E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Door Ding

07-23-2005, 09:11 PM   #45
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 M40i Dark Graphite

The next big reality show idea: Just after you sign the last line on the H2/3, you get knocked over the head and dropped in one of the OPEC nations, and have to figure out how to bring a barrel home with you!!!
How many of the recent H2/3 have you seen witha single speck of dirt on them? They are never going to see any mud or off-roading.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2005, 09:26 PM   #46
evoq
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: beautiful

I think that a good idea is that in shopping malls, restaurants, and stores where you can find cars like Ferraris, BMW, Mercedes Benz, and other high value cars, they would offer 2 park spaces in one at a charge, I would easily pay money to be sure that in that exclusive parking space my car would not have door dings.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2005, 11:02 PM   #47
e90fanatic
Absolute0
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Has a Roundel

Quote:
Originally Posted by evoq
I think that a good idea is that in shopping malls, restaurants, and stores where you can find cars like Ferraris, BMW, Mercedes Benz, and other high value cars, they would offer 2 park spaces in one at a charge, I would easily pay money to be sure that in that exclusive parking space my car would not have door dings.
good idea. Or....have these nets/thin wall in between of all spaces. Hate door dings. I wish it's a crime to ding other peoples' cars.
      07-23-2005, 11:03 PM   #48
e90fanatic
Absolute0
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Has a Roundel

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleWede
The next big reality show idea: Just after you sign the last line on the H2/3, you get knocked over the head and dropped in one of the OPEC nations, and have to figure out how to bring a barrel home with you!!!
How many of the recent H2/3 have you seen witha single speck of dirt on them? They are never going to see any mud or off-roading.
u know what's funny? not that they don't have dirt on H2/3s....i saw some even avoided pot holes! wtf get a SUV/hummer when u can't even take a pot hole?? It wasn't even a big one too..BTW, the H2/3 cannot go off roading. Only the Humvee or H1 can.
      07-24-2005, 01:46 AM   #49
tima
Custom User Title
United_States
Rep
Drives: 330i ZSP/TiAg/Blk

If forced to park in a 'dicey' spot - especially if next to a truck, SUV, or big door coupe, I'll write down the license plate, make and color of the car next to me on a piece of paper and stick it on the inside of my side window so it will be obvious when the person goes to get in their car. Yeah, its kind of a jerky thing to do, but it seems to work.

get off the phone and drive
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2005, 04:03 AM   #50
inline6
Rep
Drives: 330Ci

Quote:
Originally Posted by xspeedy
The best strategy is to find a spot that only alllows one vehicle to touch yours, preferable the passenger side of that vehicle. Most cars only have a driver, so chances are likely the passenger door of that vehicle won't even open. I hug the outside of the spot (careful not to scrape my wheels) to keep as much room from the perp and my car as possible.
I used to think this too - would always park in a right hand end zone, or failing that closer to the left hand sie of my stall thinking it more likely to be dinged by a driver only car. BUT, in 3 years my beautiful e46 coupe has collected 3 dings - ALL ON THE DRIVER'S SIDE, despite these precautions. My conclusion is that drivers are more respectful and careful about dinging someone else's car than passengers, so now I just park in the middle of the stall and pray.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2005, 11:08 AM   #51
cosmosblau
cunning, baffling, powerful
Rep
Drives: '08 BMW 535i

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
I think most often, it's the REAR DOORS which cause the dings. The rear door sometimes comes to a sharper protruding point due the the wheel cutout. Children sit in the back, and have no discretion. They slam the door open whithout any concern.
      12-27-2005, 04:03 PM   #52
natalia
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Not a BMW

So I just got my first door ding today. Went to the mall and couldn't find a safe spot. Got back to my car and there it was on the driver's side rear door, right above the line. I've only had the car for 3 weeks now and have been very careful of where I park before. What sucks is that it is very noticeable! The paint doesn't seem to be screwed but you can see the way the ding shines differently.
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2005, 04:06 PM   #53
peakpro
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: ex-Z4; now looking

Quote:
Originally Posted by natalia
So I just got my first door ding today. Went to the mall and couldn't find a safe spot. Got back to my car and there it was on the driver's side rear door, right above the line. I've only had the car for 3 weeks now and have been very careful of where I park before. What sucks is that it is very noticeable! The paint doesn't seem to be screwed but you can see the way the ding shines differently.

Dent wizard
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2005, 04:21 PM   #54
HRC
MAUI BUILT
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i MT

Garage List
2002 E46 325i  [0.00]
2012 E70 35i  [0.00]
Oh Man!! I'm soo sorry, I fell your pain!!

Danny
Arctic/Blk Leather/Alum.Trim/MT/ZSP/Sunshades/Blk Lines/M3 Illuminated Knob/Alcantara Performance Wheel/M-E-Brake Handle/Euro Fog Switch/Koni Yellows/H&R Sport Springs/19" VMR V718's w/PS2 Tires/M-Tech Body Kit/Carbon Fiber Spoiler/Bimmian Interior Bulbs/OEM Eye Glass Tray/SSK/Alcantara Boot/Split Armrest/OEM Dual Rear Power Outlets/Rear Ashtray Delete/OEM Alum. Pedals/Osram 6000K/Brex Rings/LED Side Markers/BMS Power Box
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2005, 04:32 PM   #55
Yaajer
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: ActiveHybrid 3, X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by CC 330i
Read my response about my friend Fred from another thread, and you might think twice about doing this. This was from the Valet Parking thread:
I don't trust Valet parking.
      12-27-2005, 07:24 PM   #56
One-Way
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Coupe

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
What you should do is park next to nice cars. Everyone who has a nice, new car will be just as careful as you, so just park next to them.
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2005, 09:31 AM   #57
mjh93sa
Major General
Rep
Drives: 530d

Garage List
It happens to most of us at some piont, but it doesn't take away the pain.

My mother is disabled, so whenever I take her out I get to park in lovely wide bays with plenty of room to open the doors. But going to the supermarket is pure torture as the spaces are so close to the shopfront. My Dad's already come out to find a shopping trolley in the front wing of his car. Whenever I go I try and find a space adjacent to a kerb so the car's only vulnerable on one side, and as far uphill as possible.

When on holiday this year my car got dinged in a private carpark, two small dents just below the door handle. First day of the holiday and a couple of small dents and scratches that went throught the topcoat of paint. I was livid for about 48hrs. I got home at about 2am following a midnight ferry and was round the bodyshop at 9 that morning. I could've cried everytime I looked at her . It took three days 'cos they couldn't get to the dents without strippping the door apart (at first they thought they could) and they resprayed both front doors to ensure a good blend. I could have left it, but I just couldn't stand seeing those dents everytime I went out to her.

All you can do is try and minimise the risk when you park. Park next to a hedge, wall or something that stops cars and people getting at one side of the car. Consider any slope if shopping trolleys are around. Pick a well cared for car to park next to, and don't park next to someone who's parked crooked or left lots of steering on.

But what I'll never understand is why when you park in the middle of nowhere, way out from the store, you come back to find at least one car parked next to you, if not two!

Gone: Fiesta - Focus - E46 320dSE - E91 330dMSport - E82 135iMSport - R55 JCW Clubman - M135i
Now: 530d
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2005, 02:07 PM   #58
natalia
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Not a BMW

So I got it checked out by a dent wizard guy and he charged me $100 for a small little dime sized dent. It only took him about 15 min. and you can't even tell there was a dent there. Although there is some minor scratching in the area, but I think it can be polished out. I think it was worth the money cuz now it's no longer bothering me. But now I'm super paranoid about where I park it!
Appreciate 0