BMW X7 (G07) Forums General BMW X7 Forum X7 squeaks, rattles, pops

10-05-2020, 07:02 PM   #1
Tinbad
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: X7

X7 squeaks, rattles, pops

After a month of honeymoon with my X7 I noticed my interior isn't very quite. Lots of trim pieces make sounds, especially after the car has been parked outside for a couple hours. It doesn't help that the interior has such good insulation you can hear every pop and rattle.

I can probably learn to live with it as I'm afraid having the dealer remove and trying reassemble some of these trim pieces may leave it in worse shape than it is. Curious to hear if others have same issues but honestly I expected better from a 120k car.

So far I isolated to a few noisy areas:

1. Trim around 2nd row seat HVAC controls (see video)
2. Headrest plastic trim
3. Wood dash trim
4. The sunroof control area trim

I made a video that is slightly exaggerated since I'm pushing but whenever I drive over uneven surfaces little pops and squeaks are audible.

Anyone having same issues by any chance??

Appreciate 0
      10-05-2020, 11:34 PM   #2
ducatiti
Captain
Rep

Hey Tinbad. My dome light does the same thing. Makes an annoying sound when hitting uneven pavement and perhaps when it is cold out.. Only fix for now is by turning the radio volume up. I may bring this up on my first service appointment.

I don't plan to poke around the interior as I only hear one annoying sound.
Appreciate 1
Tinbad141.00
      10-06-2020, 10:27 PM   #3
Tinbad
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Mine is opposite, it seems more noisy when parked outside in the sun and less noisy when parked in shade. Today it seemed really bad, I start the car and immediately the whole dash starts popping and creaking. Only after 10-15 mins into the drive it "popped everything out" and the trim settled.

One of the B&W speakers was blown from
Factory so I need to go back soon to replace and will bring this up with dealer. I can live with an occasional pop but this symphony of pops and creaks seems a bit much for a 100k+ luxury car. My previous S6 was like a vault, even after 50k hard miles. Hell, even our Sienna minivan doesn't pop as much after 90k miles and 10 years of abuse.

This is my first BMW so I hope it's an anomaly but I'm not even sure if dealer can even do anything about it, other than potentially make it even worse... I guess I'll just have to blast the B&W to muffle our the squeaky interior
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2020, 12:56 AM   #4
ducatiti
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinbad View Post
Mine is opposite, it seems more noisy when parked outside in the sun and less noisy when parked in shade. Today it seemed really bad, I start the car and immediately the whole dash starts popping and creaking. Only after 10-15 mins into the drive it "popped everything out" and the trim settled.

One of the B&W speakers was blown from
Factory so I need to go back soon to replace and will bring this up with dealer. I can live with an occasional pop but this symphony of pops and creaks seems a bit much for a 100k+ luxury car. My previous S6 was like a vault, even after 50k hard miles. Hell, even our Sienna minivan doesn't pop as much after 90k miles and 10 years of abuse.

This is my first BMW so I hope it's an anomaly but I'm not even sure if dealer can even do anything about it, other than potentially make it even worse... I guess I'll just have to blast the B&W to muffle our the squeaky interior
That's just too bad. There isn't a day where I don't poke the plastic trim hoping it would "click" back to place lol. Please keep ups posted how the dealership handles these problems. You are right though, the cabin should not make such noise especially at this price point.
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2020, 06:16 PM   #5
812Superfast
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: lots

My x7 has no rattles. It did have air whistling out of the B pillar where the upper seat belt goes in. I pulled the trim off and sealed the head vent where it connects to the passenger vent. All gone now.
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2020, 09:46 AM   #6
Tinbad
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 812Superfast View Post
My x7 has no rattles. It did have air whistling out of the B pillar where the upper seat belt goes in. I pulled the trim off and sealed the head vent where it connects to the passenger vent. All gone now.
I have the same whistle!! It's usually at higher speeds (60+) right?

I was already thinking if I should even bring it up with dealer as it's pretty intermittent so it's good to know it can be fixed. What trim pieces exactly did you have to remove and what sealant did you use?
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2020, 12:08 PM   #7
mitch57
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW X7 xDrive40i

Quote:
I have the same whistle!! It's usually at higher speeds (60+) right?

