BMW
X7 and XM
forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Professional Motorsport Racing Discussion (IMSA, DTM, Formula 1, Grand-AM, Le Mans, IRL, WRC, etc..) Tony Stewart

View Poll Results: Where does fault lie?
Criminal charges should be filed. Stewart is finished in racing. 30 11.15%
Should lose a lawsuit, but Stewart can salvage his career. 8 2.97%
Tragic accident, blame on both sides. 68 25.28%
Jeff Ward shouldn't have walked on the track. 163 60.59%
Voters: 269. You may not vote on this poll

08-10-2014, 10:19 PM   #45
NickyC
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: M4 CS. Former G82, x2 F82, F80

The only person that really knows what happened is Tony. Having watched the video many times, the only real reference we have to what is going on is the 45 car immediately in front of Stewart. If you look at the 45 car's position on the track relative to Stewart's, you will notice that Stewart is no higher up the track than the 45. As well, when you slow down the video, Stewart's car does not lurch upwards until AFTER making contact with Ward. As well, it doesn't look to me like Stewart was going much faster than the 45 car.

Absent any other evidence, I don't see how Stewart can be held at fault. Ward was a complete moron for getting in the middle of the track like that, and he's responsible for the consequences in doing so. Just my worthless opinion of course.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2014, 10:33 PM   #46
DieGrüneHölle
Colonel
Rep
Drives: M

If you watch the video the driver in front of Stewart had to swerve at the last second to avoid Ward. Stewart was right behind that driver and didn't have enough time to react. The car in front easily could have made it difficult to see. He immediately stopped his car after he knew what happened.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2014, 10:38 PM   #47
DieGrüneHölle
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve33 View Post
Learn to drive a sprint car and then make a proper judgment.

The media is making Tony Stewart out to be this huge villain, but until you learn to drive a sprint car, don't make a judgment on if he was right or wrong
Sports media has turned into tabloid journalism the last few years. ESPN is the worst of them all. Now with new all day sports channels from Fox, CBS, and NBC. It will only get worse.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2014, 10:41 PM   #48
Nola 32/65
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 ZCP M3 6MT

I don't put any blame on Stewart. 100% on Ward here. If he simply stays in his car til rescue personal gets there like he's suppose to then the kid is alive and well right now but he chose to get out of his car (which still could of been fine) and then he chose to walk down into an active raceway in the path of race cars. If you all do some research on how those particular cars are made, their not the easiest things to see out of, as in some drivers have to cut more holes in them to see around the full turn of the track. Take that plus the fact Ward was in a black race suit with a black helmet and towards the outside of the track, I can definitely see how it's possible Stewart didn't see him til the vary last second.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2014, 11:16 PM   #49
tcpsoft
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Garage List
2015 BMW  [0.00]
This is an unfortunate tragic event that I hope prompts some changes at all levels of NASCAR. Living in NC, the NASCAR influence is everywhere. I've never been a fan of Tony Stewart, but he is incredibly talented, a driver's driver and races just about everything, which I respect.

One thing I see way too often are drivers at the Sprint Cup level getting into each other during a race, one gets wrecked, and then they get out of their car and run at the other car with their helmet off. Then, gets rebroadcast on the evening news (at least locally), SportsCenter, etc. to get a ratings boost and to show how "raw and unpredictable" NASCAR can be.

A historical and local smaller track with sanctioned NASCAR events is on the news regularly when the drivers wreck each other and get into fist fights in the pits. Again, this ends up on the evening news to boost ratings for the network and the event.

I think #1, Kevin Ward, Jr. should not have gotten out of his car and run out on the driving line. Unfortunately, this is what he and every other NASCAR fan sees at the highest level several times a year. I can't remember what network runs it, but during rain delays there's always a "Top 10 fights in NASCAR" segment. And after seeing all this you (NASCAR) expect your younger drivers to NOT behave like their heroes?

I hope this will prompt NASCAR to create a rule enforced at every level prohibiting drivers from exiting their car (unless it's on fire or their life is in danger, of course) until safety crews arrive and under no circumstances remove your helmet and walk on the racing line - penalized by immediate suspension.

Regarding Stewart, I can't tell definitively from the vids what he did or didn't do. You see his car and hear an engine, but how many other cars were on the track and closer to the camera? I'd need to see an onboard cam behind the driver to have a better idea of the Stewart perspective. Stewart has been in much worse altercations and I really doubt he intended to hit the other driver.

Finally, "rubbin' is racin' " as they say. Drivers are going to get in each other's way and someone's feelings are going to get hurt. If NASCAR encourages violence by not taking action when a driver walks on the track to slam his helmet on the offending car driving by, they are as much at fault as anyone.

