BMW
X7 and XM
forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Professional Motorsport Racing Discussion (IMSA, DTM, Formula 1, Grand-AM, Le Mans, IRL, WRC, etc..) 2010 Formula 1 Korean Grand Prix

10-25-2010, 01:03 PM   #111
E90SLAM
Supreme Allied Commander
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: A BBS WHORE

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by TK-421 View Post
i want a high res of that for my wallpaper ^^^^^
here...
Attached Images

10-25-2010, 01:05 PM   #112
KingOfJericho
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Yes

Garage List
2010 135i Coupe  [5.26]
I was thinking about the first one... not the video game.

2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee High Altitude Hemi | 2010 S4 Sold | 2010 BMW 135i Retired | 2006 Lotus Exige Sold
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2010, 01:06 PM   #113
TK-421
Registered Sex Offender
United_States
Rep
Drives: E46 M3 | 1JZ S13

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingOfJericho View Post
lol me too
      10-25-2010, 02:09 PM   #114
JCtx
Major General
Rep
Drives: No BMW yet

Quote:
I don't see how he has matured at all - or that he needed to in the first place.
If you don't think he needed to mature as a racer, you're just another fanboy . Or are blindly attracted to him .
I think he's done doing stupid mistakes for what I can tell, and also acts more adult than many older drivers when disaster strikes indeed; that's why I said he's matured enough to be a champion. Most F1 drivers at that level will be cocky, arrogant, etc., so they'll never be liked by all. But we shouldn't deny their skill either . I personally think he's the best F1 driver, but others are pretty close, so ultimately car reliability and luck end up being the deciding factors on a championship, rather than all out skill IMO, especially when car performance is so close overall (RB, Ferrari and McLaren).

Hey gang, question: Is Vettel going to be penalized 5 grid positions for getting a new engine after the blow-up??? That'd add insult to injury. An engine blowing up forcing you to DNF (especially on P1) should be punishment enough, but curious about the rules. Thx.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2010, 02:28 PM   #115
E90SLAM
Supreme Allied Commander
Hong Kong
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by TK-421 View Post
lol me too
Quote:
Originally Posted by elp_jc View Post
If you don't think he needed to mature as a racer, you're just another fanboy . Or are blindly attracted to him .
I think he's done doing stupid mistakes for what I can tell, and also acts more adult than many older drivers when disaster strikes indeed; that's why I said he's matured enough to be a champion. Most F1 drivers at that level will be cocky, arrogant, etc., so they'll never be liked by all. But we shouldn't deny their skill either . I personally think he's the best F1 driver, but others are pretty close, so ultimately car reliability and luck end up being the deciding factors on a championship, rather than all out skill IMO, especially when car performance is so close overall (RB, Ferrari and McLaren).

Hey gang, question: Is Vettel going to be penalized 5 grid positions for getting a new engine after the blow-up??? That'd add insult to injury. An engine blowing up forcing you to DNF (especially on P1) should be punishment enough, but curious about the rules. Thx.
No penalty if he use one of the older engines within the 7 allocated remains (including the one failed in Bahrain), I'd guess RBR would prefer to use a less powerful older engine instead of a fresh one and take the 5 place grid penalty.
      10-25-2010, 02:34 PM   #116
inTgr8r
Lieutenant General
Canada
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by E90SLAM View Post
No penalty if he use one of the older engines within the 7 allocated remains (including the one failed in Bahrain), I'd guess RBR would prefer to use a less powerful older engine instead of a fresh one and take the 5 place grid penalty.
I wonder if they'll rethink that one now.
'07 Z4 M Coupe Alpine White (sold)
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2010, 03:05 PM   #117
E90SLAM
Supreme Allied Commander
Hong Kong
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by inTgr8r View Post
Taking a 5 place grid penalty is a big hit, even if SV managed to get "pole" position.
      10-25-2010, 03:11 PM   #118
KingOfJericho
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Yes

Garage List
2010 135i Coupe  [5.26]
Quote:
I guess it's just the word "mature" being used to talk about a younger driver makes me think of him not acting like an adult when in fact we're simply talking about race experience. I actually agree completely that he has gained a great deal of experience over this season but has always *acted* (off track) as a complete professional. I'm not a fan boy and know which team I play for but I call them as I see them. I think he and Kubica are the two most skilled and "professional" drivers on the track - just shut up and driver the car... fast. I would also be lying if I denied that Alonso was a phenomenal driver but his whiny fussy nature are just so unappealing. Oh and F1 would would be losing one of its most promising drivers if Koby isn't picked up again next year.

