BMW
X7 and XM
forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Off-Topic Discussions Board Health, Fitness, Martial Arts, and Nutrition Caloric intake

03-03-2023, 08:02 AM   #1
2008M36MT
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M3

I’m 5’10, about 180lbs. I figured out my BMR+activity, I lift weights 6 days a week for 50 minutes. Says it’s around 2600 calories to maintain my weight.
Bottom line, if I eat more than 2000 calories I gain weight. When I cut, I lose weight at 1000 calories daily because otherwise it takes too long.
Am I just different? I want to eat more, but how much I should be eating doesn’t line up with the real world results.
Appreciate 1
chassis6375.00
      03-03-2023, 08:36 AM   #2
M3ntal_F80
New M3 Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M3

Depends on what you're eating. When I'm wanting to lose weight, I decrease my carb intake, but keep my protein intake high.

Everyone is a little different and not all "diets" work, but the tried and true calories in vs calories out is the only consistent method. But you have to remember the type of calories you're taking in really matters.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2023, 09:16 AM   #3
Oldgixxer
Captain
Rep
Drives: nothing fast

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2008M36MT View Post
Bottom line, if I eat more than 2000 calories I gain weight. When I cut, I lose weight at 1000 calories daily because otherwise it takes too long
Can you elaborate please?
-'22 X3MC,'20 M550i,'18 X2,F30 328xi,'07 E63 AMG (1st W211 63 in the 11s),997 C4S Cab,CLS55 AMG,E55 AMG,C55AMG
Appreciate 1
      03-03-2023, 09:41 AM   #4
2008M36MT
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lj_F80 View Post
Depends on what you're eating. When I'm wanting to lose weight, I decrease my carb intake, but keep my protein intake high.

Everyone is a little different and not all "diets" work, but the tried and true calories in vs calories out is the only consistent method. But you have to remember the type of calories you're taking in really matters.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldgixxer View Post
Can you elaborate please?
The Mayo clinic says it’s calories in vs out, shouldn’t matter what I’m eating, and I have found that to be true with various diets over the years, in some where I ate healthy, in others where I ate unhealthy.

Elaborating, losing about 15-17 pounds in 12 weeks (including I initial water weight). It’s the maintenance phase that’s always had me confused. I’m lifting every day, muscles are growing, but I’m getting fatter. That 15 pounds that I lost at 1000 calories a day has come back just as fast, well maybe 10 lbs of it, eating 2000 calories a day. When I see people of a similar build eating 2800 calories for maintenance, I wonder why I can’t do the same.
Appreciate 1
chassis6375.00
      03-03-2023, 09:56 AM   #5
chassis
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 9Y0 Cayenne S

Garage List
Caloric intake, or rather caloric balance, is the single most important factor in weight management.

2008M36MT how confident are you that you are accurately recording all calories consumed? All beverages (coffee with cream and sugar, juice, flavored drinks, etc.), and snack and desserts must be included no matter how small.

I eat a bit more than 2k calories, 6’ and a bit, less than 170lbs, moderate activity level. Weight has been stable or a very slight downward trend.

My guess is you are not fully including all calories. It’s common.
Appreciate 1
      03-03-2023, 09:59 AM   #6
2008M36MT
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chassis View Post
Caloric intake, or rather caloric balance, is the single most important factor in weight management.

2008M36MT how confident are you that you are accurately recording all calories consumed? All beverages (coffee with cream and sugar, juice, flavored drinks, etc.), and snack and desserts must be included no matter how small.
Yes, when I’m on it, I’m on it. And even if there’s deviation, there’s not enough deviation to cause weight gain of this magnitude. I do find it weird as well that most men say they lose weight at 1700 calories or thereabout. I’m dying every day at 1000 calories and it’s not as if I’m seeing 2-3 pounds a week or something extreme. I’m right at 1.5 pounds per week.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2023, 10:06 AM   #7
Oldgixxer
Captain
Rep

There's a lot of variables as I'm sure you're aware. Age,test levels,T3/T4,etc etc all play a major role in how we metabolize.
When you basically cut your calories in half to lose weight,how is your strength? Do your muscles look "flat"?
I'm no expert by any means but when you cut your cals that drastically your glycogen-stores are depleted so one would feel weak and unable to get a pump when lifting weights(at least thats how it is for me).
-'22 X3MC,'20 M550i,'18 X2,F30 328xi,'07 E63 AMG (1st W211 63 in the 11s),997 C4S Cab,CLS55 AMG,E55 AMG,C55AMG
Appreciate 2
M4Tejas728.00
      03-03-2023, 11:30 AM   #8
tcphoto
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 335i 6MT Coupe

