BMW
X7 and XM
forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Off-Topic Discussions Board Health, Fitness, Martial Arts, and Nutrition What am I missing from my workout?

11-09-2008, 03:30 AM   #23
clark192
Second Lieutenant
Bahrain
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i (EU)

In addition to most of the good advice, I would suggest doing some more compound exercises. If your goal is to improve your PT scores, you need to realize that your muscles work in tandem with one another. Large, complex motions will help out overall. I usually throw in something like this into my routine, maybe once or twice a week:

Grab a straight bar and throw on around 50lbs, then place on the floor in front of you and do the following routine one complete motion after the other, no rest:

1) 1 deadlift (up to your knees and back to the floor)
2) 1 bent over row (lift again from the floor, do bent over row and return to starting position for the row)
3) clean (jerk? snatch? can never remember the term) the bar to your chest
4) do a front squat. same as a normal squat, but with the bar resting across your chest
5) press the bar over your head, and down behind your head on your shoulders
6) do a normal squat
7) step forward and do a lunge, one for each leg.
8) then do reverse lunges, one for each leg.
9) press again over your head, and then you are finished.

Do like 3 sets of this, and you should be pretty exhausted afterwards. I like it becuase, again, while its fun to develop individual muscles, its good to work everything together and do really large compound exercises.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2008, 03:32 AM   #24
DougLikesBMW
Fapmin
Rep
Drives: '03 E46 330Ci

^^^^
+1 Clean and Sweep is tough stuff, but great for you!
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2008, 03:39 AM   #25
clark192
Second Lieutenant
Bahrain
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i (EU)

Im curious tho, Doug, why do you hit chest and tris on the same day? You work out the tris as a minor muscle when you do chest exercises, and when you target them individually aren't they are already tired from the chest stuff?
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2008, 09:49 AM   #26
iamandypark
Private
Rep
Drives: 2006 Acura TSX 5AT-nav

Quote:
Originally Posted by clark192 View Post
Im curious tho, Doug, why do you hit chest and tris on the same day? You work out the tris as a minor muscle when you do chest exercises, and when you target them individually aren't they are already tired from the chest stuff?
I think chest and tris are great. Just having an arms day is kinda bs for me...i would feel weak just sitting int he gyma nd doing no compound movements. I do alot of excercises like dips which work chest and triceps. By hitting your triceps on your chest day i think you will also see better gains in strength not only size

also.... shouldnt the op stay away from "cleaning" excercises as he currently has a shoulder injury? just a thought
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2008, 11:30 AM   #27
Alias
dork
Rep
Drives: //M

Pyramiding worked wonders for me (you should look into that)

I sorta glanced over this thread, but Im sure its been said.. you need to hit your chest a lot harder

Decline/Incline/Flat. Dumbells work wonders over Barbells especially when your trying to build your stabilizers muscles, but mix it up.

Dumbell fly's are awsome as well

Cable crossovers are awsome as a finisher.

If you can afford supplements, look into the Universal/Animal line, their shit is a little on the expensive side, but i've had great results with them, and they have an awsome rep

Animal Pump - pre workout
Torrent - Post workout
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2008, 02:33 PM   #28
iamandypark
Private
Rep

i had succes with the animal products.... but i got too edgy and the pills were getting to be a PITA. im using controlled labs supps right now..... they work great
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2008, 03:36 PM   #29
Alias
dork
Rep
Drives: //M

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamandypark View Post
i had succes with the animal products.... but i got too edgy and the pills were getting to be a PITA. im using controlled labs supps right now..... they work great
I also use Purple Wrath from controlled...its a staple as well. White flood got me a little edgy and sometimes sent me into the toilet before I worked out. I use Orange Triad and think its an outstanding multi. Glycergrow is kinda neat as well.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2008, 03:41 PM   #30
DougLikesBMW
Fapmin
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by clark192 View Post
Hmm, that's a good question. I don't really know the technical/scientific answer for it. The reason I do it is because my trainer told me to (he is in insane shape, better than the guys from 300) and you find these type of workouts in magazines dedicated to strength/working out.

