BMW
X7 and XM
forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Professional Motorsport Racing Discussion (IMSA, DTM, Formula 1, Grand-AM, Le Mans, IRL, WRC, etc..) 2011 Formula 1 Ubs Chinese Grand Prix

04-17-2011, 09:54 PM   #111
KANdaddy
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 22 M3C XDrive-Ind Grey Blk

All I can say is WOW! F1 is back! That was one of the most exciting races I have seen in a long time. So much passing throughout the pack and some great strategies played out. I was on the edge of my seat. The drive of the race HAS to go to MW. When he was having issues just keeping Perez behind him I thought his day was done. Then to watch him charge through the pack and end up on the podium?! Amazing.

SV’s result is still great. He received the best possible result for his circumstances. Great drive from LH. The better tires and strategy paid off for him today. Although I will say he celebrated as if he just won the championship.
Quote:
Originally Posted by abisson View Post
He needed a reality check imo.
Reality check from what? SV is one of the most humble drivers IMO. The guy always thanks his team, acknowledges the talents of his competitors, and points out that the next day/race is a new challenge and there is never anything that is for sure – including any future success or wins.
Quote:
Originally Posted by johanness View Post
He caught himself 1/2 way through once he realized what he said and tried to smooth it out... but the slap to RBR was already done. Idiot
I don’t think he was bashing SV. I think he was just relieved; like everyone else; that SV was not going to simply run away with the championship and that today’s result showed that there is the potential for a lot of great races and for many driver’s to be in the hunt. I think that is something that everyone who is passionate about F1, drivers and fans, are hoping for this year. He caught himself b/c he realized it sounded “bad” the way it came out, but I don’t believe he meant it that way. The guy just wants the competition to be exciting and to have a chance to be in the mix ☺
      04-17-2011, 10:15 PM   #112
pnutty
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335

I can't believe that I missed this one. I cannot connect to my slingbox that I left set up @ my home in CA

Does anyone know where I can find replays / highlights online?
      04-17-2011, 11:29 PM   #113
gary88
Ikea enthusiast
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 E92 335i

Garage List
2007 E92 335i  [7.96]
Fantastic race, what a comeback for Webber. Also what a good win for Hamilton, especially with his fuel leak right before the race started. Well-earned. Button has to be frustrated though, pitting into RBR didn't help him either haha.

Disappointed to see Ferrari struggling, although Massa had a pretty good race. They have a few weeks to work things out though.
      04-17-2011, 11:42 PM   #114
phrozen06
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 328it, RIP M3, E46 Sold

Webber was on a mission. I've never seen a drive like that before even with his KERS not working.
      04-18-2011, 01:27 AM   #115
M3_WC
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by phrozen06 View Post
Webber was on a mission. I've never seen a drive like that before even with his KERS not working.
The current tires and DRS make a drive like this possible. A few years back he could have never done this, it was follow the leader. No matter how much quicker your car was, it was nearly impossible to overtake.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2011, 01:35 AM   #116
abisson
Canada FTW.
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 VW R - Stg 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3_WC View Post
The current tires and DRS make a drive like this possible. A few years back he could have never done this, it was follow the leader. No matter how much quicker your car was, it was nearly impossible to overtake.
mmmm Schumi has done it in the past...
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2011, 01:44 AM   #117
Echo M3
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Phenomenal race, my favorite of the year by a long way. I would put this on par with Montreal last year - I never knew who would end up on the podium, let alone clinch the win.

Surprised that few commented about the stellar drive from Massa; for a driver who had only recently been thrown into the '2nd driver' role, he quite convincingly beat Alonso and, were it not for some shoddy strategy from the team, could quite conceivably have ended up on the podium!

Button seemed to have slept on the wrong side of the bed today, and was lucky to end up with 4th. He just seemed completely lost.

And of course, Hamilton and Webber were superb today. Hamilton's drive was the sort that separates a good driver from one of the greats.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2011, 02:37 AM   #118
marcel b
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F31 340i

Quote:
It's probably Webber's last year at RedBull. He wants to win a WDC and he has the car to do so. He doesn't want Vettel to win and wants somebody else to do so, and that includes himself.

He shouldn't have said that out loud... but I mean... Reminds me of the tension between Alonso and Hamilton.
great weekend, great drive of Hammilton and Webber. I think Vettel could have won on a 3 stopper, but that's life.

the comments Webber is making is really not clever... I personally also think RB would not be so stupid to sabotage (as some people call it) Webber the first races of the season. This whole conspiracy thing against Webber is getting Hilarious. You should read the comments on the Facebookpage of RedBull Racing.