Everyone has a different metabolism and you've got to figure out how your body processes different foods. How much fat, processed foods and sugar do you consume? Alcohol is a big factor in the equation also, eliminate it and you may see the biggest difference.
      03-03-2023, 11:32 AM   #9
G35POPPEDMYCHERRY
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F80

calories is such a vague indicator and for someone who lifts 6 times a week which is also too much you really need to get some knowledge of macros and rest days.

respect
Appreciate 2
chassis6375.00
      03-03-2023, 11:41 AM   #10
M3ntal_F80
New M3 Owner
United_States
Rep

Quote:
The Mayo clinic says it’s calories in vs out, shouldn’t matter what I’m eating, and I have found that to be true with various diets over the years, in some where I ate healthy, in others where I ate unhealthy.
It greatly matters what you're eating. If you don't beleive this, then perhaps that is why you're having to ask.

I'm just trying to help you out. If you don't want to take what I say into consideration, then so be it. Believe what you want and continue to question why you're having issues.

I can eat junk food, but keep it at 2000 calories or less a day and look and feel like shit or I can eat healthy at 2000 calories a day and lose weight and look great.

I'm an old man compared to most on here. I've been over weight and made lifestyle changes to where I'm in the best shape of my life at 40. I've tried it all and have found what works for me. You'll need to keep making changes until you find what works for you.

Rather than believing what the Mayo Clinic has to say, how about you just try it and find out? I've completely cut out carbs for short cycles (6 months or less) and got completely shredded. I'm sure the Mayo Clinic has something negative to say about that, but it doesn't matter in my book. It worked great for me. Now it's not something that is sustainable for a long period, but knowing how it's worked for me in the past, it's something I go to when I feel I need to lose a drastic amount of weight in a short time.

I'll give you what I'm currently doing and what's working for me. I try to take in at least 200 grams of protein a day. That is my baseline. Cutting or maintenance I'm at 200 grams. If I'm bulking, I'll increase it. For carbs, if I'm drastically trying to cut I go 50 grams a day or less. If I'm not on an extreme cut, but want to try and lose some weight, I'll keep it around 100-150 grams. For maintenance I'll be around 200-300 grams depending on my workout routine. For bulking it'll be at least 300 grams. I don't really have a set caloric intake I follow, but for the most part I keep it around 2-2500 a day during a cut, 3-3500 to maintain, and 4000+ on a bulk.

Now what you seem to have an issue with is the type of food. I don't eat fast food or junk food daily. Typically I'll give myself a cheat day where I enjoy what I want. This typically falls on Saturdays during a fight night or Sundays during football season. You think you won't notice a difference eating 4000 calories of fast food a day vs 4000 calories coming from lean meats, healthy vegetables and clean carbs?

edit: To clarify I'm 6 foot and range between 200-215 pounds depending on goals and time of year. My goal is 1 gram of protein per pound of body weight, hence 200 grams of protein a day. Some will say 1 gram per pound of lean muscle, but I'm too lazy to try and calculate that and prefer to just go with the lazy method of 1 gram per pound.
Appreciate 2
Oldgixxer1689.50
KevinGS3287.00
      03-03-2023, 01:36 PM   #11
2008M36MT
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
It greatly matters what you're eating. If you don't beleive this, then perhaps that is why you're having to ask.

I'm just trying to help you out. If you don't want to take what I say into consideration, then so be it. Believe what you want and continue to question why you're having issues.

I can eat junk food, but keep it at 2000 calories or less a day and look and feel like shit or I can eat healthy at 2000 calories a day and lose weight and look great.

I'm an old man compared to most on here. I've been over weight and made lifestyle changes to where I'm in the best shape of my life at 40. I've tried it all and have found what works for me. You'll need to keep making changes until you find what works for you.

Rather than believing what the Mayo Clinic has to say, how about you just try it and find out? I've completely cut out carbs for short cycles (6 months or less) and got completely shredded. I'm sure the Mayo Clinic has something negative to say about that, but it doesn't matter in my book. It worked great for me. Now it's not something that is sustainable for a long period, but knowing how it's worked for me in the past, it's something I go to when I feel I need to lose a drastic amount of weight in a short time.

