BMW
X7 and XM
forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Professional Motorsport Racing Discussion (IMSA, DTM, Formula 1, Grand-AM, Le Mans, IRL, WRC, etc..) 2015 Formula 1 Rolex Australian Grand Prix

03-16-2015, 11:21 AM   #111
Sleeper519
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 E92 M3 DCT

Sorry if this is a re-post but very funny.

2008 M3 Coupe / DCT // StopTech BBK 380/355 / Pagid RS29 / Motul / Apex Arc-8 / BFG R1S / Ground Control / MS filter / Performance spoiler / BPM tune // Road Atlanta 1:39.70 / VIR Full 2:10.87 / Barber 1:42.20
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2015, 11:29 AM   #112
FormulaMMM
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Good f’ing grief. Mercedes has been dominant for exactly 1 season + 1 race, and rb is ready to call it quits? And out of everyone, red bull… So disappointing. That’s that 4x world champion fighting spirit? Ferrari won 8 out of 10 between ’99 and ’08. Surprised everyone didn’t take their toys and go home then.

I know it’s just politics and rhetoric from Horner and co, but such sour grapes. If they’re not having fun (aw shucks), then Dietrich should invest his absurd profits into more space jumps, or whatever.

Ferrari was in the dumps last year, now they look like they’ll be competing for #2. One more year of development, they might be a match for Merc. At least that is their expressed intention, and anyone who didn’t think that is possible appears to be out. That’s the right approach. Mclaren, even in their pathetic current state, appear absolutely resolved to fight until they get there.

I happen to agree that these engines aren’t the right direction for F1, but not because Merc has it figured better than everyone else at the moment.

Appreciate 0
      03-16-2015, 11:34 AM   #113
inTgr8r
Lieutenant General
Canada
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

^this....
'07 Z4 M Coupe Alpine White (sold)
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2015, 12:31 PM   #114
hellrotm
Banned
Rep
Drives: F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by 954Stealth View Post

"What we should have done was frozen the Mercedes engine and leave everybody else to do what they want so they could have caught up."
The day they implement something like this is the day I stop watching F1.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2015, 12:35 PM   #115
hellrotm
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickyC View Post
I don't see a fix to the situation. The sport is just going to suffer tremendously because of this. Even when Ferrari and Schumacher were dominating everything, you still had the screaming V10s and the gorgeous tracks with history. There's just nothing saving the sport right now for me.
They really need to let the teams test as much as they want, spend as much as they want. There is no other way to let the other teams catch up.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2015, 12:38 PM   #116
hellrotm
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FormulaMMM View Post
Good f’ing grief. Mercedes has been dominant for exactly 1 season + 1 race, and rb is ready to call it quits? And out of everyone, red bull… So disappointing. That’s that 4x world champion fighting spirit? Ferrari won 8 out of 10 between ’99 and ’08. Surprised everyone didn’t take their toys and go home then.

I know it’s just politics and rhetoric from Horner and co, but such sour grapes. If they’re not having fun (aw shucks), then Dietrich should invest his absurd profits into more space jumps, or whatever.

Ferrari was in the dumps last year, now they look like they’ll be competing for #2. One more year of development, they might be a match for Merc. At least that is their expressed intention, and anyone who didn’t think that is possible appears to be out. That’s the right approach. Mclaren, even in their pathetic current state, appear absolutely resolved to fight until they get there.

I happen to agree that these engines aren’t the right direction for F1, but not because Merc has it figured better than everyone else at the moment.
Quote:
Originally Posted by inTgr8r View Post
^this....
+1

People are overreacting.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2015, 01:42 PM   #117
NickyC
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: M4 CS. Former G82, x2 F82, F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackJetE90 View Post
They really need to let the teams test as much as they want, spend as much as they want. There is no other way to let the other teams catch up.
If they did that, they'd destroy all the medium to smaller sized teams and wind up with a 8-10 car grid. This is why F1 began all the cost cutting measures in the first place years back.

As well, people are not overreacting. The sport has been boring to me for years, and now it's unwatchable. People know what a good product is, and F1 is far from it.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2015, 02:47 PM   #118
954Stealth
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: A Car

Quote:
If they did that, they'd destroy all the medium to smaller sized teams and wind up with a 8-10 car grid. This is why F1 began all the cost cutting measures in the first place years back.

As well, people are not overreacting. The sport has been boring to me for years, and now it's unwatchable. People know what a good product is, and F1 is far from it.
I am against 3 car teams and if the grid dropped to around 10 cars, I'm afraid that would be the stopgap fix.