2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee High Altitude Hemi | 2010 S4 Sold | 2010 BMW 135i Retired | 2006 Lotus Exige Sold
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2010, 03:22 PM   #119
MontegoblueE92
Captain
Rep
Drives: It Like He Stole It

Quote:
Hey gang, question: Is Vettel going to be penalized 5 grid positions for getting a new engine after the blow-up???
Quote:
Quote:
Taking a 5 place grid penalty is a big hit, even if SV managed to get "pole" position.
It's a ten spot penalty for using a new engine. 5 is for a gearbox.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2010, 03:35 PM   #120
JCtx
Major General
Rep
Drives: No BMW yet

Quote:
That penalty should be waived in case of engine blow-up IMO. You take the penalty if you don't want to take the risk. A DNF is more severe than a grid penalty, so getting hit with BOTH doesn't sound fair to me. It's the equivalent of kicking somebody when he's down. Oh well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MontegoblueE92 View Post
Holy cow; that's A LOT. But still better than a DNF.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2010, 03:46 PM   #121
E90SLAM
Supreme Allied Commander
Hong Kong
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by MontegoblueE92 View Post
sorry...you're right!

5 grid for a gear box change that use less than 4 consecutively races.
      10-25-2010, 04:00 PM   #122
E90SLAM
Supreme Allied Commander
Hong Kong
Rep

Garage List
SV threw away lots of points this season (intentionally or not, accidents or mechanical failure).

Bahrain (- 13) Engine problem
Australia (- 25) Wheel nut issue
Turkey (- 18) Collide with teammate
British (-19) Had pole but over-aggressive and caused puncture at race-start, managed to end P7
Hungary (-3) Messed up safety car restart and handed Farnando P2, lost 3 points
Belgium (-15) Was at P3 and then crashed into Button and ended up serving a drive-thru, ended P15
Korea (-25) Engine blew while everything was under control, waiting for the checker flag.

To sum up, bad luck plus a few mistakes. That cost him about 118 points!
I took the points difference at the moment the incident occured and the resulting position. some I don't remember clearly (such as Australia). Just a guesstimate how much points he would've gain if he had better luck or more patience.
      10-25-2010, 04:44 PM   #123
Echo M3
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Quote:
SV threw away lots of points this season (intentionally or not, accidents or mechanical failure).

Bahrain (- 13) Engine problem
Australia (- 25) Wheel nut issue
Turkey (- 18) Collide with teammate
British (-19) Had pole but over-aggressive and caused puncture at race-start, managed to end P7
Hungary (-3) Messed up safety car restart and handed Farnando P2, lost 3 points
Belgium (-15) Was at P3 and then crashed into Button and ended up serving a drive-thru, ended P15
Korea (-25) Engine blew while everything was under control, waiting for the checker flag.

To sum up, bad luck plus a few mistakes. That cost him about 118 points!
I took the points difference at the moment the incident occured and the resulting position. some I don't remember clearly (such as Australia). Just a guesstimate how much points he would've gain if he had better luck or more patience.

At a first glance, 118 points seems shocking. But, let's not forget all the mistakes all the other contenders have made.

Alonso and Hamilton in particular lost fistfuls of points from their mistakes/mishaps. Off the top of my head:

Alonso - crashing in practice at Monaco (started P24), getting stuck behind the safety car in Valencia, drive-through penalty at Silverstone, going from 1st to 3rd in Canada, jumping the start at China

Hamilton - crashing out three times (Singapore, Monza, and Barcelona)

My point is that it's far too easy to say Vettel could have won if he made less mistakes, since that's true for Alonso and Hamilton too!!
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2010, 05:08 PM   #124
MontegoblueE92
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pman10 View Post
Alonso - crashing in practice at Monaco (started P24), getting stuck behind the safety car in Valencia, drive-through penalty at Silverstone, going from 1st to 3rd in Canada, jumping the start at China
And don't forget he spun out at the first corner in Australia and crashed in Belgium.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2010, 05:12 PM   #125
E90SLAM
Supreme Allied Commander
Hong Kong
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by pman10 View Post
At a first glance, 118 points seems shocking. But, let's not forget all the mistakes all the other contenders have made.

