BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW X7 (G07) Forums General BMW X7 Forum XB7 vs. GLS 63

10-17-2020, 07:48 AM   #1
SteelBMW
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW X7

XB7 vs. GLS 63

Hey guys, I have been waiting to pull the trigger on either the XB7 or a GLS 63. I do have a problem in life with "decision fatigue" and I'm not the type to just pull the trigger and see what happens. So that's a personal problem, but I'm really struggling with which one I want. Maybe someone can provide some personal opinions and feedback that can help me make up my mind?

I'm currently searching youtube daily filtered by recent upload to hopefully find an unbiased review of an actual test drive of the XB7 compared to the GLS 63, but so far, it doesn't exist. Hopefully soon.

I was able to test drive the GLS 63 and it was just fantastic. Really an awesome vehicle. The interior feels really good, luxurious, the handling is tight, sport+ is awesome. Very tiny lag, it just feels great. I honestly don't have any complaints about the GLS 63 as far as handling and performance goes. The exterior is OK, I think I like the XB7 more, but I don't hate the GLS 63. The monoblock wheels I can't decide if they look "short bus" or if they're cool. I think if anything, the silver ones might be more unique than the blacked out ones. Not sure.

I was able to sit in the XB7, but wasn't able to drive it (it was custom ordered for a client). So I don't have a full comparison at all regarding handling and driving experience. Of course, I've driving the m50i and it was very good, so I will assume the XB7 drives great, but still, I can't side by side compare it to the GLS 63 which sucks.

I've watched literally all of the reviews out there on both cars, driven all the models I could, and I still just don't know.

Here are some of the things holding me back:
1) XB7 wheels being greyed out looks terrible. It makes no sense. Even if you got the shadowline trim, there are still chrome accents all over that don't get the shadowline treatment, and those grey wheels, in my opinion, clash terribly. I cannot grasp why this is the only option. There should be the silver finish option like on the B7. That would look EPIC with giant 23"s plus the chrome trim. But it just looks like random craigslist aftermarket wheels that don't match the vehicle.

2) I think the GLS 63 has a more luxurious interior. I think it feels more robust and comfortable. It is more spacious as well - fact - more space behind driver seat by about 1-1/2" to 2" when the driver seat is all the way back (where I would set it).

3) The GLS 63 has a better looking dash/display. However, from the reviews I've seen, I think the X7 with the dial instead of touch pad seems faster and more responsive. Also, I see that on the BMW google maps opens up full screen and on the Mercedes it does not. That's big since I at least live with my map on (and having a big satellite display makes me happy, I can't explain that, sorry).

4) Mercedes customer service is my worst nightmare. I literally hate all of their sales people, they are lying cheating thieves (I have had dozens of Mercedes Sprinters and other personal vehicles, and it's always a terrible experience. They're awful). BMW, especially the giant dealer near me, has top notch customer service. They're fantastic. Great facility, great people, always take care of you. I'm just not sure how much weight I should into this, so it honestly isn't swaying my decision one way or the other.

5) The interior of the XB7 I wish had a little more something unique. I get it, we have some Alpina logos. But beyond that it's pretty much the X7. The green and blue stitching on the steering wheel looks completely random and out of place to me. It doesn't even match the Alpina logo. I don't get it at all. Also, steering wheel options and design on the XB7 compared to the GLS 63 is a big strike. The GLS 63 steering wheel options are vastly superior, and I love being able to switch modes by the small dial on the steering wheel, XB7 doesn't have this.

6) Alpina Blue is gorgeous, and with the ivory interior (or maybe the blue/white mixed?) would look so sexual. But am I really going to pick which one based on exterior color? The GLS 63 color options are all meh. I would probably just go with a metallic white and call it a day. Maybe that would look good with the silver monoblock wheels - or it'll look like special ed and I'll regret it.

So, after typing all of this, FML and I can't decide at all what to do. I'm really hoping someone says something that makes sense and can help me steer one way or the other. I have to order one this year, I still won't receive either of them until about March so I want to get the decision made soon.