F1 is a mess right now. Politics, infighting, lawsuits, venue contracts, teams barely able to hang on let alone be anywhere near competitive or if they build a decent product it bankrupts them. Whether it is posturing or fact remains to be seen but now we have teams threatening to quit and threadbare teams being fined/charged shipping fees for NOT racing. I could go on but you all know the facts and get the point. F1 is a mess and some big, sweeping changes need to be made soon or the sport is doomed. Banning helmet livery changes is like rearranging deck chairs on the Titanic.

I'm going to keep watching the races, of course, but I will watch with the hopes that it will be more exciting than the novelty of watching these cars single file around a circuit at a fast rate of speed.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2015, 02:47 PM   #119
FormulaMMM
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:

Aren't NBCSN ratings surpassing anything Speed ever did? As far as in the states, I'm not sure it's not more popular now than ever before. And Austin is packed every year.

Did you actually watch last year? Yes, it became a two horse race, but I wouldn't say that was an unwatchable or boring season at all. Certainly better than the 3 prior years. Only thing that was missing was/is the sound.

Appreciate 0
      03-16-2015, 02:50 PM   #120
inTgr8r
Lieutenant General
Canada
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

Quote:
I am against 3 car teams and if the grid dropped to around 10 cars, I'm afraid that would be the stopgap fix.

F1 is a mess right now. Politics, infighting, lawsuits, venue contracts, teams barely able to hang on let alone be anywhere near competitive or if they build a decent product it bankrupts them. Whether it is posturing or fact remains to be seen but now we have teams threatening to quit and threadbare teams being fined/charged shipping fees for NOT racing. I could go on but you all know the facts and get the point. F1 is a mess and some big, sweeping changes need to be made soon or the sport is doomed. Banning helmet livery changes is like rearranging deck chairs on the Titanic.

I'm going to keep watching the races, of course, but I will watch with the hopes that it will be more exciting than the novelty of watching these cars single file around a circuit at a fast rate of speed.
...there's always Pastor for entertainment
'07 Z4 M Coupe Alpine White (sold)
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2015, 02:50 PM   #121
954Stealth
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Did you actually watch last year? Yes, it became a two horse race, but I wouldn't say that was an unwatchable or boring season at all. Certainly better than the 3 prior years. Only thing that was missing was/is the sound.
I don't want to have to look to stupid line choices or over agressive passing or contact during passing or (please not) wrecks like we saw with JB to break up the monotony.

(Latest news on Bianchi, by the way:
Jules Bianchi Health Update: F1 Marussia Racer Still in a Coma, No Certainty if He's Going to Wake Up or Not, According to Jules' Father, Philippe Bianchi. But he did have this to say about his son:
"I think he will, as he has not fought with us this long for nothing.")
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2015, 02:51 PM   #122
954Stealth
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by inTgr8r View Post
...there's always Pastor for entertainment
haha we already have some movement on this years' crash count!
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2015, 03:29 PM   #123
hellrotm
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Aren't NBCSN ratings surpassing anything Speed ever did? As far as in the states, I'm not sure it's not more popular now than ever before. And Austin is packed every year.

+1 again.

Last season was actually very entertaining. Championship went down to last race. Ricciardo emerged as a true talent, with some great wins.

Last time I didn't enjoy the seasons was when Red Bull dominated, but that is because I don't like Vettel or Red Bull. It will be interesting to see if all the Red Bull fanboys that sit around me at COTA are still actually Red Bull fans. Mostly they were typical newbie bandwagon fans.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2015, 03:55 PM   #124
NickyC
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: M4 CS. Former G82, x2 F82, F80

Doesn't compute fellas.

http://www.mystatesman.com/news/spor...ight-ye/nh3db/

Numbers have been way off in Europe as well. Whether or not it's the bad economies around the world or just being bored of the sport is a different debate.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2015, 04:11 PM   #125
Chihuahua
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E30 329iS, E65 Alpina B7

Quote:

Jules Bianchi Health Update: F1 Marussia Racer Still in a Coma, No Certainty if He's Going to Wake Up or Not, According to Jules' Father, Philippe Bianchi. But he did have this to say about his son:
Glad you posted this; not to be a downer, but I really hope that the F1 community doesn't 'forget' about Bianchi and Schumi. I check for any updates at least 3-5 times per week hoping for some good news. Both situations are just horrible.

The only thing I enjoyed about Australia was watching Sauber return to being competitive. I'd love to see them on the podium this year, and the livery on that car is awesome.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2015, 04:37 PM   #126
FormulaMMM
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I don't want to have to look to stupid line choices or over agressive passing or contact during passing or (please not) wrecks like we saw with JB to break up the monotony.