I'll give you what I'm currently doing and what's working for me. I try to take in at least 200 grams of protein a day. That is my baseline. Cutting or maintenance I'm at 200 grams. If I'm bulking, I'll increase it. For carbs, if I'm drastically trying to cut I go 50 grams a day or less. If I'm not on an extreme cut, but want to try and lose some [...]
That’s great advice, and I definitely don’t disagree, during cutting cycles where I ate shit food, the food was stuff like 4 slices of pizza all day, another day it 3 cookies from Crumbl if I was missing a sugar high. Did I feel unwell overall compared to a healthy cut? Yes. Is it better to do it right regardless of how you feel? Yes. My response to the original respondent was that it doesn’t matter what you eat, you can lose weight all the same, so long as you maintain a reduced caloric intake, at least for me.
Now, I also want to try the Keto diet. I have both psychological and physical conditions that could be well served by keto. Keto is just difficult for me because I can eat a chipotle bowl with queso and salsa only all day every day but that’s heavily skewed in favor of a high protein diet.
When I see people say 200g protein a day, I know that may be optimal for working out and getting cut or putting on muscle, I also believe it does have detrimental effects on kidney function long term and the asshole short term. I’m sure it’s better than 3 Crumbl cookies in a day.
My frustration comes from not being able within the metrics of every calculator out there. The only time I feel truly full is when I eat 2500+ calories a day, but then I gain weight regardless of working out.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2023, 01:56 PM   #12
diablo2112
2024 M440i GC (G26)
Rep
Drives: 2024 M440i Gran Coupe

Everybody’s different. For me, it was simple calories in vs calories out. I got overweight during the first year of the pandemic. I did something on both sides of the equation. Got a consistent cardio workout everyday of at least 30 minutes (and documented this on my Apple Watch; closing my rings everyday was a great motivator). I also watched what I ate. The key was finding healthy foods that didn’t leave me hungry but were low-cal. Hence, the Rabbit diet.

Pretty much salads every meal, with a bit of protein. I’m the king of salads now. I use my food processor to make incredibly yummy salads with all sorts of good stuff like carrots, radishes, jicama, celery, etc. Basically, crunchy veggies that make you feel full and have basically no calories. I make a huge bowl that will last a week, and have 10-15 servings from this over many days. Another god-send was Newman’s Own Ginger Dressing. Seriously. Tastes beyond delicious, and is 1/4 the calories of regular dressing. Makes salad tempting and non-boring. I buy this stuff by the case now.

This all worked fantastically well. I lost 60 pounds in the spring of 2021, and I’ve kept it off now 2 years later. All my health stats are way, way better, too. Super happy with these changes.
Appreciate 1
chassis6375.00
      03-03-2023, 02:15 PM   #13
M3ntal_F80
New M3 Owner
United_States
Rep

Quote:
That’s great advice, and I definitely don’t disagree, during cutting cycles where I ate shit food, the food was stuff like 4 slices of pizza all day, another day it 3 cookies from Crumbl if I was missing a sugar high. Did I feel unwell overall compared to a healthy cut? Yes. Is it better to do it right regardless of how you feel? Yes. My response to the original respondent was that it doesn’t matter what you eat, you can lose weight all the same, so long as you maintain a reduced caloric intake, at least for me.
Now, I also want to try the Keto diet. I have both psychological and physical conditions that could be well served by keto. Keto is just difficult for me because I can eat a chipotle bowl with queso and salsa only all day every day but that’s heavily skewed in favor of a high protein diet.
When I see people say 200g protein a day, I know that may be optimal for working out and getting cut or putting on muscle, I also believe it does have detrimental effects on kidney function long term and the asshole short term. I’m sure it’s better than 3 Crumbl cookies in a day.
My frustration comes from not being able within the metrics of every calculator out there. The only time I feel truly full is when I eat 2500+ calories a day, but then I gain weight regardless of working out.
I've been eating roughly 200 grams of protein a day for years and have never had any issues. Bloodwork has always come back great. Funny thing about keto. On my last visit to the Dr to get my labs reviewed she asked me if I followed a keto diet. I told her I didn't, but I do follow a low carb diet most of the time. She told me I was practically at ketosis, lol. So it's not as difficult as it may appear. One kind of trick that I do when I'm feeling like I want to eat shitty food is I'll fast for an entire day and then enjoy what I want for dinner. It's not the smartest choice, and definitely not something you want to do every day, but every once in a while I find it helps me mentally and I don't gain weight or feel like shit the next day.

My numbers work for me, you'll need to play around and find what works for you. I find that protein helps me feel full. I'm not talking about just protein shakes. I'm talking fish, lean red meat, chicken breasts, etc.

