BMW
X7 and XM
forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW X7 (G07) Forums General BMW X7 Forum Missing Key Fob Button?

04-22-2024, 11:20 PM   #1
fridgeman12
Registered
Rep
Drives: X7

Missing Key Fob Button?

Hello,

Just purchased a used X7 and received two key fobs, one in great condition and the other in not so great condition. The second key fob is missing the lock button but the functions still all work. Is there a way to purchase the missing button and clip it back on or will I just need to purchase a generic/used key fob shell? If it is the latter, does anyone have any recommendations on aftermarket shell?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-23-2024, 08:01 AM   #2
Madsen203
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Tesla Model Y

Why not buy a used fob and transpose the buttons to your current? Does it work that way? It might not. I haven’t taken the fob apart.

key fob used

If that doesn’t work, dealer can program it but likely will be expensive.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2024, 08:29 AM   #3
streborx
Major
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X7 M50i

Many hard and soft fob covers on Amazon. Hope previous owner wasn't popping the beer caps while driving.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2024, 10:36 AM   #4
Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F06 650ix GC / F15 X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madsen203 View Post
Why not buy a used fob and transpose the buttons to your current? Does it work that way? It might not. I haven’t taken the fob apart.

key fob used

If that doesn’t work, dealer can program it but likely will be expensive.
BMW dealers can NOT program a used remote fob. Never have since fobs started being used in the mid 1990s. EWS (the encrypted start immobilizing feature) has always been programmed as the vehicle comes off the assembly line, and the data is stored...then retrieved (based on VIN) when a customer requires a new key. The new BMW remote is then programmed (metal key blade is cut if required) then sent to the ordering dealer and given to the owner.

Perhaps the OP can attempt to remove the IC board and implant it into a compatible new or used remote fob. But they will need to use the IC board that has the transponder that is written with the same encryption that matches the same 128-bit encryption on their CAS/FEM/BDC/DME modules.

Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.

Last edited by Qsilver7; 04-23-2024 at 10:42 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2024, 10:40 AM   #5
Madsen203
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qsilver7 View Post
BMW dealers can NOT program a used remote fob. Never have since fobs started being used in the mid 1990s. EWS (the encrypted start immobilizing feature) has always been programmed as the vehicle comes off the assembly line, and the data is stored...then retrieved (based on VIN) when a customer requires a new key. The new BMW remote is then programmed (metal key blade is cut if required) then sent to the ordering dealer and given to the owner.
An you remove the button and install on current remote?
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2024, 03:53 PM   #6
Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F06 650ix GC / F15 X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madsen203 View Post
An you remove the button and install on current remote?
I honestly don't know. But since the one button is missing on the remote pictured above, I'd fiddle with it to see if the other buttons can be removed and replaced without any damage. That could be an indicator of any ease of buying a remote online and popping the buttons on/off.

Good luck...keep us posted with your decision, especially if the buttons can be popped off/on with no damage.

Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2024, 06:41 PM   #7
JJacksonIII
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW X7 M60i

One of those fobs was the wife's and one was the husband's.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2024, 09:16 PM   #8
streborx
Major
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X7 M50i

Carve out a piece of wood or plastic that fits and functions as the missing button. Then buy a soft leather fob cover that will mask the crafted button and all the damage the dog did. You'll be the only one that knows.
Appreciate 0
      Yesterday, 09:52 PM   #9
fridgeman12
Registered
Rep

Quote:
I honestly don't know. But since the one button is missing on the remote pictured above, I'd fiddle with it to see if the other buttons can be removed and replaced without any damage. That could be an indicator of any ease of buying a remote online and popping the buttons on/off.

Good luck...keep us posted with your decision, especially if the buttons can be popped off/on with no damage.
I've been scouring ebay listings and the buttons seem to be able to get popped on and off quite easily (see image attached), hesitant to try button popping off on my own key but I probably should as a proof of concept before spending the $40 on a stripped out key.

I
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      Yesterday, 10:18 PM   #10
fridgeman12
Registered
Rep

Quote:

Perhaps the OP can attempt to remove the IC board and implant it into a compatible new or used remote fob. But they will need to use the IC board that has the transponder that is written with the same encryption that matches the same 128-bit encryption on their CAS/FEM/BDC/DME modules.
I believe transplanting the internals shouldn't be an issue electronic wise, just wondering if the key blades are all the same length between models so I wouldn't have an issue swapping parts.
Appreciate 0
      Yesterday, 11:25 PM   #11
Madsen203
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by fridgeman12 View Post
I believe transplanting the internals shouldn't be an issue electronic wise, just wondering if the key blades are all the same length between models so I wouldn't have an issue swapping parts.
Key blade should be same length. Obviously cut differently but should t be an issue if you get a similar key profile. These are manufactured in large scale so having various sizes is inefficient and very unlikely.
Appreciate 0