Alonso and Hamilton in particular lost fistfuls of points from their mistakes/mishaps. Off the top of my head:

Hamilton - crashing out three times (Singapore, Monza, and Barcelona)

My point is that it's far too easy to say Vettel could have won if he made less mistakes, since that's true for Alonso and Hamilton too!!
Agree, however, it just seems Vettel has the worst luck this season within the title contenders (of coz Hamilton, Alonso, Button and Webber had their moments). He just stands out from the rest in terms of Pole-to-win conversion, and even finish the race. Probably just because he's in the spot light since Bahrain. Like hamilton did in 2008, everyone remembers his every single mistakes.

Others I remember was, Hamilton drive-train lost in Hungary, and Tire blown in Spain. Button cooked his engine in Monaco. Webber amazing RedBull flying in Valencia. Alonso gear box fail in Malaysia and eventually blown the engine (awesome competitive driving nonetheless), and spun out in Spa.
      10-25-2010, 06:02 PM   #126
escobar929
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M2 CS

Garage List
2020 M2 CS  [10.00]
2020 M240i  [0.00]
Quote:
It was something else, evidenced by him finishing the race tens of laps later. Plus everybody was on the same tires . Probably just trying to hide the fact he's a puss in the rain .
this doesnt make any sense what so ever, LH was the only driver than when asked was ready to race and that the rain wasnt that bad, the tire issue started in P2 for both McLaren drivers in the dry, specially in sector 2 and 3. LH only complained about the tires after they put the inters on, so how could he be a puss in the rain when the track was drying out?

what sucked for Button was the horrible timing of his pit stop, although I dont know how much better he could have done
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2010, 09:02 PM   #127
E90SLAM
Supreme Allied Commander
Hong Kong
Rep

Garage List
Attached Images

10-26-2010, 01:35 AM   #128
sq86
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i E92 LMB

Garage List
I hope Weber ends up taking it out from here. I don't know why so many people do not like him. I think he is a good guy and deserves a championship. Vettel is young and has more than enough time to win a championship, unlike Weber.

Also I think it is incredibly hard to compare talents with these guys. They are all great drivers but remember that they are all in different equipment. If they were all in the same cars, i.e. Indy car, then we could compare more. I'd say most are evenly matched. Except Petrov, Senna, etc. who are being blown away by their teammates.

I think it will be interesting next year to see who will do better with the new tires. I think people who are struggling this year with the tires (Schumacher, Massa, Button in recent races) will be much better off next year. But we will have to wait and see won't we. I am looking forward a lot to Brazil though.

BMW CCA Member# 481791
Current: 2013 E92 328i LMB/Saddle Brown (1 of 21 for E92 LCI in that combo), 2018 F31 330xi AW/Saddle Brown
Sold: 2011 1M BS/Black, 2008 E90 328xi AW/Beige, 2001 E46 330xi SG/Black
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2010, 09:16 AM   #129
E90SLAM
Supreme Allied Commander
Hong Kong
Rep

Garage List
Attached Images

10-26-2010, 09:37 AM   #130
inTgr8r
Lieutenant General
Canada
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

..anyone see any comments about Sutil?
He looked like a one man wrecking crew out there.
'07 Z4 M Coupe Alpine White (sold)
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2010, 09:48 AM   #131
MontegoblueE92
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Oddly enough I haven't seen anything. His race was beyond terrible. It almost seemed like he had an incident, whether it was just missing a corner or actually making contact with another car, every other lap.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2010, 09:48 AM   #132
E90SLAM
Supreme Allied Commander
Hong Kong
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
here...

Quote:
Adrian Sutil and Sebastien Buemi have both been slapped with grid slot penalties for the Brazilian GP for causing crashes in Korea.

Sutil, whose Sunday afternoon in South Korea consisted of far too many spins, crashed out of the race but not without doing damage to a rival.

The Force India driver ran out of luck on lap 47, crashing into Sauber's Kamui Kobayashi and earning himself a five-grid slot penalty for the Brazilian GP.

Added to that, Sutil was also fined $10,000 as the Korean stewards felt that by "the driver's admission that he was aware of brake problems with his car throughout the race" he caused unnecessary damage.

However, he wasn't the only driver penalised.

Toro Rosso's Buemi will also start the Interlagos race, the penultimate round of the Championship, five places back on the grid after he collided with Virgin driver Timo Glock.