BMW
X7 and XM
forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Professional Motorsport Racing Discussion (IMSA, DTM, Formula 1, Grand-AM, Le Mans, IRL, WRC, etc..) 2011 Formula 1 Qantas Australian Grand Prix

03-29-2011, 02:09 PM   #155
O-cha
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Mcoupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by escobar929 View Post
I think you're prob right, when i saw it, I was like WOW, WTF!

but then i figured nothing would happen since it was obvious SV was gonna pass him sooner or later, he was on fresh tires while Buttons were pretty much gone
I still feel he probably should have been though. If button was able to hold him up enough hamilton could have taken the lead out of the pits.
      03-29-2011, 04:00 PM   #156
E90SLAM
Supreme Allied Commander
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: A BBS WHORE

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by O-cha View Post
I still feel he probably should have been though. If button was able to hold him up enough hamilton could have taken the lead out of the pits.
But I don't think we've seen the full potential of the RB7 chassis. After the first stint i felt SV is just pacing Hamilton without stressing too much on the Renault (Infiniti) engine and the car.

RB7 is a true monster....2.5 secs gap on the first lap!!!
      03-29-2011, 07:19 PM   #157
UltimateBMW
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: MP4

http://planetf1.com/news/18227/68413...RBR-front-wing

Quote:
The Milton Keynes team's wing caused a major storm at last year's German Grand Prix and the FIA was forced introduced heavier flex tests. Red Bull's cars passed the deflection tests and they've had no problems since then.

However, Hamilton has brought the issue back into the spotlight after Sebastian Vettel put in a dominant display at the season-opening Australian Grand Prix.

"Did you see Vettel's front wing?" he is quoted by Bild "It bends down to the ground and gives him about half a second. Either we [FIA] close this loophole or we [McLaren] copy it."

According to German paper, McLaren are considering lodging a protest with motor sport's governing body over the issue.

Red Bull advisor Helmut Marko hit back at accusations that their front wing is illegal, saying the whole saga is becoming "boring".

"They try it again and again.. And we pass each test."
      03-29-2011, 07:38 PM   #158
E90SLAM
Supreme Allied Commander
Hong Kong
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimateBMW View Post
I've had enough of that BS...RBR passed every single time during scrutineering...unless they bribe the stewards and scrutineers....

Otherwise...I do not need a reason to protest....Even if FIA accepts it, new rules won't be effective till next season in most cases.

It doesn't hide the fact that the RB7 chassis is so much better than anyone else on the grid...

I root for McLaren, and I wish they do less BS like this and work harder to improve the package instead....and let the results do the talking!
      03-29-2011, 08:02 PM   #159
E90SLAM
Supreme Allied Commander
Hong Kong
Rep

Garage List
What a pity...both drivers did well last weekend...

http://en.espnf1.com/sauber/motorsport/story/44623.html

Quote:
Sauber has announced that it will not be appealing its disqualification from the Australian Grand Prix.

Sergio Perez had secured a brilliant seventh place on his Formula One debut, stopping only once, while Kamui Kobayashi followed him home in eighth place. However, a post-race scrutineering check found both cars to have an uppermost rear wing element that contravened the regulations, and they were subsequently excluded.

The team said in a press release that it would not appeal, and technical director James Key confirmed that having looked in to the reasons for the disqualification, Sauber felt it had no grounds.

"It did not bring us any performance advantage, but the fact is that it was a deviation from the regulations. We take note of the stewards' decision," Key said. "We have since found that there was an error in the checking process for the relevant dimension on this component. We have already put measures in place to ensure that nothing of this kind occurs again in the future."

Team principal Peter Sauber paid tribute to the team's drivers, and pointed to the original finishing positions as reason for the team to take confidence in to the rest of the season.

"Both Sergio and Kamui put in a tremendous performance on Sunday," Sauber said. "They gained no advantage from the inaccurate rear wing. They both fought hard to secure their finishing places and had really earned their points. Notwithstanding the disappointment, we have shown that we have a fast car and two highly talented drivers. It makes me optimistic for this season.
      03-30-2011, 01:08 AM   #160
JCtx
Major General
Rep
Drives: No BMW yet

Quote:
Originally Posted by E90SLAM View Post
What a pity...both drivers did well last weekend...
I know, but kudos how they handled the disqualification; like real men. Hope they do well in the future. That Mexican rookie looks promising.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2011, 01:42 AM   #161
johanness
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2008 Z4MC

Garage List
Quote:
If button was able to hold him up enough hamilton could have taken the lead out of the pits.
Doubtful that was going to happen on THIS race. Button had a hard enough time with Massa (until his tires went), let alone Vettel.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2011, 08:20 AM   #162
E90SLAM
Supreme Allied Commander
Hong Kong
Rep

