F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Cosmetic Maintenance: Wash, Wax, Detailing, Repairs > which shampoo for contact washes?
ARMA SPEED

05-28-2023, 09:44 AM   #1
Infinite0180
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW 430i

which shampoo for contact washes?

Hello, recently picked up an 18 f36. I have a pressure washer and foam lance. I used Carpro Hydro2 Foam and its great but i want a shampoo for contact washes that i dont need to feel rushed to get off the car? Whats your favorite snow foam? Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2023, 04:22 AM   #2
Skyhigh
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW F36

I am confused...

Are you looking for a car-foam or a shampoo?

Normally you should pre-wash with car-foam and HDR (contactless). Thereafter (if required) you use a shampoo using the 2-bucket method (contact-wash). The 2 products are typically different. Of course you can use a shampoo as car-foam, but that's sort of useless... The idea of the pre-wash product is that it needs to be a bit more aggressive and even enable a contactless wash, if your car is not too dirty or in the winter.

You should never just spray foam and start rubbing, as you will scratch the paint with the debris still stuck to the car.

Last edited by Skyhigh; 05-30-2023 at 06:27 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2023, 08:58 AM   #3
Infinite0180
Enlisted Member
Rep

So theres no product i can cover the car in with the foam gun and use the two bucket method with to wash? All these foam products are just a prewash?
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2023, 09:30 AM   #4
Skyhigh
Brigadier General
Rep

Again - why would you do so?

Foam is intended for pre-wash! You want to take it off with maximum amount of dirt before you even touch the car!

You put the shampoo in the bucket, not on the car.

You can also use shampoo for foam, as pre-wash, but there are more suitable products intended specifically for pre-wash, which are typically more aggressive than car shampoo.

There are also ph-neutral foam products like the one from Valet Pro, but in my experience it is only good for show, it’s cleaning power is miserable. I still have a canister from 6-7 years ago - only used twice …
      05-30-2023, 09:56 AM   #5
Infinite0180
Enlisted Member
Rep

Ok got it. So how about this. Prewash with foam lance using Carpro Reset and rinse with powerwasher. Then can i use more Carpro Reset in bucket for contact wash?
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2023, 10:39 AM   #6
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 328iX GT

IME using a foam is a waste of time if you don't touch the car, it won't leave the car clean. If there's a lot of crud on the car I'll power wash first to get the worst of it off. I then use Optimum No Rinse Wash and Shine to clean the car. I have found a use for my foam lance. I use it on the vinyl siding of my house.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2023, 05:20 PM   #7
Skyhigh
Brigadier General
Rep

Very much disagree.
With the right product, foaming + power-washing removes 50-90% of the dirt from my own experience. Yes - the car will never be as clean as a contact wash, but:

1. In-between full washes, contactless washes with foam and pressure-washer are all you need to keep the car clean longer. Especially when the car is simply dusty, auto-foam and PW gets it back to 98% clean condition.

2. In the winter when it is cold and unsuitable for a full wash, a contactless wash with a good car foam does a great job for a fraction of the time and no ice-cold hands.

3. In advance of a hand-wash, a good foam product lifts most of the “less stubborn” dirt and elements, dissolves some of the tar and detaches some of the iron particles. Consequene - lower risk of micro-scratches during the hand-wash.

On average during the year I do 60% touchless washing with foam and power washer only and 40% of the latter plus a full hand wash. I typically do one to two extensive washes including tar removers, ironX (and clay bar, in very extreme cases), followed up by wax renewal.
      06-02-2023, 02:27 PM   #8
jamborees
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW 340i Touring

Fan of the snowfoam prewash too. I’ll pop that on first on to a dry car, leave it at least 5 mins, gun it off and then it’s on to the two bucket method. I find that after the pre-wash it doesn’t need too much, especially in the summer/drier conditions
Appreciate 1
Skyhigh1923.00