BMW
X7 and XM
forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Professional Motorsport Racing Discussion (IMSA, DTM, Formula 1, Grand-AM, Le Mans, IRL, WRC, etc..) 2011 Formula 1 Santander British Grand Prix

07-08-2011, 12:05 PM   #45
E90SLAM
Supreme Allied Commander
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: A BBS WHORE

Garage List
Attached Images

07-08-2011, 02:04 PM   #46
escobar929
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M2 CS

Garage List
2020 M2 CS  [10.00]
2020 M240i  [0.00]
rain could def make this more interesting, hope it rains all weekend!
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2011, 03:36 PM   #47
E90SLAM
Supreme Allied Commander
Hong Kong
Rep

Garage List
Gosh...

Quote:
Concessions made by the FIA over its supposed ban on off-throttle blown diffusers kicked off a row between Red Bull boss Christian Horner and McLaren boss Martin Whitmarsh on Friday.

During the team principals' press conference at the British Grand Prix the pair argued over who had been hit hardest by the regulation clarification, which was only finalised during first practice on Friday.

Ever since the Spanish Grand Prix the FIA has made clear that it is not happy about the teams using exhaust gases to improve the performance of the diffuser when the driver is off the throttle, but this is the first race at which it has taken action. Originally it announced it would restrict the throttle opening to just 10% when the driver is off the accelerator, but Whitmarsh revealed that the Renault engine, which powers Red Bull, is still running at 50% for reliability purposes.

"Well we learnt half-way through the session that Christian hadn't lost as much as we expected, as obviously the rules are slightly fluid and appear to change by the hour at the moment," he said.

Whitmarsh added: "I think the expectation is that when you are off the throttle the engine throttles would be closed but there has been a negotiation and as I understand Renault's throttles are 50% open under braking and I think that is probably not what most of us expected coming into this event. That's been a little bit of a revelation that we gathered during the course of the sessions today and we are trying to understand what we have to do."

Horner hit back saying that, while his engines cold-blow the diffuser for reliability purposes, the Mercedes engines powering McLaren had also been offered a concession, and both were based on previous years' engine configurations. He revealed that one of the FIA's six technical directives on the subject allowed for fuel to be fired through four of the engines eight cylinders on over-run (known as hot blowing), which favoured McLaren and Ferrari.

"Martin's interpretation is interesting," he said. "My understanding is that Mercedes are firing on over-run. There has been a series of technical directives that have happened since Valencia and the latest technical directive is quite clear in that engines that have been run in previous configurations the FIA would take into account on an equitable basis.

"Mercedes argued that they're over-running that they currently do was permitted, which was granted I believe on certain handling characteristics that if offered on a historical basis, and Renault is no different to that. Renault is in a situation as an engine supplier, not just to Red Bull but to two other teams as well, where again precedents have been set in 2009 and 2010."

Christian Horner and Martin Whitmarsh debate the new regulations © Sutton Images
Enlarge
The pair later kicked off into a full-blown row over who had been hit hardest.

Whitmarsh argued: "I think that to do this and to do it in a fairly cloudy and ambiguous and changing way inevitably, in a competitive environment, every team feels that it's been hard done by. At the moment, I think potentially a lot of teams will end up making the argument to cold blow. Renault have been in that domain for some time, other teams haven't and don't have that experience but we're talking about a very substantial performance benefit here."

Horner disagreed: "Why is it any more of a performance benefit than fired over-run? If you can operate your engine in the same way as the Renault, then you are welcome to do it. The secondary effect, I think it is wrong to suggest that there is a benefit beyond that."

The only factor they could agree on is that the regulation changes should have been postponed until the end of the year and that it has left F1 in a complicated mess.

Lotus team principal Tony Fernandes summed up the thoughts of many in the paddock.

"As someone who is very new to the sport, in that I think it's a little bit of a shambles that we're having these kind of discussions, I think you don't have that in many other sports," he said. "The rules should be very clear, everyone should understand them and they should be pretty black and white. It costs the sport a lot of money. I think that one of the dangers of the sport is changing the interpretations, it's really got to be black and white and I think it can be."
http://en.espnf1.com/greatbritain/mo...ory/53658.html
      07-08-2011, 03:46 PM   #48
E90SLAM
Supreme Allied Commander
Hong Kong
Rep

Garage List
Attached Images

07-08-2011, 06:21 PM   #49
Echo M3
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by E90SLAM View Post
What a mess. I don't care much for the current season's 'competitiveness' (or lack thereof), but there never should have been a rule change mid-season in the first place. And then, making a rule specific to just Renault? *sigh*
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2011, 09:11 PM   #50
inTgr8r
Lieutenant General
Canada
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

