BMW
X7 and XM
forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW X7 (G07) Forums General BMW X7 Forum M60i performance at very low speeds?

11-08-2023, 07:43 PM   #1
tinfoiltuna
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2023 X7 M60i

M60i performance at very low speeds?

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
For those who have driven both the 40i and M60i, do you notice a difference in throttle response at parking lot speeds or immediately off the line (i.e. if trying to cross a busy road)?

I'm asking as I'm considering a trade in for an M60i, but on a very short test drive in a parking lot to wet the appetite(I will do a longer one if I decide to go the M60i route), I noticed the V8 seemed to take its time to respond vs the smaller cousin.

Got home and did some searching and found Joe Achille's YouTube review of the M60i and he notices the same thing.

So - honest appraisal - anybody else notice, and does it cause any issues with being able to drive in a smooth non-lurching fashion for the fam?
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2023, 07:55 PM   #2
Madsen203
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Tesla Model Y

Could it be the hybrid assists more on the 40i off line to give it a bit more thrust? Twin scroll turbo also spins up faster than twin turbo.
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2023, 08:28 PM   #3
lloyd99
lloyd99
Rep
Drives: 2021 X7 M50i

Garage List
2021 X7 M50i  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinfoiltuna View Post
For those who have driven both the 40i and M60i, do you notice a difference in throttle response at parking lot speeds or immediately off the line (i.e. if trying to cross a busy road)?

I'm asking as I'm considering a trade in for an M60i, but on a very short test drive in a parking lot to wet the appetite(I will do a longer one if I decide to go the M60i route), I noticed the V8 seemed to take its time to respond vs the smaller cousin.

Got home and did some searching and found Joe Achille's YouTube review of the M60i and he notices the same thing.

So - honest appraisal - anybody else notice, and does it cause any issues with being able to drive in a smooth non-lurching fashion for the fam?
I have a 2021 X7 M50i. There is a weird intersection near my home. It's hard to see traffic coming from the right. I stop of the stop sign. When I see it's clear in both directions, I press the gas pedal. It always feels like there is a lag before I get acceleration and get going through the intersection. Its more of a light press of the gas pedal at that intersection, as I an go full throttle due to road limitations. I don't "notice" it as much when stopped at a red light, but I'm thinking that's because there's no rush to get going so fast so immediately. When using an on ramp to enter a highway, and I'm creeping along slowly and then punch it when I see an opening, it seems to take off immediately (that is fun and where the v8 makes a difference!). I'm not sure if what you experienced is similar to what I experience daily at that one intersection?
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2023, 08:34 PM   #4
tinfoiltuna
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2023 X7 M60i

Quote:
Originally Posted by lloyd99 View Post
I have a 2021 X7 M50i. There is a weird intersection near my home. It's hard to see traffic coming from the right. I stop of the stop sign. When I see it's clear in both directions, I press the gas pedal. It always feels like there is a lag before I get acceleration and get going through the intersection. Its more of a light press of the gas pedal at that intersection, as I an go full throttle due to road limitations. I don't "notice" it as much when stopped at a red light, but I'm thinking that's because there's no rush to get going so fast so immediately. When using an on ramp to enter a highway, and I'm creeping along slowly and then punch it when I see an opening, it seems to take off immediately (that is fun and where the v8 makes a difference!). I'm not sure if what you experienced is similar to what I experience daily at that one intersection?
This is exactly what I noticed - solely from a stop or very, very slow speed - just a tad bit of lag. My X3 30i has a similar feeling but it's also way down on power. I don't notice this in the 40i or on my old Accord. I would think with the mild hybrid the M60i would behave similarly to the 40i off the line.

Do you notice any lurching or difficulty hitting your targeted speed from a stop in, say, stop & go traffic? Maybe when ADAS is activated?

