BMW
X7 and XM
forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Professional Motorsport Racing Discussion (IMSA, DTM, Formula 1, Grand-AM, Le Mans, IRL, WRC, etc..) Schumacher Suffers Head Injury In Skiing Accident

12-30-2013, 08:29 AM   #23
ajsalida
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 95 M3, 02 R1150GSA, 09 335xi

Plus he received almost immediate top notch care so if it is possible to fully recover he's in the best position to do so. Also he is still very fit and healthy.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2013, 09:19 AM   #24
shahano
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 21' M2C 6spd ,11' 1M, 88' M3

Praying for Michael
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2013, 10:31 AM   #25
954Stealth
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: A Car

Here's a video from the neurosurgeon:
http://www.theguardian.com/sport/vid...=ILCNETTXT3487
There's some other update videos too

and an article today from The Guardian: http://www.theguardian.com/sport/201...ael-schumacher

Sebastian Vettel, left, has lent his support to the family of Michael Schumacher, right, as he fights for his life after a skiing accident. Photograph: KeystoneUSA-ZUMA / Rex Features
The Formula One world champion Sebastian Vettel has revealed his shock at the injury to Michael Schumacher which has left his fellow German in a critical condition in hospital.

Schumacher, a seven-time champion who retired from the sport for a second time last year, is in an induced coma in intensive care at the University Hospital of Grenoble after hitting his head on a rock in a skiing accident in the resort of Méribel in the French Alps on Sunday.

Vettel was dubbed Baby Schumi by the German media after following the 44-year-old in becoming a multiple world champion.

"I am shocked and I hope that he gets better as quickly as possible," the four-time champion Vettel told www.bild.de."I wish his family much strength."

Vettel has credited Schumacher with being the inspiration behind his racing career.

Ferrari, with whom Schumacher won five world titles from 2000 to 2004, expressed their support in a statement on their official website.

It read: "Everyone at Ferrari has been in a state of anxiety since hearing about Michael Schumacher's accident.

"That includes the president, Luca Di Montezemolo, who through the Scuderia team principal Stefano Domenicali is in constant contact with the family and those close to the German champion.

"Montezemolo has offered his encouragement and support at this very difficult time, with the hope that better news will come soon."

The German raced for Mercedes for three seasons on his return to the sport following his first stint in retirement.

The German manufacturer said in a statement that their "thoughts and sympathies" were with him, his family and his friends.

It added: "We have been shocked to learn that he is in a critical condition and are closely monitoring the latest medical bulletins from Grenoble.

"We all know the depth of Michael's fighting spirit and send him all our strength and support in this latest battle. We sincerely hope that he will make a full recovery and will be with us again soon."

Derek Warwick, who raced in Formula One for several years in the 1980s and 90s, and is now president of the British Racing Drivers Club said he believed Schumacher's fighting spirit would help him. "The world of motorsport is holding their breath at the moment, it is a very difficult time for everybody, it makes us realise how vulnerable we are," Warwick said.

"People have to remember that racing drivers, bike riders are a different breed of people, they don't seek danger but we are people that live life to the maximum, I still do to this day and I am 59 years old.

"I do believe he will be ok, I have to believe that because it would be an absolute tragedy to lose Michael under these circumstances. He is arguably one of the greatest drivers of all time, 300-odd Grands Prix, 91 wins, seven world championships, the record speaks for itself.

"He has an unbelievable fighting, spirit that's what makes him a great champion. He is an extraordinarily fit guy with extraordinary depths of concentration, focus and commitment. It's that that will pull him through. I firmly believe and I have to believe this, that he is there now, in a coma, working out the best way to repair himself in the slowest possible way to make him 100% fit at the end of it."
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2013, 10:32 AM   #26
///M Power-Belgium
General
Belgium
Rep
Drives: ///M3-E92-DCT Silverstone II

Latest news from Belgian and German news reports...
He has"several" brain haemorrhages and is fighting for his life !
The surgeon said in French.... this was a high speed accident and without helmet surviving was 0,and even when he will wake up,the big question is in what condition !
Another surgical intervention is no option,sounds not good to me....damn !

BPM DEV-Tune & DCT Software-Tune & Servotronic & coding ///Alpine HID Angeleyes ///Oem.exhaust mod.

Last edited by ///M Power-Belgium; 12-30-2013 at 10:55 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2013, 10:33 AM   #27
Craigy
Sporty Puristic 6
Rep
Drives: '09 M3

Get well soon Schumi!
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2013, 10:58 AM   #28
E46NAQ7
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: None

Started watching him when I was 4 years old in 1996, been my idol ever since, can't even imagine him not being apart of this world, he has a lot more to give. Give us one more blistering stint Schumi!
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2013, 11:54 AM   #29
eleven11
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: -F85 X5M-

Based on the descriptions, it sounds like an epidural hematoma, given a period of lucidness prior to becoming unconscious. A subdural hematoma is also possible. In either scenario, it's rarely a rapid recovery (if recovery is possible).
2011 135i Coupe - Retired
2007 335i Sedan - Retired
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2013, 12:49 PM   #30
E90SLAM
Supreme Allied Commander
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: A BBS WHORE

Garage List
Prayers
      12-30-2013, 01:34 PM   #31
MrRoboto
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: VO 1M

Should this happen wearing a helmet?
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2013, 01:40 PM   #32
///M Power-Belgium
General
Belgium
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRoboto View Post
Should this happen wearing a helmet?
At high speed with head against rock...than the answer is yes !
And without helmet...we all know the answer !

