BMW
X7 and XM
forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Professional Motorsport Racing Discussion (IMSA, DTM, Formula 1, Grand-AM, Le Mans, IRL, WRC, etc..) Formula 1 Grand Prix Du Canada 2014

06-09-2014, 02:01 AM   #111
ashtaron14
Major
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: G80 M3

I was glad that I woke up to watch such an exciting race (2am-4am local time)
      06-09-2014, 02:13 AM   #112
SenorFunkyPants
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2019 M5

Really pleased for DR, he seems like a really great guy...he is definitely the surprise of the season, I never had him down as being so quick, he didn't impress as much last year in the TR at least not in the first half of the season..
NR got a final warning for jumping the last chicane which seemed fair given that Lewis wasn't in a position to make a pass. It was a shame for LH going out, those last few laps would have been even more of a hoot if everyone had been catching two ailing Mercs (without their KERs system).
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2014, 02:17 AM   #113
jonasaurus
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 [Sold]

Last 15-20 laps were amazing, so happy for RIC to get on the top step despite it being enabled by the power issues ROS and HAM had.

First F1 race win by an Aussie since WEB in 2012 Silverstone!
      06-09-2014, 09:48 AM   #114
E90SLAM
Supreme Allied Commander
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: A BBS WHORE

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashtaron14 View Post
I was glad that I woke up to watch such an exciting race (2am-4am local time)
I should have come visit you while I was in HK two weeks ago, so I can watch Monaco GP.
      06-09-2014, 12:44 PM   #115
solstice
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by E90SLAM View Post
I was actually furious and screaming when I heard "no penalty", this is not small infractions like crossing the pit-entry white line in Brazil.

He lost the corner under pressure and delibrately took the escape route and gunned the throttle, gaining more than half a second.

How is that NOT gaining an advantage? To me is a clear cut sporting infraction.

Nico lost the corner, he should simply lift the throttle when he was off track. If it was gravel, he would crash already! Paved escape zones are not for him to put full power there. It was designed to give a the ones who made a mistake a second chance, but the driver must lose some sort of advantage.
Absofreakinglutely. I can't understand how any racing fan can say that a warning is a fitting ruling here. If this was anything but a straight line paved escape route the race would have been over for Nico. He overcooked the entry and massively locked up. If it was barriers he would have crashed, if it was a sand pit he would have been stuck, if it was grass he would have spun. To just give up the lead would have been a huge gift and a bit less so would a drive through penalty. A warning is pure contempt for the sport.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2014, 02:52 PM   #116
E9TOU
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 E92 335i

Garage List
Holy shitake Vettle was so lucky he didn't get hit by Massa in that crash! Glad both drivers are ok.

Bummed LH got another DNF, he's encountered some bad luck lately. Props to RB for capitalizing on Merc's mechanical problems. Well deserved win to DR.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2014, 05:18 PM   #117
E90SLAM
Supreme Allied Commander
Hong Kong
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by E9TOU View Post
Holy shitake Vettle was so lucky he didn't get hit by Massa in that crash! Glad both drivers are ok.

Bummed LH got another DNF, he's encountered some bad luck lately. Props to RB for capitalizing on Merc's mechanical problems. Well deserved win to DR.
Extremely bad luck for LH.
Two DNF while he did nothing wrong at all this season. (If my memory serves me right. LOL!!!)
And able to beat Nico fair and square on the track.

While NR was lucky to get away with a few mishaps and borderline cheating IMO.
And nico has not beat LH on the track yet this season.

Australia - LH retired.
Monaco - LH was unlucky on the final stages of Q3. Although I kinda believe it was a genuine mistake on Nico's part. That set P1 and P2 on Sunday where overtake is nearly impossible on two identical cars.
Canada - LH retired again.
      06-09-2014, 07:38 PM   #118
GTB/ZR-1
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Pending...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petros View Post
alonso never stops talking trash about his team and his car every single weekend. it was bad enough to make Luca Di Montezemolo publicly ordering him to shut up last year.
Can you blame him? They're eating up his prime GP years w/ mediocre cars, unlike the Schumi era when they had the best package...

And if you think they need a driver mod--just take a look @ his WC teammate's results so far--and he won the WC w/ Ferrari!

He may not be the absolute fastest driver, but he has more grit than anyone out there.

Just my .02

Good on RIC!
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2014, 09:23 PM   #119
ashtaron14
Major
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: G80 M3

Quote:
I should have come visit you while I was in HK two weeks ago, so I can watch Monaco GP.
Actually, I was busy getting married on May 25th (Monaco GP Sunday), and then I flew back to Vancouver for 10 days right after for my Honeymoon. I only got back to HK last Friday, so having Jet Lag helped waking up to the Canadian GP.
      06-09-2014, 09:43 PM   #120
Petros
Banned
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTB/ZR-1 View Post
Can you blame him? They're eating up his prime GP years w/ mediocre cars, unlike the Schumi era when they had the best package...

