BMW
X7 and XM
forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW X7 (G07) Forums General BMW X7 Forum Rusty Rotors...

06-04-2020, 01:01 PM   #23
BlckX7
Private
Rep
Drives: 2020 Blk BMW x7

I have this same issue on my 2020 x7.

I brought the car in. The SA took photos and sent to approval by bmw.

He just called me back and said that BMW does not approve rust on rotors.

I pushed back, but he didnt budge. When I go in for the paint chip fix on my black exhaust tip (this they did approve) I will push further.

Lets see if they budge. This definitely should not be happening on a brand new car and its not even on the rotor.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2020, 01:45 PM   #24
mitch57
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW X7 xDrive40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by blck335i View Post

I pushed back, but he didnt budge. When I go in for the paint chip fix on my black exhaust tip (this they did approve) I will push further.

Lets see if they budge. This definitely should not be happening on a brand new car and its not even on the rotor.
Looks to me like the actual problem being identified to BMW is incorrect. All rotors will accumulate rust if they sit in damp/wet climates. However, the rust that is being shown here in this post is not on the rotor but on the hub. Maybe you should clarify this to the dealer and make sure the dealer is taking photos and describing the issue correctly. Based on your statement BMW is saying they don't warranty rust on the "Rotors". The pictures in this post don't show rust on the rotors. They show rust on the rotor hub.
Appreciate 1
Heimdall136.50
      06-06-2020, 12:57 AM   #25
Wanderer73
Major
Rep
Drives: X7 M50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlckX7 View Post

BTW - Paint on one of my SL exhaust tips is chipping away as well. They're replacing as well.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2020, 12:59 AM   #26
Wanderer73
Major
Rep
Drives: X7 M50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitch57 View Post
Quote:

Looks to me like the actual problem being identified to BMW is incorrect. All rotors will accumulate rust if they sit in damp/wet climates. However, the rust that is being shown here in this post is not on the rotor but on the hub. Maybe you should clarify this to the dealer and make sure the dealer is taking photos and describing the issue correctly. Based on your statement BMW is saying they don't warranty rust on the "Rotors". The pictures in this post don't show rust on the rotors. They show rust on the rotor hub.
Yes, good point. I showed them it was the hub/hat of the rotor. There was no confusion in my case.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2020, 09:01 AM   #27
jmciver
///M SubDriver
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3, 2020 X7 40i

Garage List
2017 BMW M3  [10.00]
2020 BMW X7  [0.00]
2019 BMW X3  [0.00]
2009 BMW 128i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanderer73 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitch57 View Post
Quote:

Yes, good point. I showed them it was the hub/hat of the rotor. There was no confusion in my case.
The SA knew exactly what you were talking about, this is not rocket science. They were just giving you a bit of the Heisman treatment to hopefully push you away and not have to deal with the issue. Fortunately, not all dealers are like this, especially if they know they are dealing with an informed and reasonable owner....

X3 XDrive 30i - 2019 G01 Mineral White (wife's) / 128i 6MT - 2009 E82 Jet Black (son's)
Appreciate 0