BMW
X7 and XM
forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW X7 (G07) Forums General BMW X7 Forum Moving to Europe... should I keep X7?

04-12-2020, 10:43 PM   #67
AlexFL
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by UKMS View Post
We are going a little OT here but I'm not sure what you base this on ......

The Swiss have one of the largest vehicle ownership ratios in the world (per head of population) well ahead of most other large nations both inside and outside of Europe and not far behind the USA, Swiss are 10th in the world with USA 4th, Canada 11th. I grant you that not everyone drives an X7 but the most popular car sold there in 2018 (I don't have stats since) was the Skoda Octavia. The top 3 brands overall last year were VW, Mercedes and BMW. Top 3 SUV's VW Tiguan, Merc GLC, VW T-Roc (just ahead of X3).

Make of that what you will but the Swiss are certainly not the tiny car, public transport, car sharing loving people that you portray. They clearly like a car or two.
Owning cars doesn’t equal to using them as your daily driver. No proper Swiss person will commute to work with a car if there is an efficient public transport equivalent available. I have spent over 20 years of my life in Germany and eight years in Switzerland und I don’t really care if you dig out more internet stats. Back to the original question. The top 3 SUVs that you found give you a good idea of an average vehicle size in Switzerland.

Here are the most popular cars in Switzerland in 2018:
https://www.blick.ch/auto/abgefahren...d15104834.html

Last edited by AlexFL; 04-12-2020 at 10:56 PM..
Appreciate 1
Heimdall136.50
      04-12-2020, 11:03 PM   #68
UKMS
Lieutenant
United Arab Emirates
Rep
Drives: X7 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexFL View Post
Quote:
We are going a little OT here but I'm not sure what you base this on ......

The Swiss have one of the largest vehicle ownership ratios in the world (per head of population) well ahead of most other large nations both inside and outside of Europe and not far behind the USA, Swiss are 10th in the world with USA 4th, Canada 11th. I grant you that not everyone drives an X7 but the most popular car sold there in 2018 (I don't have stats since) was the Skoda Octavia. The top 3 brands overall last year were VW, Mercedes and BMW. Top 3 SUV's VW Tiguan, Merc GLC, VW T-Roc (just ahead of X3).

Make of that what you will but the Swiss are certainly not the tiny car, public transport, car sharing loving people that you portray. They clearly like a car or two.
Owning cars doesn’t equal to using them as your daily driver. No proper Swiss person will commute to work with a car if there is an efficient public transport equivalent available. I have spent over 20 years of my life in Germany and eight years in Switzerland und I don’t really care if you dig out more internet stats. Back to the original question. The top 3 SUVs that you found give you a good idea of an average vehicle size in Switzerland.
I'm not sure what a 'proper' Swiss person is versus the others ? ..... like I said not everyone drives an X7 I was simply making the point that the Swiss are not shy of owning more than one car per family on average. I've lived in various parts of Europe all my life 50+ years so have a pretty good insight there myself with or without stats.

If I lived in Switzerland now I'd jump at the chance of owning an X7, certainly not for commuting but for some long drives to explore the amazing countries surrounding it in my leisure time
      04-12-2020, 11:22 PM   #69
AlexFL
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
I'm not sure what a 'proper' Swiss person is versus the others ? ..... like I said not everyone drives an X7 I was simply making the point that the Swiss are not shy of owning more than one car per family on average. I've lived in various parts of Europe all my life 50+ years so have a pretty good insight there myself with or without stats.

If I lived in Switzerland now I'd jump at the chance of owning an X7, certainly not for commuting but for some long drives to explore the amazing countries surrounding it in my leisure time
Next time you encounter a Swiss person, ask him what ‘proper Swiss aka echter Schweizer’ means. He/she will explain. A ‘proper Swiss’ follows the unwritten Swiss rules and traditions to clearly distinguish himself from a German or a French. It’s a small country identity protection thing. Enjoy your X7, it’s a beautiful car! BMW builds the best SUVs, there is no doubt about that.

Last edited by AlexFL; 04-12-2020 at 11:29 PM..
Appreciate 1
UKMS110.00
      04-14-2020, 01:43 AM   #70
Wild Blue
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X7 M50i, 2004 330i w/ZHP

Quote:
Although OT ..... my perspective of large and small has been completely changed living in UAE .... even X7 looks average size with so many Nissan Patrol, Land Cruiser etc and large trucks on the roads.
Ah yes... I've lived in the UAE the last 4 years. So many silly drivers on the road driving Nissan Patrols.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2020, 11:28 PM   #71
Heimdall
The Centurion
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW X7 M40i

Garage List
  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Blue View Post
Quote:
Although OT ..... my perspective of large and small has been completely changed living in UAE .... even X7 looks average size with so many Nissan Patrol, Land Cruiser etc and large trucks on the roads.
Ah yes... I've lived in the UAE the last 4 years. So many silly drivers on the road driving Nissan Patrols.