And if you think they need a driver mod--just take a look @ his WC teammate's results so far--and he won the WC w/ Ferrari!

He may not be the absolute fastest driver, but he has more grit than anyone out there.

Just my .02

Good on RIC!
well, schumacher helped develop the car into the best package. it's not like schumi was magically gifted a fast car. when he joined, ferrari were total rubbish.

by the way, Alonso did have the best car back in 2007. Remember what happened? His rookie teammate gave him a royal spanking, and Alonso threw a tantrum and tossed his toys out of the pram. He sold out his team to the FIA and cost them the constructor title because they didn't wanna slow down Hamilton and give Alonso #1 status. What a great guy!
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2014, 07:59 AM   #121
GTB/ZR-1
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Pending...

Could it be that he was the WC & Dennis' new rookie golden boy got preferential treatment & he was treated like a red-headed stepchild, maybe? Lol

Not here to debate this, but I think anyone with those creds (and not a defined #2) would feel similarly...
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2014, 09:29 AM   #122
five_timer
no turbo, no auto, no iDrive, no kidding
United_States
Rep
Drives: 128i convertible

Quote:
Extremely bad luck for LH.
Two DNF while he did nothing wrong at all this season. (If my memory serves me right. LOL!!!)
And able to beat Nico fair and square on the track.
While NR was lucky to get away with a few mishaps and borderline cheating IMO.
And nico has not beat LH on the track yet this season.
You can't just conveniently ignore the Monaco race to fit your theory. There were pit stops and other opportunities for Hamilton to get ahead. And Rosberg outqualified HAM in Canada fair and square. Plus, it was because of the better Q3 qual lap by ROS in Monaco that HAM was ultimately at the mercy of ROS in the final moments.

As for Hamilton's bad luck, he's had a little, but it's part of the sport to have breakdowns, and get taken-out by other cars. Raikkonnen's entire career with McLaren was just one long run of bad luck.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2014, 09:34 AM   #123
SenorFunkyPants
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by five_timer View Post
You can't just conveniently ignore the Monaco race to fit your theory. .
I think you can...that was a pretty shabby move by Rosberg.
It was bad enough that his "off" looked so completely contrived, but then to reverse back up to the entrance of the escape road to make sure the yellow flags didn't get pulled for Hamiltons fast lap was too much.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2014, 09:37 AM   #124
SenorFunkyPants
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTB/ZR-1 View Post
Could it be that he was the WC & Dennis' new rookie golden boy got preferential treatment & he was treated like a red-headed stepchild, maybe?
They both had the same car and the same opportunities, LH just made better use of them. A newbie out racing a WC is a pretty rare event especially when the WC is of Alonso's caliber.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2014, 09:48 AM   #125
E90SLAM
Supreme Allied Commander
Hong Kong
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashtaron14 View Post
Actually, I was busy getting married on May 25th (Monaco GP Sunday), and then I flew back to Vancouver for 10 days right after for my Honeymoon. I only got back to HK last Friday, so having Jet Lag helped waking up to the Canadian GP.
Congratulations!!!
      06-10-2014, 10:02 AM   #126
E90SLAM
Supreme Allied Commander
Hong Kong
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by five_timer View Post
You can't just conveniently ignore the Monaco race to fit your theory. There were pit stops and other opportunities for Hamilton to get ahead. And Rosberg outqualified HAM in Canada fair and square. Plus, it was because of the better Q3 qual lap by ROS in Monaco that HAM was ultimately at the mercy of ROS in the final moments.

As for Hamilton's bad luck, he's had a little, but it's part of the sport to have breakdowns, and get taken-out by other cars. Raikkonnen's entire career with McLaren was just one long run of bad luck.
I kinda get what you mean. That's why I said what NR did in Monaco Qualifying was borderline shady IMO. But the timing, location, and consequences was just too coincident and perfect for him.

Especially on a track where overtake is nearly impossible on identical car, and ROS can just copy and cover HAM pit strategy. Keep in mind "normally" the car ahead can have the call to pit first or later.

Its just all these combined cutting corners and floor it gave me a bitter taste, he is quite desperate to win with "any cost".

For those know me and my comments in the past several years here, have been quite fair enough and stick to the facts. So I'm not bias to LH solely, and just based on the actions and impressions drivers gave.

Anyhow, there's still lots of races to go. Things will happen to HAM is possible to ROS either. Having said that, without car problems, Mercedes are still way ahead of the pack at the moment.
      06-10-2014, 10:20 AM   #127
KingOfJericho
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Yes

Garage List
2010 135i Coupe  [5.26]
The US broadcasters had the "no penalty" pegged when they said that the stewards had not enforced it on other cars further back in the race and therefore would not have grounds to enforce it at the front. It has to be enforced across the board or not at all. Drivers overshoot corners with regularity are are never penalized for it. It was lucky that there wasn't a wall but luck works both ways. Vettel was also very lucky he wasn't lanced by Massa's missile of a car. That could have been REALLY bad.