Plus you could ask the same question about the Back/Bicep day. You're already working out the minor muscle on that day, so I see it as, why not work it out more?

Quote:
I think chest and tris are great. Just having an arms day is kinda bs for me...i would feel weak just sitting int he gyma nd doing no compound movements. I do alot of excercises like dips which work chest and triceps. By hitting your triceps on your chest day i think you will also see better gains in strength not only size
Yes, dips are awesome....that is weighted dips. They work wonders. OP get yourself a weighted dip belt, unless the gym you go to has one for you to use.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2008, 09:58 PM   #31
xxForgedxx
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Slow/Fat

Quote:
Originally Posted by news 4 u View Post
+1

Chicken legs FTL
I usually do legs, but since I have been running so much I skipped em. I used to rep 365lbs on squats. I don't have teh checken legz
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2008, 10:01 PM   #32
DougLikesBMW
Fapmin
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxForgedxx View Post
I usually do legs, but since I have been running so much I skipped em. I used to rep 365lbs on squats. I don't have teh checken legz
Even though you run does not mean that you can skip legs!
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2008, 10:54 PM   #33
grkmec
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 335xi

Since you asked, here is my two cents:

Way too much focus on flat benching and curling. For someone who's benching in the mid 200's, you should be lat pulling 160+ for 10 reps. You really need to work on your shoulders, back, quads and hams. I would add the following lifts:

1) Incline dumbells or Military dumbell presses - start will low weight and work your way up due to shoulder injury

2) Deadlift

3) Squat

4) Power Cleans

5) Upright rows
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2008, 11:03 PM   #34
xxForgedxx
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by grkmec View Post
Since you asked, here is my two cents:

Way too much focus on flat benching and curling. For someone who's benching in the mid 200's, you should be lat pulling 160+ for 10 reps. You really need to work on your shoulders, back, quads and hams. I would add the following lifts:

1) Incline dumbells or Military dumbell presses - start will low weight and work your way up due to shoulder injury

2) Deadlift

3) Squat

4) Power Cleans

5) Upright rows
Shoulder strength as far as muscle isnt a problem, what is: tendons, rotator cuff etc. I can lat pull more weight, but it pulls at my shoulder. Power cleans are a no go, anything that requires a lot of weight or force suddenly is dangerous
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2008, 10:59 AM   #35
Couch
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

Garage List
2007 E92 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
I'm 5'9" 187lbs and I am looking for insight on what I may be doing wrong or missing from my workout. I am nursing a shoulder impingement and though it's getting better each day I can not afford to risk injuring it seriously. Here is what I've got thus far...

Chest/Tri:

Flat bench: 10@135lbs/6@185lbs/6@205/10 close interval @ 135lbs (before the shoulder injury I was at 8 reps @ 225lbs with a max of 275/305lbs

Skull crusher: 10@80lbs/10@80lbs/10@80lbs

Tri pull-down: 10@80/10@80/10@80

Incline fly: No longer do because of my shoulder

Push-ups: 25/5 close 5 wide clapper/25/5 close 5 wide clapper/25 and I half hold my last rep. I am a Solider so the form is top notch.

Back/Bi:

Curv bar curl: 10@80x3

Bent over row: 10@100x3

Low row: 10@100/10@120/10@120

Lat pull down: 10@100/10@120/10@120

Abs:

Flutter kicks:
3 sets of 100

Rope extensions:
3 sets of 10@ 60lbs

I used to do bridge,side bridge,side bridge: 3 sets of 45 second hold but it causes me to put all my weight on the shoulder to keep good form so I quit that...

I am a function over fashion type of guy. I am looking for what I am missing in my workout. I don't do legs because I run a ton between PT 3 days a week with ROTC and the random runs I throw in after my workout.

I for some reason feel like I am missing something, nutrition possibly has to do with why I am not extremely cut but to be frank I don't care. I'm a college student and don't need to have some psycho diet just to get some more creases in my abs. I just need to perform better on PT tests and in general for when I get pushed to the limit. What am I missing?
DIET DIET DIET! If you want to lean up and gain muscle you have to eat lean meats and high protein. Unless your genetics are just awesome, then eat whatever you want. And don't listen to any of those adkins, south beach, whatever diets. Eat lean meat, fruits and veggies, plain and simple.

