BMW X7 (G07) Forums General BMW X7 Forum X7 Height Clearance with Roof Box

12-01-2022, 08:47 AM   #23
serpentine
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X3M

Quote:
Originally Posted by laozixiazi View Post
Do you have to get the OEM crossbars so you can do that in minutes? I heard the Thule ones are harder to remove when you don't need them?
I have lower profile Thules. Comparatively to the OEMs it’s exponentially more time consuming. But the overall quantum of time getting the bars set and box on is 15 mins or less. So not really bad. With the Thule, you have to remove the caps, set the bars, tighten, then traverse each side of the vehicle for final tighten and then put the caps and locks on.

OEM is all self contained so a few less steps. I have my cargo box on a storage rack suspended from the ceiling of my garage. So getting it on myself is not hard. I first remove all the ski crap stored in it, then slide it out overhead like an old school long board, and carefully walk it onto the rails, center it and tighten down. Then reload.

I agree with others that if you may want to consider installing and removing as needed given your clearance issues.
Appreciate 1
      12-03-2022, 01:55 PM   #24
JoeyDDD0919
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 22 X7 40i

Got a pair of cross bars for 170 from Amazon. Happy with the look.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-05-2022, 07:54 AM   #25
toddwalton
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2019 X7 - 2024 G26

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyDDD0919 View Post
Who makes those? Are they from a reputable brand?
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2022, 02:12 PM   #26
JoeyDDD0919
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddwalton View Post
Quote:
Who makes those? Are they from a reputable brand?
It's not a known brand. I found this via another thread on the forum. It's an Amazon listing. Product is shipped from China.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2022, 08:40 AM   #27
toddwalton
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
It's not a known brand. I found this via another thread on the forum. It's an Amazon listing. Product is shipped from China.
Please be very careful, roof racks can be very dangerous to yourself and other drivers if they are not made properly and are not designed to fit properly or meet weight requirements on your car.

There's a reason that roof racks cost 2x or 3x what you paid that Chinese company on Amazon, a reason that roof rack brands diligently test their products for weight limits and fitments. It's not like a sweater where if the thing is crap all its doing is making you look bad. This could actually hurt you or other people.
Appreciate 1
      12-06-2022, 09:10 AM   #28
chefwong
Major
Rep
Drives: X5

? for those familar

While the mounts have the neoprene/rubber, is everything setup so that it doesn't scratch the rails. I'm planning to head over to my detailer shop and get some scrap PPF to put on these mount areas temporarily to mitigate potential scratching if any ?
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2022, 11:39 AM   #29
JoeyDDD0919
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Please be very careful, roof racks can be very dangerous to yourself and other drivers if they are not made properly and are not designed to fit properly or meet weight requirements on your car.

There's a reason that roof racks cost 2x or 3x what you paid that Chinese company on Amazon, a reason that roof rack brands diligently test their products for weight limits and fitments. It's not like a sweater where if the thing is crap all its doing is making you look bad. This could actually hurt you or other people.
I totally understand your concerns. I'm only using this to carry 2-3 pairs of skis at maximum so these bars won't carrying much of weight. As far as manufacturing goes, these bars are about the same quality I see from Rack Attack.
Appreciate 1
toddwalton1328.50
      12-07-2022, 10:44 AM   #30
toddwalton
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chefwong View Post
? for those familar

While the mounts have the neoprene/rubber, is everything setup so that it doesn't scratch the rails. I'm planning to head over to my detailer shop and get some scrap PPF to put on these mount areas temporarily to mitigate potential scratching if any ?
Everything is set up so that nothing scratches the rails. I've been using OEM BMW roof rails for the last 10+ years and the rubber grippers do a great job, not a scratch or imperfection once removed.

Don't put a foreign material between the roof rail grippers and the rails. There are very specific mounting instructions from BMW to protect you and others on the road from runaway roof cargo. Weight, size, even the mounting locations are specified. This isn't something you want to mess with. Safety is paramount. You don't want to put something up there that might cause a slippage or loosening and have your cargo box go airborne on the highway and cause an accident.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2022, 10:54 AM   #31
JoeyDDD0919
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Added Thule Snowpack on there.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-13-2022, 11:27 AM   #32
unfoundnemo
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2022 i4 M50

Garage List
2022 BMW i4 M50  [0.00]
2022 BMW X7  [0.00]
Quote:

+1. I let my co-worker borrow my box for a trip over the summer with his Telluride and he bought some random cheap bars from amazon. They were super thin and he said the box was secure, but there was a ton of flex and vertical movement that didn't happen with my OEM bars.

Last edited by unfoundnemo; 12-13-2022 at 11:46 AM..
Appreciate 1
toddwalton1328.50
      01-12-2023, 09:12 PM   #33
Sensibletom
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW X7

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by unfoundnemo View Post
+1. I let my co-worker borrow my box for a trip over the summer with his Telluride and he bought some random cheap bars from amazon. They were super thin and he said the box was secure, but there was a ton of flex and vertical movement that didn't happen with my OEM bars.
Owners of the OEM Crossbars. When you tighten the end, does it actually “click”? I’ve tightened mine pretty tight and I’m not getting a click and I guess I’m afraid to go any further. Do you tighten until you literally get an actual click sound?
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2023, 02:03 PM   #34
toddwalton
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sensibletom View Post
Owners of the OEM Crossbars. When you tighten the end, does it actually “click”? I’ve tightened mine pretty tight and I’m not getting a click and I guess I’m afraid to go any further. Do you tighten until you literally get an actual click sound?
I have them and, yes, that's the system's way of audibly telling you it's reached the proper tightness. Stop at the click, but don't worry about going further. You have to in order to get the dial into the "Y" position so that the locks set properly. I usually go 2-3 extra clicks for that reason.

So keep turning, get through the first click, perhaps another or two to leave the dial looking like an upright "Y", and then you're all set.
Appreciate 1
      01-13-2023, 02:43 PM   #35
Sensibletom
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW X7

Garage List
Quote:
I have them and, yes, that's the system's way of audibly telling you it's reached the proper tightness. Stop at the click, but don't worry about going further. You have to in order to get the dial into the "Y" position so that the locks set properly. I usually go 2-3 extra clicks for that reason.

So keep turning, get through the first click, perhaps another or two to leave the dial looking like an upright "Y", and then you're all set.
Yep…. They did click. I was hesitant at first because I thought I might strip something but I guess it’s like some of the gas caps. Thanks for your reply!
Appreciate 1
toddwalton1328.50
      01-14-2023, 09:08 PM   #36
toddwalton
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sensibletom View Post
Yep…. They did click. I was hesitant at first because I thought I might strip something but I guess it’s like some of the gas caps. Thanks for your reply!

You're welcome! Please also remember that there are specific hashmarks embossed in the rails that indicate the exact mounting locations of the OEM crossbars. That's an important safety feature.
Appreciate 1