Note: Honestly, if XB7 had the brighter silver wheels instead of these terrible clashing/dirty grey ones, I think it'd be an instant buy. But as is, it just looks so after-market mistake-y to me.
Appreciate 2
cncmastr1579.00
      10-17-2020, 07:58 AM   #2
LittleJoe
Major
Rep
Drives: 2023 EQS 580 SUV

I posted these pics of GLS 63 that showed up at my local MB dealership a few weeks ago. The interior is attractive but the exterior is kind of boring IMO. But I'm sure owners love it just the way it is.

Here is a like to the pics I posted previously:

https://g07.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...0&postcount=91
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2020, 08:00 AM   #3
SteelBMW
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleJoe View Post
I posted these pics of GLS 63 that showed up at my local MB dealership a few weeks ago. The interior is attractive but the exterior is kind of boring IMO. But I'm sure owners love it just the way it is.

Here is a like to the pics I posted previously:

https://g07.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...8;postcount=91
Thanks, I was up close with it and drove it myself. I agree about the exterior.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2020, 08:18 AM   #4
BMWBear
Ultimate Driver
United_States
Rep
Drives: N/A

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelBMW View Post

Note: Honestly, if XB7 had the brighter silver wheels instead of these terrible clashing/dirty grey ones, I think it'd be an instant buy. But as is, it just looks so after-market mistake-y to me.
Really ? Just have them powdercoated to the color of your choice. Don’t give me the ...I want it to be exactly the way I want it from the factory excuse.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2020, 08:30 AM   #5
SteelBMW
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYEIL View Post
Really ? Just have them powdercoated to the color of your choice. Don’t give me the ...I want it to be exactly the way I want it from the factory excuse.
I'm not a mr. fix it type guy, so I don't know what you can do with those. So I can take these grey suck wheels and have them coated to have the bright silver finish similar to the B7 wheels? That would look sweet with the chrome.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2020, 08:57 AM   #6
MystroX5
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2020 X7 M50i/ 911

I don’t find the interior of the GLS 63 that special at all. It’s very “E class” feeling. Both S class and 7 class can be made or broke with how it is optioned out so make sure you are comparing apples to apples. The Merino leather in the BMW is much more premium feeling than what the GLS 63 offers. I find MB premium leather package very mid grade feeling in quality.

I suspect you really want a fully optioned BMW interior. The ALPINA option interior is only as good as the additional options you add on to it. Don’t discount the extra options as that is what pushes it into the “special” feeling. Smelling ambient air for example sets a tone and attitude that no amount of ambient lighting can achieve. It’s all about the total experience.

FYI: I also know of this particular GLS 63 above in the link in PA. It’s the most boring $130k of SUV I have seen in a long time.

Last edited by MystroX5; 10-17-2020 at 09:11 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2020, 09:04 AM   #7
BMWBear
Ultimate Driver
United_States
Rep
Drives: N/A

Quote:
I'm not a mr. fix it type guy, so I don't know what you can do with those. So I can take these grey suck wheels and have them coated to have the bright silver finish similar to the B7 wheels? That would look sweet with the chrome.
You can have them powdercoated any color you want and the finish will be more durable then the stock finish. I’m sure the dealer can arrange to get them coated and the cost will be 500-800. You can have it all done before you take delivery. Personally it’s exactly what I would be if I was to buy a XB7.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2020, 09:07 AM   #8
SteelBMW
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MystroX5 View Post
I don't find the interior of the GLS 63 that special at all. It's very "E class" feeling. Both S class and 7 class can be made or broke with how it is optioned out so make sure you are comparing apples to apples.
I suspect you really want a fully optioned BMW interior. The ALPINA option interior is only as good as the additional options you add on to it. Don't discount the extra options as that is what pushes it into the "special" feeling. Smelling ambient air for example sets a tone and attitude that no amount of ambient lighting can achieve. It's all about the total experience.
I don't think the GLS is so special on the interior, I just think it has a little more of a big comfortable leather couch feeling to it, whereas the XB7 has a sleeker minimalist modern furniture flare to it. Just my $0.02. And the GLS has the fragrance air as well.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2020, 09:13 AM   #9
SteelBMW
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYEIL View Post
Quote:
You can have them powdercoated any color you want and the finish will be more durable then the stock finish. I’m sure the dealer can arrange to get them coated and the cost will be 500-800. You can have it all done before you take delivery. Personally it’s exactly what I would be if I was to buy a XB7.
I didn't realize they could powder coat to make it look like a bright metal finish. I always figures powder coat was for colors that looked like paint mainly. Great to know, I'll ask the dealer and see if they can get me color samples.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2020, 09:52 AM   #10
stein_325i
Ring Leader of G8X Haters
No_Country
Rep
Drives: A Car