Chest/Tris:
Add incline bench as well. Switch up and use dumbbells instead of barbell. Focus on form first, then weight. You have to work on getting your shoulder stronger, so use light weights.

Dumbbell overhead extenstions.
Cable pulldowns/pullovers

Back/Bi:

Pull-ups. Wide grip, shoulder width grip
Various rows

Dumbbell Curls:
Hammer curls
Inside Curls - to work the outer bi
Outside curls - to work inner bi

You HAVE TO add a shoulder day. You need to rehab your shoulder back to normal. And to add shoulderdefinition you don't have to use heavy weights. They respond to lighter weight high reps. Watch the huge guys at the gym, they typically use no more than 25lb dumbbells. Most of the guys I see with great shoulders definition use 20,15,10, and 5lbs.

Abs:

Leg Raises
Decline crunches/situps

You need to do legs. A must.

And as has been said, add leg days and cardio. You have to get cardio

Here's a ton of good excercises listed.

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/wotw41.htm
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2008, 11:00 AM   #36
Couch
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2007 E92 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Shoulder strength as far as muscle isnt a problem, what is: tendons, rotator cuff etc. I can lat pull more weight, but it pulls at my shoulder. Power cleans are a no go, anything that requires a lot of weight or force suddenly is dangerous
There's a website I've seen that details how to work the shoulder cuff. I'll find it and link it for you.
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2008, 11:35 AM   #37
iamandypark
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Couch View Post
DIET DIET DIET! If you want to lean up and gain muscle you have to eat lean meats and high protein. Unless your genetics are just awesome, then eat whatever you want. And don't listen to any of those adkins, south beach, whatever diets. Eat lean meat, fruits and veggies, plain and simple.

Chest/Tris:
Add incline bench as well. Switch up and use dumbbells instead of barbell. Focus on form first, then weight. You have to work on getting your shoulder stronger, so use light weights.

Dumbbell overhead extenstions.
Cable pulldowns/pullovers

Back/Bi:

Pull-ups. Wide grip, shoulder width grip
Various rows

Dumbbell Curls:
Hammer curls
Inside Curls - to work the outer bi
Outside curls - to work inner bi

You HAVE TO add a shoulder day. You need to rehab your shoulder back to normal. And to add shoulderdefinition you don't have to use heavy weights. They respond to lighter weight high reps. Watch the huge guys at the gym, they typically use no more than 25lb dumbbells. Most of the guys I see with great shoulders definition use 20,15,10, and 5lbs.

Abs:

Leg Raises
Decline crunches/situps

You need to do legs. A must.

And as has been said, add leg days and cardio. You have to get cardio

Here's a ton of good excercises listed.

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/wotw41.htm

i disagree with the use of incline bench in the op's case. incline bench is a great workout however, it can be very taxing on the shoulders. the op should lay off the shoulder as much as he can until it is healed and that slowly incorporate some shoulder movements. maybe some assistance exercises for the rotator cuff. decline bench will work your chest while working your shoulders minimally.

personally, i think thats too many bicep exercises, if you hit your back hard with rows and pullups your biceps should also have been worked. Keep in mind that there is only ONE bicep. Im not a believer in the inner, lower, upper muscle idea which many people say about chest as well as biceps.

Legs are a must and I think deadlifts are a must.
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2008, 01:50 PM   #38
Couch
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2007 E92 335i  [0.00]
Rotator Cuff excercies:
http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/...lRotation.html

http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/...lRotation.html

There's more out there, just gotta look for them.
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2008, 02:06 PM   #39
Couch
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2007 E92 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
i disagree with the use of incline bench in the op's case. incline bench is a great workout however, it can be very taxing on the shoulders. the op should lay off the shoulder as much as he can until it is healed and that slowly incorporate some shoulder movements. maybe some assistance exercises for the rotator cuff. decline bench will work your chest while working your shoulders minimally.

personally, i think thats too many bicep exercises, if you hit your back hard with rows and pullups your biceps should also have been worked. Keep in mind that there is only ONE bicep. Im not a believer in the inner, lower, upper muscle idea which many people say about chest as well as biceps.

