BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW X7 (G07) Forums General BMW X7 Forum Remote Engine Start

06-30-2019, 01:26 PM   #1
UGAdawg
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2019 X7 40i

Remote Engine Start

Anyone having issues with the remote engine start? I can honk the horn with the app but the car will not start. Additionally, trying to start the car with the key fob (3 presses of the lock button) does not work either. It was previously working fine. When I get into the car after trying to remote start, the screen says conditions for remote start were not met. Any ideas?
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2019, 03:13 PM   #2
Tonycwm
Private
Rep
Drives: 2014 X5 & 2018 540

Quote:
Originally Posted by UGAdawg View Post
Anyone having issues with the remote engine start? I can honk the horn with the app but the car will not start. Additionally, trying to start the car with the key fob (3 presses of the lock button) does not work either. It was previously working fine. When I get into the car after trying to remote start, the screen says conditions for remote start were not met. Any ideas?
In the menu on the A/C button, go in there and make sure that remote climate or climate pre-conditioning is checked. They told meet at the dealer that this may turn off if you don’t drive your vehicle for a while. It’s never happened to me, but that’s the first place I’d check.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2019, 12:36 AM   #3
khai Dow
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: "Grey Goose" X7 40D, IOMG M4C

Quote:
If I go to “info” on the app and then expand “enabled features”, it shows a whole bunch of things not including remote engine start. That leads me to believe it doesn’t exist (on my car at least)

Cheers

Mark
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2019, 07:12 AM   #4
Sphinx_77
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X7

Quote:
Originally Posted by khai Dow View Post
Quote:
If I go to “info” on the app and then expand “enabled features”, it shows a whole bunch of things not including remote engine start. That leads me to believe it doesn’t exist (on my car at least)

Cheers

Mark
Have you checked online at
https://connecteddrive.bmwusa.com
to make sure you have enabled all of the features?
Maybe have a look there if you haven't yet?
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2019, 07:27 AM   #5
Sphinx_77
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sphinx_77 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by khai Dow View Post
Quote:
If I go to "info" on the app and then expand "enabled features", it shows a whole bunch of things not including remote engine start. That leads me to believe it doesn't exist (on my car at least)

Cheers

Mark
Have you checked online at
https://connecteddrive.bmwusa.com
to make sure you have enabled all of the features?
Maybe have a look there if you haven't yet?
Also.
The feature that you need to select in the app is called "Climatize Now", not "Remote Start".
Maybe that helps?
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2019, 07:59 PM   #6
UGAdawg
Enlisted Member
Rep

I think I may have figured it out. My check engine light is on. I took it in a couple of weeks ago and they state there is a bad sensor. Unfortunately, the part is not available yet. Just like the part for my seat that I'm still waiting on... Regardless, I don't think the car will remotely start when the check engine light is on. I had a similar issue on an older Yukon I drove. We'll see once I get the car fixed and retry the remote start.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2019, 01:28 PM   #7
UGAdawg
Enlisted Member
Rep

Just to put closure on this thread. I took the car in to the dealer and had the exhaust sensor replaced. The check engine light is off and now the remote start is working again.
Appreciate 3
      07-23-2019, 04:18 PM   #8
CruiseControl
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW X7 40iM

Does the remote start allow you to start the vehicle immediately or is there any delay? Also can you set the temperature remotely?
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2019, 05:45 PM   #9
UGAdawg
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CruiseControl View Post
Does the remote start allow you to start the vehicle immediately or is there any delay? Also can you set the temperature remotely?
Yes, you can start the vehicle immediately two ways. The first is with the BMW Connected app. The other is by pressing the lock button three times on the key Fob. You have to be within range for this to work while the app can be done from anywhere. Both of these will start the car and I assume the temperature is set to the last temperature setting when the car was turned off.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2020, 01:57 PM   #10
UKMS
Lieutenant
United Arab Emirates
Rep
Drives: X7 40i

I've tried searching but can't find a definitive answer.

Does anyone know if Remote Start 1CR can be retro added to a 2019MY X7 ?

Thanks in advance
      05-02-2020, 08:53 AM   #11
UKMS
Lieutenant
United Arab Emirates
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by UKMS View Post

Thanks in advance
Just bumping this in case anyone knows ?

Thanks in advance.
      05-02-2020, 11:35 PM   #12
Resjudicata
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M850i convertible

Quote:
Quote:

Thanks in advance

Thanks in advance.
it's not easy to retrofit any options, especially remote start to an old BMW.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2020, 11:43 PM   #13
UKMS
Lieutenant
United Arab Emirates
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resjudicata View Post
Quote:
Quote:

Thanks in advance

Thanks in advance.
it's not easy to retrofit any options, especially remote start to an old BMW.
With respect it's not old .... I'm just not sure if this is something that is software only or whether there are any parts involved.

Hopefully I'll find out later today when I take delivery of mine, I'll call into the service department, whether I get the right answer is another matter
      05-03-2020, 09:16 AM   #14
jmciver
///M SubDriver
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3, 2020 X7 40i

Garage List
2017 BMW M3  [10.00]
2020 BMW X7  [0.00]
2019 BMW X3  [0.00]
2009 BMW 128i  [0.00]
Quote:
With respect it's not old .... I'm just not sure if this is something that is software only or whether there are any parts involved.

Hopefully I'll find out later today when I take delivery of mine, I'll call into the service department, whether I get the right answer is another matter
So I was curious about this and did a little poking around. As best I could tell, the remote engine start feature and the auto start/stop feature (which I really hate BTW) seem to be closely related. The wire diagram at the link below shows the primary components: The Body Domain Controller (BDC) and the Center Console Control Panel (where the engine start/stop button is located):

https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/g...tor/1VncgXbILQ

Looking at the BMW online parts catalog, there does not seem to be a different BDC for vehicles with different options. As for the Center Console Control Panel, there appear to be four different variants: with or without glass controls, and with or without Parking Assistance Plus. No mention of the Remote Engine Start Option (which is option code SA1CR).

