BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW X7 (G07) Forums General BMW X7 Forum 2023 X7 40i order placed today

02-10-2023, 09:45 PM   #1
Sp82
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F15 X5/G30 5er

2023 X7 40i order placed today

March allocation. Don’t really care for the updated tech in a 24’ and wanted to avoid paying the price increase.

Week 12 build.

X7 Brooklyn with Silverstone
Msport w 22in 913 wheels (23in individual wheels not available for whatever reason)
Premium pkg

Will be the wife’s daily driver. Her 2020 X5 lease is up in April.

BMW Grapevine. DFW area

Last edited by Sp82; 02-11-2023 at 12:39 AM..
Appreciate 1
TechCTU795.50
      02-10-2023, 10:40 PM   #2
Saejin
Captain
Rep
Drives: None

Nice. Please post up how your experience is with that dealership. Will be moving to Frisco this May and might be looking to put in an order for M “something”…not sure yet.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2023, 12:40 AM   #3
Sp82
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saejin View Post
Nice. Please post up how your experience is with that dealership. Will be moving to Frisco this May and might be looking to put in an order for M “something”…not sure yet.
Moved from Atlanta area 1.5 yrs ago. They have been GREAT. I got my 5 from them in April last year.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2023, 08:11 AM   #4
Saejin
Captain
Rep
Drives: None

Cool. If you want to hook your sales rep up PM his name...if you've used multiple then no worries.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2023, 05:22 PM   #5
Sp82
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Cool. If you want to hook your sales rep up PM his name...if you've used multiple then no worries.

Same one. Will PM you.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2023, 10:11 AM   #6
poldt600
Rep
Drives: BMW

Great ! Can you post pics ?
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2023, 01:58 PM   #7
Sp82
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by poldt600 View Post
Great ! Can you post pics ?
Will do. Hoping to have it by the first week of April.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2023, 03:36 PM   #8
Sp82
Colonel
Rep

Week 12 build, but just saw car started production today. Almost 4 weeks early- is this accurate? Happen frequently?
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2023, 04:08 PM   #9
chicagox7
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 Q7, 07 RDX, 23 X7 40i-soon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sp82 View Post
Week 12 build, but just saw car started production today. Almost 4 weeks early- is this accurate? Happen frequently?
Is it schedule for production or production begins? Mine was in production begins for about 3 weeks before it moved to assembly (went from production begins to assembly starting to QC all just today!). I won’t take delivery for a bit though as I’m doing PCD pick up and couldn’t get down there until the end of March. Will be hard knowing it’s just sitting there waiting!

Also, if you search the forum there is a way to get your actual production date if your tracking along on the website. I have partial instructions below. Also- if you call the genius line they will tell you the exact date it’s set to be made.

Using Chrome, in the my garage site (but not clicked on track your progress) press F12, choice Console Tab and enter all of below: sessionStorage.getItem("production-vehicles")
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2023, 08:36 PM   #10
Sp82
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagox7 View Post
Is it schedule for production or production begins? Mine was in production begins for about 3 weeks before it moved to assembly (went from production begins to assembly starting to QC all just today!). I won’t take delivery for a bit though as I’m doing PCD pick up and couldn’t get down there until the end of March. Will be hard knowing it’s just sitting there waiting!

Also, if you search the forum there is a way to get your actual production date if your tracking along on the website. I have partial instructions below. Also- if you call the genius line they will tell you the exact date it’s set to be made.

Using Chrome, in the my garage site (but not clicked on track your progress) press F12, choice Console Tab and enter all of below: sessionStorage.getItem("production-vehicles")

started production today. Saw it on the online tracker, and my CA confirmed production started today- bmwusa website also showing a vin now
Appreciate 1
TechCTU795.50
      02-15-2023, 09:06 PM   #11
chicagox7
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
started production today. Saw it on the online tracker, and my CA confirmed production started today- bmwusa website also showing a vin now
Got it. Seems well on track to get it to you by early April. Also agree that it is likely not a week 12 build. If you call Genius they’ll day you the week it will be produced. Production started just means a vin has been assigned and they have a production date. It will likely be another couple of weeks before it moves to the actual assembly stage. I called Genius shortly after mine moved to production begins and they told me week 7. I then used the F12 trick on Chrome and it said tomorrow would be it’s production date (the day it rolls off the assembly line). Note the app did not show each step. It ran through a bunch today. It started as production begins. By lunch it was in the assembly process. Mid afternoon it was in QC. I doubt the assembled the body, painted it, assembled the rest of the car and got into QC in a few hours. At least I hope not for the sake of my paint job! Jk.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2023, 09:29 PM   #12
PinkNinja400Guy
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '22 X7 M50

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagox7 View Post
It ran through a bunch today. It started as production begins. By lunch it was in the assembly process. Mid afternoon it was in QC. I doubt the assembled the body, painted it, assembled the rest of the car and got into QC in a few hours.
They probably did

The body is done entirely by robots. Automated lines take in pallets of sheet metal, put it through stamping machines, and weld the body. Doesn't take long. Painting is entirely done by robots.

