BMW
X7 and XM
forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos Which hatchback or SUV to get?

09-02-2019, 01:29 PM   #1
FuriouslyFast
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: Miss Daisy

Garage List
Girlfriend is selling her 2016 Pathfinder to get a smaller (No full size please) SUV or a hatchback car. Mazda CX-5 is at the top of the list right now. No Nissan, Infiniti, MB, BMW, Audi etc b/c not owning that out of warranty. However, if the lease deal is right, they would be on the table. For a used purchase, the budget is $20k or less. For a new lease, under $300 per month. She prefers AWD/4WD, but not a requirement if she really likes it otherwise.

What does the forum recommend? RAV4 is also out.
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2019, 02:52 PM   #2
P1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2004 3/4 ton Duramax

Alfa Romeo Stelvio.
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2019, 03:03 PM   #3
yco
i'm just saying
Rep
Drives: E71 X6M '10 (sold)

CX-5 looks pretty subjective choice considering other brands that already been ignored..
VW Tiguan can be, im not sure if its on the market in US, XC40 or Evoque.. last 2's lease price can be higher but Tiguan d be a better choice than CX-5 for me..
      09-02-2019, 03:28 PM   #4
avocet
Major
Rep
Drives: 2007 328i 2011 X5d

VW Golf Alltrack/Sportwagen and Subaru Crosstrek would be on my list.
Appreciate 3
      09-02-2019, 03:51 PM   #5
overcoil
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i 6spd

I read recently:

VW is going to stop selling a wagon in the U.S. market.

Subaru pays out a lot in warranty work that corporate needs to rethink business plan.

Mercedes GLA is getting replaced soon.

I noticed today the Mercedes glc, to me looks a bit too economy in the chassis; rear width and overall design - but I would consider one.

Anyway, we have had Honda HRV, and for about $22,00 on the street with all-wheel-drive, it was very good.

Excellent in deep rutted snow on steep hills. Soaked up the worst kind of broken roads and laughed at driving over curbs in tight turns with the rear wheels.
And it actually had loads of grip and felt very secure.
The rear seats folded completely flat for great cargo room.
Appreciate 1
      09-02-2019, 03:52 PM   #6
FuriouslyFast
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by avocet View Post
VW Golf Alltrack/Sportwagen and Subaru Crosstrek would be on my list.
How does that VW compare to the Jetta? I had a 2017 Jetta S for a bit as a beater & it was meh
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2019, 03:53 PM   #7
FuriouslyFast
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by yco View Post
CX-5 looks pretty subjective choice considering other brands that already been ignored..
VW Tiguan can be, im not sure if its on the market in US, XC40 or Evoque.. last 2's lease price can be higher but Tiguan d be a better choice than CX-5 for me..
Why the VW over the Mazda for you?
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2019, 03:58 PM   #8
overcoil
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i 6spd

Mazda dealers

https://www.google.com/amp/s/jalopni...1833713245/amp
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2019, 03:59 PM   #9
FuriouslyFast
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottSinger View Post
I have owned several Mazdas & my local dealer was pretty good so YMMV
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2019, 04:07 PM   #10
avocet
Major
Rep
Drives: 2007 328i 2011 X5d

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuriouslyFast View Post
How does that VW compare to the Jetta? I had a 2017 Jetta S for a bit as a beater & it was meh
The Golf is a more engaging vehicle. ie multi link rear suspension vs torsion beam, and interior materials.

The Jetta, from what I have read, is a more utilitarian sedan aimed at the bread and butter sedan buyer.

The Golf series, it seems, is aimed at the more enthusiast oriented base.

And, of course, there is the Golf R, but that might be outside of your parameters.
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2019, 08:28 PM   #11
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Smog machines

Quote:
Originally Posted by avocet View Post
Quote:
The Golf is a more engaging vehicle. ie multi link rear suspension vs torsion beam, and interior materials.

The Jetta, from what I have read, is a more utilitarian sedan aimed at the bread and butter sedan buyer.

The Golf series, it seems, is aimed at the more enthusiast oriented base.

And, of course, there is the Golf R, but that might be outside of your parameters.
Base Golf is a snore. The GTI (which I own) is wildly better. The R is good, but not enough to justify the premium in my eyes.

I've also owned a Mazda 3, and I'd have one over a Golf if the extra length isn't an issue. Much better driving dynamics and much more fun to drive.
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2019, 08:35 PM   #12
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

A year ago, I helped a friend get a mid-sized SUV. She was going to get a Forester to replace her old, oil-leaking one. I convinced her to get a CX-5. She loves it. Leased for $270/month; $1,800 down. VA car tax included.