I hope we get more races like this. Massa in front of Alonsa (again) was by the way also very "interesting" to see
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2011, 07:35 AM   #119
E90SLAM
Supreme Allied Commander
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: A BBS WHORE

Garage List
Attached Images

04-18-2011, 07:41 AM   #120
escobar929
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M2 CS

Garage List
2020 M2 CS  [10.00]
2020 M240i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by E90SLAM View Post
I wonder what happened to Hamilton's car right before the race, kudos to the mechanical getting it fixed up and ready right before the formation lap...

and how did JB drove into the wrong pit crew...
apparently one of the fuel lines broken and fuel was leaking everywhere, great job by McLaren and getting it fixed just in time

i still cant believe he did that, McLaren could have prob a 1-2 finish but it seemed Button wasnt the same after it, he lost too much time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoli007 View Post
Im curious to see if anything ends up happening to Ferrari and Alonso for having Alonso's wing in the open position on a section of track not allwed.

It was only for maybe two seconds max, but it was up.
funny how all the FA fans have chosen to forget this happened, hope he gets penalized, that was clearly cheating. If LH did that, it would be the end of the world
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2011, 07:46 AM   #121
BTM
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: A///MERICAN!!!

Garage List
Quote:
mmmm Schumi has done it in the past...
Raikkonen a few times as well
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2011, 08:34 AM   #122
UltimateBMW
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: MP4

Quote:
Originally Posted by escobar929 View Post
apparently one of the fuel lines broken and fuel was leaking everywhere, great job by McLaren and getting it fixed just in time

i still cant believe he did that, McLaren could have prob a 1-2 finish but it seemed Button wasnt the same after it, he lost too much time

funny how all the FA fans have chosen to forget this happened, hope he gets penalized, that was clearly cheating. If LH did that, it would be the end of the world
I'll agree that the pitstop error really deflated him. However, he still pulled out of the box in front of Hamilton. It probably wasn't until Hamilton passed him that his race was mostly over, and his last set of tires wasn't a 100% fresh set I don't believe since he lost massive pace once he got on them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTM View Post
Raikkonen a few times as well
Don't forget Alonso in Monaco last year! From the pits to 7th... in Monaco! Far more difficult to pass, and no aids including KERS. Really, coming to the front from the back is impressive but it happens often when a fast car is behind slow cars, most notably a Red Bull. Their improved downforce really makes it easier.

Button also had a similar scenario of starting in 14th and finishing in 4th.
      04-18-2011, 08:35 AM   #123
E90SLAM
Supreme Allied Commander
Hong Kong
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by escobar929 View Post

I wouldn't say cost the 1-2 for McLaren, even he did lost a track position at the moment to Vettel. However, In the big picture, overall in the race, he would still be behind Vettel once the RB7 got fresh rubber.

It might possible that he will have bit more (2 secs or 4) breathing space between him and webber in the final laps of the race. However, I think Webber passing him on the last lap was inevitable.
      04-18-2011, 08:36 AM   #124
E90SLAM
Supreme Allied Commander
Hong Kong
Rep

Garage List
Here's the funny moment...
Attached Images

04-18-2011, 08:38 AM   #125
E90SLAM
Supreme Allied Commander
Hong Kong
Rep

Garage List
The FIA is looking into how Alonso's DRS can be enabled out of DRS zone without FIA enabling the system.

http://planet-f1.com/news/3213/68825...g-Alonso-s-DRS
Quote:
The FIA have launched an investigation into why Fernando Alonso's adjustable rear wing was activated outside the prescribed zone.

Formula One introduced the adjustable rear wing, or Drag Reduction System (DRS), at the start of this season to great applause.

But, Sunday's Chinese GP saw its first error.

The DRS is "enabled electronically by systems operated by the FIA" with drivers needing to be within one second of the car in front and within the activation zone.

In China, that zone started 750 metres before the hairpin at the end of the main straight and basically ended with the hairpin.

However, Alonso was seen with his adjustable rear wing activated after the hairpin, prompting some fans to question why the Spaniard wasn't penalised.

According to the BBC, the error came when Alonso's wing was enabled "300m before the end of the straight", instead of the 750m.

That meant it was still active when the Ferrari driver headed towards the final corner.

And because he "gained no advantage from the situation - in fact it actually caused him a disadvantage - so was given no penalty."

The Beeb added that the FIA are investigating the error.
      04-18-2011, 08:42 AM   #126
UltimateBMW
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
The FIA is looking into how Alonso's DRS can be enabled out of DRS zone without FIA enabling the system.

http://planet-f1.com/news/3213/68825...g-Alonso-s-DRS
In the BBC post show Forum they talked about it a little and DC mentioned there is no way for Ferrari to bypass the safeguards.

