BMW
X7 and XM
forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Off-Topic Discussions Board Health, Fitness, Martial Arts, and Nutrition What's the best protine power out there?

11-12-2010, 06:05 PM   #23
e92_m3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 e92 m3

Very nice tips on supplements guys! That will definitely help me get bulked up in the next 3-5 months.

In my previous post, my goal is to build lean muscle mass and gain about 8-10 lbs of muscle with about 11-12% bodyfat by August of next year.

Will keep you guys updated on my workout.

bmwmike335 - Thanks for the tip as well.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2010, 06:08 PM   #24
Caddyshk
M = Midlife Crisis
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z4MC Interlagos

Skippy Super Chunk
SS Race Cans, RE X Pipe, DKF Sec 1, Fabspeed Headers, OE STB, AS Shifter, Dave Z CDV, GC Coil Overs, Stoptech lines, Hawk DTC Pads, RE Clutch Stop, RE Transmission Mounts, Vibra-Technics Engine Mounts, Poly FCAB & RTAB, LeatherZ M Shift Boot, Tekarbon Rear Spoiler, CF Grills, Advan RS DGM
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2010, 09:44 PM   #25
TK-421
Registered Sex Offender
United_States
Rep
Drives: E46 M3 | 1JZ S13

Quote:
Originally Posted by 08rookie View Post
haha yea man that greet stuff is amazing!!! i would take that to the gym with me and mix in the locker room...easy to mix...never clumped up or anything...would never use anything else!
That's me too! I keep the 6lb tub in the locker and shake it in the shaker bottle with no clumps at all. Don't even try to make me switch
      11-13-2010, 08:13 AM   #26
Garduna
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: Sedona 1er|Yellow S3|NardoTTRS

Quote:
Originally Posted by 08rookie View Post
working out isnt about instant gratification. its more of a lifestyle to adapt. you wont see benefits immediately but you will def notice muscle growth if your diet is right. if you spent 4 months training hard and then just stopped hitting the weights, but remained on the same high protein diet, your muscles will slowly dissolve back to the pre workout size. i stress slowly because as long as you feed your body protein then your muscles will not loss mass. its is very hard to gain mass and very hard to loose mass....thats why it might take some time in the gym to see results.....

hands down diet is key. you spend 1 hr in the gym but the rest of the day eating. i hate fuckers who would go to the bar and eat wings and beer after training...def defeats the purpose ya kno...

if you live in the northeast we have wawa and they have these little bullshit cottage cheese snacks with jelly on one side and cheese on the other side...has alot of sugar but def worth the taste...i dont think the taste is thatttt bad...just a couple spoonfuls before bed will make me happy...

cottage cheese is just a form of casein protein...so are egg whites...casein protein is the best before bed because the 8 hrs of sleep will deplete your intake...the slow digestion will help...

also, dude, sleeep!!! sleep is def crucial to muscle growth. take naps man ha...your muscles will grow in your sleep...
You won't have to worry about me on wanting a quick fix. I starting hitting the gym back in college and eating really healthy. That was 8 years ago. Things got busy and complicated some years ago and just about a year ago, I got back into full on diet and workouts.

I've seen a lot of growth in the past 11 months and I know very well that it takes time for any visible development. I've recently hit a plateau and was thinking of changing up my supplments in getting bulkier since I'm currently on a muscle building stage. I'll be on a cutting phase next year.

Cottage Cheese is one thing I'm getting a bit bored of so I'm gonna start trying out the ON Casein and cycling that with the cottage cheese just to keeps things different.

Thanks for the tips everyone. I've never felt healthier! Even some of my gym trainer friends that I haven't meet in many months said I've changed a lot when I metup with em recently ^_^
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2010, 02:05 PM   #27
Finnegan
Dog Listener
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4M/. Z3M, E36/46 M3

The protein found in name brands comes from just a few suppliers. Name brands simply mix it this or that way and then call it a fancy name, add fillers (junk), and flavorings, and other crap. You have no idea where it came from--some protein actually is shipped from China . (You know, the country that added plastic to protein in pet food to make it seem like it had protein....) It might even seem like a "good deal" but you get what you pay for (cheap = fillers, whey concentrate with lots of fat and lactose, Chinese ****, and so on). You'd simply be shocked at what really goes on behind the scenes...I had a friend who started a chain of nutrition stores, then his own line of products (including protein). He finally quit because his profit margins were being so drastically undercut by other suppliers with inferior ingredients but better supply chains, marketing, and volume. The only way he could have competed was to sell even worse crap than they did; something he didn't want to do....

Skip the middle men and buy pure in bulk! Most proteins are 8-10 dollars/pound in bulk, and that it pretty comparable to most of what's on the market--except here there are no fillers and you know what you're buying. Proteinfactory supplies bulk casein (several types); whey (isolate, cross-microfiltered, ion, concentrate, hydrolyzed 1400, 500), egg white--about 40 kinds of protein. They have carbs too--low glycemic oat, rice olgliodextrin, maltodextrin, dextrose, etc. You can mix and match all of these and flavor as you like. They'll custom mix for you. You can make your own and try different mixes/formulas to find what works best for you.

