BMW
X7 and XM
forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Professional Motorsport Racing Discussion (IMSA, DTM, Formula 1, Grand-AM, Le Mans, IRL, WRC, etc..) 2011 Formula 1 Ubs Chinese Grand Prix

04-18-2011, 09:23 AM   #133
E90SLAM
Supreme Allied Commander
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: A BBS WHORE

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimateBMW View Post
That is an interesting thought. Though, it seems to have bypassed the entire arming process and section of the track if the case.

Ferrari's DRS system is a trigger behind the wheel handles I believe. One on the left and one on the right. Whether both are for DRS or one is for KERS I don't know. But if they have individual functions I doubt he pressed the DRS one by mistake. Which then leads to, why did he push the DRS button in the first place?

This is mostly speculation though. I'll be happy to hear what the FIA finds out about it.
Exactly, but we can have all the fun to speculate.

From your speculation, then its possible when Fernando was trying to upshift and maybe accidently activated the DRS and somehow the system armed and allowed him to use.
      04-18-2011, 09:55 AM   #134
UltimateBMW
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: MP4

Quote:
Originally Posted by E90SLAM View Post
Exactly, but we can have all the fun to speculate.

From your speculation, then its possible when Fernando was trying to upshift and maybe accidently activated the DRS and somehow the system armed and allowed him to use.
Makes sense.
      04-18-2011, 09:59 AM   #135
KingOfJericho
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Yes

Garage List
2010 135i Coupe  [5.26]
I avoided this thread like the plague all weekend but I watched the race yesterday and can only say that it's races like this that make me love the sport. It was the first race that actually made me laugh out loud when Jenson pulled in to the RBR pit. It had to be infuriating for SV to lose radio. Again, I loved watching Kobayashi. I was also hugely impressed with Hamilton's race. Passing seemed effortless! It was also nice to see Schumi stir it up a bit. I would have to give the "best race" trophy to Webber, though. He really proved how great the car is and what the winning strategy was as far as tire choice.

Additionally, my first thought at the start of the race was WTF is the pole driver doing on the dirty side of the track and on the outside lane for the first turn? It's a stupid track design. SV mentioned this as well in the conference though he did admit to botching the start a bit (which we could clearly see in replay).

2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee High Altitude Hemi | 2010 S4 Sold | 2010 BMW 135i Retired | 2006 Lotus Exige Sold
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2011, 01:23 PM   #136
Echo M3
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Quote:
That is an interesting thought. Though, it seems to have bypassed the entire arming process and section of the track if the case.

Ferrari's DRS system is a trigger behind the wheel handles I believe. One on the left and one on the right. Whether both are for DRS or one is for KERS I don't know. But if they have individual functions I doubt he pressed the DRS one by mistake. Which then leads to, why did he push the DRS button in the first place?

This is mostly speculation though. I'll be happy to hear what the FIA finds out about it.
From James Allen's website:

"According to the BBC, the FIA explanation of the glitch was that Alonso’s system was activated late. Instead of opening 750 metres before Turn 14, it opened 300m before and was still active after the corner.
It’s clear he didn’t gain any advantage from it and it was a glitch so no penalty applies.
But the teams have three weeks to perfect the DRS system before the next race in Turkey, where it will again play a major role in the racing."

Just because it's Ferrari, there is no need to start raising the 'cheater' flag.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2011, 01:24 PM   #137
007MCoupe
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 Sakhir M3 ZCP

joining the discussion late.

That was my first time watching a F1 race but holy crap! I read up a little bit, to inform myself, beforehand on DRS and KERS and this and that. It was really amazing to me just how much of a difference the DRS really makes.

What an exciting race though! Webber drove his ass off!!!!

Also, I was wondering what Vettel was trying to communicate for the last half of the race, but couldn't. I was saying he needed tires, but my wife made a good argument for his KERS being dead.

Made a new formula fan sunday afternoon though. (recorded since it was on at 1am!)
      04-18-2011, 02:17 PM   #138
UltimateBMW
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pman10 View Post

"According to the BBC, the FIA explanation of the glitch was that Alonso’s system was activated late. Instead of opening 750 metres before Turn 14, it opened 300m before and was still active after the corner.
It’s clear he didn’t gain any advantage from it and it was a glitch so no penalty applies.
But the teams have three weeks to perfect the DRS system before the next race in Turkey, where it will again play a major role in the racing."