I was already thinking if I should even bring it up with dealer as it's pretty intermittent so it's good to know it can be fixed. What trim pieces exactly did you have to remove and what sealant did you use?
My guess is that the following SIB will take care of it for you and it's free if the car is still under warranty. https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/20...75279-9999.pdf.

Even if your trim doesn't look as lifted as it is in the picture on the SIB it still applies. I had this issue on my X7 and the trim pieces were just ever so slightly raised. Most people might not even suspect it was an issue by looking at the trim pieces on my X7. It was also intermittent and it sounded more like a harmonic vibration then a hum. However, the dealer performed the SIB and it solved the problem for me.
Appreciate 1
Tinbad141.00
      10-20-2020, 11:11 PM   #8
ducatiti
Captain
Rep

Any update on this Tinbad
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2020, 11:59 PM   #9
Tinbad
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Haven't had time yet to go, I was able though to pinpoint pops/squeaks from these areas to be very consistent:
* occasional tick/pop coming from driver seatbelt / b pillar area
* ticks in steering wheel (sounds like maybe coming from the plastic trim around the steering wheel)
* occasional squeaks coming from 2nd row climate controls (as mentioned above)
* occasional ticks/squeaks from what seems like the the dome light area and behind the infotainment screen (sounds like the B&W center speaker)

Most noises happen in first 10-15 min of driving and/or when going over rough pavement, bumps, etc. and seem to be more profound when car has been sitting in the sun for a couple hours (in 80-90F weather).

The good thing they mostly go away on longer trips so I can probably learn to live with it but still leaves a little sour taste from having dropped so much dough on a luxury item that just doesn't feel as luxury as it should be... I seriously not even sure what the dealer can do other than replacing a bunch of the trim/plastics...(?)
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2020, 11:36 PM   #10
ducatiti
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Haven't had time yet to go, I was able though to pinpoint pops/squeaks from these areas to be very consistent:
* occasional tick/pop coming from driver seatbelt / b pillar area
* ticks in steering wheel (sounds like maybe coming from the plastic trim around the steering wheel)
* occasional squeaks coming from 2nd row climate controls (as mentioned above)
* occasional ticks/squeaks from what seems like the the dome light area and behind the infotainment screen (sounds like the B&W center speaker)

Most noises happen in first 10-15 min of driving and/or when going over rough pavement, bumps, etc. and seem to be more profound when car has been sitting in the sun for a couple hours (in 80-90F weather).

The good thing they mostly go away on longer trips so I can probably learn to live with it but still leaves a little sour taste from having dropped so much dough on a luxury item that just doesn't feel as luxury as it should be... I seriously not even sure what the dealer can do other than replacing a bunch of the trim/plastics...(?)
Wondering if we push the plastic assemblies hard enough, it will lock itself in place? Some have replied in the forum stating those trims do not make any sounds when pushed, unlike ours.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2020, 08:57 AM   #11
Crimsonboz
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW X7

Quote:
After a month of honeymoon with my X7 I noticed my interior isn't very quite. Lots of trim pieces make sounds, especially after the car has been parked outside for a couple hours. It doesn't help that the interior has such good insulation you can hear every pop and rattle.

I can probably learn to live with it as I'm afraid having the dealer remove and trying reassemble some of these trim pieces may leave it in worse shape than it is. Curious to hear if others have same issues but honestly I expected better from a 120k car.

So far I isolated to a few noisy areas:

1. Trim around 2nd row seat HVAC controls (see video)
2. Headrest plastic trim
3. Wood dash trim
4. The sunroof control area trim

I made a video that is slightly exaggerated since I'm pushing but whenever I drive over uneven surfaces little pops and squeaks are audible.

Anyone having same issues by any chance??

