forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW X7 (G07) Forums General BMW X7 Forum Just ordered! M50i

10-16-2020, 11:28 AM   #23
huskerdoc2020
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW X7

Yeah, my wife has a loaded Inscription with Polestar and while really nice, just a different class of car, smaller, but still pretty nice to drive. The B&W in it really shines. I like it also in my X7 but if we are all being real, it is better in the XC90 and it has to do with the subwoofer integration. I wish they had found a place for that on the X7.
Appreciate 1
      10-17-2020, 12:21 PM   #24
Saejin
Captain
Rep
Drives: None

Quote:
Originally Posted by huskerdoc2020 View Post
Yeah, my wife has a loaded Inscription with Polestar and while really nice, just a different class of car, smaller, but still pretty nice to drive. The B&W in it really shines. I like it also in my X7 but if we are all being real, it is better in the XC90 and it has to do with the subwoofer integration. I wish they had found a place for that on the X7.
We almost thought of keeping them both, but just didn't need the space. Our X7 will be the road trip vehicle which the XC90 served in very well until the last trip...just seemed a bit cramped and not as comfortable from when we first bought it. Plus the wife has always wanted the X7. Plus I made the mistake of test driving the M50i so that sealed it.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2020, 01:02 PM   #25
MystroX5
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2020 X7 M50i/ 911

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saejin View Post
We almost thought of keeping them both, but just didn't need the space. Our X7 will be the road trip vehicle which the XC90 served in very well until the last trip...just seemed a bit cramped and not as comfortable from when we first bought it. Plus the wife has always wanted the X7. Plus I made the mistake of test driving the M50i so that sealed it.
This is why I moved up to a X7 from my last G05 X5 50i M-sport. I wanted a full blown luxury/performance vehicle that I can take on our long family road trips without worrying about our luggage space. I could just make the G05 X5 work in luggage space but the lack of the rear seats reclining in the X5 got irritating. I want big luggage space as well as a 1st class 2nd row seating.
Appreciate 1
      10-17-2020, 01:07 PM   #26
Saejin
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MystroX5 View Post
This is why I moved up to a X7 from my last G05 X5 50i M-sport. I wanted a full blown luxury/performance vehicle that I can take on our long family road trips without worrying about our luggage space. I could just make the G05 X5 work in luggage space but the lack of the rear seats reclining in the X5 got irritating. I want big luggage space as well as a 1st class 2nd row seating.
Exactly! The one thing I wish it would have though is the ability to fit 3 adults in the third row. Given the size of this thing I don't see why not. The Honda Pilot can fit 3 in the third.

We did the captains chairs so now limited to 6 adults which works, but sometimes family comes over and we need the ability to seat 7 or even 8. End up taking a second car, but would be nice to pile everyone in one car.

It's not a common need, so we're not going with the bench. The last road trip I did with 8 people in one car was horrible. Just thinking of the occasional trip to the mountains and such.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2020, 01:14 PM   #27
MystroX5
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Exactly! The one thing I wish it would have though is the ability to fit 3 adults in the third row. Given the size of this thing I don't see why not. The Honda Pilot can fit 3 in the third.

We did the captains chairs so now limited to 6 adults which works, but sometimes family comes over and we need the ability to seat 7 or even 8. End up taking a second car, but would be nice to pile everyone in one car.

It's not a common need, so we're not going with the bench. The last road trip I did with 8 people in one car was horrible. Just thinking of the occasional trip to the mountains and such.
We do our Florida winter trips with only 4 but my kids are doing their schooling as we travel and the captains chairs in the X7 is another level of comfort. We can go for a moth sometimes so that’s a lot of luggage. Let alone stuff we buy and sometimes don’t mail it back home so we were stuffed to the top of the rear roof with the X5. When/if we do use the third row, it’s nicer than most mid size SUV’s second row. Now our luggage gets its own sunroof and climate controls.

Appreciate 0
      10-17-2020, 01:25 PM   #28
Saejin
Captain
Rep

^^^ you get my vote for dad of the year ^^^

How do you like the Tartufo interior. We didn't get the B&W, but I'm now thinking of adding it just because I got everything else.
Appreciate 1
MystroX56289.50
      10-17-2020, 01:34 PM   #29
MystroX5
Major General
Rep

Quote:

How do you like the Tartufo interior. We didn't get the B&W, but I'm now thinking of adding it just because I got everything else.
B&W is amazing. Get the B&W if you are already at this level of vehicle.
As far as interior colors, I had ivory Merino in my X5 and it was beautiful as well but you had to stay on top of it with spot cleaning and dye transfer. The Tartufo is so rich in its color but not too dark. I don’t like dark interiors. What I like is the way it’s brown color has different shades/hue in different light. It’s very upscale looking without being fussy with marks like ivory. I highly recommend Tartufo. There was a lot of confusion around this color because it’s hard to get an accurate picture of it because it’s always different with the lighting.

