BMW
X7 and XM
forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW X7 (G07) Forums General BMW X7 Forum Assigning CarPlay to a Memory Button??

10-27-2020, 11:52 AM   #1
jmciver
///M SubDriver
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3, 2020 X7 40i

Garage List
2017 BMW M3  [10.00]
2020 BMW X7  [0.00]
2019 BMW X3  [0.00]
2009 BMW 128i  [0.00]
Assigning CarPlay to a Memory Button??

Since I purchased my X7 ~7 months ago or so, I have seen a few posts stating that people have been able to assign CarPlay to one of the memory buttons. After 7 months, I still have not been able to figure it out. Usually I can figure out stuff like this, but it has eluded me thus far and it is beginning to bug me...

According to the manual, the way to assign any iDrive function to a button is to first select the specific function or screen in iDrive, then do a long press of the desired mode button, and it should save it to that button. I have done this with radio station presets and it works as advertised. However, with CarPlay open, when I do the long press of any option button, I get a "Unable to save" error. I tried resetting iDrive, but still doesn't work.

So have people really figured out how to assign CarPlay to one of the memory buttons? If so, what am I missing? FWIW, I have had my X7's software updated a few times since my X7 purchase and I have kept my iPhone up to date during this period, but it has never worked each time I have tried it.

:

X3 XDrive 30i - 2019 G01 Mineral White (wife's) / 128i 6MT - 2009 E82 Jet Black (son's)
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2020, 12:36 PM   #2
Resjudicata
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M850i convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmciver View Post
Since I purchased my X7 ~7 months ago or so, I have seen a few posts stating that people have been able to assign CarPlay to one of the memory buttons. After 7 months, I still have not been able to figure it out. Usually I can figure out stuff like this, but it has eluded me thus far and it is beginning to bug me...

According to the manual, the way to assign any iDrive function to a button is to first select the specific function or screen in iDrive, then do a long press of the desired mode button, and it should save it to that button. I have done this with radio station presets and it works as advertised. However, with CarPlay open, when I do the long press of any option button, I get a "Unable to save" error. I tried resetting iDrive, but still doesn't work.

So have people really figured out how to assign CarPlay to one of the memory buttons? If so, what am I missing? FWIW, I have had my X7's software updated a few times since my X7 purchase and I have kept my iPhone up to date during this period, but it has never worked each time I have tried it.

:
Yes. It's easier to walk you through it; but I'll try to type.

Select the apple car play item in the menus - but don't actually click on it. Hover over it. Then select and set the radio button. Holding down a button, like #5 for me. The new 07.2020 software also allows you to set a button for apple items like Waze or Music. But similar just hover over it, not selecting to set it.
Appreciate 1
jmciver1823.50
      10-27-2020, 07:50 PM   #3
jmciver
///M SubDriver
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2017 BMW M3  [10.00]
2020 BMW X7  [0.00]
2019 BMW X3  [0.00]
2009 BMW 128i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Resjudicata View Post

Select the apple car play item in the menus - but don't actually click on it. Hover over it. Then select and set the radio button. Holding down a button, like #5 for me. The new 07.2020 software also allows you to set a button for apple items like Waze or Music. But similar just hover over it, not selecting to set it.
Well I just learned something, thanks! So much for the manual being updated, or at least clarified with the nuance you mentioned. I was able to assign a button to CarPlay doing exactly what you said (just did it). But I could not assign a button to a specific app like Waze or Google Maps - I got the same error I mentioned in my original post. I have 7/2020.35 software in the car so I am not sure what the issue may be, unless the .35 does not have that functionality.