2015 M3 DCT (sold)
2008 Lotus Exige S240 - too many mods to list (sold)
2007 Lotus Exige S (RIP)
2006 MINI Cooper S (sold)
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2014, 11:47 PM   #50
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcpsoft View Post
This is an unfortunate tragic event that I hope prompts some changes at all levels of NASCAR. Living in NC, the NASCAR influence is everywhere. I've never been a fan of Tony Stewart, but he is incredibly talented, a driver's driver and races just about everything, which I respect.

One thing I see way too often are drivers at the Sprint Cup level getting into each other during a race, one gets wrecked, and then they get out of their car and run at the other car with their helmet off. Then, gets rebroadcast on the evening news (at least locally), SportsCenter, etc. to get a ratings boost and to show how "raw and unpredictable" NASCAR can be.

A historical and local smaller track with sanctioned NASCAR events is on the news regularly when the drivers wreck each other and get into fist fights in the pits. Again, this ends up on the evening news to boost ratings for the network and the event.

I think #1, Kevin Ward, Jr. should not have gotten out of his car and run out on the driving line. Unfortunately, this is what he and every other NASCAR fan sees at the highest level several times a year. I can't remember what network runs it, but during rain delays there's always a "Top 10 fights in NASCAR" segment. And after seeing all this you (NASCAR) expect your younger drivers to NOT behave like their heroes?

I hope this will prompt NASCAR to create a rule enforced at every level prohibiting drivers from exiting their car (unless it's on fire or their life is in danger, of course) until safety crews arrive and under no circumstances remove your helmet and walk on the racing line - penalized by immediate suspension.

Regarding Stewart, I can't tell definitively from the vids what he did or didn't do. You see his car and hear an engine, but how many other cars were on the track and closer to the camera? I'd need to see an onboard cam behind the driver to have a better idea of the Stewart perspective. Stewart has been in much worse altercations and I really doubt he intended to hit the other driver.

Finally, "rubbin' is racin' " as they say. Drivers are going to get in each other's way and someone's feelings are going to get hurt. If NASCAR encourages violence by not taking action when a driver walks on the track to slam his helmet on the offending car driving by, they are as much at fault as anyone.
+1

Well said.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2014, 01:23 AM   #51
M3WC
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW

Just so everyone knows with how a dirt track car is setup, a throttle would actually turn the car left.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2014, 09:28 AM   #52
TSM330i
2006 330i, TSM, Black, manual, sport
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 C2, GTI, Z4 3.0si Racecar

Plain and simple: If Kevin Ward didn't get out of his car and walk out onto the racing surface, he'd be alive today.

I have my SCCA license and BMWCCA comp license. The ONLY way you get out of your car on track prior to safety personnel arriving is if your car is on fire.
Maybe Tony drove a bit higher on the track to intimidate him, but it's got to be hard to see at night and not expecting someone to be there is another issue all together. Basically Kevin was in the wrong place at the wrong time and a tragic accident happened.

Does anyone here really believe Tony Stewart set out to actually hit this guy on purpose? Think about it before you answer....
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2014, 09:51 AM   #53
3798j
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: E86 3.0si

Garage List
'08 Z4 3.0SI  [8.50]
'66 Triumph TR4A  [0.00]
'85 Corvette  [0.00]
'64 Corvette  [0.00]
'68 Triumph GT6  [0.00]
'55 Ford F100  [0.00]
'19 VW Golf "R ...  [0.00]
Feel it needs to be pointed out that the track (Canandaigua Motorsports Park), the race in which Kevin Ward Jr. was killed in, and the cars he and Stewart were driving all fall under the sanctioning (and rules) of Empire Super Sprints.....not NASCAR.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2014, 11:29 AM   #54
DieGrüneHölle
Colonel
Rep

I am sorry but the 13% that said criminal charges should be filed are complete f*cking morons.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2014, 11:36 AM   #55
carzaddict
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015 Cadillac Escalade ESV

this is very tragic news....unfortunately Ward put himself in danger when he got out of the car.

For those who arent aware of the physics behind this. This is a dirt track....there is VERY little grip. slamming on the brakes will NOT stop the car....it will actually make it slide further.

lets assume Tony did not intend to kill him......he tried his best to avoid him. and thats all you can prove in court
      08-11-2014, 11:50 AM   #56
hellrotm
Banned
Rep
Drives: F80

So embarrassing to see the morons on tv try to make assumptions of what happened. The people on ESPN do not know sh*t about racing in general, let alone dirt track racing. These cars are very difficult to drive at half speed. They are made to go sideways around left hands turns. Right rear tire is bigger. Throttle blip was done to make the car go left.