Think “classic Coach brown”
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2020, 01:41 PM   #30
MystroX5
Major General
Rep

Quote:

Guilty little confession: I like sitting back in the second row reclined back watching a movie in the dark with the B&W, sky lounge, smell the ambient air, etc...
It’s “Masters of the Universe” level of vehicle opulence.
Appreciate 1
Wild Blue3683.50
      10-17-2020, 01:43 PM   #31
Saejin
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MystroX5 View Post
B&W is amazing. Get the B&W if you are already at this level of vehicle.
As far as interior colors, I had ivory Merino in my X5 and it was beautiful as well but you had to stay on top of it with spot cleaning and dye transfer. The Tartufo is so rich in its color but not too dark. I don’t like dark interiors. What I like is the way it’s brown color has different shades/hue in different light. It’s very upscale looking without being fussy with marks like ivory. I highly recommend Tartufo. There was a lot of confusion around this color because it’s hard to get an accurate picture of it because it’s always different with the lighting.
I was looking at your earlier posts in another thread when we realized you couldn't get cognac with captains chairs. The dealership only had a X5 with Tartufo, but we couldn't test drive or sit In it as it was already sold. Great pics...really helped us decide on Tartufo over Black.

Can you post some daytime photos of the B&W. My wife isn't quote sold on the looks...she could care less about the sound. It's mostly for me on the long road trips when everyone is passed out.

Also, can you turn off the ambient lighting for the speakers only...seems to be a bit much at night...thoughts?
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2020, 01:56 PM   #32
MystroX5
Major General
Rep

Quote:
I was looking at your earlier posts in another thread when we realized you couldn't get cognac with captains chairs. The dealership only had a X5 with Tartufo, but we couldn't test drive or sit In it as it was already sold. Great pics...really helped us decide on Tartufo over Black.

Can you post some daytime photos of the B&W. My wife isn't quote sold on the looks...she could care less about the sound. It's mostly for me on the long road trips when everyone is passed out.

Also, can you turn off the ambient lighting for the speakers only...seems to be a bit much at night...thoughts?
Yes you can turn off the B&W ambient lighting. You can even just have the speakers in white ambient lighting and the rest of the car in another color. Speaker grills are brushed aluminum and look high end in the day light. Not sure I have a day time pic of the speakers. I’ll check.

The center dash speaker looks significantly better.

Last edited by MystroX5; 10-17-2020 at 02:05 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2020, 06:25 PM   #33
Saejin
Captain
Rep

Just added the Bowers and Wilkins. We’ve got all the other options so why not.

Just wish I could get night vision and then it’d be perfect. Even searched for a 2020 but couldn’t find on. Imma gonna be pissed if they add it back mid year or in 2022.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2020, 10:07 PM   #34
MB21
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW X7 M5.0i

Quote:
I typically hang out in the X3 (G01) forum, but I'm movin on up...still keeping the X3 though...it's the M40i and I love it.

Had a Volvo XC90 T6 Inscription and dropped it off today as part of the deal...M50i is ordered and should be here in in the next 6-8 weeks...probably sooner. Build options at the end of the post.

So if anyone else is thinking of upgrading their XC90 I say don't hesitate and pull the trigger. It's night and day difference. We thought the XC90 was luxury, but then we stepped into the X7. When we bought the XC90 the X7 wasn't out yet and to be honest I wanted a fully loaded X7 M50i if I were to get one...but as I've read here looks like the 2021 MY lost a few options...one of which is the night vision which would have been nice since we're going to use this as a cross-country hauler. We typically put 15-20k miles on a car in a given year.

We loved our XC90 and I would call it simple luxury SUV. It's got a timeless design and great safety features, but lacks in a few areas. The second and third rows don't even have USB ports. The single screen to control everything looks elegant, but gets annoying to use every time you need to change something...give me back my buttons. Seats are amazing, but X7 blows them out of the water now. If you don't get the air suspension the ride is rough when the roads are not perfect. Interior ambient lighting is blah. And it feels cramped to be honest...or maybe the COVID 15 I gained is getting in the way.

And my main gripe...2.0l supercharged turbocharged engine pushing 316hp moving 4400lbs plus passengers and stuff. It works great around town, but get it on the highway moving at 80mph, loaded with 5-6 passengers and everyones stuff...it's working hard to keep things moving and you can hear the whining it makes.

Love everything about the X7 except for the price of course. And the fact you can't get Night Vision now. Massage seats are unbelievable. The engine in this is wicked fast and sounds amazing. I could go on and on and on, but everyone here already knows.