BPM DEV-Tune & DCT Software-Tune & Servotronic & coding ///Alpine HID Angeleyes ///Oem.exhaust mod.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2013, 01:56 PM   #33
MrRoboto
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M Power-Belgium View Post
At high speed with head against rock...than the answer is yes !
And without helmet...we all know the answer !
Just curious. A quick bit of research tells me that typical ski helmets protect up to an impact of 22kmh whereas the average skier clocks in at a speed of 43kmh.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2013, 02:10 PM   #34
ajsalida
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 95 M3, 02 R1150GSA, 09 335xi

Quote:
Just curious. A quick bit of research tells me that typical ski helmets protect up to an impact of 22kmh whereas the average skier clocks in at a speed of 43kmh.
Stats like that are almost meaningless. You can die just falling over backwards with a helmet on. It all depends on impact angles and materials. Catch a back edge on a snowboard going 5 mph and hit a sharp rock you can die with the best gear on.

The doctors treating him already came out and said had he not been wearing his (high-end) helmet he would have died already. Helmets, like a lot of safety gear, are not magic force fields and do not protect from every sort of impact. People still die and/or get severely injured in cars with air bags, for example, even when everything works as it should bad things happen.

Strange to think he has done so many miles in racing cars, even had bad accidents, in a sport which people perceive to be dangerous, yet something like this may take him out.

God speed.

Last edited by ajsalida; 12-30-2013 at 02:53 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2013, 02:33 PM   #35
///M Power-Belgium
General
Belgium
Rep

Quote:
Agreed,but do you realy think that Schumacher was skiing downhill with a speed of 43 km/u ?
Personal i don't think so....he is German,that is to say they skiing all their live,so about more than 35 years when he started about the age of 10 year .
And we all know he loves the feeling of speed,so i think it was a lot faster than 43 km/u for sure !
But in this case there is one word that realy scares me....the word "rock" !
And i realy hope that a legend like he is recovers quickly!

Appreciate 0
      12-30-2013, 02:45 PM   #36
954Stealth
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: A Car

Fast? Definitely seems like it:

"The extent of his head injuries despite the fact that he was wearing a helmet suggested that Schumacher was travelling very fast at the time of the accident on Sunday morning, Mr Payan said. He lost control for reasons unknown while skiing off-piste, between two relatively easy slops, at the exclusive resort of Meribel in the Three Valleys region of the French Alps"
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2013, 02:53 PM   #37
MrRoboto
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M Power-Belgium View Post
Agreed,but do you realy think that Schumacher was skiing downhill with a speed of 43 km/u ?
Personal i don't think so....he is German,that is to say they skiing all their live,so about more than 35 years when he started about the age of 10 year .
And we all know he loves the feeling of speed,so i think it was a lot faster than 43 km/u for sure !
But in this case there is one word that realy scares me....the word "rock" !
And i realy hope that a legend like he is recovers quickly!
I have no idea how fast he was going, I was merely pointing out an interesting stat I found about helmets that I didn't know. No need to make this into more then it is.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2013, 03:11 PM   #38
///M Power-Belgium
General
Belgium
Rep

Quote:
I have no idea how fast he was going, I was merely pointing out an interesting stat I found about helmets that I didn't know. No need to make this into more then it is.
I was just pointing out the reality !

Appreciate 0
      12-30-2013, 03:38 PM   #39
Handozizle
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i

Here's a good article from the former FIA doctor about the extent of Schumi's injury:

Quote:
I’ll admit that I feared an announcement of a second operation for persistently elevated intracranial pressure (ICP), and the fact that that’s not been needed is good.
http://formerf1doc.wordpress.com/201...ss-conference/
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2013, 05:00 PM   #40
rad doc
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 1M AW loaded

Quote:
Originally Posted by eleven11
Based on the descriptions, it sounds like an epidural hematoma, given a period of lucidness prior to becoming unconscious. A subdural hematoma is also possible. In either scenario, it's rarely a rapid recovery (if recovery is possible).
I think that would be best case scenario. But reports are describing "internal bleeding, lesions and contusions". Obviously its all speculation but to me that sounds like there is parenchymal hemorrhage not just extra axial. Makes me concerned even if he survives there will be long term neurologic sequelae.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2013, 08:34 PM   #41
rad doc
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 1M AW loaded

Unfortunately it looks like what I suggested is true. Most recent report from neurosurg says there is "diffuse bilateral hemorrhagic lesions". That sounds like lay for DAI or diffuse axonal injury. Likely very poor outcome. Prayers for his family during this trying time.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2013, 10:03 PM   #42
trucheli
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 F82 M4

Let's All Pray for Michael Shumacher

As a member of the Motorsport community I would like to encourage every member of this community to think for a minute positives thoughts for the recovery of Michael Schumacher. It doesn't matter if you are religious or not, if you like him or not, just thinking about his survivorship will help. The next 48 hrs will determine if he survives or not.
      12-30-2013, 11:03 PM   #43
Lute__
Banned
Rep
Drives: '08 JB M3

Laymen's terms, he's going to be a vegetable. Very sad. If anyone can pull off the miracle it would be him.
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2013, 12:32 AM   #44
shahano
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 21' M2C 6spd ,11' 1M, 88' M3

Come on michael, come on, the world is not ready yet for him to leave.
Appreciate 0