I'm done with F1 for this year
'07 Z4 M Coupe Alpine White (sold)
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2011, 12:27 AM   #51
gary88
Ikea enthusiast
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 E92 335i

Garage List
2007 E92 335i  [7.96]
That crash Kobayashi had in FP1 was nuts. Who thought having grass there would be a good idea?
      07-09-2011, 12:29 AM   #52
UltimateBMW
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: MP4

Quote:
Originally Posted by gary88 View Post
That crash Kobayashi had in FP1 was nuts. Who thought having grass there would be a good idea?
I don't think just having the grass there was the danger. It was that the tarmac ramped up a bit just before the grass to meet it. This is what caused the car to get a bit airborne.
      07-09-2011, 12:31 AM   #53
UltimateBMW
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by inTgr8r View Post
I'm done with F1 for this year
So, we'll see you on Sunday then?

Really, don't let the politics get in the way. Politics are in everything, whether you see it or not. And they certainly won't be going away any time soon, definitely not while the sport still has a financial aspect. (As all sports do.)

Fret not, the race should be great regardless.
      07-09-2011, 12:33 AM   #54
UltimateBMW
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pman10 View Post
And then, making a rule specific to just Renault? *sigh*
Basically, Renault got to keep 50% of their cold overblow and Mercedes got to keep their hot-overblow using 4 cylinders. Whether this really turns out to be a equal reduction in performance we don't know. As the Renault system was believed to be better performing I'd say they still have an advantage.

So from that aspect, I am saddened that the FIA went lax on the rules.
      07-09-2011, 07:27 AM   #55
Blake
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Chevy Aveo

So excited. Great q2 coming
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2011, 08:42 AM   #56
jonasaurus
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 [Sold]

Congrats to Mark for pole!
      07-09-2011, 09:08 AM   #57
E90SLAM
Supreme Allied Commander
Hong Kong
Rep

Garage List
Attached Images

07-09-2011, 11:01 AM   #58
Blake
Banned
No_Country
Rep

quali was great. the rain got everybody pretty excited, but turned out to be much of a non-event. alonso went off in Q1 right near where i was sitting. i took a ton of pictures and videos, but the experience was just thrilling. the sound of the cars is great on TV, but live is simply like angels singing. didn't even bother with the ear plugs. i'll take a little hearing damage over not getting to hear the full roar of those engines.

unfortunately, it seems as i've forgotten my SD card reader, plus the hotel internet is like 56k speed. i'll have to upload them when i get home on tuesday. headed back to the race tomorrow morning with a couple kiwis i met that are going to hook me up with a paddock pass, if all goes as planned.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2011, 11:03 AM   #59
Blake
Banned
No_Country
Rep

oh anyone in the london area that wants to go tomorrow, i'll have an extra ticket for the race tomorrow. my friend has to return to milan in the morning. i'm leaving out of euston station about 10:00 on a virgin train to milton keynes. PM me if you're interested.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2011, 01:55 PM   #60
E90SLAM
Supreme Allied Commander
Hong Kong
Rep

Garage List
Too bad I'm not in London...
Attached Images

07-09-2011, 03:19 PM   #61
yakev724
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 15 S3

What happened to LH? I never watch Q but expected better from him.

Damn blake, looks like an amazing time
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2011, 05:15 PM   #62
UltimateBMW
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by yakev724 View Post
What happened to LH? I never watch Q but expected better from him.

Damn blake, looks like an amazing time
It would seem that McLaren was hit the hardest by the new regulations. For all of Red Bull's worries and complaints.
      07-09-2011, 08:39 PM   #63
raisemyrent
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: Black Sapphire 428i xD GC

SEEMS like Webber is better able to drive the car than Vettel with the new engine mapping. We shall wait and see.

Anyone in the UK want to do a rain dance for me?
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2011, 09:03 PM   #64
EINSER M
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW i3 rex

Garage List
conspiracy failed
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2011, 11:48 PM   #65
UltimateBMW
Brigadier General
Rep

Not sure if it's been mentioned but the FIA decided to drop the entire thing. Next race will re-allow the blown diffusers. So it was all for nothing as of right now.
      07-09-2011, 11:52 PM   #66
TK-421
Registered Sex Offender
United_States
Rep
Drives: E46 M3 | 1JZ S13

politics... smh
Appreciate 0