So based on these limited findings, I will speculate that on the new G-Series BMWs that share this BDC (and there are a lot of them) and also have the same Center Console Control Panel (which is in the 8-series, X5, X6 & X7), Remote Start should be a codeable option that does not require additional hardware. Of course, knowing that it s codable, then actually finding the parameters to actually do it are two totally different things.... Also, whether or not this is an official BMW retrofit is a different matter as well. Although, on the previous generation X5 and 7-series, BMW did offer remote start as a dealer authorized retro fit so there is some hope...

With all the inherent automation that all car manufactures are adding to their modern car models now, it only makes sense that remote start capability should already be "built in" into the electronics in the car.

X3 XDrive 30i - 2019 G01 Mineral White (wife's) / 128i 6MT - 2009 E82 Jet Black (son's)

Last edited by jmciver; 05-03-2020 at 09:21 AM..
Appreciate 1
UKMS110.00
      05-03-2020, 10:01 AM   #15
UKMS
Lieutenant
United Arab Emirates
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmciver View Post
Quote:

So I was curious about this and did a little poking around. As best I could tell, the remote engine start feature and the auto start/stop feature (which I really hate BTW) seem to be closely related. The wire diagram at the link below shows the primary components: The Body Domain Controller (BDC) and the Center Console Control Panel (where the engine start/stop button is located):

https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/g07-x7-xdrive40i-sav/components-connectors/components/components-with-a/a258-9-starter-motor/1VncgXbILQ

Looking at the BMW online parts catalog, there does not seem to be a different BDC for vehicles with different options. As for the Center Console Control Panel, there appear to be four different variants: with or without glass controls, and with or without Parking Assistance Plus. No mention of the Remote Engine Start Option (which is option code SA1CR).

So based on these limited findings, I will speculate that on the new G-Series BMWs that share this BDC (and there are a lot of them) and also have the same Center Console Control Panel (which is in the 8-series, X5, X6 & X7), Remote Start should be a codeable option that does not require additional hardware. Of course, knowing that it s codable, then actually finding the parameters to actually do it are two totally different things.... Also, whether or not this is an official BMW retrofit is a different matter as well. Although, on the previous generation X5 and 7-series, BMW did offer remote start as a dealer authorized retro fit so there is some hope...

With all the inherent automation that all car manufactures are adding to their modern car models now, it only makes sense that remote start capability should already be "built in" into the electronics in the car.
Thanks so much for this !! .... much appreciated

I didn't get time to speak to service when I picked up the car today but will pop by later in the week and let you know what they say.
      05-29-2020, 11:39 AM   #16
AlBoston
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2019 740i xdrive & 2018 640GT

Quote:

I didn't get time to speak to service when I picked up the car today but will pop by later in the week and let you know what they say.
Any updates on this? Looking at buying an X7 which dealer admittedly stupidly forgot to add the option. Dealer is clueless if it can be coded.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2020, 02:04 PM   #17
UKMS
Lieutenant
United Arab Emirates
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlBoston View Post
Quote:

Any updates on this? Looking at buying an X7 which dealer admittedly stupidly forgot to add the option. Dealer is clueless if it can be coded.
Apologies for not updating ....... current situation is that the technician has told me that in theory it can be done and it's easy to do, however the dealership are currently unable to offer it as a formal update at the moment but was told to 'watch this space' .... so I will keep on top of it.
      05-29-2020, 08:40 PM   #18
FreeDarko
Captain
Rep
Drives: F80

Quote:
Yes, you can start the vehicle immediately two ways. The first is with the BMW Connected app. The other is by pressing the lock button three times on the key Fob. You have to be within range for this to work while the app can be done from anywhere. Both of these will start the car and I assume the temperature is set to the last temperature setting when the car was turned off.
There is no feature in the App to set the temperature in the cabin like in Tesla?
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2020, 08:42 AM   #19
Auricom
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 xDrive40i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeDarko View Post
Quote:
There is no feature in the App to set the temperature in the cabin like in Tesla?
Nope, you can set temp preconditioning for departure time. The app is more informative than remote vehicle customization.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-10-2020, 08:53 AM   #20
makersmark
United_States
Rep
Drives: '19 X7 40i M Sport

Is there an update on whether as of now people with USA X7 2019 without Remote Start can have it added? That is ideally via software, but at least via a dealer hardware upgrade and if so what the cost roughly might be?

While there are of course third party options, this would be in reference to OEM solution so it can be done via the BMW Connected App, and compatible with the Display Key. I see in '21 it's finally standard, and for '19 people have said they believe it may only require a software update.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2020, 10:23 AM   #21
ifr
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Tesla MY LR AWD

If it's the same as the g05 then it's a software change Petrol only not diesel, needs coding and a 1CR specific FSC.

On the g05 retrofit is offered in Canada. It can be done independently of the dealer with coding knowledge and access to the FSC.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2020, 01:12 PM   #22
MystroX5
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2020 X7 M50i/ 911

Quote:
Originally Posted by makersmark View Post
Is there an update on whether as of now people with USA X7 2019 without Remote Start can have it added? That is ideally via software, but at least via a dealer hardware upgrade and if so what the cost roughly might be?

While there are of course third party options, this would be in reference to OEM solution so it can be done via the BMW Connected App, and compatible with the Display Key. I see in '21 it's finally standard, and for '19 people have said they believe it may only require a software update.
In the USA there was a option to upgrade to the drive recorder for a one time fee. I believe a remote start upgrade will be along soon as other countries are already offering this upgrade for a one time fee.
Appreciate 1