03-18-2020, 09:56 PM   #1
mitch57
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW X7 xDrive40i

Rear Daytime Running Lights

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
Anyone notice the rear daytime running lights? This is the first car I've owned that had rear daytime running lights as well as front daytime running lights.

I think they're pretty dang cool. However, I do wish it had separate controls for the front and rear. Instead, all we get is both front and rear or no running lights at all. But I'm OK with that.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2020, 10:03 PM   #2
Art-CK
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep
Drives: '20 X7 M50i '12 M6 Cab '11 X5M

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitch57 View Post
Anyone notice the rear daytime running lights? This is the first car I've owned that had rear daytime running lights as well as front daytime running lights.

I think they're pretty dang cool. However, I do wish it had separate controls for the front and rear. Instead, all we get is both front and rear or no running lights at all. But I'm OK with that.
I got mine coded and I'm able to separately enable or disable front and rear DRLs. Should be able to do it through BimmerCode or get someone to do this for you.
Appreciate 1
      03-18-2020, 11:17 PM   #3
ChexBMW
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X7

Quote:
On the X7? Where are they?

I would love to have a little bit of light at night when I am backing up. The backup camera is incredibly dark. Much darker than any other vehicle I've driven. Pretty much useless. I guess BMW didn't install an use an infrared camera.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2020, 12:46 AM   #4
mitch57
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChexBMW View Post

I would love to have a little bit of light at night when I am backing up. The backup camera is incredibly dark. Much darker than any other vehicle I've driven. Pretty much useless. I guess BMW didn't install an use an infrared camera.
Yes. They're in the tail lights. They're just dimmer during the daytime. They won't help you at night. They're "DAYTIME" running lights. They only activate during the day time.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2020, 07:44 PM   #5
MB21
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW X7 M5.0i

Quote:

I really like this as undoubtedly it is safety, in EU cars have front and back always on and I think this should be mandatory everywhere. In USA you often see idiots driving with no lights or daytime front only at night.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2020, 11:29 AM   #6
Wild Blue
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X7 M50i, 2004 330i w/ZHP

Quote:

I'm still just not understanding this. That's the whole point of the white reverse tail lights, to illuminate the area behind a vehicle. If they're not good enough, daytime running lights wouldn't make them better.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2020, 02:10 PM   #7
mitch57
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Blue View Post
I'm still just not understanding this. That's the whole point of the white reverse tail lights, to illuminate the area behind a vehicle. If they're not good enough, daytime running lights wouldn't make them better.
During daylight hours most vehicles don't have any lights illuminating the rear section of the vehicle. At least most American and Japanese automakers don't have any illuminated lights on the rear section of the car during daytime hours. The only time there are any lights in the tail section is if you turn on the lights. When you turn on the lights there are bulbs which illuminate the license plate as well as the tail lights which are usually red.

I think you're confusing backup lights with daytime running lights. Backup tail lights only turn on when you put the car in reverse. The rear daytime running lights on the BMW are turned on the entire time the car is running, during daylight hours, whether or not you are parked, driving forward or driving in reverse.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2020, 02:55 PM   #8
Wild Blue
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X7 M50i, 2004 330i w/ZHP

Quote:
During daylight hours most vehicles don't have any lights illuminating the rear section of the vehicle. At least most American and Japanese automakers don't have any illuminated lights on the rear section of the car during daytime hours. The only time there are any lights in the tail section is if you turn on the lights. When you turn on the lights there are bulbs which illuminate the license plate as well as the tail lights which are usually red.

I think you're confusing backup lights with daytime running lights. Backup tail lights only turn on when you put the car in reverse. The rear daytime running lights on the BMW are turned on the entire time the car is running, during daylight hours, whether or not you are parked, driving forward or driving in reverse.
Right. The previous poster posted this about backing up in an X7, saying he'd love to "have a little bit of light when backing up". If his white reverse lights are not sufficiently illuminating behind an X7 when backing up, I don't see how daytime running lights in the rear would make it better.

Quote:

Appreciate 0
      03-22-2020, 06:57 PM   #9
mitch57
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Right. The previous poster posted this about backing up in an X7, saying he'd love to "have a little bit of light when backing up". If his white reverse lights are not sufficiently illuminating behind an X7 when backing up, I don't see how daytime running lights in the rear would make it better.
Oh, I see. Well, maybe now he will get it. Not sure why he thinks backup cameras on vehicles are night vision cameras. Maybe down the road they will be but I don't know of any vehicle that uses night vision backup cameras.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2020, 07:04 AM   #10
ChexBMW
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X7

Quote:
Quote:
Oh, I see. Well, maybe now he will get it. Not sure why he thinks backup cameras on vehicles are night vision cameras. Maybe down the road they will be but I don't know of any vehicle that uses night vision backup cameras.
Sorry for the confusion.

My response was two-fold and the backup camera part had nothing to do with the daytime running lights in the rear of the vehicle.

This is my first BMW purchase. In all of my previous vehicles I could see clearly behind me at night when using the backup camera. With the X7, it's almost 100% dark. Backup lights aren't helping to brighten the picture. Neither is adjusting the brightness on the camera. If BMW used an infrared backup camera, it would help.
Appreciate 0