Garage List
Attached Images

03-30-2011, 09:57 AM   #163
TK-421
Registered Sex Offender
United_States
Rep
Drives: E46 M3 | 1JZ S13

That was a fantastic defending job by Massa in the beginning vs Button. Really enjoyed watching that and it's a shame the penalty wasn't enforced a hell of a lot sooner than it was, like the way ALMS does it. It looks like KERS and the new adjustable wings are aiding overtaking a little more so that should be fun to watch.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2011, 10:03 AM   #164
E90SLAM
Supreme Allied Commander
Hong Kong
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by TK-421 View Post
That was a fantastic defending job by Massa in the beginning vs Button. Really enjoyed watching that and it's a shame the penalty wasn't enforced a hell of a lot sooner than it was, like the way ALMS does it. It looks like KERS and the new adjustable wings are aiding overtaking a little more so that should be fun to watch.
It was to me the highlight of the race. It was a good battle.
However I would rather see Kobayashi overtake in Suzuka, or Hamilton/Button overtake in Montreal. More than these "assisted" overtakes.

I don't want "more" overtake, but "better" ones. The harder to overtake makes the succeed ones even sweeter!
      03-30-2011, 10:13 AM   #165
O-cha
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by johanness View Post
Doubtful that was going to happen on THIS race. Button had a hard enough time with Massa (until his tires went), let alone Vettel.
Doesn't matter how likely it was, the race outcome could have been effected by him not cheating. So he should have been penalized, especially given they just penalized the person he passed.

Again, it's about consistency.
      03-30-2011, 10:25 AM   #166
TK-421
Registered Sex Offender
United_States
Rep
Drives: E46 M3 | 1JZ S13

Quote:
Originally Posted by E90SLAM View Post
It was to me the highlight of the race. It was a good battle.
However I would rather see Kobayashi overtake in Suzuka, or Hamilton/Button overtake in Montreal. More than these "assisted" overtakes.

I don't want "more" overtake, but "better" ones. The harder to overtake makes the succeed ones even sweeter!
For sure. If you look at the the Senna/Villeneuve/Mansell days, their overtakings shit all over today's F1. I look back at videos of those days and wish that was the present
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2011, 11:09 PM   #167
johanness
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2008 Z4MC

Garage List
Quote:
Doesn't matter how likely it was, the race outcome could have been effected by him not cheating.
Cheating is a bit strong of a word. I'd say he used the track to his benefit. If they didn't want drivers doing that, then get some gravel or grass in that area and it won't happen. If u say they should have penalized him for that move... then they would've had to hand out penalties to half the field. Everyone goes wide. Vettel just happened to do it after his pass of Button. Besides, he lengthened the track. Not shortening it the way Button did on his detour.
Anyhoo... can't w8 for Malaysia!
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2011, 11:39 PM   #168
UltimateBMW
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: MP4

Quote:
Cheating is a bit strong of a word. I'd say he used the track to his benefit. If they didn't want drivers doing that, then get some gravel or grass in that area and it won't happen. If u say they should have penalized him for that move... then they would've had to hand out penalties to half the field. Everyone goes wide. Vettel just happened to do it after his pass of Button. Besides, he lengthened the track. Not shortening it the way Button did on his detour.
Melbourne is a city circuit. They can't just "add" grass or gravel to areas that are paved and used when F1 isn't in town.
      03-31-2011, 08:35 AM   #169
E90SLAM
Supreme Allied Commander
Hong Kong
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Melbourne is a city circuit. They can't just "add" grass or gravel to areas that are paved and used when F1 isn't in town.
That particular turn is actually a parking lot for the sport complex near by. I do not think they could've just put gravel or grass for run off area.

It is possible to put a wall but it will contradict FIA's guideline to introduce more "run-off" area.
      04-01-2011, 09:09 AM   #170
E90SLAM
Supreme Allied Commander
Hong Kong
Rep

Garage List
http://www.gpupdate.net/en/f1-news/2...sis-melbourne/
Attached Images
File Type: pdf GPUpdate.net_InDepthTyreAnalysis_Melbourne_2011.pdf (466.1 KB, 1972 views)
      04-03-2011, 07:31 PM   #171
O-cha
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Just because everyone does it doesn't make it right. But doing it during a passing maneuver definitely makes it even more wrong. In other words you had no point at all.

And As I already said having more track out makes you faster, you don't have the experience to know that I guess. But yes going the "long" way around on a pinched corner is actually faster.

Quote:
Not only that but all the drivers say that they HATE gravel. It's more dangerous then asphalt and you get stuck. They all say they would prefer asphalt because they can stop much faster.

You'll see the end of a lot of hairpins have asphalt or concrete for this reason. (also because most hairpins straights have been shortened over their life.)