I call Bullshit. It's their car, I can guarantee they could bypass whatever they like. And since the DRS is only activated by physically pushing a button, not just software that autokicks it on when allowed.

It wasn't really used in a manor that gave them a benefit unless it happened multiple times in the race though.
      04-18-2011, 08:43 AM   #127
UltimateBMW
Brigadier General
Rep

To change the topic slightly, I thought Schumacher had a good race even if his result wasn't impressive. He was battling with Alonso for much of the race. His car is still slow, but it was nice to see a little spark back in his eyes.
      04-18-2011, 08:46 AM   #128
BTM
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimateBMW View Post

Don't forget Alonso in Monaco last year! From the pits to 7th... in Monaco! Far more difficult to pass, and no aids including KERS.
You're absolutely right! Forgot about that one
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2011, 08:51 AM   #129
BTM
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
To change the topic slightly, I thought Schumacher had a good race even if his result wasn't impressive. He was battling with Alonso for much of the race. His car is still slow, but it was nice to see a little spark back in his eyes.
I think he underestimated the learning curve but he is definitely improving. Fun to watch him battle Alonso like the good ole days. It's also interesting how far having the best car goes...with current regs so tight exploiting a few advantages really makes a huge difference, like Ferrari was able to during his heyday (if we can please refrain from turning this comment into a referendum on the FIA and Ferrari sleeping together). I believe in the Senna documentary he estimated it to be 70% car 30% driver (not that those are absolute figures in the least) but it seems to be even more so now...not to say Jensen Button is not an excellent pilot, but just sayin'
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2011, 09:06 AM   #130
E90SLAM
Supreme Allied Commander
Hong Kong
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
In the BBC post show Forum they talked about it a little and DC mentioned there is no way for Ferrari to bypass the safeguards.

I call Bullshit. It's their car, I can guarantee they could bypass whatever they like. And since the DRS is only activated by physically pushing a button, not just software that autokicks it on when allowed.

It wasn't really used in a manor that gave them a benefit unless it happened multiple times in the race though.
there's no such thing as "no way"...if Ferrari is desperate to do it...they can!
I'm not saying the team intentionally do it on purpose in this case, but any electronics can have errors and overrides.

I'd guess with the amount of buttons on the car, its not impossible that Fernando was trying to press the KERS button but accidently pressed the DRS button. Somehow the system recognized it was within the DRS zone and allowed the flaps to open.

Maybe it was because that part of the track (between turn 15 and 16), was "close" to the long straight in opposite direction. Thus the GPS used (depends on the accuracy, but I doubt it) read and believe the car was on the back straight and allowed the DRS to open.

This was just one speculation. Maybe the system was flawed already given they allowed the drivers to used whenever they want during Practice sessions and Qualifying. There might be something happened when they switch from Friday-Sat to Sunday Race system.
      04-18-2011, 09:12 AM   #131
UltimateBMW
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Maybe it was because that part of the track (between turn 15 and 16), was "close" to the long straight in opposite direction. Thus the GPS used (depends on the accuracy, but I doubt it) read and believe the car was on the back straight and allowed the DRS to open.
That is an interesting thought. Though, it seems to have bypassed the entire arming process and section of the track if the case.

Ferrari's DRS system is a trigger behind the wheel handles I believe. One on the left and one on the right. Whether both are for DRS or one is for KERS I don't know. But if they have individual functions I doubt he pressed the DRS one by mistake. Which then leads to, why did he push the DRS button in the first place?

This is mostly speculation though. I'll be happy to hear what the FIA finds out about it.
      04-18-2011, 09:20 AM   #132
E90SLAM
Supreme Allied Commander
Hong Kong
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by BTM View Post
I think he underestimated the learning curve but he is definitely improving. Fun to watch him battle Alonso like the good ole days. It's also interesting how far having the best car goes...with current regs so tight exploiting a few advantages really makes a huge difference, like Ferrari was able to during his heyday (if we can please refrain from turning this comment into a referendum on the FIA and Ferrari sleeping together). I believe in the Senna documentary he estimated it to be 70% car 30% driver (not that those are absolute figures in the least) but it seems to be even more so now...not to say Jensen Button is not an excellent pilot, but just sayin'
I just finished the movie yesterday afternoon, awesome movie!!!
I actually cried during the funeral when they had a snapshot of everyone and a short clip of their interaction with Senna when was still alive.

Back to your post, it was one of the interview from Richard Williams. Back in the days the car was more simple, more emphasis on mechanical grip and less on aerodynamics. Steering wheel is just to turn, and there's a stick to shift gears. The figure is just to state how good senna was! in any race, he give his full potential and push the car to the limit. Whatever the combination were, he's always on 100% or even more. That's how I read after watching that interview.