BMW
X7 and XM
forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Off-Topic Discussions Board Health, Fitness, Martial Arts, and Nutrition Road bikes?

08-11-2014, 08:16 PM   #331
P1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2004 3/4 ton Duramax

Quote:
Originally Posted by Litos View Post
yeah, that's why I posted a picture of the Chrome Electra - that one would be mine...

she would obviously get the pink one...

October/November around here feels good...low 80's....
My wife sometimes mentions she wants a bike also. There is just no infrastructure in Austin that supports a "casual bike ride around the park". And even if there was, is she just going to load up the bike in the back of the X5, unload it, then ride around for 30 minutes in a circle, to go back home again? Needless to say, she doesn't have a bike.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2014, 09:58 PM   #332
Litos
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 Challenger RT Junk

Quote:
Originally Posted by P1et View Post
My wife sometimes mentions she wants a bike also. There is just no infrastructure in Austin that supports a "casual bike ride around the park". And even if there was, is she just going to load up the bike in the back of the X5, unload it, then ride around for 30 minutes in a circle, to go back home again? Needless to say, she doesn't have a bike.
there are millions of places around Houston to ride bikes...

we just gotta figure out HOW and WHERE we're gonna ride since I no longer have a sick truck....

bike rack hanging off the Challenger !??! HAHA !!
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2014, 09:37 AM   #333
scalbert
Major General
Rep
Drives: '13 S4, '15 Q7

Quote:
there are millions of places around Houston to ride bikes...

we just gotta figure out HOW and WHERE we're gonna ride since I no longer have a sick truck....

bike rack hanging off the Challenger !??! HAHA !!
I have been using the below rack for three years now on my M3 and there is no evidence of it.

http://www.thule.com/en-us/us/produc...e-9003-_-16002

It is secure, has locks and platform support so no need to strap the bikes down to keep them from swaying. Just make sure the mounting points are clean before hooking it up and the paint will be fine. I can have it on the car in two minutes.

Now, granted the rack costs nearly equal to what the two bikes might run...
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2014, 09:42 AM   #334
Litos
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by scalbert View Post
I have been using the below rack for three years now on my M3 and there is no evidence of it.

http://www.thule.com/en-us/us/produc...e-9003-_-16002

It is secure, has locks and platform support so no need to strap the bikes down to keep them from swaying. Just make sure the mounting points are clean before hooking it up and the paint will be fine. I can have it on the car in two minutes.

Now, granted the rack costs nearly equal to what the two bikes might run...
that looks sick...

$349 ain't bad, but it's still pricey.....

just sent it to my wife - we'll see what she says....
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2014, 09:51 AM   #335
Litos
Banned
United_States
Rep

trying to figure out why that one is more expensive or better than this one: http://www.thule.com/en-us/us/produc...01xt-_-1680829
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2014, 09:56 AM   #336
scalbert
Major General
Rep

The difference is with the platform. The one you linked is free hanging. The one I linked has a platform for the tires to sit in. No potential swaying where it could hit the car.

Look at where the tires sit in the two images:

Appreciate 0
      08-12-2014, 10:59 AM   #337
Litos
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
The difference is with the platform. The one you linked is free hanging. The one I linked has a platform for the tires to sit in. No potential swaying where it could hit the car.

Look at where the tires sit in the two images:

aaahhh ok, I see that now....

do you believe that your bike would sway back and forth if it didn't have the base ??
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2014, 11:27 AM   #338
scalbert
Major General
Rep

Quote:
aaahhh ok, I see that now....

do you believe that your bike would sway back and forth if it didn't have the base ??
People often secure then with bungee cords. But that unit does have anti-sway cages which grab the seat tube. There is still a concern when loading/unloading.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2014, 12:02 PM   #339
Litos
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
There is still a concern when loading/unloading.
makes sense...

bikes would still sway while you're trying to set it on the racks/mounts as opposed to setting it on the platform....
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2014, 12:37 PM   #340
Mr Tonka
is probably out riding.
United_States
Rep
Drives: Something Italian

Quote:
makes sense...

bikes would still sway while you're trying to set it on the racks/mounts as opposed to setting it on the platform....
that lower platform which the tires sit on is paramount for hauling on a nice car. Without it you're almost guaranteed that a wheel, pedal, handle bar, fork, or chain stay will hit your car at some point.

I would recommend sea sucker vacuum mounted bike racks, (great for nice cars) but you would need a quick release skewered front wheel.

08-12-2014, 12:59 PM   #341
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Smog machines

Just use a hitch or roof rack. All others cause damage, no matter how careful you try to be.

I wouldn't put my Schwinn on a Seasucker, much less my good bikes.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2014, 04:22 PM   #342
Litos
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bread View Post
Just use a hitch or roof rack.
are roof racks hard to install ??

I told my wife "imagine our little oopma loompa asses trying to mount bikes on top of our Challengers !?!?"

HAHAHA !!!!
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2014, 04:46 PM   #343
P1
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Tonka View Post
that lower platform which the tires sit on is paramount for hauling on a nice car. Without it you're almost guaranteed that a wheel, pedal, handle bar, fork, or chain stay will hit your car at some point.