Just because it's Ferrari, there is no need to start raising the 'cheater' flag.
Luca De Montezemolo just made a big huff and puff announcement to demand performance from the Ferrari F1 team. So, knowing they are under such pressure I wouldn't put it past them.

But they didn't really gain much from it so I don't think it was intentional. Just not counting it out completely either since we don't know for sure either way.
      04-18-2011, 02:31 PM   #139
UltimateBMW
Brigadier General
Rep

On the driver of the day issue. I really can't believe how many Webber responses there are.

Webber put out a good drive but its got to go to Hamilton. He won first of all. Secondly, he broke up Vettel's 4 race winning streak.

Lets also not forget that Webber was only back in P18 because he SIGNIFICANTLY underperformed in qualifying. I doubt any other driver would get such a courtesy of "Driver of the Day" for a situation they put themselves into. Not to hate on Webber, he did a good job on race day. But it was really just getting himself back to the place in which his car should have been all along. The RB7 is still without a doubt the fastest car on the track.

Webber did have car issues, but it was mostly resolved by the time of Qualy save KERS which they didn't have nor need in the 2 previous races anyways. Since the car left the box without it on, there is no reason to assume it interrupted his brake balance either.
      04-18-2011, 02:35 PM   #140
007MCoupe
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 Sakhir M3 ZCP

Quote:
On the driver of the day issue. I really can't believe how many Webber responses there are.

Webber put out a good drive but its got to go to Hamilton. He won first of all. Secondly, he broke up Vettel's 4 race winning streak.

Lets also not forget that Webber was only back in P18 because he SIGNIFICANTLY underperformed in qualifying. I doubt any other driver would get such a courtesy of "Driver of the Day" for a situation they put themselves into. Not to hate on Webber, he did a good job on race day. But it was really just getting himself back to the place in which his car should have been all along. The RB7 is still without a doubt the fastest car on the track.

Webber did have car issues, but it was mostly resolved by the time of Qualy save KERS which they didn't have nor need in the 2 previous races anyways. Since the car left the box without it on, there is no reason to assume it interrupted his brake balance either.
i didn't know that about his qualifying 'efforts', or lack thereof. From the start, hamilton drove his ass off to. the way he closed in those last 10 or so laps was awesome. he cut a 5 second lead to nothing in 3 1/2 laps.
      04-18-2011, 02:44 PM   #141
phrozen06
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 328it, RIP M3, E46 Sold

Quote:
Originally Posted by phrozen06 View Post
Webber was on a mission. I've never seen a drive like that before even with his KERS not working.
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3_WC View Post
The current tires and DRS make a drive like this possible. A few years back he could have never done this, it was follow the leader. No matter how much quicker your car was, it was nearly impossible to overtake.
I'm not going to oversimplify his skillset. He still had to drive the car.
      04-18-2011, 02:50 PM   #142
ADV.1 Matt
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: N/A

Regardless of the arguments for best drive of the race... best F1 race i've seen in a LONG while. I was hooked from beginning to end and was jumping up and down like a little school girl when webber got into 3rd.

I think we could have the best racing season of F1 ever this year!
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2011, 03:06 PM   #143
KingOfJericho
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2010 135i Coupe  [5.26]
Quote:

I don't see how 2nd to 1st is more of an achievement than 18th to 3rd. Period.

2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee High Altitude Hemi | 2010 S4 Sold | 2010 BMW 135i Retired | 2006 Lotus Exige Sold
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2011, 03:10 PM   #144
E90SLAM
Supreme Allied Commander
Hong Kong
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by pman10 View Post

no one is raising any "cheating" flag...its like Button's drive-thru-RBR-pit, most likely is a honest mistake.

One thing I'm not sure of, was even if Fernando activated late, shouldn't the DRS de-activated and the flap flips back down once he hit the brakes?

My guess will be he accidently pressed the DRS again after Turn 15. plus the system glitch that armed the flap and allowed Fernando to use DRS.

Quote:

Definitely the fastest still, however like last year, unlucky and reliability cost Vettel 3/3 wins.

I'd guess the radio malfunction was the root cause.
Remember SPEED and BBC both saying these Pirelli's degrade so fast its like fall off a cliff. Race engineers cannot predict tire wear like they used to back in the Michelin/Bridgestone days. The Drivers had to inform the pitwall when they need fresh rubber.