Well, me neither Stealth... that's not what I found entertaining about '14 at all!

Bianchi is an utter tragedy. I assumed no news meant this.

Quote:
Doesn't compute fellas.

Numbers have been way off in Europe as well. Whether or not it's the bad economies around the world or just being bored of the sport is a different debate.
Interesting. Here's some contrasting data for the US market: http://www.formula1blog.com/f1-news/...h-93-increase/

I have heard the same about race attendance though. Could be down economies, could be the sound problem.

Austin attendance is still obviously strong. Down some from inaugural shouldn't be surprising. Plus didn't it go head to head with about 1/2 dozen events that day in TX last year?

Appreciate 0
      03-16-2015, 04:53 PM   #127
hellrotm
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Doesn't compute fellas.

Attendance might be down slightly.

But believe me when I tell you, the Austin F1 race is a f*cking mad house. I have been every year.

To be perfectly honest I wish less people went. It is hard just to walk anywhere because there are so many people on the paths and walkways.

Oh and the newspaper here is a bunch of liberal jerkoffs, that use any chance they get to crap on Circuit of The Americas track. They didn't want it built in the first place. It figures they would get negative about an event in their own damn city that attracts a quarter of a million people.

Check out turn one on race day. Grandstands full and every inch of grass filled with people.

Last edited by hellrotm; 03-16-2015 at 11:16 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2015, 04:57 PM   #128
954Stealth
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Well, me neither Stealth... that's not what I found entertaining about '14 at all!

Bianchi is an utter tragedy. I assumed no news meant this.
Oh lord, I hope you did not think I meant to imply you wanted to see anyone get hurt or worse. To be clear, I quoted your post to continue with that train of thought in the conversation and not to rebut your comment. I don't know you other than on this forum of course, but I have to believe no one in their right mind (most of us? ) would wish for such a thing.

This is supposed to be the gentleman's sport of the motorsports world and we - the fans - act accordingly (to include hoping to avoid wrecks/pileups/hard contact). I won't mention what I think of the National Association for Stock Car Auto Racing fans who find those moments of particular delight and are what they pay to see from the grandstands [heresay but I've heard it from more than one NASCAR waffle-belly] )
Appreciate 1
      03-16-2015, 05:02 PM   #129
954Stealth
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Doesn't compute fellas.

I think (going with the different debate) that it is both. People are less enthusiastic about the sport of late and therefore have a hard time justifying the cost of a day or a weekend at an F1 event. I think it was in the F1 preseason thread where we broke down some of the numbers at various tracks and I remember comparing the Grand Prix of the Americas for F1 to the same for MotoGP and the difference is both astronomical and appalling.

Look at Hockenheim, on the brink of losing F1 because they can't put together a weekend of fun at a reasonable price that will draw the crowd they need. Where as, say, the DTM round at Hockenheim or, hell, even the October stop at Hockenheimring for the ADAC GT Masters will fill up and nearly sell out
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2015, 05:20 PM   #130
FormulaMMM
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Oh lord, I hope you did not think I meant to imply you wanted to see anyone get hurt or worse. To be clear, I quoted your post to continue with that train of thought in the conversation and not to rebut your comment. I don't know you other than on this forum of course, but I have to believe no one in their right mind (most of us? ) would wish for such a thing.

This is supposed to be the gentleman's sport of the motorsports world and we - the fans - act accordingly (to include hoping to avoid wrecks/pileups/hard contact). I won't mention what I think of the National Association for Stock Car Auto Racing fans who find those moments of particular delight and are what they pay to see from the grandstands [heresay but I've heard it from more than one NASCAR waffle-belly] )
Ha, misunderstanding. All good.

Appreciate 2
      03-16-2015, 08:22 PM   #131
solstice
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3 6MT

I still find it utterly disappointing that Ferrari's pride,joy and first priority their F1 racing team can't build an engine with equal or superior power to Mercedes blingy Benz little side project. Sure Benz have a solid F1 history long way back but today it's mainly rolling couches for blue haired ladies and obese executives. Shameful.

To Ferrari's defense, they did fire pretty much everyone...

Last edited by solstice; 03-16-2015 at 08:29 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2015, 07:35 AM   #132
ashtaron14
Major
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: G80 M3

http://en.espnf1.com/mercedes/motors...ry/194945.html" rel="ugc" target="_blank">http://<a href="http://en.espnf1.com...94945.html</a>

Now if only Vettel has a Twitter account
Attached Images