BMW
X7 and XM
forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Professional Motorsport Racing Discussion (IMSA, DTM, Formula 1, Grand-AM, Le Mans, IRL, WRC, etc..) 2012 Formula 1 Australian Grand Prix

03-20-2012, 08:23 AM   #155
E90SLAM
Supreme Allied Commander
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: A BBS WHORE

Garage List
I somewhat didn't think Hamilton's post race reaction is inappropriate. Perhaps he's still sinking in and thinking how the heck i didn't the race. Mentally still recap from start to finish what happened.

After press conference, then the PR machine kicked in and politically perfect wording to the media.

We saw the same face when Vettel lost out to Button back in 2009 in Brazil. Nothing wrong with that, you can't expect the driver be happy when he just lost out, especially with the one he knows he could've win. Just how the entire scenario played out last Sunday.
      03-20-2012, 08:30 AM   #156
E90SLAM
Supreme Allied Commander
Hong Kong
Rep

Garage List
Attached Images

03-20-2012, 10:11 AM   #157
TexasZed4MC
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 Interlagos Z4 M Coupe

My opinion is Lewis can be an amazing driver on the right tracks, on others he is over agressive and basically ruins the race for himself. Button and Vettel are far better drivers of their cars, taking care of their equipment and tires better. Lewis would help his image a great deal by just stopping the whinning.

Lone Star Chapter BMWCCA HPDE Event Chair, Texas Trifecta Event Chair, & BMWCCA driving Instructor
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2012, 12:30 PM   #158
Impervious
UNC FTW
Pakistan
Rep
Drives: Black Sapphire 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by escobar929 View Post
and lol WTF is Webbers problem, he keeps doing the same thing, crazy how he always pulls a good race and ends up in the top 5
I have a hard time understanding Webber.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2012, 03:28 AM   #159
niwad25
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 320i 325i 530d 335i

I went to Melbourne last week to watch the F1 live. The view is pretty good and I just can't afford to take some pictures. Anyway, here's what I got.

MICHAEL SCHUMACHER by niwad25, on Flickr

SEBASTIAN VETTEL by niwad25, on Flickr

FERNANDO ALONSO by niwad25, on Flickr

KIMI RAIKKONEN by niwad25, on Flickr

JENSON BUTTON by niwad25, on Flickr
      03-21-2012, 06:04 AM   #160
Terraforce1
If you ain't first, you're last!
Singapore
Rep
Drives: '14 Boxster GTS + 14' 1199 S

Thanks to all for the great pics

I thought Button drove extremely well, tough luck for Hamilton, it just wasn't his day. I think Vettel possibly would have passed him anyway if the safety car debacle didn't take place.

I thought it was funny when Raikonnen said "why do they keep waving the blue flags at me!" Surely he should know after all the years of racing what a blue flag is for. Or is it possibly cause he was in WRC for a bit?!

Looking forward to the rest of the season. I'll be glued to my TV for every race. And I agree, I miss Martin Brundle's commentary, the race felt a bit different without him. I know it sounds weird but it truly did.

Thanks guys
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2012, 06:28 AM   #161
jonasaurus
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 [Sold]

Quote:
Originally Posted by E90SLAM View Post
I watched steaming from Sky and Speed HD at the same time just to get Martin Brundle commentating. I felt SkyF1 has the tools and will to make it good. They've done much better than iTV couple years ago.

But their hosts needs to brush up some interview skills. Natalie needs to ask better questions and interact better with the paddock and drivers. Damon Hill is useless on the show and he doesn't have as good connection and good sport as Eddie Jordan. Sometimes Eddie babbles nonsense, but he has better relationship with many team boss and officials than Damon Hill as I saw compare BBC and Sky.

Ted Kravis has been given a better role on explaining technology and pitlane walk during the race. The Sky-deck (or watever its called), Georgie is complete useless, but Davidson surprised me as he comment on the pole lap from Vettel 2011 and this year. Future he might be a good commentator pair with Martin Brundle.

Simon will need sometime to improve his hosting skill and interact with Hill and Brundle. I don't see a lot in-depth questions and concerns to the other hosts. He sounded like a news anchor to me rather than hosting a sport event. Guess they have not build their chemistry yet.