Legs are a must and I think deadlifts are a must.
I understand what you're saying about the incline, but I still think it's important for him to use light weight to help in rehabilitation. But if it hurts him to do even light weight then he should stay away. At the same time the OP should look at seeing a physical therapist if it's hurting him enough.

There's nothing to believe as far as the inner, lower, upper, etc you mentioned. Look at the anatomy of the male body and there is an upper and lower chest. As well as different heads on the tricep.

As far as working bi's, the different routines can have an affect on the different muscle fibers. I added the inner and outer curls to my routine and have noticed a difference in my biceps.

Everyone's different though and won't see the same results. As is everyones reasoning for working out. I started going simply because I was feeling lethargic, as well as being scared for other hereditary reasons. Now trying to get a decent body is up there. May as well.

I work one-two body parts a day. With a minimum of 2 days off. So working my bi's as much as I do is a non issue. It's only too much when the results become diminishing. So far, that's not happening. And I switch up my routine every 8-14 weeks.

I'd look at adding some forearm curls/wrist curls to make your forearms pop. But I don't know what the OP's overall goal is.

Not trying to argue with you. Just speaking on what I've experienced, as well as noting that everyones goals are different. What works for one person, may not work for another. It's all about trial and error.
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2008, 02:54 PM   #40
iamandypark
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Couch View Post
I understand what you're saying about the incline, but I still think it's important for him to use light weight to help in rehabilitation. But if it hurts him to do even light weight then he should stay away. At the same time the OP should look at seeing a physical therapist if it's hurting him enough.

There's nothing to believe as far as the inner, lower, upper, etc you mentioned. Look at the anatomy of the male body and there is an upper and lower chest. As well as different heads on the tricep.

As far as working bi's, the different routines can have an affect on the different muscle fibers. I added the inner and outer curls to my routine and have noticed a difference in my biceps.

Everyone's different though and won't see the same results. As is everyones reasoning for working out. I started going simply because I was feeling lethargic, as well as being scared for other hereditary reasons. Now trying to get a decent body is up there. May as well.

I work one-two body parts a day. With a minimum of 2 days off. So working my bi's as much as I do is a non issue. It's only too much when the results become diminishing. So far, that's not happening. And I switch up my routine every 8-14 weeks.

I'd look at adding some forearm curls/wrist curls to make your forearms pop. But I don't know what the OP's overall goal is.

Not trying to argue with you. Just speaking on what I've experienced, as well as noting that everyones goals are different. What works for one person, may not work for another. It's all about trial and error.

thats the thing about workingout/bodybuilding/muscle building... it seems that different things work for different people... i respect your opinions
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2008, 03:18 PM   #41
Couch
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2007 E92 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
thats the thing about workingout/bodybuilding/muscle building... it seems that different things work for different people... i respect your opinions
It's strange isn't it.

Appreciate 0
      11-11-2008, 10:19 AM   #42
xxForgedxx
Lieutenant
Rep

Ok I have established that squats are not doable anymore. Did my typical free-weight 135lb 10 rep x 3 set and the thing that is the most sore is my fucken shoulder.

Anything that is going to put sudden trauma on my body is a no go for the workout, I'm thinking whatever it is going to be it has to be something that is slow repetition.

Dead lifts, cleans, squats... anything of that nature is a no go. It may make a healthy body stronger but there is nothing strong about a guy with a blown shoulder. I can do push ups and light bench, prob decline but nothing incline. Flys are out too...
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2008, 10:55 AM   #43
BMW_TT
Colonel
Rep

From what I see, you're lacking shoulders.

I usually make shoulders a day on its own.

Also legs are important.
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2008, 10:56 AM   #44
BMW_TT
Colonel
Rep

If your shoulders are bad, you can try to use the cable machines and do lightweights.
Appreciate 0