The assembly line is well planned out. When it comes out of the paint shop, the doors are separated from the car and humans install the windows & interior door panels while the car is getting assembled. All the subcomponents (seats, dash, center console, trim panels, engine, transmission, axles & suspension) are preassembled and they just snap/bolt it into the car with the help of robots to lift the big pieces into place. Once that's all done the bolt the finished doors onto the body. The car is continuously slowly (~2mph) moving down the line the whole time, it never stops while humans are putting in the parts.

Robots attach the windshield and also do most of the job for the wheels.

QC is a pretty quick process, a human drives it onto a dyno in the factory at the end of the line and a computer tells them to accelerate/brake and test buttons/switches & lights. Then they drive over a 20 foot "road" with some artificial bumps and potholes.

I don't know how long it takes for the paint to dry (I think they might bake it after spraying? maybe that helps), but it seems about right for the entire rest of the process to take no more than a few hours.

The Spartanburg factory has two sub-plants, one for the X3/4 and one for the X5/6/7. Together they build >1500 cars per day. That's not really related to the time it takes for a single car to be built, but it comes out to over one car every minute for the whole factory output.

Last edited by PinkNinja400Guy; 02-15-2023 at 09:39 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2023, 10:17 PM   #13
chicagox7
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkNinja400Guy View Post
They probably did

The body is done entirely by robots. Automated lines take in pallets of sheet metal, put it through stamping machines, and weld the body. Doesn't take long. Painting is entirely done by robots.

The assembly line is well planned out. When it comes out of the paint shop, the doors are separated from the car and humans install the windows & interior door panels while the car is getting assembled. All the subcomponents (seats, dash, center console, trim panels, engine, transmission, axles & suspension) are preassembled and they just snap/bolt it into the car with the help of robots to lift the big pieces into place. Once that's all done the bolt the finished doors onto the body. The car is continuously slowly (~2mph) moving down the line the whole time, it never stops while humans are putting in the parts.

QC is a pretty quick process, a human drives it onto a dyno in the factory at the end of the line and a computer tells them to accelerate/brake and test buttons/switches & lights. Then they drive over a 20 foot "road" with some artificial bumps and potholes.

I don't know how long it takes for the paint to dry (I think they might bake it after spraying? maybe that helps), but it seems about right for the entire rest of the process to take no more than a few hours.

The Spartanburg factory has two sub-plants, one for the X3/4 and one for the X5/6/7. Together they build >1500 cars per day. That's not really related to the time it takes for a single car to be [...]
Figured it was a well oiled machine- a little surprised it doesn’t take long to let things cool (the welding) or dry, but then if mostly robots, they likely aren’t ‘touching’ very much and very precise with movements. I’m hopeful I can see it n action when I do PCD though it will be late March and wonder if they’ll be switching over to prepare for the ‘24 build while I’m there.

Thanks for the info!
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2023, 11:02 PM   #14
Sp82
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
They probably did

The Spartanburg factory has two sub-plants, one for the X3/4 and one for the X5/6/7. Together they build >1500 cars per day. That's not really related to the time it takes for a single car to be built, but it comes out to over one car every minute for the whole factory output.

thanks for the update...we'll see what happens here. I've ordered a lot of BMW's in the past, but never had one hit production 2-3 weeks earlier. Seems like April would be late if it does get built soon. Either way, exciting stuff.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2023, 05:29 AM   #15
keg97
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 & X7

Quote:
They probably did

Yes! I took the factory tour in December. It's quite impressive.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2023, 08:51 PM   #16
Sp82
Colonel
Rep

Well here we are a week later and still showing “in production”. Guess it will still be April before I get it since it doesn’t seem to be making progress a week later.
Appreciate 1
EvanX10.50
      02-22-2023, 09:32 AM   #17
davecraze
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2020 X7 & 2022 X5

Quote:
I have purchased two 7s and an X7 from Sewell Grapevine BMW. I cannot recommend them enough, both for sales and service. Have always taken great care of us and there really is an elevated level of service at Sewell dealerships, in my experience.

Folks can also PM me for the name of my normal sales person, if interested. Very easy to deal with and two of my purchases were done without going in to the dealership (this was pre-Covid).
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2023, 01:55 PM   #18
TechCTU
Major
Rep
Drives: 2025 BMW

Quote:
Well here we are a week later and still showing “in production”. Guess it will still be April before I get it since it doesn’t seem to be making progress a week later.
What's the latest? Mine is still in 112 status, at this point it may end up being a 24.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2023, 10:29 PM   #19
Sp82
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TechCTU View Post
What's the latest? Mine is still in 112 status, at this point it may end up being a 24.

Still just “production begins”. My ca says he sees the same except a completion date if 2/28.

23 ends production at the end of March. I’ll miss out on some of the updates but the exterior/interior looks are most important to me, plus saving some $$ on a 23. If in-fact production is complete on 2/28 my guess is I’ll have it by March 10-15 at the latest.

What’s your build week?
Appreciate 0