We've seen good chemistry between Jake, DC, and EJ, (and Brundle on Forum) in the past. And I've thoroughly enjoyed their chemistry and love when EJ had no shame and just walk into anyone's garage and interview anyone he liked. Also shutting off RedBull garage's "big bad wolf"...

From what I felt, BBC makes you feel F1 is everyone's sport and very personal, its more about people. and Sky is very glamour and very technical. But they have the potential to bring in great coverage in the future!
I totally agree with you, I watched the Sky coverage and in comparison BBC's chemistry, presentation and overall package with Jake, David and Eddie is much more entertaining to put it very simply, Sky do try take a more technical approach which is nice but the whole thing doesn't have the same feel.

As per other's comments I too think Webber needs to sort out his starts but despite that he nearly always comes back so strong with good race pace. If he can get some good starts I think he will be be doing great.

Understandable how Lewis wasn't happy with the result but he does seem to be more prone to emotional turmoil than Jenson, Sebastian or Mark. That being said its difficult to label him as a sore loser even though on the face of it he comes off that way. Given all the drivers have very different personal lives. characters and attitudes they will naturally react differently to situations.
      03-22-2012, 12:43 AM   #162
yakev724
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 15 S3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonasaurus View Post
I totally agree with you, I watched the Sky coverage and in comparison BBC's chemistry, presentation and overall package with Jake, David and Eddie is much more entertaining to put it very simply, Sky do try take a more technical approach which is nice but the whole thing doesn't have the same feel.
Not too happy with Sky here either. Pre race just felt awkward after BBC's phenomenal work. Still, Brundle is very welcome in the booth and thankfully commercial free (unlike the direct feed here in the states on Speed).

Great race.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2012, 01:21 PM   #163
UltimateBMW
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: MP4

Quote:
Originally Posted by yakev724 View Post
Not too happy with Sky here either. Pre race just felt awkward after BBC's phenomenal work. Still, Brundle is very welcome in the booth and thankfully commercial free (unlike the direct feed here in the states on Speed).

Great race.
The race is commercial free, as it is also not Sky's broadcast at that point, but a feed from Formula 1 Management that Sky relays with voice over.

However, the pre/post shows do have commercials.
      03-22-2012, 01:42 PM   #164
gary88
Ikea enthusiast
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 E92 335i

Garage List
2007 E92 335i  [7.96]
I watched the full race weekend coverage on Sky, and the race coverage for BBC. Sky is okay, Crofty and Brundle make a pretty good team, but not as good as Brundle/Coulthard. Simon/Brundle/Hill make a up a pretty lacklucster presentation team, nowhere near as good as Jake/Eddie/DC. Brundle always has something interesting to say, but Simon is boring and Damon Hill looks like he's bored out of his mind and doesn't even wat to be there 90% of the time. Skypad is unnecessary, more of a "look what we can do!" segment. Ted Kravitz is always good to hear from, Natalie Pinkham is nothing to complain about. Also, we don't need to see that 20 second piece with Nigel Mansell every time they come back from commercial, and they stole "Just Drive" from the 2010 BBC end of season montage.

I watched the BBC highlights and enjoyed it much more than almost all of the Sky presentation. The post-race forum with Jake/Eddie/DC is always wonderful to watch, and their presentation value is much much better. They know how to put music to footage beautifully. I'm really looking forward to the 10 races they get to cover live. Sky isn't as bad as I thought it would be, it's still very watchable, but nothing will beat the golden years of BBC F1 from 2009-2011.
      03-22-2012, 02:36 PM   #165
yakev724
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gary88 View Post
I watched the full race weekend coverage on Sky, and the race coverage for BBC.
I thought BBC didn't cover this race? Are they doing their usual pre and post race shows even for races which they're not broadcasting live? Or just the highlight show later on?