A lot of dieting is all mental. Yeah, you may feel hungry during the day and especially at night, but as long as you're getting your nutrients in during the day, you're good. Over time you'll get used to the feeling of hunger. One thing to add, if you haven't already, have you tried intermittent fasting? When I'm in weight loss mode, I'll follow a 16/8 fast. I typically won't eat past 8 pm and my first meal will be around noon. I find this helps with feeling hungry during the later part of the day as I'm only eating all my meals in an 8 hour window.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2023, 02:22 PM   #14
chassis
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 9Y0 Cayenne S

Garage List
Quote:
Yes, when I’m on it, I’m on it. And even if there’s deviation, there’s not enough deviation to cause weight gain of this magnitude. I do find it weird as well that most men say they lose weight at 1700 calories or thereabout. I’m dying every day at 1000 calories and it’s not as if I’m seeing 2-3 pounds a week or something extreme. I’m right at 1.5 pounds per week.
This doesn't make sense. 1000 calories is a very low intake. You should feel terrible with that level of intake. I know I would.

Precisely what, and how much have you eaten in the past three days?
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2023, 02:38 PM   #15
2008M36MT
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
I've been eating roughly 200 grams of protein a day for years and have never had any issues. Bloodwork has always come back great. Funny thing about keto. On my last visit to the Dr to get my labs reviewed she asked me if I followed a keto diet. I told her I didn't, but I do follow a low carb diet most of the time. She told me I was practically at ketosis, lol. So it's not as difficult as it may appear. One kind of trick that I do when I'm feeling like I want to eat shitty food is I'll fast for an entire day and then enjoy what I want for dinner. It's not the smartest choice, and definitely not something you want to do every day, but every once in a while I find it helps me mentally and I don't gain weight or feel like shit the next day.

My numbers work for me, you'll need to play around and find what works for you. I find that protein helps me feel full. I'm not talking about just protein shakes. I'm talking fish, lean red meat, chicken breasts, etc.

A lot of dieting is all mental. Yeah, you may feel hungry during the day and especially at night, but as long as you're getting your nutrients in during the day, you're good. Over time you'll get used to the feeling of hunger. One thing to add, if you haven't already, have you tried intermittent fasting? When I'm in weight loss mode, I'll follow a 16/8 fast. I typically won't eat past 8 pm and my first meal will be around noon. I find this helps with feeling hungry during the later part of the day as I'm only eating all my meals in an 8 hour window.
Yep I’m with you. I sometimes skip a days worth of food entirely and eat that deficit on day 2. But when I intermittent fast I only eat one meal a day every 16 hours, I’ve found that to be the only way I can enjoy food and feel less hungry.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2023, 02:40 PM   #16
2008M36MT
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chassis View Post
This doesn't make sense. 1000 calories is a very low intake. You should feel terrible with that level of intake. I know I would.

Precisely what, and how much have you eaten in the past three days?
3 days ago…2 Chick-fil-A sandwiches and a 150 calorie protein shake.
2 days ago…150 calorie protein shake…forgot to eat.
1 day ago…chipotle bowl with double chicken, queso and extra red sauce.
Today…same as yesterday.
It’s under 1000 calories, still lose only 1.5lbs on average each week.
This time Ozempic is helping curb cravings.
Yes I feel shitty, yes I feel like I need to eat more, but over 20 years and this is the only way I lose weight. I feel 1700 is my maintenance, not 2600.
Appreciate 1
chassis6375.00
      03-03-2023, 02:52 PM   #17
Oldgixxer
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Just for shits&giggles would you mind posting what you typically eat on a daily basis,meal for meal? I'm curious to see.

FWIW,I've been into lifting/dieting/nutrition for the better part of 30yrs(again,I'm no expert its just a hobby) and I've got my nutrition down pat but it took a long time of trial and error;what works for me or others may not work for you but there are a few basic fundamentals that apply regardless of the individual. I'm always interested in hearing what works for others as we all share the same goal: to look and feel our best regardless of age or genetic disposition

**Disregard,I just saw your post above mine

Are you using Ozempic off label for weight loss or do you have A1C issues? The loss of appetite and how little you eat is most likely one of the sides due to the Ozempic. Totally different topic however
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2023, 02:59 PM   #18
2008M36MT
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Just for shits&giggles would you mind posting what you typically eat on a daily basis,meal for meal? I'm curious to see.

