BMW
X7 and XM
forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Professional Motorsport Racing Discussion (IMSA, DTM, Formula 1, Grand-AM, Le Mans, IRL, WRC, etc..) 2011 Formula 1 Qantas Australian Grand Prix

03-27-2011, 03:07 AM   #111
E90SLAM
Supreme Allied Commander
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: A BBS WHORE

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimateBMW View Post
Btw. Screw Speed for showing that Cars 2 advert right as the drivers were getting out of their cars. That should have waited til after the trophies were handed out.
They've been doing this for years...
      03-27-2011, 03:12 AM   #112
E90SLAM
Supreme Allied Commander
Hong Kong
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jules-B View Post
This is true. However the general knowledge of the commentators also seems to be significantly lower than ours.
I guess it will always be a bigger thing back in england!

Not a bad race though, i hope it doesnt become boring having red bull out in front!.

Congrats to petrov!
Definitely BBC Sport has better relationship with F1 teams and did much more thorough research for their pre-race show and post race forum. I always download the BBC torrent afterwards.

Its nice to watch BBC given their in-depth knowledge and closer to current F1 driver's insight (DC, Martin Brundle)...not David Hobbs in the 60-70s....

The only person that's providing better technical perspective is Steve Matchett, however, most of the time he did was "This is what the Sporting Regulation stated exactly....."...

Given the "attention" that F1 has in North America, SPEED would prefer to spend the money on NASCAR and other American oriented motor sport...will give them a wider audience base in US...

I just wish there's a satellite channel that feeds BBC 1 (or 2 in case of live football such as world cup) in North America....
      03-27-2011, 03:19 AM   #113
UltimateBMW
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: MP4

Quote:
Originally Posted by E90SLAM View Post
I just wish there's a satellite channel that feeds BBC 1 (or 2 in case of live football such as world cup) in North America....
I've been trying pretty hard to find somethng along those lines. There really isn't any workable option for it though.

And for HD... forget about it.
      03-27-2011, 04:05 AM   #114
johanness
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2008 Z4MC

Garage List
Yay Vettel! but super congrats to Perez's point finish. HOW THE HELL did he manage his tires? Shows it can be done. I hope he and Kob have a great year
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2011, 09:50 AM   #115
JB135MDCT
I'm just a cook
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimateBMW View Post
The 107% rule is for safety. Think slow cars on the highway as the reason speed limits are still so low. Modern cars can go faster while maintaining safety but when you put in the slower moving vehicles it becomes much more dangerous. .
We need this rule for Maryland highways.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2011, 12:07 PM   #116
Goonz
Rep
Drives: 08' G37S Coupe

I still cant believe Petrov finished 3rd, great drive for him and well deserved, I honestly expected him to pick up where he left off last season by crashing out.

Man RB is in a league of their own, but the fight of the race was def. for 5th place where Massa tried his best to hold back Button but after it was all said and done, Massa just dropped off and had nothing to show for during the race, it seems to be last season all over again.

Lets go Alonso!
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2011, 12:30 PM   #117
BrokenVert
Resident Kerbalnaut
United_States
Rep
Drives: Topless Brute/Hybrid Boogaloo

Damn good work by Petrov.

Appreciate 0
      03-27-2011, 12:41 PM   #118
E90SLAM
Supreme Allied Commander
Hong Kong
Rep

Garage List
Sauber pair disqualified for technical infringement

Quote:
Sauber's Sergio Perez and Kamui Kobayashi have both been excluded from the Australian Grand Prix for a technical infringement. Sauber immediately lodged a statement of intent to appeal and said it gained no advantage

A random post-race test by the FIA found the dimensions of the rear of the cars contravened two regulations - 3.10.1 and 3.10.2 - with the upper rear-wing being highlighted as breaching the rule that states "the local concave radius of curvature may not be smaller than 100mm". The outcome removes the pair from point-scoring positions, with Perez originally in seventh and Kobayashi in eighth.

"This is a very surprising and disappointing result," said technical director James Key. "It appears that there is a question over the top surface of the uppermost rear wing element, this area is not the working surface of the component and therefore relatively unimportant to its function. Certainly this has not lead to any performance advantage. We are checking the design of the parts now to better understand the situation and we intend to appeal the decision made by the stewards."

The result is that Felipe Massa moves up to seventh and Sebastian Buemi eighth, with the Force India pair of Adrian Sutil and Paul di Resta in ninth and tenth respectively.

Force India also asked the FIA to investigate Buemi's pass on Sutil, during which the Toro Rosso appeared to run wide off the track at turn four, but the governing body deemed the move legal.

Regulations

Article 3.10.1 Any bodywork more than 150mm behind the rear wheel centre line which is between 150mm and 730mm above the reference plane, and between 75mm and 355mm from the car centre line, must lie in an area when viewed from the side of the car that is situated between 150mm and 350mm behind the rear wheel centre line and between 300mm and 400mm above the reference plane. When viewed from the side of the car no longitudinal cross section may have more than one section in this area.
Furthermore, no part of this section in contact with the external air stream may have a local concave radius of curvature smaller than 100mm.

