BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW X7 (G07) Forums General BMW X7 Forum Opinion of the 40i vs. 50i/M50i

03-05-2020, 08:32 AM   #1
LittleJoe
Major
Rep
Drives: 2023 EQS 580 SUV

Opinion of the 40i vs. 50i/M50i

I know engine choices are a very personal thing but I wanted to share my thoughts on these two engine choices. We own a 2019 50i and I've driven several 40i's, most recently yesterday when I took our X7 into the shop for a state inspection and they gave me a 40i as a loaner. The inline six is smooth and quiet and can propel the X7 very nicely. And I originally wanted the inline six but the dealership made us an offer we couldn't refuse on the 50i so here we are. But after a year with the V8, driving the inline six just doesn't feel right to me. I feel I have to mash the pedal and spin up the turbos to get it moving from a stop. Our V8 takes off like a powerhouse spaceship. You get use to that and when it's not there you miss it. Out on the highway is where its most obvious. Passing slow moving traffic in the V8 is glorious. The downside is the poor fuel economy. That is where you pay the piper. But we own our cars and can afford the gas so after several test drives I'm confident our next X7 will be the M50i.

What's your take? And remember, there's no need to criticizes another persons opinion. If you can afford a X7 you have just as much right as the next owner to state your views.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2020, 09:41 AM   #2
Wild Blue
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X7 M50i, 2004 330i w/ZHP

Having test driven each of the three X7 variants, multiple times, my take is that the 40i has plenty of power, and will satisfy everyone except the most power hungry. More than sufficient for a SUV of this size.

The 50i is nice, but as I personally must have the Sport package, that rules out the 50i.

The M50i is just monster power. So much fun. I'm tempted to go with the M50i because (1) top line model, (2) excessive fun power, and (3) get a few smaller things that aren't available in the 40i, like laser lights. However, I do NOT like the cerium grey finish for multiple reasons, mostly (1) aesthetics and (2) it shows fingerprints and wear VERY excessively. Thankfully, I'll be getting the shadowline package, regardless of which model, which would replace all the cerium trim, and choose non-cerium wheels.

However, recently I'm reconsidering the 40i, as I'll be purchasing this X7 for a long-term 10+ year ownership, and the BMW I-6 engines have so much more of a better long-term record than the V-8's. That alone may make the 40i the better choice for owners like me, looking for an extended ownership.
Appreciate 1
LittleJoe1064.00
      03-05-2020, 09:47 AM   #3
Wanderer73
Major
Rep
Drives: X7 M50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleJoe View Post
I know engine choices are a very personal thing but I wanted to share my thoughts on these two engine choices. We own a 2019 50i and I've driven several 40i's, most recently yesterday when I took our X7 into the shop for a state inspection and they gave me a 40i as a loaner. The inline six is smooth and quiet and can propel the X7 very nicely. And I originally wanted the inline six but the dealership made us an offer we couldn't refuse on the 50i so here we are. But after a year with the V8, driving the inline six just doesn't feel right to me. I feel I have to mash the pedal and spin up the turbos to get it moving from a stop. Our V8 takes off like a powerhouse spaceship. You get use to that and when it's not there you miss it. Out on the highway is where its most obvious. Passing slow moving traffic in the V8 is glorious. The downside is the poor fuel economy. That is where you pay the piper. But we own our cars and can afford the gas so after several test drives I'm confident our next X7 will be the M50i.

What's your take? And remember, there's no need to criticizes another persons opinion. If you can afford a X7 you have just as much right as the next owner to state your views.
In the end I opted for the M50i, but I was going down the path of ordering a 40i. 75% of my daily driving is in the city and I felt like the power was more than enough. The other 25% is on the highway and in the mountains. For me the decision was more emotional; I wanted that extra power to have fun with (I don't need it for sure) ... it was never about gas consumption, otherwise I would have ordered the 40i. I'm picking mine up next week and driving from the east coast back to Colorado. I'm looking forward to getting acquainted with this car!
Appreciate 2
LittleJoe1064.00
aas5171.00
      03-05-2020, 10:55 AM   #4
thenew3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 X7, 2016 X3, 2021 MME

I'm using the X7 to haul kids to/from various school/sports activities and on weekend family trips. I found the I6 plenty powerful enough for those tasks. (Plus wife would yell at me constantly if I had the V8 power available to me).
One benefit of the I6 is better fuel economy so it means fewer trips to the gas station. Also doing my part to try to help keep the pollution to a minimal so my kids would have a decent planet to live on. (I know it's very minimal in the grand scheme of things, but every little bit adds up).
Having had BMW I6's before that would run forever with basic maintenance, I feel over the years I plan to own the X7, the I6 is going to be less troublesome then the V8. (Plan to keep the X7 13 to 18 years).