I have no affiliation with this company and there are other companies out there that do the same. Find a supplier you like/trust, test their products/results. The point is why buy relabeled and expensive junk when you can buy pure in bulk and combine as you like? DIY and save.

Whoever posted the postworkout mix was right on. 2:1 carbs/protein post workout is tried and true using high glycemic carbs (maltodextrin, dextrose) and fast digesting protein (whey isolate, or if you can tolerate the taste, hydrolyzed casein or hydrolyzed whey). Hydrolysis pre-digests the protein so it passes through the stomach into the small intestine for rapid absorption. But be warned, it tastes like s***. The goal here is fast absorption and an insulin spike to aid recovery--normally insulin causes fat gain, but after a very hard workout it pushes the nutrients into muscle not fat cells.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2010, 02:14 AM   #28
OMID INC
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: E70 X5

just started using GNC's wheybolic extreme 60.. tastes great and low calorie.

dont know why some of you mix protein powder with milk. that inhibits the absorption of the protein lol. water is just fine.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2010, 02:37 AM   #29
Turbo>NA
xbox gamertag: HuGeBluEmOnKeY
Armenia
Rep
Drives: M-Sport LCI

Depends what you wanna do to your body?

Btw, protein shakes are a phase. A year from now you are ganna look back and laugh. Trust me I kno this. Natural baby

E92 335i alpine white | black dokota | auto | zpp | zsp | heated | iPod
- ltbmw : vorsteiner : linea corsa : h&r : k&n : e92-lighting : expectalot-vinyl -
--GONE--
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2010, 08:41 AM   #30
007MCoupe
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 Sakhir M3 ZCP

choclate 2% milk for post-workout

+1M ON Gold Standard/Casein. Great stuff.

I'd throw in there Syntha 6. Best tasting IMO. Muscle Milk tastes like a gymbag.
      12-13-2010, 12:30 PM   #31
Bobby_Light
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E36 M3

Gelatin > Whey
http://www.functionalps.com/blog/?p=1465
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2010, 02:54 PM   #32
TK-421
Registered Sex Offender
United_States
Rep

-don't drink milk postworkout (mostly casein, casein = slow digesting)

-for postworkout, carbs > protein

http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/univ/torr.html
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2010, 03:21 PM   #33
OC Guy
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW 335D E90

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
I have Torrent in Cherry Berry Blast and it is absolutely disgusting.

However Cytofuse in Watermelon by Xtreme Formulations is some of the best protein I have ever had (it is for PWO).

Current: 2010 Alpine White 335D LCI l 19" BBS LMs l KW V2 Coilovers l BMW Performance Grilles l MSport Front/Rear l Karbonwerke Trunk l F1 Pinnacle Tint 35% Former: E92 Space Grey 335i Latest pics

Last edited by OC Guy; 12-13-2010 at 03:28 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2010, 01:09 AM   #34
TK-421
Registered Sex Offender
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by OC 335i View Post
I have Torrent in Cherry Berry Blast and it is absolutely disgusting.

However Cytofuse in Watermelon by Xtreme Formulations is some of the best protein I have ever had (it is for PWO).
I agree that cherry tastes like dog rectum. The apple, on the other hand, tastes exactly like a sour apple jolly rancher - no exaggerations there.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2010, 07:37 AM   #35
007MCoupe
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TK-421 View Post
-don't drink milk postworkout (mostly casein, casein = slow digesting)

-for postworkout, carbs > protein

http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/univ/torr.html
so you're telling me that you don't get done with your workout and slam 2 scoops of protein powder with water? most everyone does. I'm not saying that's wrong. for bodybuilding, sure more protein is good because your end goal is to get bigger. but for people like me, athletic more than heavy lifting, chocoloate milk is probably the best all-around post-workout.

http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/152240.php
http://www.everydayhealth.com/blog/t...-do-the-trick/

I have more, if you'd like.
      12-14-2010, 09:06 AM   #36
Dre01SS
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Corvette Z06

Garage List
2007 E92 335i  [0.00]
Post wod fuel male:
above 12%BF - 30g prot/10g carb
8-12%BF - 30g prot/25g carb
below 8%BF - 30g prot/40g carb

Post wod fuel - female:
above 16%BF - 20g prot/10g carb
12-14%BF - 20g prot/20g carb
below 12%BF - 20g prot/30g carb

Then eat a balanced PFC meal 45-60 min after post wod fuel for everyone (P=protein, F=fat, C=carb)

http://confessionsofacrossfitcoach.b...-recovery.html
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2010, 11:57 AM   #37
TK-421
Registered Sex Offender
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 007MCoupe View Post
so you're telling me that you don't get done with your workout and slam 2 scoops of protein powder with water? most everyone does. I'm not saying that's wrong. for bodybuilding, sure more protein is good because your end goal is to get bigger. but for people like me, athletic more than heavy lifting, chocoloate milk is probably the best all-around post-workout.