The last thing Tony would want is someone to die like this at a dirt track. This sport does not need something like this happening. The sport is dying, he owns one of the bigger dirt tracks Eldora Speedway. This is a sad accident and I am sure Tony is devastated.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2014, 12:12 PM   #57
David70
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 Z4M Coupe - 13 Cadillac ATS

Interesting article here - http://blog.caranddriver.com/yes-ton...e-whole-story/

Quote:
Emergency workers were there within seconds. Indeed, Stewart may have hit the gas, but you steer sprint cars with the throttle more than with the steering wheel. The idea that he accelerated trying to hit Ward is beyond the pale.

I have driven winged sprint cars, and, as you can imagine, visibility to the side is horrible. Ward was wearing a mostly black fire suit and a black helmet. The idea that any driver would purposely hit another over what was a comparatively minor, “that’s racing” incident is hard to swallow. That Tony Stewart would be the one to do it on purpose? That is unthinkable.
      08-11-2014, 12:28 PM   #58
hellrotm
Banned
Rep
Drives: F80

Exactly. Most people making assumptions simply do not have the knowledge to make an educated guess as to what happened.

These cars are steered with the throttle.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2014, 12:51 PM   #59
GTB/ZR-1
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Pending...

Sneaking suspicion the local DA's office may want some publicity & try to file manslaughter charges.

Hopefully, all will realize this was a horrible tragedy & the very last thing Stewart wanted to do was kill--or even touch that kid...
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2014, 01:11 PM   #60
grimlock
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F10 N52B30@255PS

A man of character

Appreciate 0
      08-11-2014, 01:16 PM   #61
Gossypiboma
Major
Rep
Drives: 13' M3 6MT 18' M3 CS

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackJetE90 View Post
Exactly. Most people making assumptions simply do not have the knowledge to make an educated guess as to what happened.

These cars are steered with the throttle.
Yes, they are somewhat steered with the throttle while sliding around corners at speed. This was under a yellow flag and not at speed nor in a racing condition so no the car was not being steered with the throttle. The freaking steering wheel still controls the direction of the car.

No one is thinking he did this on purpose people so Im not sure where that idea is coming from. At most there is a suggestion that Tony made a mistake while attempting to intimidate Ward.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2014, 06:31 PM   #62
Groundpilot
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135I DCT , e92 M3 DCT, Audi A6

So, i am not saying that Tony hit him intentionally, but, how come it was him to cause that tragic accident, not anyone else out of so many cars running under yellow? Was it a coincidence?
I voted for Ward shouldnt have been on the track, but after watching this video and reading some comments of eyewitnesses, i have to say it doesnt look good for Stewart.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2014, 06:40 PM   #63
128Convertibleguy
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2010 128 Covertible

Unhappy

Personal opinion, obviously a minority at this point.

Obviously Stewart had no intent to hit Ward. But...

The cars were going under the yellow flag at maybe 40 MPH. I think Stewart saw Ward. I think he was under full control.

The crucial part to me is the throttle rev. If that was Stewart's car, and before the impact, I think...

He revved the engine to say "your fault" or maybe to throw dirt. Those who say doing that would make the car turn left are only partly right. If he spun the wheels, it could cause the rear to slide. While that turns the car left it could easily cause the rear to step right and hit Ward.

If that is what happened, Stewart is experienced enough to know that hitting the throttle could cause something bad to happen. No intent necessary, just reckless behavior. Fault may be shared, but it's not all on Ward. He didn't do anything that doesn't happen every Saturday night on many short tracks in America.

My prediction is a large out of court settlement to the Ward family. I have no clue whether criminal charges would be filed. And I suspect the 42 year old Stewart is going to find it hard to find a major sponsor, for either himself or his team. But lots of short tracks will still be happy to have him race.

Last edited by 128Convertibleguy; 08-11-2014 at 06:58 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2014, 07:47 PM   #64
DieGrüneHölle
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by grimlock View Post
A man of character

I am guessing you have no idea about Tony and Delana. They are very close friends, it is a joke. Delana's husband now drives for Tony.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2014, 08:21 PM   #65
consolidated
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Garage List
Hard to see out of these things. Anyone who has raced wheel to wheel and risks their life on track knows how easy it is to get fired up, red misted and foggy but then there's the sense of brotherhood and mutual protection that comes from doing it together, and you know where that line is.

Can't imagine TS would have crossed it. Throwing a helmet at a moving car is one thing, running down a defenseless fellow racer is just not in the same universe.
Attached Images

08-11-2014, 10:47 PM   #66
DieGrüneHölle
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 128Convertibleguy View Post
My prediction is a large out of court settlement to the Ward family. I have no clue whether criminal charges would be filed. And I suspect the 42 year old Stewart is going to find it hard to find a major sponsor, for either himself or his team. But lots of short tracks will still be happy to have him race.
Tony won't have problems getting sponsors I guarantee it. His co-owner Gene Haas has a sh*t ton of money and business relationships.

If I were Tony I wouldn't pay that family a cent. The video is more that enough to win in court.
Appreciate 0