When the kids grow up and move out, then I will dump the X7 for something more fun. Maybe they will have electric cars that can go 500+ miles on a charge and take 10 minutes to charge (and go 0-60 in 2 seconds) by then.
Appreciate 1
LittleJoe1064.00
      03-05-2020, 11:35 AM   #5
760Lifan
Major
Rep
Drives: 2022 4xe Summit R & Trailhawk

I was actually surprised how silky smooth the M50i rides and accelerates. I Initially thought 'oh, I guess if I touch the pedal, it will jerk and jump'.

No, not at all.

I will never criticize anybody for getting the 40i because there are just as many valid arguments for it than for the V8. In fact, if I would have bought this vehicle instead of leasing, I'd be driving the 40i now.

What makes me giggle is the rumbling sound once I start the engine and I sometimes have to smile when the vehicle shakes a little when I press the start engine button....
Gone: 2020 X7 M50i, Mineral White, Ivory White Full Merino, Piano Black Trim, Cold Weather, Dynamic Handling, Driving Assistance, Luxury Seating, Executive, 22" Y-Spoke Orbit Grey Wheels Style 758i, Space Saver Spare, Trailer Hitch, Leather Dash, Ambient Air, Bowers & Wilkins, Rear Entertainment, Night Vision, Extended Shadowline, Alcantara Headliner in Upholstery Color.
Appreciate 2
LittleJoe1064.00
aas5171.00
      03-05-2020, 12:01 PM   #6
Art-CK
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep
Drives: '20 X7 M50i '12 M6 Cab '11 X5M

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanderer73 View Post
In the end I opted for the M50i, but I was going down the path of ordering a 40i. 75% of my daily driving is in the city and I felt like the power was more than enough. The other 25% is on the highway and in the mountains. For me the decision was more emotional; I wanted that extra power to have fun with (I don't need it for sure) ... it was never about gas consumption, otherwise I would have ordered the 40i. I'm picking mine up next week and driving from the east coast back to Colorado. I'm looking forward to getting acquainted with this car!
Same here, purely emotional is why I got M50i. I didn't even consider 40i as my two other cars are X5M and M6. M50i was the only large SUV that was fun to drive. Had it for about a week now and absolutely love it. I tried 40i before deciding on the M50i and agree that 40i is enough for everyone but few power hungry ones
2011 X5M - Alpine White & Black
Appreciate 2
LittleJoe1064.00
aas5171.00
      03-05-2020, 01:06 PM   #7
thenew3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Isn't it nice to have so many choices and none of them are a bad choice?
Appreciate 4
      03-05-2020, 01:52 PM   #8
Wanderer73
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenew3 View Post
Isn't it nice to have so many choices and none of them are a bad choice?
Amen. At one point during the decision making process I remember thinking, "This is pretty cool, I can get the 40i and still have the exact interior experience with all the options I'm considering with the M50i."
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2020, 02:43 PM   #9
aas5
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2022 Tesla Model 3

Coming off an X6M, I only looked at X7 M50. I agree it’s good to have a choice and also it’s good to be able to pick a smaller engine for fuel economy. It is impressive that this car can really move so well with the V8 and the sound makes it special.
Sold: 2020 X7 M50 White Mineral with Ivory & Blue, 2017 X6M Long Beach Blue with Mugello Red, 2014 X6M Monte Carlo Blue with Mugello Red, 2011 X6 5.0 Black on Black, 2008 E350 4Matic Silver, 2006 Infiniti M45 Diamond Graphite
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2020, 03:07 PM   #10
toddwalton
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2019 X7 - 2024 G26

Quote:

I've got an F36 and an E46 with sport suspensions when I want to drive aggressively. It's what BMW coupes are made for.

My X7 40i is a 6-passenger soccer mom family cruiser and at that it excels. All passengers have plenty of leg and shoulder room. Cabin is quiet as a mouse. Leather is comfy and cozy. All passengers have individual high speed USB-C ports. All that steel and all those airbags make it extremely safe.

From a performance standpoint the 6 cylinder is still a rocket, I've had no issues at all merging quickly into traffic from a dead stop, and passing someone on the highway and that needed surge from 55 to 85 is right there when needed. It is by no means a heavy and slow car. It drives spiritedly, not much different than the X5 that preceded it, just hit the Sport Individual button and it's what you're paying for albeit with a touch more body roll.

