or sound never came on!

Quote:
Originally Posted by x7bmw23 View Post
I need to test mine as I haven't noticed or really paid close attention to the screen. I typically don't move until I look over both shoulders, pause for 2 seconds and then slowly creep out of a spot. The wide angle rear camera helps tremendously.

The back up sensors on the other hand work too well. I always back into a single car garage and even while backing up slowly, the x7 slams on the brakes and sensors are going crazy. If I leave the parking sensors on, the truck will refuse to enter the garage. Mind you I have approximately 6 inches of clearance on either side with mirrors folded in. So I hv gotten into the habit of turning the sensors off to get in garage. Then I have the fear of driving through the garage wall into my man cave on the other side with the sensors off 😂. This is the sole reason my wife refuses to drive the X7 because of fear of hitting something with such minimal clearance. I even offered to pull in engine first and then coached her on using the back up assistant feature but she still refuses to touch it. I have forbidden her from ever parking in the garage. Told her to just leave it in the driveway if she needs to use it. Mind you, four leased vehicles and she curb rashed the wheels on the first three. And yes, I purchased wheel and tire protection packages on each vehicle for that reason.

I'll test my rear detection later today and report back my experience.
Appreciate 0