2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee High Altitude Hemi | 2010 S4 Sold | 2010 BMW 135i Retired | 2006 Lotus Exige Sold
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2014, 10:41 AM   #128
E90SLAM
Supreme Allied Commander
Hong Kong
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingOfJericho View Post
The US broadcasters had the "no penalty" pegged when they said that the stewards had not enforced it on other cars further back in the race and therefore would not have grounds to enforce it at the front. It has to be enforced across the board or not at all. Drivers overshoot corners with regularity are are never penalized for it. It was lucky that there wasn't a wall but luck works both ways. Vettel was also very lucky he wasn't lanced by Massa's missile of a car. That could have been REALLY bad.
I do agree on that reasoning. However, for example in qualifying, a driver missed the corner and exceeded track limit, he would normally slow down and abandon the lap.

Or in race, driver would coast on the run-off area and rejoin the track without gaining too much advantage. As we seen a few time last weekend with other drivers as well.

However, what made me believe ROS should post a penalty was once he locked up the brakes. He was just like "F*** IT", i'm going for it....floored the car and gained an advantage immediately. Break out the DRS zone on the pit straight.

Unfortunately, the stewards didnt see it that way. But at least they are a bit more consistent this time on the above reasoning.
      06-10-2014, 10:58 AM   #129
KingOfJericho
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Yes

Garage List
2010 135i Coupe  [5.26]
Quote:
I do agree on that reasoning. However, for example in qualifying, a driver missed the corner and exceeded track limit, he would normally slow down and abandon the lap.

Or in race, driver would coast on the run-off area and rejoin the track without gaining too much advantage. As we seen a few time last weekend with other drivers as well.

However, what made me believe ROS should post a penalty was once he locked up the brakes. He was just like "F*** IT", i'm going for it....floored the car and gained an advantage immediately. Break out the DRS zone on the pit straight.

Unfortunately, the stewards didnt see it that way. But at least they are a bit more consistent this time on the above reasoning.
Then we get into the definition of "too much" - 0.6 seconds is as much time as it takes to blink an eye twice. People wanted a drive-through penalty for "gaining an advantage" of two eye blinks? It's very easy to say he gained an advantage from the comfort of our couches with the numbers on the screen, but I'm sure in Rosbergs head he was just keeping the spot he had.

If Hamilton didn't have brake failure, he would have caught Rosberg and passed him anyway. If there was a wall in turn one instead of a curb, Hamilton would have passed Rosburg or put him into the wall. Everyone loves to give LH the benefit in every what-if scenario but I have a hard time feeling bad for someone who is so shitty to their team over the radio. NR and LH are so much on the defensive that they both come off as a little nuts.

2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee High Altitude Hemi | 2010 S4 Sold | 2010 BMW 135i Retired | 2006 Lotus Exige Sold

Last edited by KingOfJericho; 06-10-2014 at 11:05 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2014, 12:33 PM   #130
E90SLAM
Supreme Allied Commander
Hong Kong
Rep

Garage List
      06-10-2014, 12:42 PM   #131
E90SLAM
Supreme Allied Commander
Hong Kong
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingOfJericho View Post
Then we get into the definition of "too much" - 0.6 seconds is as much time as it takes to blink an eye twice. People wanted a drive-through penalty for "gaining an advantage" of two eye blinks? It's very easy to say he gained an advantage from the comfort of our couches with the numbers on the screen, but I'm sure in Rosbergs head he was just keeping the spot he had.

If Hamilton didn't have brake failure, he would have caught Rosberg and passed him anyway. If there was a wall in turn one instead of a curb, Hamilton would have passed Rosburg or put him into the wall. Everyone loves to give LH the benefit in every what-if scenario but I have a hard time feeling bad for someone who is so shitty to their team over the radio. NR and LH are so much on the defensive that they both come off as a little nuts.
As the battle as close as that moment, +/- 0.5 sec, one mistake like Rosberg did should've lost him the position already.

Sorry that I'm repeating myself, but the fact that he gunned the throttle in run-off area, pulling an arcade / GT5 style corner cutting move was just beyond me.

Run off area was design or placed to let drivers to live another day and stay in race. Not to take any advantage, break away DRS, and keep traction on pit straight IMO.

Then, with that move, the advantage for ROS just snowballs. Clean air, cooler on the rear brakes, etc etc. "IF" (another what if scenario) HAM managed to pass, he would have the clean air instead, and probably salvage the rear brakes. And ROS could've been the one retired instead. No one will ever know, its just one possibility to discuss.

2014 season is awesome! I can live without the V8 sound with fantastic racing and so much to talk about.
      06-10-2014, 12:43 PM   #132
overcoil
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i 6spd

That is an amazing diagram above - thanks for posting .

Stuff happens / would have bothered me if people dissed Massa for being sloppy - glad no one was hurt. Amazing !
Appreciate 0