When one gets older and earns some real money and the carseat kids turn into teens, it's time to ditch the minivan and step up to a SUV that is almost its equal in utility and its superior in all other areas. The X7 is that vehicle. It's the antidote for the Honda Odyssey.
Appreciate 2
thenew3633.00
jmciver1823.50
      03-05-2020, 03:13 PM   #11
like2short
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E93 m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddwalton View Post
Quote:

I've got an F36 and an E46 with sport suspensions when I want to drive aggressively. It's what BMW coupes are made for.

My X7 40i is a 6-passenger soccer mom family cruiser and at that it excels. All passengers have plenty of leg and shoulder room. All passengers have individual high speed USB-C ports. Cabin is quiet as a mouse. Leather is comfy and cozy. All that steel and all those airbags make it extremely safe.

From a performance standpoint the 6 cylinder is still a rocket, I've had no issues at all merging quickly into traffic from a dead stop, and passing someone on the highway and that needed surge from 55 to 85 is right there when needed.

When one gets older and earns some real money and the carseat kids turn into teens, it's time to ditch the minivan and step up to a SUV that is almost its equal in utility and its superior in all other areas. The X7 is that vehicle. It's the antidote for the Honda Odyssey.
Quote:
Quote:

My X7 40i is a 6-passenger soccer mom family cruiser and at that it excels. All passengers have plenty of leg and shoulder room. All passengers have individual high speed USB-C ports. Cabin is quiet as a mouse. Leather is comfy and cozy. All that steel and all those airbags make it extremely safe.

From a performance standpoint the 6 cylinder is still a rocket, I've had no issues at all merging quickly into traffic from a dead stop, and passing someone on the highway and that needed surge from 55 to 85 is right there when needed.

I could not have said it better!!! Our Prior family ride was the Odyssey before the x7 40i. I still have it for doing dirty work like taking kids to sports and picking up bulky stuff. Are bigger engines nice to have? Of course! Is it worth it? For me no, but that's a personal decision. If I went v8, I'd go M50i otherwise I'd wish I spent less and got the 40i or spent more to get big power if I had the 50i.
Appreciate 1
LittleJoe1064.00
      03-05-2020, 03:13 PM   #12
BMWBear
Ultimate Driver
United_States
Rep
Drives: N/A

Quote:

I have a 20 month old and a 20 day old. It's never too soon to buy a X7 M50i or any variance of the X7 for that matter.
Appreciate 2
      03-05-2020, 03:18 PM   #13
thenew3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:

My X7 40i is a 6-passenger soccer mom family cruiser and at that it excels. All passengers have plenty of leg and shoulder room. Cabin is quiet as a mouse. Leather is comfy and cozy. All passengers have individual high speed USB-C ports. All that steel and all those airbags make it extremely safe.

From a performance standpoint the 6 cylinder is still a rocket, I've had no issues at all merging quickly into traffic from a dead stop, and passing someone on the highway and that needed surge from 55 to 85 is right there when needed. It is by no means a heavy and slow car. It drives spiritedly, not much different than the X5 that preceded it, just hit the Sport Individual button and it's what you're paying for albeit with a touch more body roll.

You described almost exactly my situation!
I had to give up the E46 when we had kids just to fit all the kid stuff. Now that my oldest is hitting teenage years, I need to haul him and all his friends to various sports/school activities, so need the full size SUV. Don't need the the V8 since the I6 is plenty powerful for the type of driving I'll be doing.

Once the kids move out, I'll get back into a fun car. (Sacrifices a parent makes for their kids)
Appreciate 1
LittleJoe1064.00
      03-05-2020, 04:11 PM   #14
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2019 Raptor

Power hungry fool here and the M50i does not disappoint. In Sport and Sport Plus it has the same fun factor as my 2018 ZL1....both pull very hard. My wife has no idea what she is driving every day lol, but she does like the exhaust!
Appreciate 1
LittleJoe1064.00
      03-05-2020, 05:23 PM   #15
Wanderer73
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1268 View Post
Power hungry fool here and the M50i does not disappoint. In Sport and Sport Plus it has the same fun factor as my 2018 ZL1....both pull very hard. My wife has no idea what she is driving every day lol, but she does like the exhaust!
Ha! My wife only had the chance to drive the 40i a few times, but never the M50i. She has no idea what's coming next week, but I know she'll have fun!
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2020, 07:48 PM   #16
Young04
Captain
Rep
Drives: iX, i4 and 392 Wrangler