SteelBMW If I remember correctly from your other thread you already have an X7 M50i for your spouse, correct? If so, I imagine many of the changes to the XB7 in regards to the driving experience likely emphasize comfort overall, although I could be wrong as I haven't driven one. It likely won't be very different from your current M50 other than more comfort and some small design changes, so that can be both good and bad.

I haven't had any issues with MB customer service, however I also have a dealer in which I know the GM of from high school, so that helps. Do you have any other MB dealers nearby? I would think dealership and service experience/relationship would be very important if needed (especially if keeping long term).

I would go with whichever one you like more, and maybe try seeing if any dealers have an XB7 available to test drive to help you out.

Good luck with the decision
      10-17-2020, 09:53 AM   #11
SteelBMW
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstein55 View Post
SteelBMW If I remember correctly from your other thread you already have an X7 M50i for your spouse, correct? If so, I imagine many of the changes to the XB7 in regards to the driving experience likely emphasize comfort overall, although I could be wrong as I haven't driven one. It likely won't be very different from your current M50 other than more comfort and some small design changes, so that can be both good and bad.

I haven't had any issues with MB customer service, however I also have a dealer in which I know the GM of from high school, so that helps. Do you have any other MB dealers nearby? I would think dealership and service experience will be very important down the line (especially if keeping long term).

I would go with whichever one you like more, and maybe try seeing if any dealers have an XB7 available to test drive to help you out.

Actually, she is going to get either the m50i or the GLS 580 depending on which one I choose. So that isn't really pushing me one way or the other (unfortunately).
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2020, 09:58 AM   #12
stein_325i
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

I haven't had any issues with MB customer service, however I also have a dealer in which I know the GM of from high school, so that helps. Do you have any other MB dealers nearby? I would think dealership and service experience will be very important down the line (especially if keeping long term).

Actually, she is going to get either the m50i or the GLS 580 depending on which one I choose. So that isn't really pushing me one way or the other (unfortunately).
Ah, well then, I recommend you go with whichever one you feel more comfortable with and overall like more. Hopefully you can find a dealer with an XB7 to drive, but I would think there are very few. Maybe try seeing if you can get the GLS for an extended test drive to see if you really want that over the X7. Honestly both are great vehicles, just depends on your preferences.
      10-17-2020, 10:31 AM   #13
SteelBMW
Private
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Ah, well then, I recommend you go with whichever one you feel more comfortable with and overall like more. Hopefully you can find a dealer with an XB7 to drive, but I would think there are very few. Maybe try seeing if you can get the GLS for an extended test drive to see if you really want that over the X7. Honestly both are great vehicles, just depends on your preferences.
I know, and this is brutal. It's a big purchase so I want to pick the "right" one. I really want to like the Alpina more. Especially in the Alpina Blue I think it is going to look so epic. Just a couple things are hard to look past. And the fact that u can't drive it - and there are reviews on it by real good car people. There is one that some kid did on YouTube last week but it is terrible, just him reading specs basically. He also has no comparison or opinions it's just not a good video to make any extrapolations over.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2020, 11:22 AM   #14
stein_325i
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I know, and this is brutal. It's a big purchase so I want to pick the "right" one. I really want to like the Alpina more. Especially in the Alpina Blue I think it is going to look so epic. Just a couple things are hard to look past. And the fact that u can't drive it - and there are reviews on it by real good car people. There is one that some kid did on YouTube last week but it is terrible, just him reading specs basically. He also has no comparison or opinions it's just not a good video to make any extrapolations over.
I thought Alpina/Individual specific colors were unavailable to the XB7? Configurator only lists Tanzanite for blue.
      10-17-2020, 12:16 PM   #15
LittleJoe
Major
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I thought Alpina/Individual specific colors were unavailable to the XB7? Configurator only lists Tanzanite for blue.
Alpina Blue and Dravit Grey are now available, the Configurator is not up-to-date.