Anyways, I'll definitely do an extended demo if I decide to go with the M60i. But my biggest concern above anything is... no squeaks, no rattles, no indication that build quality is compromised.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2023, 04:43 AM   #5
Young04
Captain
Rep
Drives: iX, i4 and 392 Wrangler

Funny you should mention this. I test drove the X7 M60 yesterday (looking to replace our 4 year old X7 40i with the M60 or GLS 580) and I noticed it too. However, I daily drive an iX M60 and that's all I've driven in the last 30 days...thus all ICE cars feel like they're slow to react so I chalked up the X7 M60's behavior to me just being used to driving an EV. Will have to see if the Mercedes V8 does the same thing. That's a very disappointing characteristic for something like the M60.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2023, 04:47 AM   #6
MystroX5
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2020 X7 M50i/ 911

Pedal lag?? I have never felt anything but a very smooth linear take off when in Comfort or Adaptive drive mode. If you want ultra snappy and touchy acceleration on the go pedal then “sport” or “sport+” will snap your neck even under toe touching pedal pressure. I am running a V8TT and not a hybrid so I am guessing there might be a power hand off issue between the electric helper engine in the ZF transmission and the V8TT.
Appreciate 1
BMWX735.50
      11-09-2023, 09:16 AM   #7
supdes
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW X7 m60i

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinfoiltuna View Post

Absolute correct observation.
The m60i has a decent lag from pressing the pedal to actually taking off, moreso than all my other cars. In surbuban driving it is not troublesome, but in country driving in which you have merge onto 1 lane road with cars driving 60mph with a short view of sight it is very noticeable. Switching to sport/ sport plus mode decreases that lag somewhat. However not happy with the throttle calibration on the m60i.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2023, 10:57 AM   #8
JJacksonIII
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW X7 M60i

yep, I concur. It can actually be annoying at times. You do get used to it and if you really mash the pedal it will move pretty quickly. And like someone else said, if you put it in sport it doesn't seem to have that lag. Might be a purposefully built-in design feature? Like, you're in comfort mode so we don't want you accidentally slamming your head into your headrest?
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2023, 11:02 AM   #9
isitskisznyet
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW X7, 2022 Audi Q7

Do the XB7 Alpina versions have this issue too? Or are they tuned in a way that makes it less pronounced?
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2023, 10:52 PM   #10
abcsoup
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X7 M60i, X3 M40i

I wonder if they tuned it to be more relaxed. I had driven my X7 for a few weeks straight and then went back to my X3 M40i, and the X3 felt like it was too touchy and felt difficult to modulate both throttle and brakes. Took a minute or two to get reacquainted with the car. Both setups suit the character of each car, and I think putting the X7 into S transmission mode makes it feel much more eager if that’s what you’re looking for.
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2023, 12:50 AM   #11
PinkNinja400Guy
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '22 X7 M50

Big difference in responsiveness between Comfort (Plus) and Sport and Sport+ modes. Car still hauls ass in Comfort+ but it keeps the acceleration super smooth (gradual) even at WOT. Sport+ snaps your head back with even a bit of throttle input.

Pretty sure both of the turbos in the N63 are twin scrolls. I can't imagine the S63 wouldn't have twin scroll turbos.

Mild hybrid probably makes a big difference. I've driven a X5 45e in EV-only mode, it weighs about the same as the X7 and its e-motor is only 100 hp, but the instant acceleration from a stop is still insane compared to what the X7 has. It's objectively slow (again, only 100hp for an almost 6k lbs vehicle), but super responsive and quick to react.

I think the mild hybrid is only something like 20-25 hp? But that's adding on to what the engine is producing in the X7 40i.

Last edited by PinkNinja400Guy; 11-10-2023 at 12:55 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2023, 03:51 PM   #12
Saejin
Captain
Rep
Drives: None

Ah, totally understand what you're feeling. For me, it's happens for a second right when I push the pedal, there seems to be a short lag, almost glitch like. Kinda like the transmission hasn't engaged yet. Happens from a dead stop and when creeping up to a stop sign and you try to roll by it.

So, my fix which is a byproduct of another fix is this.
Since we can't turn auto start/stop off in the M60i, when I come to stops, most of the time I'll drop it into sport mode. So when I take off I'm in sport mode and don't really see this issue.
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2023, 09:25 PM   #13
nvsocr7
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 M50i

My experience is yes there is a bit of lag. The rpm are lower to get more mpg. I have been pushing the shifter down twice to get to the s mode and it’s wayyy better, comfort in s-drive is great. I don’t know if this matters but I had my first service, they did some performance tuning, also improved things. Maybe it’s the timings from factory?
Appreciate 0