Quote:

All valid points. I have the 40i and I agree that it can be better on the highway. We must be living in good times...never did I think that I would consider a vehicle (a large one at that) that does 0-60 in 5.5 seconds to be inadequate!
Appreciate 2
Wild Blue3676.50
      03-06-2020, 05:43 AM   #17
Wild Blue
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X7 M50i, 2004 330i w/ZHP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Young04 View Post
All valid points. I have the 40i and I agree that it can be better on the highway. We must be living in good times...never did I think that I would consider a vehicle (a large one at that) that does 0-60 in 5.5 seconds to be inadequate!
And that's a key point. Remember, that even many Ferraris and Lambourghinis that we considered in the 1970 and 1980's to be "supercars" only had 200-370 hp. Our view of power "needs" nowadays is quite skewed.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2020, 01:35 PM   #18
LittleJoe
Major
Rep
Drives: 2023 EQS 580 SUV

I'm enjoying reading all the views on engine size. I've been preaching to my good friend for the past year that our next X7 will be the 40i for many of the reasons you 40i owners have stated above. He's a nut when it comes to V8's, loud exhaust notes, M's, AMG's, etc. I always smile at him say you're crazy and why would you want a louder exhaust? But as I commented in my first post, I'm now hooked on the effortless power of our V8 and have to have a M50i for our next go round. That said, I'm sure I would quickly get use to the inline six and be a happy camper but there is likely a Tanzanite Blue M50i in my future.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-06-2020, 01:43 PM   #19
nynd
Captain
Rep
Drives: X7 M8 Convert

This was my thinking as well: Long term. I had a 4.4L in an M5 and it was just drinking oil.

However, recently I'm reconsidering the 40i, as I'll be purchasing this X7 for a long-term 10+ year ownership, and the BMW I-6 engines have so much more of a better long-term record than the V-8's. That alone may make the 40i the better choice for owners like me, looking for an extended ownership.
Appreciate 1
LittleJoe1064.00
      03-06-2020, 04:01 PM   #20
Jefflikescars
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X7 M50i, Navigator, Mod Y Perf

I'm reminded of the time my friend let me drive his modified GT500 with 750+ horsepower. The whole time I was driving I kept thinking, "This is irresponsible" and "this is legitimately crazy" and "Why? Just why would you ever need this much power?"

The next day I woke up in the morning, and the first thought that went through my head was, "I gotta call him so I can drive his car again."

Anyone who owns a 40i should feel fortunate. It's an amazing car.

Oh and I love my M50i
Appreciate 2
LittleJoe1064.00
aas5171.00
      03-07-2020, 06:59 AM   #21
gdurhamski
gdurham
United_States
Rep
Drives: X7 2020, 17 Porsche Turbo S, 2

I opted for the 40i, as I have driven a BMW inline 6 for over 20 years with never a problem, so I stayed as I was always satisfied. I do agree that at highway speeds it definitely lacks the torque of the V8's. I do like the MPG of the 40i. This is basically my winter car while my summer DD car is a 991.2 Turbo S. So when I need my power and speed fix, I have that covered.
Appreciate 1
LittleJoe1064.00
      03-07-2020, 07:58 AM   #22
jtrichards
J Richards
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW X5M Competition

Quote:

Littlejoe I agree with your findings. When we went to purchase our X7 they did not have an M50i so we custom ordered it. We did drive the 40i that the dealership had and I was mildly impressed with the power. I really liked the ride of the vehicle, and coming from a GL550 I was used to some decent power and comfort in an SUV. I'm also a speed nut and have a Jaguar F Type R series that gives me my thrill ride when I take it out so that gets addictive. Personally always wanting the "speed" factor, I knew I would want the fastest option available. Once the M50i arrived, I was in auto heaven. Comfort, speed, luxury, you name it. This car nails it all. Recently my Benz dealer messaged me to come check out the new 2020 GLS580 and see what I thought. It is nice, but in my opinion not quite the same machine as the X7. That roar from the M50i exhaust is addictive. The blue and white leather seating is just downright sweet. As you stated there are so many reasons why each of us choose the model and engine size for our specific needs/wants. If it's speed and performance that checks your box, then M50i. If it's fuel savings and a little lower cost then 40i. As far as engine reliability goes, this is my first BMW after being a Benz guy for so long so I can't answer that one for anyone. I usually don't keep a car past 3-4 years so that should get me through any warranty period.
LittleJoe1064.00
aas5171.00