http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/152240.php
http://www.everydayhealth.com/blog/t...-do-the-trick/

I have more, if you'd like.
did you even bother clicking on the link? it has enough protein (it says 20 per serving but i throw in an extra scoop - anything over 30 really isn't necessary directly PWO) and it says to take within 30 minutes of your workout. and yes, chocolate milk can be used PWO, but there are much better alternatives, even if you're not trying to look like ahnold
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2010, 12:09 PM   #38
007MCoupe
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
did you even bother clicking on the link? it has enough protein (it says 20 per serving but i throw in an extra scoop - anything over 30 really isn't necessary directly PWO) and it says to take within 30 minutes of your workout. and yes, chocolate milk can be used PWO, but there are much better alternatives, even if you're not trying to look like ahnold
i've actually tried that stuff before. i'm all about taste first, and the stuff my buddy had was terrible. IDK what flavor it was, but it was bad.

My post wasn't meant to be attacking, just getting my side out there. I used to take all the Isopure and this and that after workouts, and i presonally found that chocolate milk tasted better 1, and 2, left me the least sore the next day(s).
      12-14-2010, 12:16 PM   #39
Das.Euro
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 328XI- Montego Blue

Hit the juice and youll be good
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2010, 12:22 PM   #40
talisman311
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e90

+1 on Optimum Nutrition Protein Powder... I've compared with a couple of other brands like GNCs and muscle milk and it won. I had 2 bodybuilders recommend it to me and these guys were ridiculously picky about what they ate (I swear one ate chicken and oatmeal 5-6 times a day for months at a time and the other no carbs every other day to 'shock' the body).

I'm a big fan of tropical punch...throw it in a blender with fruit juice and your fav frozen fruits and it tops anything you've ever had at the local smoothie king.
      12-16-2010, 09:48 AM   #41
OC Guy
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW 335D E90

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
I agree that cherry tastes like dog rectum. The apple, on the other hand, tastes exactly like a sour apple jolly rancher - no exaggerations there.
Oh Doh. Maybe I'll get them to send me a sample. You should really try Cytofuse by xtreme formulations though.

Current: 2010 Alpine White 335D LCI l 19" BBS LMs l KW V2 Coilovers l BMW Performance Grilles l MSport Front/Rear l Karbonwerke Trunk l F1 Pinnacle Tint 35% Former: E92 Space Grey 335i Latest pics
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2010, 01:04 PM   #42
txz4
Major
Rep
Drives: 2006 M coupe

just to add my two cents.... im a powerlifter not a bodybuilder so theres a difference between what i do and whats more important. since i have quit taking protein i have gained MUCH MORE weight and strength. lean weight as well. believe it or not, the best postworkout food for me (im a hard gainer) is wendys bonless wings, baked potato, 5 piece nuggets. sounds counterintuitive but i have leaned up and gained more since ive been eating basically what ever. there is one thing about this that will help in here despite the difference of bodybuilder or powerlifter, i FEEL much better not taking anyprotein at all, and find that my stomach feels 100% better.

if you want to gain weight eat more (not drink) ive been lifting for around 8 years so i know what im doing. and cardio will make you loose muscle if your a hardgainer. i know first hand from cycling. if you arent a heardgainer focus on eating decent during the day. IE subway or something like that. the only time to eat garbage for me is really after a workout. for some reason eating junk works much better than the classic grilled chicken and pasta combo, for me at least.

as far as protein goes, the best for me was true mass, mainly because of flavor and ease on the stomach. that being said, it didnt work nearly as well as real food.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2010, 03:17 PM   #43
Dre01SS
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Corvette Z06

Garage List
2007 E92 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by txz4 View Post
it didnt work nearly as well as real food.
^^^--- Real food > Milk > Protein Shake
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2010, 04:22 PM   #44
TK-421
Registered Sex Offender
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 007MCoupe View Post
i've actually tried that stuff before. i'm all about taste first, and the stuff my buddy had was terrible. IDK what flavor it was, but it was bad.

My post wasn't meant to be attacking, just getting my side out there. I used to take all the Isopure and this and that after workouts, and i presonally found that chocolate milk tasted better 1, and 2, left me the least sore the next day(s).
I was kinda drunk/pissed off when I replied. I see that you didn't mean to attack and I can def see your point

Quote:
Originally Posted by OC 335i View Post
Oh Doh. Maybe I'll get them to send me a sample. You should really try Cytofuse by xtreme formulations though.
If you PM a Universal rep on *******, they should be able to send you a sample packet or two of it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dre01SS View Post
^^^--- Real food > Milk > Protein Shake
This. But immediately after your workout, a shake with water is optimal. Then followed up by a high carb/protein meal within an hour of the shake
Appreciate 0