FWIW,I've been into lifting/dieting/nutrition for the better part of 30yrs(again,I'm no expert its just a hobby) and I've got my nutrition down pat but it took a long time of trial and error;what works for me or others may not work for you but there are a few basic fundamentals that apply regardless of the individual. I'm always interested in hearing what works for others as we all share the same goal: to look and feel our best regardless of age or genetic disposition
I posted above what I’m eating on a cut in the post above but you’d be flabbergasted because it truly is bordering on starvation.
But on a daily basis when I’m maintaining I eat like your average American.
Usually day starts with a protein shake…powder pb, banana and kirkland protein shake…about 400-450 calories.
Then mid day it may be a snack like a donut about 350 calories.
Then dinner usually a subway sandwich or something made at home, about 900 calories.
If I start adding dessert, and I’m addicted to sugars, then I go to about 2300 to 2500 calories. Desert is usually ice cream or a cookie and a half. That’s when I notice weight gain. So I know where the thresholds are, they’re just way low for a 37 year old that lifts 6 days a week. It’s a bummer.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2023, 03:00 PM   #19
2008M36MT
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:

**Disregard,I just saw your post above mine

Are you using Ozempic off label for weight loss or do you have A1C issues? The loss of appetite and how little you eat is most likely one of the sides due to the Ozempic. Totally different topic however
Ozempic off label for weight loss, though my BMI is not anywhere near the threshold for obesity. I am currently trying it as an appetite suppressant. It does work, I’m less hungry, more full even when I eat the little amount that I do, but I am on 0.25 injections, max dose is 2.5, so we’ll see if I go up if it’ll work even better.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2023, 03:03 PM   #20
Oldgixxer
Captain
Rep

Quote:
I posted above what I’m eating on a cut in the post above but you’d be flabbergasted because it truly is bordering on starvation.
But on a daily basis when I’m maintaining I eat like your average American.
Usually day starts with a protein shake…powder pb, banana and kirkland protein shake…about 400-450 calories.
Then mid day it may be a snack like a donut about 350 calories.
Then dinner usually a subway sandwich or something made at home, about 900 calories.
If I start adding dessert, and I’m addicted to sugars, then I go to about 2300 to 2500 calories. Desert is usually ice cream or a cookie and a half. That’s when I notice weight gain. So I know where the thresholds are, they’re just way low for a 37 year old that lifts 6 days a week. It’s a bummer.
Thank you for your honesty...That is a horrible plan and of course you're gaining weight as would be expected. Much to be improved there if you ever decide to get serious about your nutrition. Best of luck to you sir
Appreciate 2
chassis6375.00
2008M36MT590.00
      03-03-2023, 03:14 PM   #21
wtwo3
Major General
Rep
Drives: 23 X7 40i; 23 M3; 24 cooper s

Garage List
Quote:
I try to take in at least 200 grams of protein a day.
Not to take this too off-topic... but I've always struggled with this - taking in 150-200 grams of protein a day. I struggle to physically intake that much protein in a day, I just get so incredibly full it's like I'm forcing myself to eat more to take in any more protein. And that's with the aid of a protein shake and a protein bar (30g and 20g respectively) during the day. How are you able to take in so much protein without having to totally force yourself? Or am I just not meant to handle so much?

'20 BMW m340i... '20 BMW X5 40i... '16 Infiniti Q50 RS 400... '10 Lexus RX 350... '08 Lexus IS 350... '00 Nissan Maxima... '93 Nissan Maxima
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2023, 03:39 PM   #22
M3ntal_F80
New M3 Owner
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by wtwo3 View Post
Not to take this too off-topic... but I've always struggled with this - taking in 150-200 grams of protein a day. I struggle to physically intake that much protein in a day, I just get so incredibly full it's like I'm forcing myself to eat more to take in any more protein. And that's with the aid of a protein shake and a protein bar (30g and 20g respectively) during the day. How are you able to take in so much protein without having to totally force yourself? Or am I just not meant to handle so much?
I used to only drink one shake a day, post workout. I always thought I was getting enough protein. Then I got a food scale that is Bluetooth with an app and found out I was only getting about 100 grams a day. I've increased my shakes to 2 or 3 a day and just added more protein to each meal. I will say I can eat a lot. I spread my meals out during the day. I weigh my protein powder out to at least 30 grams a shake. I was surprised that when I actually weighed out each scoop it was not what the label claimed a scoop totaled.

To help with costs, I have started to buy protein in bulk. I get 15 pounds of protein for about $115. Usually lasts me 5-6 months.

Now I typically don't follow my diet during the weekend, so my numbers are off Saturday and Sunday. But Monday through Friday I'm dialed in.
Appreciate 1
wtwo317882.00