Here's the build...basically every option except for B&W system.
Arctic Grey / 22" M V-Spoke Cerium 755M wheels / Tartufo / Poplar
Cold Weather / Driving Assistance Pro / DHP / Executive / Luxury Seating / Black Calipers / Extended Shadow Line / Leather Dash / Captains Chairs / Trailer Hitch / Space Saver Spare

Was going back and forth on interior color and leather. Wife liked Cognac, but you can't get that in Merino. She also like Coffee, but you couldn't option the Captains Chairs with that color. So we ended up with Tartufo. Arctic Grey was her only choice, but I tried hard to get Carbon Black.
We drove a 40i first, but then an X5 M50i as the dealer didn't have the X7 version. Was a no brainer after I pulled out of the dealership on the test drive.

We don't have small kids, matter of fact one kid is out of the house and the other is close behind. So, why an X7...I say why not. Great road trip vehicle, we're not into the RV life yet, and the motor speaks for itself.

And I saved the best for last, but not a fan. The dealer had an allocation for the Dark Shadow Edition and it was offered to me. So if you're in the market for that let me know...they are trying to sell it, but said they may end up trading it out of state.

I'll post pics when it arrives...hopefully sooner than later. Now off to SwedeSpeed to say goodbye to everyone.
I had XC90 V8 and when I was ready to get new one I tested the T8 and either was not charged or some other issue but I was not thrilled, right then Audi deployed new Q7 so I switched to Q7, it had very impressive driving, much better feel of the road than XC90, however I needed some acceleration excitement and now I have M50i since a year and I am still impressed how easy this car accelerates, I love it.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2020, 03:20 AM   #35
Anmolbains23
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 M40i

Glad I'm not the only one whose thinking of adding the X7 with the X3 M40I lol.

X7 just seems sooooo perfect

Looking forward to seeing pics of your build once in, congrats!
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2020, 11:37 AM   #36
Saejin
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anmolbains23 View Post

Yes, they go well together. Add a Z4 and you're fully covered for any occasion. haha

Now that I think of it, the marketing team at BMW are geniuses. Some think that the each model should have a unique dash/interior, but by keeping things similar throughout the X line of vehicles, they hook. You can look at the X3 as a gateway vehicle to their higher level vehicles, especially the M40i. By driving the X3 for the past year, when I sat in the X7 everything was very familiar. Having the X3 M40i, I just had to test drive the M50i and then I was definitely hooked.

Audi does the same thing as well as Volvo. I'm sure there are a few others out there, but it's a smart way to keep customers loyal. Obviously there is a risk of pushing customers away who don't like it, but BMW nailed the driver experience.

Last edited by Saejin; 10-20-2020 at 11:43 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2020, 04:21 PM   #37
John-M007
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW X5 Comp

2021 M550i

The BMW NA took away the option for soft close doors and rear climate for its 2021 model year. Also, the BMW USA does not allow 2021 model year to receive the TFT front thermostat. If you are in US, you pay more and get less for your M550i. Truly disappointing.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2020, 05:14 PM   #38
Saejin
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by John-M007 View Post
The BMW NA took away the option for soft close doors and rear climate for its 2021 model year. Also, the BMW USA does not allow 2021 model year to receive the TFT front thermostat. If you are in US, you pay more and get less for your M550i. Truly disappointing.
Yep, 2020 X7s are currently the only fully loaded ones you can get if you can find any left.

I suspect the options will come back in 2021.5 or 2022 LCI. The only option I really wanted but couldn't get is night vision. But I'm pretty happy with what's coming next month.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2020, 01:11 AM   #39
Anmolbains23
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 M40i

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anmolbains23 View Post

Yes, they go well together. Add a Z4 and you're fully covered for any occasion. haha

Now that I think of it, the marketing team at BMW are geniuses. Some think that the each model should have a unique dash/interior, but by keeping things similar throughout the X line of vehicles, they hook. You can look at the X3 as a gateway vehicle to their higher level vehicles, especially the M40i. By driving the X3 for the past year, when I sat in the X7 everything was very familiar. Having the X3 M40i, I just had to test drive the M50i and then I was definitely hooked.

Audi does the same thing as well as Volvo. I'm sure there are a few others out there, but it's a smart way to keep customers loyal. Obviously there is a risk of pushing customers away who don't like it, but BMW nailed the driver experience.
Yeah in terms of tech I think it's nice that all the cars now are somewhat similar. Makes it easy on people to move up or down within the brand.

Lucky for me I was a BMW Genius for a 1.5 years, got to drive and compare all current models up to date.
M50I's are amazing, I'm getting really tempted to pull trigger.
Appreciate 0