X3 XDrive 30i - 2019 G01 Mineral White (wife's) / 128i 6MT - 2009 E82 Jet Black (son's)
Appreciate 1
      10-27-2020, 09:20 PM   #4
Resjudicata
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Well I just learned something, thanks! So much for the manual being updated, or at least clarified with the nuance you mentioned. I was able to assign a button to CarPlay doing exactly what you said (just did it). But I could not assign a button to a specific app like Waze or Google Maps - I got the same error I mentioned in my original post. I have 7/2020.35 software in the car so I am not sure what the issue may be, unless the .35 does not have that functionality.
Glad to help! My buddy is a mechanic for BMW.
Appreciate 1
jmciver1823.50
      10-27-2020, 09:31 PM   #5
ducatiti
Captain
Rep
Drives: X7

Sort of out of topic but do we have to renew the CarPlay capability or this is something recently changed?
Appreciate 1
      10-27-2020, 10:03 PM   #6
Resjudicata
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ducatiti View Post
Sort of out of topic but do we have to renew the CarPlay capability or this is something recently changed?
It's fixed now. Originally it was going to be a yearly subscription; but they changed that and now it's included without any fees.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2020, 01:06 AM   #7
ducatiti
Captain
Rep

Quote:
It's fixed now. Originally it was going to be a yearly subscription; but they changed that and now it's included without any fees.
Good to know. Thanks.

How about screen mirroring? I've tried connecting not working, even downloaded the Miracast app.. no luck. Got charged $39.99 for an app that doesn't work lol.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2020, 05:57 AM   #8
jmciver
///M SubDriver
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2017 BMW M3  [10.00]
2020 BMW X7  [0.00]
2019 BMW X3  [0.00]
2009 BMW 128i  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

What about assigning an app to a specific button like you mentioned? I still could not get that to work, any additional insight on that? Could it be an iOS issue?

Appreciate 0
      10-28-2020, 08:56 AM   #9
Resjudicata
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

What about assigning an app to a specific button like you mentioned? I still could not get that to work, any additional insight on that? Could it be an iOS issue?
I'll check. I think you can set it for Carplay audio or Carplay nav only. so it's not a specific app but more a function. like bmw nav, but for a button.

I'll call him.
Appreciate 1
jmciver1823.50
      10-28-2020, 08:57 AM   #10
Resjudicata
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ducatiti View Post
Quote:
Good to know. Thanks.

How about screen mirroring? I've tried connecting not working, even downloaded the Miracast app.. no luck. Got charged $39.99 for an app that doesn't work lol.
screen mirror works with all andriod phones. I don't know if or why you'd want to do it on Carplay because Apple already has wireless carplay to the screen.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2020, 10:35 AM   #11
Geist X7
Rep

Quote:

:
Thanks for the guidance. Was a real hassle before.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2020, 05:25 PM   #12
Wanderer73
Major
Rep
Drives: X7 M50i

From my experience you can only set some of the default Apple apps as stated.
Appreciate 1
      10-28-2020, 07:23 PM   #13
toddwalton
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2019 X7 - 2024 G26

The only Apple functions you can assign to the 1-8 buttons are the ones listed in iDrive itself. You can’t hover over and assign anything once in the CarPlay experience, but BMW allows a few assignable shortcuts from key iDrive menus.

If you go to Music in iDrive you will see “Music in Apple CarPlay“ as one of the options next to Radio, XM, etc. Hover over that and long press a button. You can only do this for Music, Navigation, and Phone if memory serves correctly.

Last edited by toddwalton; 10-28-2020 at 07:32 PM..
Appreciate 1
jmciver1823.50
      10-29-2020, 10:26 AM   #14
Resjudicata
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddwalton View Post
The only Apple functions you can assign to the 1-8 buttons are the ones listed in iDrive itself. You can’t hover over and assign anything once in the CarPlay experience, but BMW allows a few assignable shortcuts from key iDrive menus.

If you go to Music in iDrive you will see “Music in Apple CarPlay“ as one of the options next to Radio, XM, etc. Hover over that and long press a button. You can only do this for Music, Navigation, and Phone if memory serves correctly.
There ya go. ^this^

And that matches with what my guy said today. You got it first.
Appreciate 0