Once this section is defined, 'gurney' type trim tabs may be fitted to the trailing edge. When measured in any longitudinal cross section no dimension of any such trim tab may exceed 20mm.

Article 3.10.2 Other than the bodywork defined in Article 3.10.9, any bodywork behind a point lying 50mm forward of the rear wheel centre line which is more than 730mm above the reference plane, and less than 355mm from the car centre line, must lie in an area when viewed from the side of the car that is situated between the rear wheel centre line and a point 350mm behind it.
http://en.espnf1.com/australia/motor...ory/44415.html
      03-27-2011, 12:45 PM   #119
E90SLAM
Supreme Allied Commander
Hong Kong
Rep

Garage List
Sunday pics
Attached Images

03-27-2011, 12:50 PM   #120
E90SLAM
Supreme Allied Commander
Hong Kong
Rep

Garage List
Attached Images

03-27-2011, 01:34 PM   #121
GregTheStig
derp
Armenia
Rep
Drives: a Tuk Tuk

Even though I was half-asleep for the entire thing I enjoyed watching it. I'm still amazed how Vettel got so far ahead by the first turn. Many congrats to Vettel, Hamilton, and especially Petrov!
      03-27-2011, 01:39 PM   #122
EINSER M
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW i3 rex

Garage List
Thnx for the opening win to Seb. This is looking good for RBR and his repeat!
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2011, 03:39 PM   #123
DM1
Captain
Mexico
Rep
Drives: Mini Cooper S Paceman

Garage List
2007 Z4 3.0si  [7.00]
2006 325i  [0.00]
2005 Renault Megane RS  [0.00]
Not fair for Sauber, they did a good job, I am unsure about this millimetrical measure, and Perez did a great job as a rookie.

It was a very good race and we will see a lot of action this season, Petrov was impressive, Vettel was as with Hamilton, good, great as usual and Alonso a bit not to the expectation, the start got him, Massa mmmm no words.

Follow my blog at http://dmauto.wordpress.com
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2011, 09:30 PM   #124
CDM3DCT
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Jet Black M3 DCT

It was a great race, I think RBR is going to be the top dogs to beat for not only this year but a couple more to come.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2011, 11:28 PM   #125
mtla4
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: Turbo Festiva

What a slap Vettel dominated from start to finish. Petrov surprised me he's getting better and better. It looks like it will be a fun season to watch RB team will win again while we'll see who will be the best of the rest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Severious View Post
Its because a lot of BMW owners are housewives or business professionals and know little about cars other than BMW's are a status symbol in their own circles so that have to have one. But exotic car owners know cars, that's why they are willing to spend for a killer car and they know something different when they see one.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2011, 11:30 PM   #126
Goonz
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDM3DCT View Post
It was a great race, I think RBR is going to be the top dogs to beat for not only this year but a couple more to come.
They are on a hot streak, just like the Ferrari/Schumi era, but rules are different and both webber and vettel I feel are extremely inconsistent if they start the race not from pole.

Mclaren and Ferrari aren't as far as they were like in last season so hopefully this RB dominance is short lived..
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2011, 11:33 PM   #127
JCtx
Major General
Rep
Drives: No BMW yet

Man, SV kicked a$$, and is leading the championship for the first time other than the last race of 2010 (when it counted the most ).

And yes, Perez was impressive. And he could have qualified in the top 10 easy if it wasn't for bad luck. I thought he just bought the seat with Slim's money, but the guy can definitely drive. At least better than many others there.

Finally, I don't think reliability can be judged on the first race, but will know more by the end of the 3rd. How many new engines and trannies this year? The same? It was 8 and 5, right?
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2011, 12:58 AM   #128
UltimateBMW
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: MP4

Quote:
Originally Posted by elp_jc View Post
And yes, Perez was impressive. And he could have qualified in the top 10 easy if it wasn't for bad luck. I thought he just bought the seat with Slim's money, but the guy can definitely drive. At least better than many others there.
You must have mixed up Perez with Maldonado.

Sure, Maldonado won the GP2 championship but did so in his 3rd year there. Most of the F1 recruits from GP2 are only there for like 1 year. In which case they enter, win, and move up.
      03-28-2011, 02:58 AM   #129
Goonz
Rep

The G is just insanely heavy and i didnt expect it to win against the M at all. I own a regular G37S and even I feel the new IPL is just silly and ridiculous looking, looks like a cheap ricer car..

I do love the infiniti nav however
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2011, 03:58 AM   #130
Blake
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Chevy Aveo

vettel is such a boss
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2011, 04:39 AM   #131
Blake
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Chevy Aveo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goonz View Post
The G is just insanely heavy and i didnt expect it to win against the M at all. I own a regular G37S and even I feel the new IPL is just silly and ridiculous looking, looks like a cheap ricer car..

I do love the infiniti nav however
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2011, 08:27 AM   #132
E90SLAM
Supreme Allied Commander
Hong Kong
Rep

Garage List
Attached Images