https://www.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...php?p=26773262
Appreciate 1
stein_325i25076.00
      10-17-2020, 12:17 PM   #16
SteelBMW
Private
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Alpina Blue and Dravit Grey are now available, the Configurator is not up-to-date.

Are there any other additions or new things aside from just the colors?
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2020, 12:25 PM   #17
stein_325i
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

That's great, I would love to see Alpina Green be added, and some proper silver rims.
      10-17-2020, 12:29 PM   #18
MystroX5
Major General
Rep

Quote:
That's great, I would love to see Alpina Green be added, and some proper silver rims.
That would be perfect for a ALPINA model the size of the X7. Rich dark green metallic with Tartufo interior. It would be amazing.
Appreciate 1
stein_325i25076.00
      10-17-2020, 12:41 PM   #19
LittleJoe
Major
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
That would be perfect for a ALPINA model the size of the X7. Rich dark green metallic with Tartufo interior. It would be amazing.
I agree the XB7 would look great in Alpina Green.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-17-2020, 12:50 PM   #20
MystroX5
Major General
Rep

Quote:
That is just “money” in a halo vehicle the size of the X7. So classy and smart. BMW does a amazing blue in their line up but I think they really missed a huge opportunity not releasing the ALPINA in metallic green as a launch color. They may/might be holding back and it will come on a later release. Release this combo in a rear limo lounge chair edition for $180k and it would be huge.

Last edited by MystroX5; 10-17-2020 at 12:55 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2020, 01:09 PM   #21
SteelBMW
Private
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
That is just "money" in a halo vehicle the size of the X7. So classy and smart. BMW does a amazing blue in their line up but I think they really missed a huge opportunity not releasing the ALPINA in metallic green as a launch color. They may/might be holding back and it will come on a later release. Release this combo in a rear limo lounge chair edition for $180k and it would be huge.
I read somewhere Alpina Green is coming in 2021 summer allocation. 2020 December allocation is the Alpina Blue and the grey.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2020, 01:43 PM   #22
fkim119
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 17 Porsche Panamera Turbo

Quote:
I read somewhere Alpina Green is coming in 2021 summer allocation. 2020 December allocation is the Alpina Blue and the grey.
Alpina Green is coming in 2021.

Regarding the steering wheel stitching, that is part of its homage to its history. Not a lot of people on here know about the history of Alpina and it's drive philosohy and drive cues. They try to retain reliablity, keep the luxury and strengthen the weaker areas of anything they touch. It might not be drastic but it has been proven over and over again how reliable they are.

I have driven the GLS 63 and it drives wonderful. I'm not a fan of the infortainment system over the BMW. If I didn't have such unpleasant experiences with my AMG's, I probably would of got one over the Alpina I ordered. That is being honest.

My Alpina XB7 will be here in 3 weeks. I will be able to compare this to my ownership in the W12 Bentayga, 2019 Cayenne Turbo, and Audi SQ8.

I want to love MB's and AMG's in general but I've had such terrible experiences with them.
22' Porsche Cayenne Turbo
24' Porsche GT4RS on order
Appreciate 2
LittleJoe1064.00
MystroX56283.50