Hope you didn't encounter any of them 🤣

On the other side I was the magnet to those
      04-18-2020, 02:05 AM   #72
Wild Blue
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X7 M50i, 2004 330i w/ZHP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heimdall View Post

When I first shopped and researched my UAE car, I did go look at Nissan Patrols. But they gave me the test, and decided I wasn't enough of a jerk to drive one, so I moved on to something else.

And yes... drive in the UAE for anything more than 24 hours, and you are sure to be cut off, or swerved into, or yelled at, or something else by someone driving a Nissan Patrol.
Appreciate 1
Heimdall136.50
      04-18-2020, 09:57 AM   #73
Heimdall
The Centurion
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW X7 M40i

Garage List
  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Blue View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heimdall View Post

When I first shopped and researched my UAE car, I did go look at Nissan Patrols. But they gave me the test, and decided I wasn't enough of a jerk to drive one, so I moved on to something else.

And yes... drive in the UAE for anything more than 24 hours, and you are sure to be cut off, or swerved into, or yelled at, or something else by someone driving a Nissan Patrol.

Up until you're driving one of these
With a vanity plate number
Attached Images

05-31-2020, 07:09 AM   #74
scoe44
Rep
Drives: M5

You just have to be careful about speeding is Switzerland. There are speed cameras every where. A lot of Swiss drive I. Germany just to be able to speed in some parts of the country. I am retired military working in German as us government employee. I am actually thinking about getting an X7 but I am concerned about parking it here in the parking garages. Currently I have a 2017 X5 and a 2019 M5 competition.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2020, 07:34 AM   #75
UKMS
Lieutenant
United Arab Emirates
Rep
Drives: X7 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resjudicata View Post
After doing some reading, it's against your contract to export for profit, and it could get you blacklisted from being able to ever buy another BMW.

flipside, you are doing it for personal reasons and not selling for profits; you're probably fine. however you might get stopped at Customs.
With respect it's not against any contract if someone is moving home and taking a vehicle with them. The export clause in contracts is to cover off people ordering and trading cars for profit.
      11-19-2020, 10:02 AM   #76
Sphinx_77
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X7

Finally was able to leave to US and arrive in Switzerland Mid August. X7 didn't arrive until the second week of October. Finally got the paperwork all in order to register last week.
I hired the local BMW dealership to handle most of it and ended up costing me about $2500 chf for documents and inspection, registration and handling fees etc. The unfortunate part is that they are still investigating how to get the Navigation and BMW Connected Drive working over here. Obviously the US SIM card is an issue and also I am told that they use different hardware in the head unit than what is used in the US. They had tried to update the vehicle software but they were unable to. So, now they are waiting to hear back from Munich to see if anything can be done. Keeping my fingers crossed but not feeling confident.
If this doesn't work out, I guess I may consider reaching out to a coding company in Germany to see if they can get it done, but that does seem a little risky.
But since I found out it's only a 2 year warranty over here, I'm not too worried about voiding that.
Are there any members in here with any experience with an issue like this?
Appreciate 2
Brukes90.00
Tinbad139.50
      11-28-2020, 03:13 PM   #77
msstuermer
Registered
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sphinx_77 View Post
The unfortunate part is that they are still investigating how to get the Navigation and BMW Connected Drive working over here. Obviously the US SIM card is an issue and also I am told that they use different hardware in the head unit than what is used in the US. They had tried to update the vehicle software but they were unable to. So, now they are waiting to hear back from Munich to see if anything can be done. Keeping my fingers crossed but not feeling confident.
If this doesn't work out, I guess I may consider reaching out to a coding company in Germany to see if they can get it done, but that does seem a little risky.
But since I found out it's only a 2 year warranty over here, I'm not too worried about voiding that.
I am driving a US spec X7 in Germany which has not been altered to Germany regulations. Most of the connected functions do not work here. Howevery after my dealer upgraded the car to 07/2020.60 live traffic now works. Also Spotify has always been working. Many functions just depend on the right map so make sure you get a European map (lane change, speed limit, etc.).
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2020, 11:55 AM   #78
Sphinx_77
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by msstuermer View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sphinx_77 View Post
The unfortunate part is that they are still investigating how to get the Navigation and BMW Connected Drive working over here. Obviously the US SIM card is an issue and also I am told that they use different hardware in the head unit than what is used in the US. They had tried to update the vehicle software but they were unable to. So, now they are waiting to hear back from Munich to see if anything can be done. Keeping my fingers crossed but not feeling confident.
I am driving a US spec X7 in Germany which has not been altered to Germany regulations. Most of the connected functions do not work here. Howevery after my dealer upgraded the car to 07/2020.60 live traffic now works. Also Spotify has always been working. Many functions just depend on the right map so make sure you get a European map (lane change, speed limit, etc.).
Hmm.
The dealership here in Switzerland was not even able to update the maps never mind the latest software update. So, now I am using Apple CarPlay Apps for music and maps etc, but it would be nice to have the speed limits come up, especially given how many of the speed limit camera boxes they have here on the sides of the road.
Appreciate 0