I would recommend sea sucker vacuum mounted bike racks, (great for nice cars) but you would need a quick release skewered front wheel.

This makes me nervous just looking at it. Slight temperature change outside and this thing would give way.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2014, 05:15 PM   #344
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Litos
Quote:
Just use a hitch or roof rack.
are roof racks hard to install ??

I told my wife "imagine our little oopma loompa asses trying to mount bikes on top of our Challengers !?!?"

HAHAHA !!!!
Well, the Challenger might be tricky to fit a roof rack on because you typically need a window or door opening to clip into. Plus as you said, raising a heavy cruiser up onto the roof is a bit of a stretch.

Better to do a trailer mount, most cars can run a stealth mount hitch that you would never see until you need to mount the bike rack. As always, no paint contact is best.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2014, 06:48 PM   #345
Mr Tonka
is probably out riding.
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Just use a hitch or roof rack. All others cause damage, no matter how careful you try to be.

I wouldn't put my Schwinn on a Seasucker, much less my good bikes.
Quote:
This makes me nervous just looking at it. Slight temperature change outside and this thing would give way.
Those that haven't used them are the ones typically hating on the Seasucker. They work as advertised. My experience was good and it's difficult to find negative reviews of them. First few times loading up $8k worth of bikes on them was worrisome, but after that there were no worries. Sold it to a friend after acquiring vehicles that the bikes can fit in. He still uses it.

If you don't have a hitch or a roof rack option, this is FAR superior to any bike rack that straps onto a trunk lid.

08-12-2014, 08:59 PM   #346
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep

What's funny is that the 911 and Cayman shown can use direct mount roof racks like my old M Coupe, which is 2,218x better than the SS rack.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2014, 09:53 PM   #347
Mr Tonka
is probably out riding.
United_States
Rep

Quote:
What's funny is that the 911 and Cayman shown can use direct mount roof racks like my old M Coupe, which is 2,218x better than the SS rack.
I would use those as well and did with the M3. They are the perfect design and all auto manufactures should copy the design. I would use them because hey aren't any more difficult to put on and take off than a Seasucker rack but they are lockable.
      08-12-2014, 11:51 PM   #348
P1
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Tonka View Post
Those that haven't used them are the ones typically hating on the Seasucker. They work as advertised. My experience was good and it's difficult to find negative reviews of them. First few times loading up $8k worth of bikes on them was worrisome, but after that there were no worries. Sold it to a friend after acquiring vehicles that the bikes can fit in. He still uses it.

If you don't have a hitch or a roof rack option, this is FAR superior to any bike rack that straps onto a trunk lid.

Do they have a version where you don't have to take the front wheel off? I do not have easy drop outs.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2014, 07:44 AM   #349
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep

One of those pics shows two bikes with thru axles mounted using adapters. Do you have a thru axle or a bolt on?

If you really prefer a tray style mount, I'd still recommend a hitch or roof rack. Even cars that used to be tricky to find racks for, like Boxsters with their central exhaust now offer racks that clip into the tow hook mounts.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2014, 08:40 AM   #350
PSUSMU
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2008 Porsche 911 Carrera S

I was eyeing up this bike, went on Craigslist, and picked up the same one locally for $300 in like new condition.
http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/...ington3_IX.htm
      08-13-2014, 08:50 AM   #351
Mr Tonka
is probably out riding.
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Do they have a version where you don't have to take the front wheel off? I do not have easy drop outs.
I don't think so. I think the lateral stability comes from the forks being attached directly to the vacuum cup.

Quote:
One of those pics shows two bikes with thru axles mounted using adapters. Do you have a thru axle or a bolt on?

If you really prefer a tray style mount, I'd still recommend a hitch or roof rack. Even cars that used to be tricky to find racks for, like Boxsters with their central exhaust now offer racks that clip into the tow hook mounts.
The mini countryman does the same thing. Has 2 tow hook places on the rear bumper. Their rack screws into both spots and is super stable. Of course the rack is something like $1400 though. Only reason we have it is because they screwed up our order and we told them to give us roof racks and the bike rack or we refuse the car. Turns out they didn't want us to refuse the car.

I would opt for the hitch or roof option first as well. I too prefer the tray style of rack. Only reason i went to the sea sucker was because i was only hauling one bike and it was cheaper and slightly easier to deal with than roof racks. I ended up finding a deal on roof racks that i couldn't pass up. ($75 and included rubber floor mats) But i would still only use that when i needed to carry 2 bikes. Putting the roof racks on weren't difficult with one person, but the probability of scratching your roof while doing it with one person goes up quite a bit. With two people it's a snap.
      08-13-2014, 09:00 AM   #352
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep

To be fair, an installed roof rack even with a fairing also impacts your mileage. Mine's pretty quiet, but if it's windy, it still makes some noise. I should probably take it off for road trips without the bike, but those two minutes always seem like too much.
Appreciate 0