From their website, the races they're broadcasting:

15 April: China
13 May: Spain
27 May: Monaco
24 June: Europe
8 July: Britain
2 September: Belgium
23 September: Singapore
14 October: Korea
4 November: Abu Dhabi
25 November: Brazil
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2012, 03:56 PM   #166
E90SLAM
Supreme Allied Commander
Hong Kong
Rep

Garage List
One thing to point out between various broadcasters.
We won't be nick-picking on Sky if they had the broadcasting right from 2009 took over from iTV. I can say Sky did a great job on the first race, a lot of room to improve in terms host chemistry, interviews, and post race comments.

Simon did okay, but I really dis-like Hill and Georgie, Hill space out all the time as if he just stoned from weed; and Georgie asking useless questions and not in-depth interviews (one thing stands out when she kept asking Ted Kravis about Mercedes's DRS-F-Duct, will it become a game changer, and Ted looked kinda annoyed). I just don't like Sky's coverage like showing off how many people we can hire and and standing around pointlessly.

Maybe I will stream BBC in Chinese GP when TV showing SPEED-HD.
      03-22-2012, 04:21 PM   #167
gary88
Ikea enthusiast
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 E92 335i  [7.96]
Quote:
I thought BBC didn't cover this race? Are they doing their usual pre and post race shows even for races which they're not broadcasting live? Or just the highlight show later on?

They still cover most of the race, just not live. When they're not broadcasting live they show either 90 minute or two hour extended highlights depending on the race location. Their pre and post-race coverage is cut down a bit but still good.
      03-22-2012, 06:35 PM   #168
UltimateBMW
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:

They'll do Highlights of all races (which was more than I thought it was going to be when I saw it, 2 hrs long), but only the ones listed above are live and the full race.
      03-22-2012, 07:01 PM   #169
yakev724
Brigadier General
Rep

Got it, thanks

as slam said, really can't complain (esp. stateside). I remember watching a few races on Speed at the beginning of last season
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2012, 07:14 PM   #170
E90SLAM
Supreme Allied Commander
Hong Kong
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Got it, thanks

as slam said, really can't complain (esp. stateside). I remember watching a few races on Speed at the beginning of last season
SPEED piss me off...the only upside is the HD...
I'm still using Sky to stream for commentating...and so I try not to miss anything during the commercial.

Hate Speed when they went on commercial, there's a lot of action (since the new pirelli came to play) throughout the race. So when speed went to commercial, we missed 2-3 overtakes or pitstops or incidents.

Then Speed just go for replay of the incidents, that took 1-2 minutes for each incident. Then during replay, we missed more actions, then more replays. WTF??? I might as well watch BBC Replay God Dammit!!!

I don't see what's the point of saying we broadcast F1 in HD if they go to commercial all the time?
      03-22-2012, 08:13 PM   #171
yakev724
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
I'm still using Sky to stream for commentating...and so I try not to miss anything during the commercial.

Hate Speed when they went on commercial, there's a lot of action (since the new pirelli came to play) throughout the race. So when speed went to commercial, we missed 2-3 overtakes or pitstops or incidents.

Then Speed just go for replay of the incidents, that took 1-2 minutes for each incident. Then during replay, we missed more actions, then more replays. WTF??? I might as well watch BBC Replay God Dammit!!!

I don't see what's the point of saying we broadcast F1 in HD if they go to commercial all the time?
I'm just DLing the race after the fact. Giving up live feed for commercial free and HD.

The BBC iPlayer we had the link for last season still works so that'll be good for the BBC races, maybe I can find something similar for sky...

Last edited by yakev724; 03-22-2012 at 08:21 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2012, 08:37 PM   #172
gary88
Ikea enthusiast
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 E92 335i  [7.96]
Quote:
There is no upside to SPEED.

03-22-2012, 08:52 PM   #173
yakev724
Brigadier General
Rep

no way...
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2012, 10:26 PM   #174
UltimateBMW
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:

03-22-2012, 11:12 PM   #175
Echo M3
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Quote:

I will never again complain about SKY...dear God what is this shit?
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2012, 11:29 PM   #176
E90SLAM
Supreme Allied Commander
Hong Kong
Rep

Garage List
What was seen, cannot be unseen. I tried so hard to forget that...and cannot believe I have to watch it again...

WHO THE F*** put the title "The best intro ever"....bet he hasn't seen anything from SKY or BBC yet...