I'm also guessing Vettel was trying to tell his race engineer his prime was going off and need fresh options about 1/4 left in the race. But the engineer unable to hear and Sebastian's lap time was consistent. But it was too late for pitstop once Hamilton closed in. So they sticked with the originally planned 2 stop strategy.

Vettel did a solid race despite worn tire made him looked like sitting duck in front of Hamilton.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADV.1 Matt View Post
Regardless of the arguments for best drive of the race... best F1 race i've seen in a LONG while. I was hooked from beginning to end and was jumping up and down like a little school girl when webber got into 3rd.

I think we could have the best racing season of F1 ever this year!
I was ecstatic when both McLaren jumped Vettel on the start! I told myself...this is going to be good.

If Vettel went on the lead like Melbourne and Sepang, Vettel might pull enough gap for an extra pit stop if needed.
      04-18-2011, 03:13 PM   #145
BTM
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: A///MERICAN!!!

Garage List
Quote:
Luca De Montezemolo just made a big huff and puff announcement to demand performance from the Ferrari F1 team. So, knowing they are under such pressure I wouldn't put it past them.

But they didn't really gain much from it so I don't think it was intentional. Just not counting it out completely either since we don't know for sure either way.
DRS is "armed" by the FIA, and "activated" by the driver. If the system isn't enabled the driver can press the button all he wants and nothing will happen. Unless you are thinking that Ferrari has some sort of override...though it would be a very dumb way to cheat since the wing angle can be seen by all...
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2011, 03:16 PM   #146
E90SLAM
Supreme Allied Commander
Hong Kong
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingOfJericho View Post
I think both did an awesome race, remember Hamilton was once dropped to P5 and overtook Button, Rosberg, Vettel, Massa on track. Great job!

However, definitely Webber stood out a bit more, exceeded everyone expectation. I'm sure back in his mind, before the race, him and everyone else would thought. If MW gets into Top 10 and grab some points will be just fine.
Taking a podium, I say no one can really predict before the race regardless how un-predictable the pirelli's are.
      04-18-2011, 03:43 PM   #147
ScotchAndCigar
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 128i space gray vert

Quote:
Lets also not forget that Webber was only back in P18 because he SIGNIFICANTLY underperformed in qualifying.
No. The team gambled with hard tires in Q1, along with no KERS.
"Webber had KERS problems in the morning, and unfathomably was sent out on hard tyres in Q1 as the team underestimated the time left to get two runs in and he thus failed to get them fully warmed up."
To say he underperformed is as ridiculous as saying Heidfeld couldn't drive in Australia - when he had damage from lap 1.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2011, 04:35 PM   #148
E90SLAM
Supreme Allied Commander
Hong Kong
Rep

Garage List
Some HRT, you don't see it often...
Attached Images

04-18-2011, 04:48 PM   #149
UltimateBMW
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScotchAndCigar View Post
No. The team gambled with hard tires in Q1, along with no KERS.
"Webber had KERS problems in the morning, and unfathomably was sent out on hard tyres in Q1 as the team underestimated the time left to get two runs in and he thus failed to get them fully warmed up."
To say he underperformed is as ridiculous as saying Heidfeld couldn't drive in Australia - when he had damage from lap 1.
Pretty sure for both previous 2011 races both RBR cars used only primes in Q1 with no KERS.

The precedent was set then, which is why the call for Primes was made.
      04-18-2011, 04:50 PM   #150
UltimateBMW
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by E90SLAM View Post
Some HRT, you don't see it often...
Can't believe they are still wearing the 'for sale' signs on the car during a race.
      04-18-2011, 04:55 PM   #151
UltimateBMW
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Would it be more significant if I said it was actually 3rd to 1st? I kidd.
      04-18-2011, 05:04 PM   #152
E90SLAM
Supreme Allied Commander
Hong Kong
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Can't believe they are still wearing the 'for sale' signs on the car during a race.

They don't really have any sponsors except TATA....Cosworth and Pirelli are given anyways...
Remember last year, there are big letters of the driver's first name on the sidepod....
      04-18-2011, 05:11 PM   #153
KingOfJericho
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2010 135i Coupe  [5.26]
Quote:
It's embarrassing...

Appreciate 0
      04-18-2011, 05:18 PM   #154
KANdaddy
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 22 M3C XDrive-Ind Grey Blk

Quote:
Agree. Not to mention LH had KERS as well and MW had no KERS. Both had amazing performances but MW's was the drive of the day.