Mine is quiet as can be. Sorry you are having issues. I have found the slight fist smack in the right spot does the trick.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2020, 10:57 PM   #12
ducatiti
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crimsonboz View Post
Mine is quiet as can be. Sorry you are having issues. I have found the slight fist smack in the right spot does the trick.
I was pushing hard around the center light dome assembly today. Never thought of a fist smack. Which part did you actually pound on and make it go away? Crimsonboz
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2020, 08:27 AM   #13
Mitul Nadendla
Registered
Rep
Drives: X7 30D x drive

X7 interior noises

Hi guys, Mitul here from India. I bought a bmw x7 30d dpe signature for around 165,000 dollars. The interior squeaks all over the dashboard trim and when its hot and you turn on the ac the dashboard starts popping. Never expected this from a top of the line bmw product. Moreover, my brakes squeal when I come to a full stop and bmw's explanation is the weight of the vehicle. The tpms light keeps going off for no reason. Any tips would be most appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2020, 08:33 AM   #14
MystroX5
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2020 X7 M50i/ 911

I have had zero noises except I had to remove the little folding sunshade in the very rear. It would thump going over bumps and I guess I could have put felt where it flips up but I never use any of the rear shades so I removed both of them.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2020, 12:47 PM   #15
Tinbad
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Update: mine was at the dealer this week for this (and couple other) issues. The techs were able to fix the creaks from the AC vents by putting felt between contact points, however the rest of dashboard and most of the interior trim panels still creak pretty excessively when going over any road imperfections, uneven pavement or bumps. I'm pretty sure this is an outlier and not how BMW designed it.

Given these and other issues I've had since taking delivery (distorted/blown B&W speaker with 3 fixing attempts, vibrating steering column, misaligned exterior trim) I believe my vehicle is edging on being a lemon. Especially after driving an X3 loaner that was 1/3 of the price but had a super solid interior with 0 creaks.

I requested BMW to exchange the car as I truly think mine's an outlier and I still stand by the brand but having so many issues and dealer visits in first 4 months / 4,000 miles does not inspire confidence for the next 5 years I planned to own it and enjoy...
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2020, 01:44 PM   #16
604MIIC
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep
Drives: G07 F82 F87

Sorry to hear about your experience with the x7 and it really puts an edge on me with our new x7.
Drove 30kms and we went back to the dealership to fix a faulty seat belt bucket and malfunctioning driver assistance and sensors.
And now there's excessive wind noise on the driver side window at hwy speed. Super annoying, my m2 comp is quiet without the wind noise at speed.
Needless to say, I'm quite disappointed with it so far considering we paid over $120k taxes in.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2020, 02:05 PM   #17
mitch57
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 604MIIC View Post
And now there's excessive wind noise on the driver side window at hwy speed. Super annoying, my m2 comp is quiet without the wind noise at speed.
There's a Service Bulletin on wind noise that might apply to your vehicle. I had similar issues with mine but on the passenger side. The SIB below solved the problem for me.

Mine didn't even look raised up like the example in the SIB below. But when they replaced both sides my car was dead silent again.

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/20...75279-9999.pdf
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2020, 05:09 PM   #18
604MIIC
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep
Drives: G07 F82 F87

Thanks for the info
But I have found the problem, will update later.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2020, 05:34 PM   #19
Tinbad
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitch57 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by 604MIIC View Post
There's a Service Bulletin on wind noise that might apply to your vehicle. I had similar issues with mine but on the passenger side. The SIB below solved the problem for me.

Mine didn't even look raised up like the example in the SIB below. But when they replaced both sides my car was dead silent again.

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/20...75279-9999.pdf
Yep, I also had the wind noise and mentioned the SIB after you posted it here sometime ago and now waiting for the trim piece to "come from Germany". I was really surprised such a trivial part would come from Germany considering X7's are built here in the US
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2020, 08:06 PM   #20
mitch57
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Yep, I also had the wind noise and mentioned the SIB after you posted it here sometime ago and now waiting for the trim piece to "come from Germany". I was really surprised such a trivial part would come from Germany considering X7's are built here in the US
That is strange. They ordered mine the day I brought it in and the part arrived the following day. So, Im guessing they already used up the current stock available in the US to address this issue. Just an uneducated guess...
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2021, 10:14 PM   #21
ducatiti
Captain
Rep

Hello all. Any new updates or service bulletins for rattles on AC vents? Been waiting for a year now for service due this week. Just wanted to k ow there are any known fixes so i can advise my SA.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2021, 11:11 PM   #22
Tinbad
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ducatiti View Post
Hello all. Any new updates or service bulletins for rattles on AC vents? Been waiting for a year now for service due this week. Just wanted to k ow there are any known fixes so i can advise my SA.
Mine is making noises everywhere, including the AC vents. This is what was done on mine, not sure if there's a TSB or anything.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0