The Mazda drives great, looks great inside and out, and has a real (non-turbo) engine and a real 6-speed automatic. Most SUVs in the class have a turbo and a CVT. CX-5 gets my vote.
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2019, 09:05 PM   #13
yco
i'm just saying
Rep
Drives: E71 X6M '10 (sold)

Quote:
Why the VW over the Mazda for you?
yeah after scandals VW's image maybe distorted in US but.. chassis and engine wise VW is a neat package on each model.. i drove them both for comparison as well.. including previous gen Tiguan.. i d recommend Seat Ateca or bigger one Skoda Kodiaq as well as more budget friendly choices but i guess they re not in US market still.. but if you re getting a really great deal on CX-5 it may worth in the end..
      09-02-2019, 09:21 PM   #14
bucketfoot
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 Toyota GT86

Given the brands you do not want to consider, I think Mazda is a great option. The Mazda 3 is now available in AWD so you might want to consider it in addition to the CX-5.

Mazda dealerships can be hit or miss, but if you already have had a good experience with one you are ahead of the game.

I came really close to getting a CX-5 as my last car (got an X1 instead) as it was bigger than what I really wanted and the CX-3 was too new for me to consider.
      09-02-2019, 10:32 PM   #15
The Outrage
Private
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i xDrive

The Mazda CX-5's infotainment system is poor. This may matter to non-enthusiasts considerably more than its driving dynamics.

It may be possible to lease a new, well-equipped, Jeep Renegade, Compass, or Cherokee for under $300 a month with no down-payment. You'd be getting a full warranty in any of those cases.
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2019, 10:40 PM   #16
FuriouslyFast
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by bucketfoot View Post
Given the brands you do not want to consider, I think Mazda is a great option. The Mazda 3 is now available in AWD so you might want to consider it in addition to the CX-5.

Mazda dealerships can be hit or miss, but if you already have had a good experience with one you are ahead of the game.

I came really close to getting a CX-5 as my last car (got an X1 instead) as it was bigger than what I really wanted and the CX-3 was too new for me to consider.
Those brand are only not considered on a used purchase. They are in the running for a new lease......
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2019, 10:41 PM   #17
FuriouslyFast
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
A year ago, I helped a friend get a mid-sized SUV. She was going to get a Forester to replace her old, oil-leaking one. I convinced her to get a CX-5. She loves it. Leased for $270/month; $1,800 down. VA car tax included.

The Mazda drives great, looks great inside and out, and has a real (non-turbo) engine and a real 6-speed automatic. Most SUVs in the class have a turbo and a CVT. CX-5 gets my vote.
I am not a fan of $ down on a lease. I put 0 down on my Hellcat.
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2019, 05:21 AM   #18
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I am not a fan of $ down on a lease. I put 0 down on my Hellcat.
Good for you. I'm not a fan of leases. I was just giving you an example of a lease of a CX-5 for under $300/month. It was a good lease deal. A really good lease is a number less than 110 per $10K of MSRP.
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2019, 07:37 AM   #19
FuriouslyFast
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
Good for you. I'm not a fan of leases. I was just giving you an example of a lease of a CX-5 for under $300/month. It was a good lease deal. A really good lease is a number less than 110 per $10K of MSRP.
Easy killer.
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2019, 09:02 AM   #20
SteveinArizona
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 530e

Quote:
Girlfriend is selling her 2016 Pathfinder to get a smaller (No full size please) SUV or a hatchback car. Mazda CX-5 is at the top of the list right now. No Nissan, Infiniti, MB, BMW, Audi etc b/c not owning that out of warranty. However, if the lease deal is right, they would be on the table. For a used purchase, the budget is $20k or less. For a new lease, under $300 per month. She prefers AWD/4WD, but not a requirement if she really likes it otherwise.

What does the forum recommend? RAV4 is also out.
My daughter was about to have her first child in the Chicago area. I wanted a safe but capable car for her with adequate room for baby stroller, diaper bag, etc. but recognized a tight turn into a small garage and the narrow streets.

We ended up deciding between a VW Golf Alltrack and the Mazda CX-5. It was not an easy choice as they are both excellent cars. Right now VW Alltracks can be found for low 20s with a manual transmission and around $25-$27K for one with a dual clutch automated manual. And the 2019 model has the six year OEM warranty.

Without the warranty, I would have opted for the Mazda. But with the warranty, we decided that the lower Alltrack would better fit my daughter's needs. And you won't have any difficulty finding your car...I have yet to see another although my son in law says he has seen one. A true Unicorn.

While not my BMW, so far the car is riding well (although the front passenger grab bar ceased to function). For just a tad more than your budget, you can get a new car with a six year warranty.

I have a personal aversion to CVTs which limited the choices as did the fact that my daugher can't drive a manual (but my son-in-law is looking forward to using the paddle shifters).

Two great vehicles. The other issue is safety. I believe that to get the automated braking on the Mazda, one needs to get at least the Touring version. For the VW, it comes standard on all 2019 models but for the advanced "safety" features (adaptive cruise control, lane assistant, etc.) one needs to go to the SE level and have the option package. From my research that brings the cost closer to $30K for a new car with the DCT.

My final conclusion...two great vehicles.
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2019, 10:36 AM   #21
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Easy killer.
Everything is negotiable, or so I've heard...
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2019, 01:48 PM   #22
nyalpine90
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: MY24 G01 AW Msport

Garage List
2016 BMW X4  [9.33]
chevy blazer
honda passport
Appreciate 0